Article on Carnival, Mexico and future in San Diego

CRUZBUDS

Our last cruise from San Diego - we had east coast friends that spent a couple of days in Las Vegas, they rented a car and drove to San Diego the morning of the cruise. Not really a great idea, but they like to live dangerously ;)

Thats great news

SD is my second favorite port on the west coast

Enjoyed the Spirit and Radiance out of there more than a few times

I do miss Zihuat

Maybe the Legend during winter months 2014/2015:D

Bring back our ships!!! San Diego's port area kicks butt over Long Beach and San Pedro. You are in a tourist area, not a shipping area. It is beautiful, loaded with restaurants, the Midway aircraft carrier museum and Star of India are next door, you can catch a pedi cab into Seaport Village or the Gaslamp, catch a Padre game downtown, etc....

If they are just thinking about developing ports, we are years away from this happening. I still think they will think long and hard about investing the money until they see that violence in Mexico is on the decline.

I still cross the Tijuana boarder every couple of months to go spend the weekend at a friends beach house just north of Ensenada. But I only go if we go on my husbands motorcycle, so we can cut the boarder line on the way home. Otherwise, you can be sitting in your car in that line for four hours on a Sunday!

Hey Carnival,

Until you develop these ports, how about coming back anyway. PLEASE!! I don't mind quick 5 days down to Cabo. Or do what other lines are doing and add in Santa Barabara or SF.

BRING BACK OUR SHIPS!!!!

San Diego was our absolute best port experience. We just LOVED it and might even plan a land vacation to go back.

That said, I'm not too interested in traveling that side of Mexico again. We did LOVE Zihua, but the violence in Mexico worries me, and the Ocean has nothing on the Carribean Sea.

Love SD for HOLLAND AMERICA. Our first Carnival was the Elation out of SD. Easy embarkation and disembarkation. I would love to see them switch up some of the Mexican ports, but I would also love to see a Wine cruise to SF and Vancouver from LB

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We're in the Phoenix area and it was nice to sail from San Diego! The problem with west coast sailings is they take you to Mexico!! I'd like to see a cruise from SD up the coast of California or maybe to Hawaii!

AZmike480

What happened to the new terminal they were building in SD? The last time I cruised out of SD (2012), we expected to use the new terminal but we were at the old terminal.

The new terminal is completed but they didn't make it large enough. The terminal can only accommodate up to 2,600 passengers. I have noticed that most ships still use the old cruise terminal when they are in San Diego.

I know I'm an east coaster, but DH and I both love SD. But, if Carnival is having such a hard time keeping passengers safe on the ships, they really need to think twice about the drug violence in Mexico. It hasn't got much better over the years even with American aid.

I know I'm an east coaster, but DH and I both love SD. But, if Carnival is having such a hard time keeping passengers safe on the ships, they really need to think twice about the drug violence in Mexico. It hasn't got much better over the years even with American aid.

It is funny that drug violence/violence in general is brought up every time cruises to West Coast Mexico is brought up. However, how many ships stop in Cozumel and the Yucatan Peninsula? That is Mexico too, violence is not mentioned every time one talks about those ports of call. The violence in Mexico is generally not targeted at tourists like it is in many Caribbean destinations but that is never brought up either. If one reads through the US State Department's advisory on travel to Mexico vs. many Caribbean countries, a tourist is much safer in Mexico as long as they stick to the tourist zones.

I have been on 2 cruises to Mexico from San Diego, visiting 5 different ports and not one time did I feel unsafe or that there was any danger. Same thing when I went to Tulum recently on a Carnival excursion from Cozumel. I hope that Carnival returns to SD because it is a great port to cruise from.

Jen

The article mentions that Carnival is bringing a third ship to Long Beach. What ship is it? It looks like there is still only going to be the Miracle and one Fantasy class ship. Anyone know details on a third ship coming to the west coast?

The article mentions that Carnival is bringing a third ship to Long Beach. What ship is it? It looks like there is still only going to be the Miracle and one Fantasy class ship. Anyone know details on a third ship coming to the west coast?

They're adding the Imagination early next year (so look for a Panama Canal cruise). We are booked on her in February.

Insiration and Imagination are both sailing out of "Los Angeles" next year.

Bring back our ships!!! San Diego's port area kicks butt over Long Beach and San Pedro. You are in a tourist area, not a shipping area. It is beautiful, loaded with restaurants, the Midway aircraft carrier museum and Star of India are next door, you can catch a pedi cab into Seaport Village or the Gaslamp, catch a Padre game downtown, etc....

Hey Carnival,

Until you develop these ports, how about coming back anyway. PLEASE!! I don't mind quick 5 days down to Cabo. Or do what other lines are doing and add in Santa Barabara or SF.

BRING BACK OUR SHIPS!!!!

Carnival ports in Long Beach (home of the QM). We've developed our shopping area which is much closer than SD. Pike is all restaurants, movie theater, shops, bus line to Belmont shore shops.

It's the port of LA that is shipping.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I too love sailing from San Diego. The cruise lines need to be a little more imaginative when they create the itinerary as seldom visited ports such as Zihuatenejo (My Favorite), La Paz, and Loretto are not al built up to the tourist industry as Cabo is. NCL is sailing next Spring from L.A. to Maz Cabo and PV so one competitor is making a test to get back into the West Coast market.

A West Coast cruise would also be interesting with visits to San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and Ensenada depending on the length of the cruise. In San Fran you could get the win country package and there are lots of interesting things to do in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver. They just need to test the market out.

On a cruise videos site I watched a time lapse video of a repositioning trip from L.A. to Vancouver which was pretty nice video.

Insiration and Imagination are both sailing out of "Los Angeles" next year.

Can't wait to hear the complaints of people missing the ship whe the Imagination is here.

It's hard enough on the Elation with it's dining rooms- the Inspiration DR and Imagination DR

The only problem when sailing RT San Diego is the CBP procedure. Non-US need to get cleared onboard. Sometimes those pax are flaky and hold up debarkation for everyone.

Archived