Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

Look at upgrades this way :

You get what you paid for or better ... Better means a category higher than the one you booked -

With the new category on Princess you could get the cabin next to where you are and be "upgraded".. I always consider where I am and the next category up - I may not want to be there - so then I don't take the option -

On the other hand I have been generously rewarded and once I was upgraded twice with in a few hours !!!

All that too depends on the cruise line and ship -- I was upgraded to a higher deck forward and over the anchor once ( not Princess) - learn that lesson - be careful what you wish for !!

And I too have been told that it is all computer generated - being in the right place at the right time -- fingers crossed for us all

azippy

PS:::: I cant find the link to today's story either

Thanks all! Well, I did it. I booked my cruise for next summer (and am now researching seasick bands! lol I know the first 2 days are rough) and I chose to gamble. It was either a 7 day RT Seattle or Vancouver Alaskan cruise in an oceanview, or an 11 day RT San Francisco cruise to Alaska next summer in an inside cabin. I'm a teacher. Can't afford better than that! LOL And the bonus is, I live 30 minutes from the port in San Francisco, so I'm saving on airfare. I'm going on a dream vacation and I'm happy to be going. If I get an upgrade...it'll be a bonus! If not, I'll be outside or near a window except when I'm sleeping! Can't complain when you get to go on a cruise, knowing other people in this world can't even begin to consider it. I'll work my way up to Elite status one inside cabin at a time! lol (Okay, so this is the first non-balcony I've ever had, should be interesting, and with a 7 year old!! :eek: )

Booked a guarantee. I don't care much where on the ship we'll be. I've been front, center, and aft and it all feels the same to me, so I chose to gamble by not picking a cabin. Here's hoping I get a visit from the upgrade fairy! I believe in fairies!

Thanks for the link, much appreciated!!

Edited by travln1234

Thanks all! Well, I did it. I booked my cruise for next summer (and am now researching seasick bands! lol I know the first 2 days are rough) and I chose to gamble. It was either a 7 day RT Seattle or Vancouver Alaskan cruise in an oceanview, or an 11 day RT San Francisco cruise to Alaska next summer in an inside cabin. I'm a teacher. Can't afford better than that! LOL And the bonus is, I live 30 minutes from the port in San Francisco, so I'm saving on airfare. I'm going on a dream vacation and I'm happy to be going. If I get an upgrade...it'll be a bonus! If not, I'll be outside or near a window except when I'm sleeping! Can't complain when you get to go on a cruise, knowing other people in this world can't even begin to consider it. I'll work my way up to Elite status one inside cabin at a time! lol (Okay, so this is the first non-balcony I've ever had, should be interesting, and with a 7 year old!! :eek: )

Booked a guarantee. I don't care much where on the ship we'll be. I've been front, center, and aft and it all feels the same to me, so I chose to gamble by not picking a cabin. Here's hoping I get a visit from the upgrade fairy! I believe in fairies!

Nice attitude. I can see you smiling!!

I bought mine through Socttrade for $7.or $7.95:) no other fees or maintenance fees, they even hold the stock AND at one point CCL & RCL stopped paying dividends,I didn't know they resumed:o, lol so I have over $500 in the cash account which I will now do something with. Good investment, even just to sit there. What I do think is a bummer is only getting 1 cruise credit per cruise no matter how long it is. 1 day to however many days=1 credit.:mad:

For those who served in the US military...you can join USAA and start a stock account there. It costs $5 for a trade and the first FIFTY trades are FREE!:D

Congratulations. You will love the cruise out of San Francisco. We've done it many times. Mostly the seas haven't been a problem. On two of them there were a few rough spots on the way north and once south but we think of it this way. The ship rocks us to sleep like we're in a cradle. And the rough seas "thin out the herd" so the ship seems less crowded. ;)

That's true, as most of mine were longer cruises, but now you will have to hit 31 cruises to reach the next plateau for receiving any additional perks for obc. (yes, I know about b2b and solo getting extra)

This was just a bit of information. I'm glad to receive the perks I get, and the stock obc, but, it just seems like a long way off to hit that 31 cruises for the next level . Live too far to do, 1,2,3, or 4 days. lol to add more credits and a faster way to get there.

Just move to California or New York (Florida is out - too many alligators)

For those who served in the US military...you can join USAA and start a stock account there. It costs $5 for a trade and the first FIFTY trades are FREE!:D

Thanks. I have been thinking about checking them out. Now I will. Never knew they had that benefit.

If I want a refreshing drink on a summer day I have "and tonic" as well. With lime of course. It's also a good "slow down" drink if you don't want to drink to much drink some with and some without.

I've also had it in bars a few times when I was the driver. It's nice and refreshing and I've never been charged for it which is a nice plus. :D

I get seasick. I get carsick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. My first cruise was to Alaska and the first night and the next day were REALLY rough seas with people staggering all over the ship. I had asked my doctor for a prescription for seasickness patches. They worked great and I didn't have even a tiny bit of nausea. I highly recommend that you look into patches. I know some folks swear by the bands but, for me, the patches were a godsend.

I get seasick. I get carsick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. My first cruise was to Alaska and the first night and the next day were REALLY rough seas with people staggering all over the ship. I had asked my doctor for a prescription for seasickness patches. They worked great and I didn't have even a tiny bit of nausea. I highly recommend that you look into patches. I know some folks swear by the bands but, for me, the patches were a godsend.

I've heard that the patches work. Some people swear by the bands. Others recommend ginger.

On one ship the comedian said that aliens are tracking earthlings and some of the subjects were on board the ship. He said that we could spot them by the little dots the aliens placed behind the subjects' ears. :D

I've also had it in bars a few times when I was the driver. It's nice and refreshing and I've never been charged for it which is a nice plus. :D

Cool perk.

I had a friend who went into a bar and climbed up on the bar stool and fell off. After he found out that she was alright the bartender leaned over the bar and"said, "Pray God you're not the designated driver." :D

I've used them, too. They DO work. I've used them on every cruise, but I can only stand them for a day or two because they make me sleepy and dry-mouthed. But, I'm usually okay after the first couple of days (particularly in Alaska). It's nice to have the bands, though.

I hear green apples are good for motion sickness, but I can't imagine eating anything when I feel like that!

Cool perk.

I had a friend who went into a bar and climbed up on the bar stool and fell off. After he found out that she was alright the bartender leaned over the bar and"said, "Pray God you're not the designated driver." :D

Funny, Funny, Funny. There is a thread called the funniest thing you have seen on a cruise ship. Too bad this was not on there but it would fit.

Actually I was once on the Song of Norway and a gentleman at the bar was very, shall we say relaxed, and the ship was rolling back and forth on one roll when the ship righted he didn't and both he and the stool ended up on the floor. He did however bounce right back up and put the stool back climbed back on it and continued drinking.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Actually I was once on the Song of Norway and a gentleman at the bar was very, shall we say relaxed, and the ship was rolling back and forth on one roll when the ship righted he didn't and both he and the stool ended up on the floor. He did however bounce right back up and put the stool back climbed back on it and continued drinking.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

I want to hang around you. You seems to see all the fun stuff.:D

I want to hang around you. You seems to see all the fun stuff.:D

Unusual things seem to happen around me that's true and it's a lot of fun. Plus my friends have lots of stories to tell.

Edited by Kentskie

I've used them, too. They DO work. I've used them on every cruise, but I can only stand them for a day or two because they make me sleepy and dry-mouthed. But, I'm usually okay after the first couple of days (particularly in Alaska). It's nice to have the bands, though.

I hear green apples are good for motion sickness, but I can't imagine eating anything when I feel like that!

I've always heard that when you are feeling ill you should eat something and go out on deck. But I would imagine that if you're not feeling well neither of those would appeal. I've never been seasick so far <knock wood> but there have been times when I just wished the ship would stop moving if only for a few minutes. I first typed minuets stopping for a few minuets would be even better. ;)

Quick question, is the $15 corkage fee per bottle or a one time fee?

First 2 bottles per room (1 bottle for each person over 21) are free and may only be consumed in your room. $15 corkage fee for each bottle after that. They mark the bottles somehow and that way the wait staff knows you've paid the corkage fee. It's actually very reasonable. It seems to be the standard corkage fee I pay to bring a bottle into a restaurant here at home.

Tea Time on the Emerald Princess was from 3:30 - 4:30 every day. I agree that the scones were great; served with cream and jam. The scones were the last items served. The waiters started with mini sandwiches, followed by cookies/slices of pound cake, and then the scones. So, save room for them. The only disappointing part about the tea time was that the tea was Lipton, poured from a silver teapot. When you are seated, you walk past a beautiful display of different types of tea (Darjeeling, English Breakfast, etc.), so I found it peculiar that they served Lipton.

Is there a charge for this?

I didn't realize they give you the book. I assumed the reason they post it on their website a couple months in advance is to allow folks to go out and buy it/ read it/ and then have the book club discussions on board. That was a complete surprise to learn they give you the books.

Where do you look for the book on the web site?

Where do you look for the book on the web site?

Here is where they list the books for the book club:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/book_club/bookclub.html

I purchased the book for my upcoming Hawaii sailing. I'm about mid-way through and bored. Oh well. Can't understand why it's a best seller but will go to the book club meeting anyway if nothing conflicts.

Jackie

I understand that the dining room is not opened on port days. What happens when embarkation for some passengers is a port day for others? We're on a segment that is a back to back for others. Or does the ship have to zero out at the end of every segment? :confused: Thanks for any insight :)

I'm booked on a B2B in November and was told that because the computer looks at it as separate segments, each one must be zeroed out separately and a new boarding card generated for each segment. I know I can leave my luggage in the cabin but there's still a question of whether you have to physically de-board the ship and re-board. I've had it answered both ways by 2 different Princess agents. Here's hoping I can sleep in!

On cruising out of SF to Alaska, bear in mind the currents come down the coast from Alaska. So the ship is going against the currents northbound and will feel rougher. It's the same situation sailing back from Mexico to L.A. Ginger and Seabands are supposed to help with seasickness but I'd play it safe and ask the doctor for the prescription patch.