Next NCL Ship to be "the one" for charters?

ferfoodle

A couple of months ago I booked an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Pearl to take place in January 2015. I am so excited to not only go on this wonderful itinerary but to also be going on the Pearl.

Since then, I have been reading a lot on the NCL boards. I see through multiple postings that the Pearl is the "designated" ship for the Sixthman and other charters. Pearl cruises are often canceled because of these charters.

I also see that the Sun is the current ship that runs the 10/11 day Southern Route. However, beginning October 2014, the Pearl replaces the Sun on these itineraries and the Sun moves to Tampa to run a 7 day Western Caribbean.

So now I am left wondering if my cruise slot has a chance of being canceled. On one hand, I think since the Pearl will be the only NCL ship doing the longer Southern route, that a different NCL ship will be substituted beginning in the Fall of 2014 for such charters. But on the other hand, I am thinking that most of the Music charters are only 4-7 days long and that they could charter out the Pearl on these 10 and 11 day cruises easily for 2 charter groups (5 and 5 days or 4 and 7 days, etc.) and wind up canceling several of these.

I know there is no way to know for certain at this time, but has anyone heard of any "rumors" if there a plans to keep the Pearl as the "designated" charter ship or if NCL is going to use a different ship?

We have booked the Pearl out of Miami for next April and I have been leary of the same thing. We booked a PH suite and will have spent more money than usual for this cruise. It really makes me wonder about how soon I should book my air and hotels too. Ours will be the last W. Caribbean before she heads to Alaska for the summer.

A couple of months ago I booked an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Pearl to take place in January 2015. I am so excited to not only go on this wonderful itinerary but to also be going on the Pearl.

Since then, I have been reading a lot on the NCL boards. I see through multiple postings that the Pearl is the "designated" ship for the Sixthman and other charters. Pearl cruises are often canceled because of these charters.

I also see that the Sun is the current ship that runs the 10/11 day Southern Route. However, beginning October 2014, the Pearl replaces the Sun on these itineraries and the Sun moves to Tampa to run a 7 day Western Caribbean.

So now I am left wondering if my cruise slot has a chance of being canceled. On one hand, I think since the Pearl will be the only NCL ship doing the longer Southern route, that a different NCL ship will be substituted beginning in the Fall of 2014 for such charters. But on the other hand, I am thinking that most of the Music charters are only 4-7 days long and that they could charter out the Pearl on these 10 and 11 day cruises easily for 2 charter groups (5 and 5 days or 4 and 7 days, etc.) and wind up canceling several of these.

I know there is no way to know for certain at this time, but has anyone heard of any "rumors" if there a plans to keep the Pearl as the "designated" charter ship or if NCL is going to use a different ship?

I think you are definitely safer with the 10 and 11 day cruises, but with the Pearl, I would wait until the six month out mark has passed before buying airfare. Historically, the charters have been announced with more than six months notice.

I think you are definitely safer with the 10 and 11 day cruises, but with the Pearl, I would wait until the six month out mark has passed before buying airfare. Historically, the charters have been announced with more than six months notice.

We've got the 11-night Southern Caribbean booked for thanksgiving 2014 and I've had the concern about being switched around but I agree with this response and will do lots of talking with my TA before booking air fare etc and will also try to wait until a few months out to book anything. Also, I spoke of my concern to the TA and feel that she'll help us get rebooked and the worst that will happen is that I'll still be cruising but on a different itinerary! ;)

Definitely wait to buy your airfare.

The music cruises will definitely be locked down at least 6 months in advance, as they take longer to fill, with the much higher prices the promoter charges.

As for the logic about them snatching a 10-11 day and run two music cruise back to back.

I have yet to see any promoter, sixthman or otherwise book back to backs. (one of the guys I work with, works security for sixthman on about half of their yearly cruises. )

Usually when a promoter books an entire cruise, whatever days are left over, the cruiseline usually just runs a quick 3-4 day, whatever, to burn off the extra, unused days.

(for example, RCCL's Oasis usually runs 7 day cruises. Chick-Fil-A chartered the entire ship for only 4 days.

RCCL cancelled that scheduled 7 day, gave CFA their 4 days and booked a quickee 3 day cruise to use up the left over 3 days.)

There is a website that lists ALL upcoming music cruises. (which sadly I cannot link to in here without getting a cease and desist e-mail from CC)

Just google it and bookmark and check periodically as your cruise approaches.)

Good luck.

Bill

Thanks for the replies everyone. I usually like to book airfare prior to six months (as the past 4 times I have flown, the best price was soon after the flights opened for booking) but won't get air that early this time.

Think I will search for that upcoming music cruise site and keep an eye out on it.

They now have on the NCL site under the drop down of "learn about our cruises" a link to music themed cruises. Not sure this will help you as it doesn't go out to 2015 yet. It is a good start and if you continue to watch it you may find way ahead of time your answers. Also, we book our air usually the day it is released. If you are on SWA no problem as you can always change your days with no charge just a charge if the flight costs more.

Another thing to consider is you are booking a 10 or 11 day itinerary. Usually the chartered ship is from a 7 day that has duplicate itinerary with another ship. I would't think they would cancel out this cruise although I could be wrong as it is JMHO.

I too usually book airfare early and watch the prices go up but looking at Miami for next April it is nearly double what I paid for my last Miami flight. I will put off airfare for a few reasons now.

I got an email about the 6th man whatever, and it was in Oct of this year. Don't know how often they offer these, but I would venture to say you will be fine, because of the length of the cruise. You will have a blast by the way!:D

Google "Theme Cruise Finder" that will give you a site that covers EVERY single kind of theme cruise, with every musical taste broken down by genre in a dropdown menu.

Just under rock in the next year, there is 3 on RCCL, 3 on NCL, 1 on HAL and 1 on Carnival. (and none of the annual ones that just happened are in there yet. Kid Rock, KISS, Rick Springfield, etc. etc..)

And that is just rock cruises. Not counting oldies and Gospel, which have alot every year.

All 3 NCL rock were on the Pearl...

2 of the 3 country are on the Pearl and one on the Jewel.

Delbert McClinton's is on the Pearl also....

So with a quick check, the Pearl has 6 music cruises in the next 12 months. (announced, with more to be added)

Just checked sixthman's website and they have 4 back to back to back to back cruises on the Pearl in October, 1 cruise in January, and 3 in February, including one back to back. (so they seem to have changed to running their cruises in clumps now.)

That makes 8 music cruises, just for one promoter.

Bill

The NCL/SixthMan arrangement is really a smart business move. I think you will be fine with your 11 day cruise but don't become "locked into" any particular vessel since you are talking about Jan 2015 sailing. From a logistical angle, keeping the Pearl as the designated ship for their music theme sailings make sense, but NCL must keep it's options open to meet the demand.

I think you will see even more charter music theme cruises on the Pearl in the 2014-2015 sailing season . NCL knows these types of cruises are "recession proof". Kid Rock's cruise sold out in just a few days, so NCL could probably charter the Breakaway for him and fill it

NCL knows that by designed these SixthMan cruises will stay within the 4-5 day range, overnight at their private island and not worry about ports because the target demographics that pay premium prices are there for the music and could care less about island tours and shopping.

Have fun on your cruise and enjoy the Pearl

...must admit that I have a 2015 cruise booked on the Pearl and this is a concern for me. I will not be purchasing air to MIA until the very last minute for sure.

Historically, the charters have been announced with more than six months notice.

OK...that's more than fair (and very comforting :))

I'll be watching closely too... Looks like the cayamo cruise goes out mid February or usually does... And our cruise starts February 12, 2015... They've got their February 2014 cruise mostly booked already... So we'll see if we get bumped the following year.

I noticed SixthMan has chartered the Pearl for B2B2B music theme cruises from Oct 20th thru Nov 1st, 2013. The crew will probably be happy (but very, very tired) at the end of that stretch...lol....however, it must be a nice break from the normal cruise routine

• 2 months later...

I am looking at the Pear for March 11/14, I swear the last few times I looked this cruise was not listed, does anyone know if this was a Charter cruise that has been returned to NCL?

It seems so reasonable for Spring Break and I can't figure out why.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the call today from our TA that the October 2014 cruise on the Sun departing Tampa, Fl is CANCELLED due to a charter. Hope that helps :D

Just got the call today from our TA that the October 2014 cruise on the Sun departing Tampa, Fl is CANCELLED due to a charter. Hope that helps :D

Yes, the Sun has been chartered for a blues music cruise in October 2014. Our Panama Canal cruise for October 4th has been pushed to October 11th. We were recently notified that if we didn't let them know by the 16th of August whether or not we wanted to do the October 11 Panama cruise, we would be cancelled.

Although it would stink to have a ship chartered from under you, IF I COULD charter a ship with all my friends and family, I'd charter You all out in a NY minute :p

(LOL..great advice above SuiteCruiser) :)

we are quite disappointed that we got cancelled, really trying to deal with it, but feeling selfish & petty right now

Were you compensated in any way??

I recently booked a Royal cruise (only my second one, as NCL is my preferred line at the moment). Very soon after booking, we found out our sailing had been cancelled (changed actually) and they compensated us very well, so we were actually THRILLED to death.

Were you compensated in any way??

I recently booked a Royal cruise (only my second one, as NCL is my preferred line at the moment). Very soon after booking, we found out our sailing had been cancelled (changed actually) and they compensated us very well, so we were actually THRILLED to death.

Well if $100 OBC is well compensated then yes :D. That what we got for the change of date for the Sun Canal cruise in Oct 2014. Some only got $50. The cruise was not cancel just the date slipped a week with 15 months to plan for the change.

The real loss with the charter was the ability to do 22 days from Vancouver since the charter separates the Pacific Coastal from the Canal cruise.

I think giving passengers well over a years notice of a charter is not as big a deal as canceling a cruise less then a year out when people have staring getting air reservations and putting in for vacation time.

Well if $100 OBC is well compensated then yes :D. That what we got for the change of date for the Sun Canal cruise in Oct 2014. Some only got $50. The cruise was not cancel just the date slipped a week with 15 months to plan for the change.

The real loss with the charter was the ability to do 22 days from Vancouver since the charter separates the Pacific Coastal from the Canal cruise.

I think giving passengers well over a years notice of a charter is not as big a deal as canceling a cruise less then a year out when people have staring getting air reservations and putting in for vacation time.

They offered us $100 onboard credit and the same fare for a different date. We chose to just cancel and take the deposit back. Our friends rescheduled and ended up having to pay more and did not even get a credit. Not happy with Norwegian right now

Noticing that several people have just gotten the rugs pulled out from under them for Jade's stint as an Olympic hotel, less than 8 months away. For a European cruise, that would meet my criteria of a "Big Deal", and I'd be pretty danged p-$$-d about it.

Archived