Another Reason Not to Use those Antibacterial Gels

MrPete

They are now reporting that those that contain Triclosen could increase the risk of infertility, early puberty and other hormone-related problems.

Too bad Carnival changed their stance from education, to instillation.

This has been a friendly PSA.

Risk of infertility! Sign me up! I already got 6 little bedwetters runnin around the double wide now!

No. U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations do not allow the use of triclosan as an active ingredient in "leave on" products like hand sanitizer. PURELL hand sanitizer products do not contain triclosan"

Well someone should tell Bath and Body works because I have a tube at my desk that says "active ingredient Triclosan" I stopped using it awhile ago when I first heard about the problem with this ingredient (why I still have it sitting on my desk is a mystery :D )

I eat foods and take supplements that will aid my immune system. Maybe at one time our immune systems were fine, but all the crap they put in the food we eat (like all the antibiotics they give chickens, cows, pigs etc) has screwed around with them - at least IMO - and I don't think I'm alone.

When I'm on a cruise or it's flu season, I wash my hands as often as I can. I use a non-triclosan alcohol based sanitizer gel when there isn't a convenient way to wash my hands. I also bring wipes for the handrails - because I need the handrails on the stairs.

I'm not a clean freak or a germ phobe by any means, but I did have Noro once (and it wasn't on Carnival :cool: ), so it's made me more cautious on ship than I normally would be.

Well someone should tell Bath and Body works because I have a tube at my desk that says "active ingredient Triclosan" I stopped using it awhile ago when I first heard about the problem with this ingredient (why I still have it sitting on my desk is a mystery :D )

I eat foods and take supplements that will aid my immune system. Maybe at one time our immune systems were fine, but all the crap they put in the food we eat (like all the antibiotics they give chickens, cows, pigs etc) has screwed around with them - at least IMO - and I don't think I'm alone.

When I'm on a cruise or it's flu season, I wash my hands as often as I can. I use a non-triclosan alcohol based sanitizer gel when there isn't a convenient way to wash my hands. I also bring wipes for the handrails - because I need the handrails on the stairs.

I'm not a clean freak or a germ phobe by any means, but I did have Noro once (and it wasn't on Carnival :cool: ), so it's made me more cautious on ship than I normally would be.

I don't remember when that reg came out, but it's been several years. My bath & bodyworks soap as well as most rinse off soaps still contain ticlosan. The gels I bought from them the last 3 years do not contain it. It has been long time since purell stopped using it. Relax folks, the INTERNAL alcohol you consume on the cruise will do a lot more damage that the hand sanatizer.

If you don't like hand sanitizer then don't go on an NCL cruise - they will practically tackle you at the front door to spray sanitizer on you. I saw them chase a guy halfway down the room once! :eek:

"Washy washy" :D

In five sailings with them... yes they are often there in person offering hand sanitizer when reboarding the ship and at the entrance to the restaurants. They have never pressured me to use it though (and I never have).

Tom

I won't use the sanitizer gels. I tried a couple times and my skin was not happy. I do wash my hands well before going to eat and use my elbow on the stair rails or a knuckle on the elevator buttons. I'm an archaeologist and have had to do a number of bodily functions behind the bushes and never became ill because I couldn't wash or sanitize my hands. A dirty bathroom doesn't faze me, either, because I take care in how I touch things.

I don't remember when that reg came out, but it's been several years. My bath & bodyworks soap as well as most rinse off soaps still contain ticlosan. The gels I bought from them the last 3 years do not contain it. It has been long time since purell stopped using it. Relax folks, the INTERNAL alcohol you consume on the cruise will do a lot more damage that the hand sanatizer.

I bought the sanitizer from Bath and Body Works last fall - just before I read about the issues with the triclosan. Probably why I'm reluctant to throw the tube away - it's nearly full

This will probably bring on the gunfire but here goes. Growing up in the Fifties, we drank out of garden hoses, ran around barefoot, shared a bottle of soda with five different friends, worked out in the fields all day and stopped in the middle of the field to have a sandwich without washing our hands and we were rarely sick. Why, because we had built up an immune system in our bodies that fought off sickness. It's no wonder so many people are sick now with constantly worrying about getting a germ on them.

Yes, the Norovirus can be nasty but that could very well be because we have gotten so paranoid about building up immunities in our bodies.

TricloSAN is the active ingredient in antibacterial SOAP that is in the restrooms and probably in YOUR kitchen and bath. It is NOT permitted by the FDA in leave on product like hand sanitizers.

From the Purell site

"Do PURELL® products contain triclosan?

No. U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations do not allow the use of triclosan as an active ingredient in "leave on" products like hand sanitizer. PURELL hand sanitizer products do not contain triclosan"

The active ingredient in hand sanitizers is alcohol, which is indeed dehydrating externally as well as internally:p

Sanitize away if your skin isn't dry

Cindy in phamaceutical chemist mode.

Kind of thought this wasn't what I had read, so I don't know where you're getting your information that the FDA doesn't allow the use of triclosan.

"The Food and Drug Administration is finally going to decide whether antibacterial soap actually works, or if it's causing more harm than good. Government researchers plan to deliver a review this year on the effectiveness and safety of triclosan, the germ-killing ingredient found in an estimated 75 percent of antibacterial liquid soaps and body washes sold in the United States. The chemical has been in U.S. households for more than 40 years, used for cleaning kitchens, people's bodies and clothing."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57582621/does-antibacterial-soap-cause-more-harm-than-good-fda-to-decide-after-four-decades/

Funny thing about probiotics...they don't work either. :eek: They are not a part of your "normal" ingestive system/colon flora. The lactobacillus in probiotics is not the same as the lactobacillus in yogurt. Likewise for many other small flora in your system. So basically , with probiotics, you're introducing "foreign " matter into a very complex system. So anytime you intake large amounts of "foreign" bodies into your system, your system is going to react. But the whole woo meister marketing message of "improving your immune system" is bunk. The colon, or ingestion system does not store "toxins". For most of us, our immune system is just fine and has been genetically evolved over thousands of years to a very fine immune set point.

Interesting! You are the first person I have ever heard make this statement. My daughter studies nutrition, we do pretty much everything holistically, I will have to ask her about this. All I know is I never get sick, never get vaccinated, and take probiotics to keep my good bacteria in balance. Every naturopath I have consulted with has agreed this is a good thing to do. I will do some research on your theory.

Pat

They have been proven to work. Why do you think they are used in every hospital in America? There is a lot of evidenced based research out there on them.

You produce the research and I will believe you!!

Pat

Kind of thought this wasn't what I had read, so I don't know where you're getting your information that the FDA doesn't allow the use of triclosan.

"The Food and Drug Administration is finally going to decide whether antibacterial soap actually works, or if it's causing more harm than good. Government researchers plan to deliver a review this year on the effectiveness and safety of triclosan, the germ-killing ingredient found in an estimated 75 percent of antibacterial liquid soaps and body washes sold in the United States. The chemical has been in U.S. households for more than 40 years, used for cleaning kitchens, people's bodies and clothing."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57582621/does-antibacterial-soap-cause-more-harm-than-good-fda-to-decide-after-four-decades/

Triclosan is banned in LEAVE ON sanitizer gels like Purell, not soaps, bath gel, toothpastes or sponges, floor underlaiment or some plastic toys with antimicrobial properties.

My purse size GEL bought from Bath & body works last fall does not have triclosan, though my soap does. Purell hasn't used it for several years since it was found to be no more effective than the alcohol based one, about 2009 I think.

Here is the ingedient statement about the spray sanitizer used on NCL

"Clorox hand sanitizer is formulated with 71 percent ethyl alcohol and provides strong efficacy, killing greater than 99.999 percent of germs in as little as 15 seconds. Clorox hand sanitizer contains premium emollients, such as glycerin and glycerol monolaurate, to keep hands moist and soft instead of leaving them sticky or greasy like gels and foams can."

If alcohol is just as effective, why would anyone use triclosan in a product that can be made with alcohol? It's a lot more expensive. My soap from Bath & Body works has 0.3% in it, Nothing to lose any sleep over.

Here is a list of the B&BW products that contain triclosan

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=triclosan&origkw=triclosan&sr=1

None of their leave on sanitizer gels have it.

TricloSAN is the active ingredient in antibacterial SOAP that is in the restrooms and probably in YOUR kitchen and bath. It is NOT permitted by the FDA in leave on product like hand sanitizers.

From the Purell site

"Do PURELL® products contain triclosan?

The active ingredient in hand sanitizers is alcohol, which is indeed dehydrating externally as well as internally:p

Sanitize away if your skin isn't dry

Cindy in phamaceutical chemist mode.

Was just going to comment, my germ-x hand sanitizer has ethyl alcohol as its main ingredients.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

They are now reporting that those that contain Triclosen could increase the risk of infertility, early puberty and other hormone-related problems.

Too bad Carnival changed their stance from education, to instillation.

This has been a friendly PSA.

I guess I used too much of it on my cruises! :eek: Of course I'm missing the puberty part!

There are things I do on a cruise that are much worse for me that using hand gel. I think I'll keep taking that risk. ;-)

Yep! The best way to prevent the spread is good old soap and water while singing happy birthday twice.

But really, how do you prevent not touching anything from the restroom to the buffet? That's a hard task.

Completely untrue as proven by fact. My 12 year old had horrible abdominal pain and was taken to the top hospital in the usa. The pro-biotics have been the best thing that has happened for her. I won't get into specifics but your post is a joke.

I have to agree with you from first hand experience. Probiotics are very effective and not just for gastro issues either.

As for the antibacterial soaps....it doesn't matter people, just wash your dang hands ;)

For those of you that like Bath & Body Works stuff, I use the aroma-therapy ones (stress relief/sleep etc)..I have the stress relief Eucalyptus~Spearmint in front of me now (just grabbed it to check ingredients)...none of that triclosan in it.

Archived