Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

I am slightly intimidated by Roll Call group for my August 16 British Isles cruise. They seem to be light years ahead of me (a 20 cruise vet but I have never been on Princess). Thank you all for the tips.

Don't be intimidated by the Pricness experience of your roll call members.

Feel free to ask them any questions you have and be sure to attend the Meet and Greet onboard to make some instant friends.

I just saw this thread and I am enjoying it immensely. I am slightly intimidated by Roll Call group for my August 16 British Isles cruise. They seem to be light years ahead of me (a 20 cruise vet but I have never been on Princess). Thank you all for the tips.

It's amazing how different boards have different character but don't be intimidated. As Caribill says: Go to the meet and greet. I remember on one board I would post things and no one would respond. I thought I had dudded out on that board but went to the M&G anyway. When I got there several people commented on how much they enjoyed the posts. So you never know.

On my recently completed cruise several veterans weren't aware that they qualified for OBC. It's been a benefit for nearly 2 years & it's surprising when agents don't inform them about this great thanks from Princess. Not everyone reads CC however it is on the Princess website in several locations to inform all veterans. :)

DH always takes a few of the forms to the military get togethers because he feels badly that some people have missed out on it. It doesn't help them for that cruise, of course, but they have something to send in for next time.

It's amazing how different boards have different character but don't be intimidated. As Caribill says: Go to the meet and greet. I remember on one board I would post things and no one would respond. I thought I had dudded out on that board but went to the M&G anyway. When I got there several people commented on how much they enjoyed the posts. So you never know.

Kentskie... Thank you!! I think the roll call is a great idea and I attended a meet and greet on my last cruise... I think I am intimidated by how organized they are and I'm new to the line.

Kentskie... Thank you!! I think the roll call is a great idea and I attended a meet and greet on my last cruise... I think I am intimidated by how organized they are and I'm new to the line.

Just remember that everyone started with a first cruise. As you cruise more you pick up more knowledge to share. I've been on over 50 cruises and there are still things I can learn and hopefully some info that I can share.

With this being a recently added option to exchange a complimentary mini-bar for 2 coffee cards here is the FAQ showing this option in case staff are not aware of it's existence.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=270225&d=1367781320

Thanks for the information about exchanging the alcohol in the mini bar set up for Elite passengers. We ended up giving all our little bottles away to people on our dining table as we didnt drink any of those particular drinks. Good to know we can exchange for coffee cards.

I did not know the walls were magnetic - is that true for the Sapphire as well?

yes the walls are magnetic, i found this out on our last cruise and took magnets so that i could put the patter there, invitations and the like there, a great idea.

Thanks for the information about exchanging the alcohol in the mini bar set up for Elite passengers. We ended up giving all our little bottles away to people on our dining table as we didnt drink any of those particular drinks. Good to know we can exchange for coffee cards.

You can also exchange them for different little bottles.

Thought I'd follow up with my experience. I BOUGHT the stock and faxed the request last Friday. Since we fly out in 3 days, I called them this morning to follow up. They could not have been nicer or given any better customer service than I received. I was told it is no problem doing this with less than 14 days, they just wanted to make sure I was taken care of and a happy customer/stockholder. They even questioned if my husband had military service so they could give us another $250 more in OBC (unfortunately he is not).

Thank you everyone for their input on this. I am so happy that I went ahead and purchased stock to get the OBC on our upcoming voyage. Guess the 14 day advance is not a rule, just a guideline. Wish I would have done this years ago!

Excellent, thank you so much. I was wondering if the military credit and the stockholder's credit could be combined. This answers that question. Just another example of how much you can learn from cruise critic if you're patient and take the time to read.

yes the walls are magnetic, i found this out on our last cruise and took magnets so that i could put the patter there, invitations and the like there, a great idea.

It is a great idea. I use sticky notes as well to remind me of stuff. Embarrassing to have to have your memory stuck on a wall but that's the way it is.

This thread is long! To long to read. We need someone to create a list of the secrets and then others can add to it as the thread evolves. I'm not volunteering though. :)

They did that on the last thread they closed. People don't read the thread and just keep adding the same things.

This thread is long! To long to read. We need someone to create a list of the secrets and then others can add to it as the thread evolves. I'm not volunteering though. :)

Someone on this thread is doing that and I told them to sell it on Amazon as a Kindle Book. ;)

I generally bring a travel mug with me. I do get up early and carrying a coffee cup around the ship with no lid is a losing proposition. Generally a cheap plastic one (I usually can find one in my pantry). I left it for the cabin steward last cruise as I could feel liquid between the layers and it didn't seem worth taking home.

Another thing I use is a collapsible, folding plate cover, just the thing if you want to walk your lunch from the buffet out on the busy deck or even back to your cabin to eat al fresco on the balcony without using room service. It is opaque, proof against nosy eyes.

Regarding the spare box of tissues mentioned above, I will try that next time.

Where did you purchase the dinner plate cover? DH loves to bring a snack back to our cabin after the evening show. :-)

Having read these threads and see that if you were ex Armed Forces you were afforded some benefits, does this same apply for Police and retired Police Officers?

I know of one retired police Lt. Who loved cruising. He took his pension, went to work for a major cruise line and now is head of security for the ship. Three monts on, three months off, lives in officer country on the ship. A sweet retirement I think

Yes they only work in a washing machine. For hand washing put some liquid Tide in a small plastic bottle and put in a ziploc for safekeeping. The sheets do NOT work for hand washing.

I use the sheets in the ship's bathroom sink all the time. I just cut them in strips of 3 beforehand and use one strip. They work great. I've also used shampoo and that works well too. I was told the gel pods could break open on an airplane due to the pressure so I've never tried. You can order the Purex sheets from Amazon but they are not sold in stores anymore that I am aware of. I haven't had the issues of the poor reviews but I don't use them at home. Just for travel. I have also brought bleach tablets by Evolve for my whites and non chlorine powder bleach in individual pill size baggies. I only bring what I think I may need depending on the length of the cruise and whether its warm or cool weather but all in all they don't take up much room and no liquids to deal with. However, if you have a favorite laundry detergent that you like, I've brought in a small bottle in zip lock bag before too. It's whatever works.

The chicken salad at the IC is absolutely yum!!!

It is and I just made some Chicken Salad today for lunch.

There is a Peddler's Fair near where we live. It was very crowded and very fun. And best of all I resisted all temptation to buy.

I think you mean the walls are made of a ferrous metal or has iron in it where a magnet will attract. But that is a good tip.

On my last two cruises on the Island Princess, I brought my own loose leaf tea and they were kind enough to brew a pot for me. As far as Thomas Lipton goes, maybe it's just an homage to the man who represented England several times in the top sailing race in the world, the America's Cup.

Thanks for that, I always travel with my loose leaf Spearole Green Tea and take an immerser thingy to put in the cup, much prefer a teapot.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app