Dinner in a Speciality Restaurant When in Venice.

karpela

I think it is each to their own, we live in Europe so we visit Venice at least once a year and we are within easy reach of all the other ports. You can eat well and for a reasonable price in Venice but it is also easy to be ripped off. You could easily have your main meal aboard but wander the bars and eat Cicchetti as an appetiser.

Thank you. :)

So back to my original question, what is a good time to book Tuscan Grill as eating 2nd sitting in the MDR will be too late.

I think it is each to their own, we live in Europe so we visit Venice at least once a year and we are within easy reach of all the other ports. You can eat well and for a reasonable price in Venice but it is also easy to be ripped off. You could easily have your main meal aboard but wander the bars and eat Cicchetti as an appetiser.

Virtually all restaurants will have their menu prominently displayed. All one has to do is check them out for both dining selection and prices. If one is too expensive, just move onto the next until you find one you feel has prices you can be comfortable with. The only way you will get ripped off is if you aren't paying attention. And that is not a responsible way to purchase any item while on vacation.

Last November at the end of our cruise on Reflection we found a waterside sidewalk cafe with a view of Rialto bridge and had dinner for around $50 for two people. That compares favorably to the $60 charge a couple would be paying at Tuscan Grille. True, the food was most likely not as scrumptious as Tuscan Grille, but it was still enjoyable, and the ambiance of being feet away from the main canal, with it's unique blend of watercraft activity, and the Rialto Bridge as a background, is hard to beat. That is certainly worth something.

Fortunately, everyone can enjoy their vacation time in the manner they feel is best for them. None is wrong. But for my wife and I, we would spend every possible minute in Venice while there, and then enjoy the ship after we have to leave that magical city on the water. We've been fortunate to have visited Venice three times, each time staying for several days, and are looking forward to yet another visit sometime in the future.

Thank you. :)

So back to my original question, what is a good time to book Tuscan Grill as eating 2nd sitting in the MDR will be too late.

I would book for 6:30 pm. Figure on spending about 1 1/2 hours or so in Tuscan Grill. Walk off ship before 8:30 pm and you'll be in Venice to enjoy a sunset, which happens just before 9 pm, and you'll still have a good two hours or so to wander around Venice before heading back on board. (I don't know about you but we like to be tucked in for the night by midnight if not sooner. ;)).

Virtually all restaurants will have their menu prominently displayed. All one has to do is check them out for both dining selection and prices. If one is too expensive, just move onto the next until you find one you feel has prices you can be comfortable with. The only way you will get ripped off is if you aren't paying attention. And that is not a responsible way to purchase any item while on vacation.

Last November at the end of our cruise on Reflection we found a waterside sidewalk cafe with a view of Rialto bridge and had dinner for around $60 for two people. That compares favorably to the $80 charge a couple would be paying at Tuscan Grille. True, the food was most likely not as scrumptious as Tuscan Grille, but it was still enjoyable, and the ambiance of being feet away from the main canal, with it's unique kind of boating activity, and the Rialto Bridge as a background, is hard to beat. That is certainly worth something.

I disagree.

We are very regular visitors to Venice and a "rip off" is not confined to price. It can encompass portion size and quality. We are very happy to pay 5* prices for a 5* experience, but in Venice sometimes you can pay those prices and not receive that experience. We are more than willing to pay for quality, service and ambiance, a menu does not always tell the full story.

I disagree.

We are very regular visitors to Venice and a "rip off" is not confined to price. It can encompass portion size and quality. We are very happy to pay 5* prices for a 5* experience, but in Venice sometimes you can pay those prices and not receive that experience. We are more than willing to pay for quality, service and ambiance, a menu does not always tell the full story.

Yes, but you visit every year. For those of us who are either there for the first time, or visit infrequently, sometimes there is more at stake than just the cost or portion size of a single meal. Experiencing to the fullest a once in a life time visit has a value that is often more important than a few dollars spent.

But, it does come down to what does a person value most - saving a few $$$ on a meal, or enjoying the experience to it's fullest. It's a decision each person makes based on their own criteria. For my wife and I, if money were tight, we would have fewer drinks on the ship so we could enjoy more of Venice. I can eat in restaurants that are on a par with Tuscan Grille any day of the week at home. I can't say the same for my few hours in Venice.

I would book for 6:30 pm. Figure on spending about 1 1/2 hours or so in Tuscan Grill. Walk off ship before 8:30 pm and you'll be in Venice to enjoy a sunset, which happens just before 9 pm, and you'll still have a good two hours or so to wander around Venice before heading back on board. (I don't know about you but we like to be tucked in for the night by midnight if not sooner. ;)).

Thank you, sounds perfect! :)

My point was there are places where you can really have it all.

A 5* experience and the full experience that is Venice. If you do your homework it can be an unforgettable dining experience, but if you do not then yes, you have the Venice experience tempered by the feeling that you have been ripped off. Why settle?

Here's another vote for staying and dining in Venice. I know that the OP has his/her mind made up to have dinner on the ship, and nothing I say will change that, but we certainly didn't even think of that when we visited for the first time last year on an overnight port visit. Venice is one of the gems of any Med cruise. I have a difficult time understanding why someone would feel dining on the ship would be better than spending the time in Venice, especially when they will have no such choice for the remaining evenings on the cruise.

But, to each his own, I guess.

The Tuscan grill will cost $90 for both of you, plus any wine. I certainly would agree with those that would sit at a cafe and enjoy pizza or pasta and a nice table wine in Venice. You certainly can eat for $90....no, not in a hotel or fancy restaurant....but there are so many choices...and so many guidebooks and sites with recommendations on the internet.

If you're on a budget...then enjoy the real flavor of Venice and don't hide on the ship thinking that you're having an authentic/good italian meal sitting in Tuscan Grill. Your view will also not be of the Venice you want to view.....

Take a risk....check out the guidebooks, trip advisor and other web sites...and enjoy Venice....don't sit on the ship.

If you do plan on going to Venice after dinner then be sure you have your transportation options figured out before your trip while you have easy internet access to do a little research. When we were there a couple years ago the last Celebrity sponsored shuttle back to the ship was at 11:30PM. There are other options, including walking, but I don't know how late those run nor what is involved.

I would book for 6:30 pm. Figure on spending about 1 1/2 hours or so in Tuscan Grill. Walk off ship before 8:30 pm and you'll be in Venice to enjoy a sunset, which happens just before 9 pm, and you'll still have a good two hours or so to wander around Venice before heading back on board. (I don't know about you but we like to be tucked in for the night by midnight if not sooner. ).

All of our dinners in Tuscan have taken more than 1 1/2 hours. I'm sure you can get in and out that fast if you tell them you're on a schedule but it would be a shame to be rushed through dinner there rather than spreading it out and enjoying the evening. While I don't have a lot of experience with Venice (only been there 2 times, both on cruises which overnighted there) I think expecting to get from the ship to St. Marks square within 1/2 hour is a bit chancy unless the timing works perfectly. If you're taking the ship's shuttle then there are potential waiting times for the next shuttle to arrive, time to load and wait for other passengers, and then make the trip there. If you're taking alternate transportation it would involve a bit of a walk from the ship depending on what you have in mind.

If you do plan on going to Venice after dinner then be sure you have your transportation options figured out before your trip while you have easy internet access to do a little research. When we were there a couple years ago the last Celebrity sponsored shuttle back to the ship was at 11:30PM. There are other options, including walking, but I don't know how late those run nor what is involved.

That is is good thing to take into consideration. We've been lucky enough to overnight in Venice on two different cruises, and each time we've simply walked into the city from the ship. It takes about 25 minutes or so and the path is marked by a yellow line so it's pretty obvious and you can't get lost. You end up pretty close to the main train station and from there you can hop a vaporetto anywhere you want to go. Each time we stayed in Venice just wandering around and joy riding on the vaporettos until about 11 pm, at which point we headed back to the ship. We felt safe and found a surprising number of people doing exactly what we were doing. It's a well-marked and well-used path going to the port if you're a walker!

first time we had an overnight stay in Venice, we ate on the ship and regretted it. So next time, we ate at a wonderful (but small and somewhat hard to find) restaurant called Osteria alla Botte. We went with another couple from CC and had a wonderful meal with great service at a very reasonable cost. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly how much it was but I know for the 4 of us, it was not even 100 euro.

Obviously, as with anything folks do while on a cruise - whether it's dining, going on excursions, or spa treatments, everyone has to do what suits their budget. Cruises are all about having a great time and experiencing the world - so get out there and do it "your way".

Marianne

Thanks for your replies, what I forgot to say, which is the reason for an earlier dinner, is we want to go into Venice after dinner too.

Does that make more sense as to why I'm wondering what time to eat? :)

PLEASE!! Dine in Venice that evening. You will have an amazing al fresco dinner with time afterword to stroll and savor Venice at night. I highly recommend a little place called A Beccafico, just off the Accademia bridge past Zatere. We had a fantastic meal there last August with time to go to St. Mark's to listen to the music. Transport is easy with the allelaguna water bus system. Check out Trip Advisor for other recommends. You will be on the ship for days with plenty of time to enjoy Tuscan Grill, Murano, etc. But, you have this night in Venice!!

Keep in mind that if you are at the main cruise terminal near the train station, it's a 40 minute vaporetto ride from San Marco (roughly half that from Rialto). If dinner is 2 hours in Tuscan Grille, you're at 3+ hours being away from the magic that is Venice at night.

From an economical standpoint, your Tuscan Grille is about equivalent to €25 each, and I think you should have no problems finding a meal for that. It might not be fancy, but even if you had to spend €30 each, the amount of time you save staying in the heart of the city instead of getting back to the ship, having a 2 hour dinner, and going back out, is worth it.

I hope we can convince you! :D

Keep in mind that if you are at the main cruise terminal near the train station, it's a 40 minute vaporetto ride from San Marco (roughly half that from Rialto). If dinner is 2 hours in Tuscan Grille, you're at 3+ hours being away from the magic that is Venice at night.

From an economical standpoint, your Tuscan Grille is about equivalent to €25 each, and I think you should have no problems finding a meal for that. It might not be fancy, but even if you had to spend €30 each, the amount of time you save staying in the heart of the city instead of getting back to the ship, having a 2 hour dinner, and going back out, is worth it.

I hope we can convince you! :D

Plus the possible additional cost of transportation to and from the ship would make that Tuscan Grille dinner even more expensive. But, it's their money and time!

We are in a similar situation - but have also 2 very hungry teenagers - so have decided not to eat out in Venice. So, as the OP, planning to go into Venice for the afternoon return to the ship then go back in the evening. My question - on our previous Celebrity cruise on an overnight port stay dining in the main dining room was open - didn't have to go at the set times. This was before select dining but just wondering if the still do this?

Thank you

Ok!!

You have all nagged enough :D

I have managed to persuade the DH and we will be eating in Venice that night.

Now you just have to recommend us somewhere reasonable to eat.

Thanks for all your input.

Adele :)

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/list.asp?r=Venice

Work your way through this list!! We have used it in the past along with Chow Venice and had some lovely meals.

We have eaten at a restaurant on the GC right by the hotel called the Abbazia De Luxe. The entrance is on the Lista De Spagna, but it has a wonderful terrace on the GC. I cannot remember the name though!!

This PDF shows the location of the hotel and the restaurant is the first building on the GC it has a big tank of seafood in the lobby and you pass through the air con interior to the outside terrace. We have had a couple of really good meals there at a reasonable price and it is close to the port.

http://www.abbaziadeluxe.com/pdf/abbaziadeluxe_map.pdf

Hope this helps.

We had a weekend in Venice and one of the highlights was a lovely meal at one of the restaurants by grand canal at the Rialto. Not expensive if you choose carefully and perhaps miss desert. We then took a steady walk to St Marks square, well signposted. The atmosphere there in the evening is amazing, and it's free, bands at the various restaurants are playing, people are dancing in the square and the buildings are beautiful in the lights. Really an opportunity not to be missed. We then caught a vaporteto back along the grand canal, p magical. It you took one back to the piazza Roma you could the catch then people mover back to the ship. Wonderful...

By no way did I mean to offend anyone. We too have to pay a mortgage and have financial responsibilities. I do not want to travel all this way and not experience the local cuisine. What I meant by being able to eat in the specialty restraurants anytime, I meant of course when you are sailing on the ship. Again, did not mean to offend. Just my thoughts.

Sorry, didn't want to be so miserable :) I can see your point of view, and understand where you are coming from. I suppose I read so many reviews where I wonder how much some people earn and wonder if they know what life is like in the real world ...

I'm sorry to be so quick to take offense -------------- :(

Have a great a cruise all - whatever the budget :) Perhaps we should all realise (self included) just how blessed we are just to be on a cruise visiting such amazing places.

Once upon a time a mini cruise on a Louis Cruise ship for 2 days was our dream come true ---

Then just have dinner in Venice. Doesn't make sense to spend the time and trouble to go back to the ship just for dinner. Spend that time in Venice. You will have plenty of time to spend on the ship later. A question - have you ever been to Venice before?

Agree with the above comment. Why waste all of that time, logistical efforts and energy getting back to the ship and then returning to main Venice later that same evening. Glad you've revised your plans. As detailed below, Venice is super wonderful. You want to maximize your time there. That's why Celebrity is doing the overnight stop there as we enjoyed so much in June 2011.

Below is a picture on a place we have dined at twice with in Venice. Great location, so charming and interesting. Plus good food!!

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 20,634 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 129,497 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a wider shot of the canal and the Da Raffaelle dining location. Their website is: http://www.ristorantedaraffaele.com/index-eng.htm We dined here last June 2011 and May 1999. It is right on the path you follow between St. Mark's and the Accademia. In the evenings, this is a wonderful, charming location to experience the canal and many people crossing the bridge, etc.:

VeniceRestoraniWideCanal2011.jpg

With our ship’s overnight schedule, having an overnight there allows time to sample the evening orchestras on San Marco Square playing to the crowds. Great fun at night in a wonderful setting.:

VeniceSanMarcoNightBand.jpg

It was a full moon for our evening in Venice. Here is that view of the moon as we walked at night past the Doge’s Palace to board our shuttle back to the ship. It was shot hand-held with a manual setting for a third of a second at f/3.5 with ISO 400 with an 18mm opening on my 18-55mm Nikon zoom. :

VeniceNightMoonDogePalace.jpg

In front of the Accademia Art Museum in Venice, here is an artist on that wooden bridge over the Grand Canal making a painting. Lots of such great views can be experienced all over this historic city.:

VenicePainterOnGrandCanal.jpg

At water level, this shows a typical smaller canal area with a gondola and various building styles in the heart of Venice.:

VeniceGandolaWaterLevelView.jpg

From near the Doge’s Palace, here is the view across the main waterway to San Giorgio Maggiore, a 16th century Benedictine church built between 1566 and 1610. Also shown is a gondola and passengers in the foreground. There were eight to ten thousand gondolas during the 17th and 18th century with only about four hundred in active service today in Venice:

VeniceGondolaStMarkAcrossH2O.jpg

Ok!!

You have all nagged enough :D

I have managed to persuade the DH and we will be eating in Venice that night.

Now you just have to recommend us somewhere reasonable to eat.

Thanks for all your input.

Adele :)

I wasn't going to add to the drama, because I believe that to each his/her own. With that said, you will not regret your decision to stay on Venice and delight in her offerings without heading back to the ship. We are returning to Venice for the 4th time in 5 years this autumn (our first time that we will only spend an overnight there). She is too magical to leave and if you do nothing but stop in the little baccaros and sip wine and small bites, you will be nourished - both body and soul. ENJOY.

Dawn

Archived