Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

I can not say for sure as we have always used it all but before I purchased it the first time I rang up and asked what would happen to unused OBC and I was told we would lose it but when I checked the account on board the OBC was listed as refundable so I think I may have been given the wrong information.

You purchase it online. It is very easy to do but I do not know which cruise lines apart from Celebrity do it. Below is the link for Celebrity cruises.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/category/viewCollection.do?cat=ONBDCR&coll=ONBDCR

Buying OBC on X is charged in AUD but will there be foreign exchange fees? Trying to figure out if I can use my points credit card - but not wanting any fees.

Otherwise I could use by 28 degrees card.

Anyone know?

Buying OBC on X is charged in AUD but will there be foreign exchange fees? Trying to figure out if I can use my points credit card - but not wanting any fees.

Otherwise I could use by 28 degrees card.

Anyone know?

I think it must depend on the card. I have been charged fees when using my Visa so changed to MasterCard and do not get charged fees.

Leaving in 3 weeks. Not good

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I leave in 1 week so no biigy as most things were paid for and cash bought last year when it was higher (above parity), however, it will cramp my style somewhat for my future trips. Such is life.:)

Leaving for South America in 3 weeks as well, 2 weeks land travel in Chile and Argentina pre cruise, but all paid for. Certainly the exchange rate has an impact one's spending, we are away 3 months. The UK rate is almost AUD$2 to GBP£1.

But at the end of the day, no one forces us to travel and there are many Australians who cannot afford to travel, let us face it, most of us on CC are the fortunate ones who can travel.

Edited by NSWP

Leaving for South America in 3 weeks as well, 2 weeks land travel in Chile and Argentina pre cruise, but all paid for. Certainly the exchange rate has an impact one's spending, we are away 3 months. The UK rate is almost AUD$2 to GBP£1.

But at the end of the day, no one forces us to travel and there are many Australians who cannot afford to travel, let us face it, most of us on CC are the fortunate ones who can travel.

Very true.

Very true, we are lucky.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Appreciate past posts and follow-ups on this thread. Just letting you know that we have not forgotten wonderful Australia and New Zealand. In checking the Wall Street Journal this morning, the Aussie dollar is up to $0.9230. Big jump up from what we enjoyed around 88-89 cents when there in January. From the Sidney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia this morning, they have this headline: "Australian dollar hits new 2014 high ahead of Glenn Stevens speech" with these highlights: "Australia's dollar has hit a fresh 2014 high on growing speculation that China will turbo-charge its slowing economy. The Aussie was the best performing currency in overnight Tuesday in overseas trade. The local unit continued rise came despite international media talking it down, saying the Aussie was expensive considering there will be less demand for resources as China's growth eases. But traders are hopeful Beijing will accelerate stimulus measures to stabilise its economy. Last week Chinese authorities approved five railway projects worth 142 billion yuan ($A25.03 billion). Credit Suisse China economist Dong Tao expected it to be the beginning of a minor stimulus and expected more projects involving city tracks, anti-pollution and clean energy to be announced. The Aussie is fetching about US91.65¢ and some traders are expecting it to rise to as high as US95¢."

During our great "adventure", I got lots of great visuals from Sydney, Tasmania, Kangaroo Island, the Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest areas, etc. Many are shared below on my live/blog from this trip.

THANKS for all of the help and insights! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 45,935 views for this fun posting.

Edited by TLCOhio

Appreciate past posts and follow-ups on this thread. Just letting you know that we have not forgotten wonderful Australia and New Zealand. In checking the Wall Street Journal this morning, the Aussie dollar is up to $0.9230. Big jump up from what we enjoyed around 88-89 cents when there in January. From the Sidney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia this morning, they have this headline: "Australian dollar hits new 2014 high ahead of Glenn Stevens speech" with these highlights: "Australia's dollar has hit a fresh 2014 high on growing speculation that China will turbo-charge its slowing economy. The Aussie was the best performing currency in overnight Tuesday in overseas trade. The local unit continued rise came despite international media talking it down, saying the Aussie was expensive considering there will be less demand for resources as China's growth eases. But traders are hopeful Beijing will accelerate stimulus measures to stabilise its economy. Last week Chinese authorities approved five railway projects worth 142 billion yuan ($A25.03 billion). Credit Suisse China economist Dong Tao expected it to be the beginning of a minor stimulus and expected more projects involving city tracks, anti-pollution and clean energy to be announced. The Aussie is fetching about US91.65¢ and some traders are expecting it to rise to as high as US95¢."

During our great "adventure", I got lots of great visuals from Sydney, Tasmania, Kangaroo Island, the Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest areas, etc. Many are shared below on my live/blog from this trip.

THANKS for all of the help and insights! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I must say that while I am pleased our S has risen slightly, I am not getting any benefit out of it.

My current booked trips are mainly being paid in $AUD and once overseas I need differing currencies than $USD. I think I will need some future cruises to book to take advantage of the current bying power while it lasts.:D

I must say that while I am pleased our S has risen slightly, I am not getting any benefit out of it.

My current booked trips are mainly being paid in $AUD and once overseas I need differing currencies than $USD. I think I will need some future cruises to book to take advantage of the current bying power while it lasts.:D

Still hovering at 92, it even hit 93 for a while on Tuesday.:D

• 2 weeks later...
It is great when we can take advatage of the differences, not so much when they go the other way.:D

Yep. Cuts both ways. My carnival shares are now worth "less" than a few weeks ago just because the Aussie dollar is stronger.

The nice $250 obc on QM2 was rather nice though.

In checking the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have the Aussie dollar at $0.9416. I am still carrying around $155 AUD in my wallet from our Jan-Feb. 2014 adventure down there. Nice to have my small "nest egg" for a future visit there rising in value.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 52,633 views for this fun posting.