Food for picky kids in MDR?

Im sailing next week on the Splendor with my 3 year old and my 5 year old. My 5 year old is willing to try food and is a good eater. My 3 year old prefers things that come wrapped, peanut butter and jelly, pancakes and thats about it. What options are there for picky eaters in the main dining rooms for dinner? Breakfast will be a breeze and lunch may be ok too but dinner is where Im worried. I am hoping that the cruise will expand his food repertoire but hoping there will be some of his staples available just in case

Wonderful!!!! they even have PB&J. We told him there was no PB on the cruise ship and that he will have to try new things. Maybe we will make him try new stuff the first night and see how that goes. After all they can't read yet.:D

I took my 8 year old nephew on a cruise last year, and he is ridiculously picky. It makes me crazy, but a deal that we made a few years ago was that he HAD to try one new thing whenever he was with me. I don't think he realized that a 5 day cruise meant 15 meals with new things, lol. He had chicken nuggets, pizza, and a burger in the MDR. He also had a steak one night, which came with asparagus. Lo and behold, that was his new thing for the meal, and he LOVED it. I've actually managed to expand his diet a little by making him do this. He loves all different kinds of fish now. His mom is a terrible cook, and picky as heck too, so I'm not surprised he is such a bad eater. The cruise was a great way to get him to expand his habits, because if he REALLY didn't like food, there was always something else he would eat. One word of warning, he did say the chocolate chip cookies from room service were "The most awfulest cookies ever." His words.

Wonderful!!!! they even have PB&J. We told him there was no PB on the cruise ship and that he will have to try new things. Maybe we will make him try new stuff the first night and see how that goes. After all they can't read yet.:D

Not sure if it's usual or not, but my dd's PB&J came toasted, so if he doesn't like it toasted, make sure you mention that!

You can also get a dish of past a with marinara sauce. There's a pasta of the day listed on the kids menu but our waiter told us that pasta with marinara can be done any night and it was our son's favorite.

A cruise is a great opportunity to introduce your child to new foods. If at first you don't succeed try again. The waiter will have no problem in bring your chid something else if he doesn't eat and don't forget there is always the buffet.

I ordered a pb&j from room service and it came toasted as well. I thought it was strange but I enjoyed it. Ordered it a few more times actually. Nope no kids, just a grown man eating a PB&J at midnight on the balcony. One day i'll grow up ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im sailing next week on the Splendor with my 3 year old and my 5 year old. My 5 year old is willing to try food and is a good eater. My 3 year old prefers things that come wrapped, peanut butter and jelly, pancakes and thats about it. What options are there for picky eaters in the main dining rooms for dinner? Breakfast will be a breeze and lunch may be ok too but dinner is where Im worried. I am hoping that the cruise will expand his food repertoire but hoping there will be some of his staples available just in case[/quot

My goodness he is only three & it is his vacation too.If you want to take the time to read him the menu that is fine but DON'T make him eat anything that he turns his nose up at. Leave that for home & school age.

Yes this is spoken like a true grandma. :eek:

I love them little boys & yes would say the same thing to my own kids.

MOM MOM OF SEVEN & GG TO THREE !!!!!:D

Char

17 and possibly the pickiest eater you will ever meet. Do like my parents did and don't tell them what it is, have them try it, even if it is part of your meal. If they like it, order it the next night. If they like something, you can generally order it any night from my experience.... I like steak ;)

We let our kids order what they want. Sometimes they surprise us. My daughter couldn't get enough of the strawberry soup one night. The nice thing about the MDR is that you have the option to try new things but also you are able to fall back on the kids menu.

Have fun and he may find something he really likes!

The Mac 'n Cheese is amazingly good. Kids also may like a lot of the pasta dishes. And don't be afraid to ask if there's anything else beside what you see on the menu. Sometimes the wait staff are wonderfully accommodating.

They won't go hungry...and if they do, it's their own fault. A truly hungry child will eat anything that doesn't eat them first....I'm serious. Ignore their non-eating...they will not starve themselves! Yep....from a family of "picky" eaters, until they got hungry enough....now, they eat what everyone else eats!

They won't go hungry...and if they do, it's their own fault. A truly hungry child will eat anything that doesn't eat them first....I'm serious. Ignore their non-eating...they will not starve themselves! Yep....from a family of "picky" eaters, until they got hungry enough....now, they eat what everyone else eats!

Actually, this is very true. Americans seem to think their kids will instantly die if they eat lightly or miss a meal (not necessarily meaning the OP, here, it's just a generalized observation).

We're so worried about it that many of us panic and let the kids live on junk food in order to stave off death by starvation. In fact, one must stop eating several weeks to succumb and keel over.

you can always order mac and cheese or chicken strips. my nephew was the same way. very picky at home and eats next to nothing but on our cruise he tried all kinds or stuff. duck, lobster, fish, and other things and liked it. s

OP your kids will have plenty of options for eating. I wouldn't worry about it not one bit. My two are opposites like yours - one will try anything, the other not so much. I know they will not be hungry. Not on a cruise. If he/she tries new things, fine. If they aren't inclined, don't force it. There's plenty of time to spread ones food wings. Let them enjoy their vacation :)

You enjoy too!

I'm 32 and I'm not 100 percent picky but still sorta picky. I use my cruises as a chance to try things I've never had before. Thanks to Carnival Cruises I have tried the following over the past 5 years: Sushi, pickled octopus, shark, alligator, champagne, wine.

I would pick one meal a day to have him try something new, perhaps at lunch on the lido. I wouldn't suggest at dinner if you are doing it in the dining room in case he has a melt down.

I ordered a pb&j from room service and it came toasted as well. I thought it was strange but I enjoyed it. Ordered it a few more times actually. Nope no kids, just a grown man eating a PB&J at midnight on the balcony. One day i'll grow up ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that not Mr Pressleys favourite midnight snack? Think his was deep fried tho

Was that not Mr Pressleys favourite midnight snack? Think his was deep fried tho

Supposedly with bananas as the legend goes.

Although I saw an interview once with Priscilla and Lisa Marie and they claim that they could never recall him ever having them and have no idea where all that got started .

I encourage my children to try new foods and sometimes force them to eat things they don't like, but they have been perfectly capable of repeatedly going to bed hungry if they don't want to eat something. This is especially hard to watch if you have a skin-and-bones kind of child. And I don't want to deal with a hungry, cranky child when it's my vacation too. :)

My oldest is no longer picky. My middle child ordered fried chicken every night in the mdr, tried small amounts of various foods, and was very happy. My youngest was overwhelmed with new experiences, became twice as picky as normal, and basically lived on fruit, bread, milk, and ice cream. On the second night, when the waiter surprised her with a big bowl of ice cream :D after she refused to eat anything but fruit and bread, we decided just to let her be, as long as she was eating something vaguely healthy before ice cream, and addressed the eating issues when we were home from vacation.

Archived