Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

Thanks for the link for military veterans to get an OBC. When we asked our travel agent at AAA about perks for veterans, she said there was nothing available! :( Our first cruise is in a few weeks, so my husband has just enough time to send this out.

My Princess agent was good enough to ask me if I was a veteran then told me how to get it. Additionally she told me that if I added my Captain Circle number they would automatically put it on my profile and I will become automatic when I book a cruise.

My Princess agent was good enough to ask me if I was a veteran then told me how to get it. Additionally she told me that if I added my Captain Circle number they would automatically put it on my profile and I will become automatic when I book a cruise.

I would always double check on that Veteran OBC and not be dependant upon your Captain Circle.

I understand that the dining room is not opened on port days. What happens when embarkation for some passengers is a port day for others? We're on a segment that is a back to back for others. Or does the ship have to zero out at the end of every segment? :confused: Thanks for any insight :)

I understand that the dining room is not opened on port days. What happens when embarkation for some passengers is a port day for others? We're on a segment that is a back to back for others. Or does the ship have to zero out at the end of every segment? :confused: Thanks for any insight :)

Good question I'll ask some friends of ours who recently did three back to backs hopefully they'll know.

Edited by Kentskie

On embarkation day the dining room is open (12 to 1:30) for continuing and new passengers.

Yes, the ship must zero out every turnaround day in the USA.

I agree and do. One thing I learned be in management, follow-up, follow-up, follow-up

Hey Jim -

Not sure if you've been following the AZ Cruisers thread. We are having a get together at Westgate Magaritaville on Labor Day if you want to join us. I think the next one after that will be more south. If not Tucson, at least Casa Grande.

Hey Jim -

Not sure if you've been following the AZ Cruisers thread. We are having a get together at Westgate Magaritaville on Labor Day if you want to join us. I think the next one after that will be more south. If not Tucson, at least Casa Grande.

Thanks for the info. I use to follow that thread a lot, but have not for years. We tried to get somethings started and I did meet a couple of people when I was in Sahuarita. I guess it is time to get back to it. I have more time now.

Thanks for the info. I use to follow that thread a lot, but have not for years. We tried to get somethings started and I did meet a couple of people when I was in Sahuarita. I guess it is time to get back to it. I have more time now.

Everyone is welcome. :D. We have about 30 so far for the Labor Day gathering.

Always something interesting on the cc boards

I have never seen them check the bottle of water you carry back on. They expect you to have water with you. Good thing as I have been known to buy a pint of gin and carry it back in that water bottle !!!!

At embarkation they check the water thoroughly - even the case you might drag on -- I brought a 12 pack - the kind sealed in plastic wrap and was pulled over for a check - the fellow shook the entire package and looked at the bubbles - do not know what kind of bubble liquor might produce - I asked & he smiled ~~ now there is a Princess secret !!!

azippy

That happened on a ship we were on except they had to open a bottle. The people said that it was sealed and you could hear it pop open but they still had to open it. :rolleyes:

I take a bottle or two of tonic water onboard. I like to drink "and tonic". It's just like Gin and Tonic but without the gin. :) I like to drink just tonic and lime. Tonic water is supposed to have bubbles! I would be pretty peeved to have my fizzy water opened so that it went flat.

Originally Posted by Ga Peach

Great info..thanks. We've been to Alaska once several years ago and plan to take one of the Princess trips next June or July. The Grand Princess seems to offer the itinerary that best suits us. Any other words of wisdom on Alaska?

Ann

Tracy's Crab Shack. Get off the boat, (I think) turn left, and enjoy the best crab legs ever in Juneau. Only nibbled but should have skipped the ship's dinner. It was that good.

There is a free National Park Ranger walk in Skagway. I love these tours. Get there early for a free ticket.

I take a bottle or two of tonic water onboard. I like to drink "and tonic". It's just like Gin and Tonic but without the gin. :) I like to drink just tonic and lime. Tonic water is supposed to have bubbles! I would be pretty peeved to have my fizzy water opened so that it went flat.

If I want a refreshing drink on a summer day I have "and tonic" as well. With lime of course. It's also a good "slow down" drink if you don't want to drink to much drink some with and some without.

If you're in Haines the Bamboo Room and Pioneer Bar is a great place for freshly caught Halibut. It's a fun and funky place. Despite the two names it's one place.

Here's a URL.

http://www.bamboopioneer.net/

We usually get Halibut and chips. Last time we got the small order and regretted it because it's so good. :)

One secret I'd like to know is the one about the elusive upgrade fairy! I'm debating who I should book with, in hopes I might be the lucky chosen one. lol Not expecting it, no. I do wonder if it requires a booking through Princess or if it happens with other TA's, too.

One secret I'd like to know is the one about the elusive upgrade fairy! I'm debating who I should book with, in hopes I might be the lucky chosen one. lol Not expecting it, no. I do wonder if it requires a booking through Princess or if it happens with other TA's, too.

People on our last cruise were saying there's no longer rhyme or reason. It's all done by computer. Don't know if it's true or not.

I've only ever gotten "within category" upgrades when I booked directly thru the cruise line. Then all of a sudden I noticed this week I got upgraded from an MB to an MA and I am booked thru a TA this time.

My one real upgrade - from balcony to Penthouse suite was on NCL, but they called and offered it for a charge of $280 per person. Well worth it.

There is an article on Cruise Critic today with tips to try and get that upgrade.

Main advice seems to be

"But if you're still yearning for that upgrade, how do you get one? We contend the best way to land an upgrade offer is to hope and pray, because for the most part, there's little rhyme or reason to who gets a bump."

Main advice seems to be

"But if you're still yearning for that upgrade, how do you get one? We contend the best way to land an upgrade offer is to hope and pray, because for the most part, there's little rhyme or reason to who gets a bump."

Lol. Yep, Plus most of these upgrades are just within the same category. We just got upgraded from an MB to an MA. We are still in the mini suite it's just in a different location on the ship, across the hall and about 15 doors down. That's an upgrade....

The two times I got a free upgrade was when I traveled with my mom (she is in her 80s). First time, I booked an OV & we got a balcony cabin (BA category)! The second time was going from a BD to a BA. I think we got upgraded because she is elderly. We also got free appetizers. They were in the room when we arrived. I try to send them back & was told to enjoy them :-).

- Rose

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Lol. Yep, Plus most of these upgrades are just within the same category. We just got upgraded from an MB to an MA. We are still in the mini suite it's just in a different location on the ship, across the hall and about 15 doors down. That's an upgrade....

Princess has so many cabin categories that moving from one cabin to an identical one is an upgrade. In some cases it's not even desirable.