Another Reason Not to Use those Antibacterial Gels

MrPete

They are now reporting that those that contain Triclosen could increase the risk of infertility, early puberty and other hormone-related problems.

Too bad Carnival changed their stance from education, to instillation.

This has been a friendly PSA.

I just don't like the way the stuff feels. I wash my hands frequently and thoroughly, then I don't put them in my mouth.

Gotta, I'm with you. I tried it once and it dried my hands out so bad, I havent' used any since. I too wash frequently and moisturize my hands.

They are now reporting that those that contain Triclosen could increase the risk of infertility, early puberty and other hormone-related problems.

Well, I think this was the case in some animal studies, but no confirmation that its true for humans. And not sure how statistically significant the animal findings were. So the FDA is "studying" this further.

At present though you can assume no public health hazards to humans.

In the meantime though, under a less scare tactics nudge, they are reporting that Tricolsen DOES NOT have any extra benefical effects over using just soap and water. This alone says, why waste your money, if soap and water are available. However, as the key word here is "EXTRA". That implies you can still get benefits using these products when soap and water are NOT readily available. So nothing wrong with carrying it around on your travels.

Too bad Carnival changed their stance from education, to instillation.

Not all of them do - like with everything else you have to read the labels and shop around.

People just need to be smart on how it is used. My goodness, we have been using the stuff for years and nothing has happened. Yes, it is always better to wash your hands with soap and water, but if I am in port and want to grab a snack, I'll wash my hands, but more than likely no soap is available. Use common sense folks when using the anti-bacterial gels, and use it in moderation just like anything else.

There are things I do on a cruise that are much worse for me that using hand gel. I think I'll keep taking that risk. ;-)

Hand gels have never been proven to work. Effective for a very short time after using them. Better off to take probiotics to strengthen your immune system.

Pat

I prefer soap and water, but when you go to some of the ports, the restrooms are not that well stocked or taken care of. So I take my antibacterial hand gel for those occasions. Heck I even had to use it in Galveston on the Strand...

Hand gels have never been proven to work. Effective for a very short time after using them. Better off to take probiotics to strengthen your immune system.

Pat

Funny thing about probiotics...they don't work either. :eek: They are not a part of your "normal" ingestive system/colon flora. The lactobacillus in probiotics is not the same as the lactobacillus in yogurt. Likewise for many other small flora in your system. So basically , with probiotics, you're introducing "foreign " matter into a very complex system. So anytime you intake large amounts of "foreign" bodies into your system, your system is going to react. But the whole woo meister marketing message of "improving your immune system" is bunk. The colon, or ingestion system does not store "toxins". For most of us, our immune system is just fine and has been genetically evolved over thousands of years to a very fine immune set point.

Soap and water...all you need.

You can't kill all unwanted viruses/bacteria in the world even if we wanted to b/c they mutate and become immune to products anyway. We get enough chemical exposure as it is and those sanitizers are just stupid...in my opinion. BUT, I always see people going to the restroom and leave without washing their hands...nasty.

Funny thing about probiotics...they don't work either. :eek: They are not a part of your "normal" ingestive system/colon flora. The lactobacillus in probiotics is not the same as the lactobacillus in yogurt. Likewise for many other small flora in your system. So basically , with probiotics, you're introducing "foreign " matter into a very complex system. So anytime you intake large amounts of "foreign" bodies into your system, your system is going to react. But the whole woo meister marketing message of "improving your immune system" is bunk. The colon, or ingestion system does not store "toxins". For most of us, our immune system is just fine and has been genetically evolved over thousands of years to a very fine immune set point.

Well said, a lot of stuff gets sold to a lot of people that does no good and in some cases even does harm.

Does anyone here get "the look" from staff who are standing by the soap machine before you go into the buffet? They won't say anything to you if you don't use the stuff, but you do get the look like you're contaminated. I hate the stuff and I do wash my hands thoroughly. What bothers me the most, people using the soap then licking their fingers while eating, then going back for seconds and picking up the serving spoons.:eek:

Pat

They have been proven to work. Why do you think they are used in every hospital in America? There is a lot of evidenced based research out there on them.

Completely untrue as proven by fact. My 12 year old had horrible abdominal pain and was taken to the top hospital in the usa. The pro-biotics have been the best thing that has happened for her. I won't get into specifics but your post is a joke.

Triclosan is also the active ingredient in Bath & Body Works gentle-foaming hand soap. I love that soap.

My favorite foaming soap fragrance from Bath & Body Works is the Lime Coconut Verbena. I live quite a ways from a store and I buy enough to last me a year. :p

Like most things use with moderation

If you are one of those compulsive types who use it all the time I'm sure there could be issues

However if used right and in the right circumstances

I for one use them if I'm I'm a doc office , hospital or in close quarters. With many people

TricloSAN is the active ingredient in antibacterial SOAP that is in the restrooms and probably in YOUR kitchen and bath. It is NOT permitted by the FDA in leave on product like hand sanitizers.

From the Purell site

"Do PURELL® products contain triclosan?

No. U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations do not allow the use of triclosan as an active ingredient in "leave on" products like hand sanitizer. PURELL hand sanitizer products do not contain triclosan"

The active ingredient in hand sanitizers is alcohol, which is indeed dehydrating externally as well as internally:p

Sanitize away if your skin isn't dry

Cindy in phamaceutical chemist mode.

Completely untrue as proven by fact. My 12 year old had horrible abdominal pain and was taken to the top hospital in the usa. The pro-biotics have been the best thing that has happened for her. I won't get into specifics but your post is a joke.

I agree 100% with what you said. I was sick for 6 months with intestinal problems. I lost a lot of weight and after hundreds of tests, they couldn't find what was wrong with me. I happened upon a product called "Good Belly" a probiotic. What did I have to lose, so I tried it. Within 3 days my intestinal problem went away and I haven't had a recurrence. DH and I swear by this product, and my doctor(s) were baffled.

TricloSAN is the active ingredient in antibacterial SOAP that is in the restrooms and probably in YOUR kitchen and bath. It is NOT permitted by the FDA in leave on product like hand sanitizers.

From the Purell site

"Do PURELL® products contain triclosan?

No. U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations do not allow the use of triclosan as an active ingredient in "leave on" products like hand sanitizer. PURELL hand sanitizer products do not contain triclosan"

The active ingredient in hand sanitizers is alcohol, which is indeed dehydrating externally as well as internally:p

Sanitize away if your skin isn't dry

Cindy in phamaceutical chemist mode.

I just grabbed my sanitizer in my bathroom and it says ACTIVE INGREDIANT: TRICLOSAN. 11.5%

triclosan is the active ingredient in antibacterial soap that is in the restrooms and probably in your kitchen and bath. It is not permitted by the fda in leave on product like hand sanitizers.

From the purell site

"do purell® products contain triclosan?

No. U.s. Food and drug administration (fda) regulations do not allow the use of triclosan as an active ingredient in "leave on" products like hand sanitizer. Purell hand sanitizer products do not contain triclosan"

the active ingredient in hand sanitizers is alcohol, which is indeed dehydrating externally as well as internally:p

sanitize away if your skin isn't dry

cindy in phamaceutical chemist mode.

agree!

Archived