2 questions? passport and age

pj woods

Even though San Juan is technically a part of the US, the customs and such is very different (you can buy from the duty free shops, you have to go through a USDA scan to travel back to the US etc.). You don't need one but it is good to have one. Especially if you are cruising.

Here is the Carnival language on age:

How old do you have to be to travel alone? (Traveling with minors) Carnival's policy regarding guests traveling alone or traveling with minors:

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Guests Under the Age of 21 Traveling with Parents / Grandparents

Guests under the age of 13

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, only if booked next door or directly across the hall from the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors 13 and under may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents"; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, by up to 3 staterooms in between the minor stateroom and the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors age 13 may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 18 years of age and older

• Minors are 18 and older not required to be booked within close proximity nor on the same deck as the Parents/Grandparents. However, we will place you as close together as possible.

Guests Under the Age of 21 NOT Traveling with Parents / Grandparents

The minor must travel with a guardian 25 years of age or older in the same stateroom. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

• Legally married couples and same gender union couples less than 21 years of age must provide Carnival with legal proof of marriage/civil union at least two weeks prior to sailing.

• Documentation can be e-mailed to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com or faxed to 305-406-6479.

• For those guests whose marriage/civil union will not take place until closer to the sailing date, they must bring proof of their marriage/civil union to embarkation. Failure to do so will result in denied boarding and no refund.

• Documentation: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Infants must be at least six months old (twelve months for Transatlantic, Hawaii and South America cruises) to be eligible to travel.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

Please note that adult guests are responsible for the safety and behavior of their minor guests. Our Camp Carnival®, Circle "C" and Club O2 programs features supervised activities for children 2-17.

Spa Carnival and fitness center: Guests under 12 years of age are not permitted in these facilities. Guests between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Air Travel / Hotel Stay - Guests under the age of 21, staying at any hotel in conjunction with Carnival’s Fly Aweigh® program, may be required to be accompanied by a guest 21 years or older in the same room as per each hotel’s policy. Permission for minor guests to fly unaccompanied is determined by the airlines as per each airline’s policy. We suggest you check with your scheduled airline for their requirements. Carnival assumes no responsibility for guests under the age of 21 traveling unaccompanied by air.

You can book at 21 but someone in the cabin must be at least

25 unless you are a married couple or active duty military.

That is the way I understood it when I traveled with my daughter

and her fiancée. They were both under 25 and not married yet

so we had to do the book one in each cabin with me and DH thing

and then we just traded keys. ;)

and her fiancée.

According to the policy as quoted in post #5, Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older.

So a 25 year old is only required for guests under 21 not traveling with parents or grandparents.

Since PR is a US territory you don't need a passport if you are a US citizen traveling from mainland US to PR or the US Virgin Islands (but one is nice to have just in case :)

From the Passport website:

Contrary to a number of inaccurate press reports stemming from a July 16, 2012 article that misquoted a State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs official, there is no passport requirement for U.S. citizens for direct travel between the mainland United States and U.S. territories, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

1) Not if you are a U.S. citizen

2) I believe it is 21 (unless you are traveling with older family members).

Didn't it use to be 21 but you had to have a marriage certificate or something if you were under 25?

I thought I remembered hearing or reading that someplace.

If you arrive at the San Juan Airport from an international destination, the first thing you see as you are going down the escalator to customs is a huge sign that says: "Welcome to the United States".

• 3 months later...
1) Not if you are a U.S. citizen

2) I believe it is 21 (unless you are traveling with older family members).

I have been looking all over for this answer. Thanks.

We are planning to give as a college graduation present to our daughter, a cruise for her and a friend. Both of them will be 21 at the time, so it looks like we can put them in a cabin by themselves. Someone told us, OH NO, since they are under 25, they have to have an adult (over 25) booked in the cabin with them. Looks like that comment was made from opinion and not complete fact.

No passport is required for US citizens on closed loop cruises that both leave from and return to San Juan.

However the same rules applies for open loop (one way) cruises as from any other U.S. port..... if the ship doesn't return to the same port it left from, a passport is required. San Juan does tend to have more open loop cruises leaving there for a mainland US port (or vice versa) because it's currently exempted from the PVSA requirements that one-way cruises leaving from and returning to different US ports call at a distant foreign port.

No passport is required for US citizens on closed loop cruises that both leave from and return to San Juan.

However the same rules applies for open loop (one way) cruises as from any other U.S. port..... if the ship doesn't return to the same port it left from, a passport is required. San Juan does tend to have more open loop cruises leaving there for a mainland US port (or vice versa) because it's currently exempted from the PVSA requirements that one-way cruises leaving from and returning to different US ports call at a distant foreign port.

so when Carnival starts these 8 day cruises on the Splendor that start in NY and end in San Juan and vice versa, everybody on the ship is going to be required to have a passport?

Bill

so when Carnival starts these 8 day cruises on the Splendor that start in NY and end in San Juan and vice versa, everybody on the ship is going to be required to have a passport?

Bill

Yes. I would expect that some folks on these sailings who are used to cruising with just birth certificates will get left at the departure port when they show up without passports.

Yes. I would expect that some folks on these sailings who are used to cruising with just birth certificates will get left at the departure port when they show up without passports.

That itinerary throws me for a loop as far as passports go. thanks for the reply.

Bill

and her fiancée. They were both under 25 and not married yet

so we had to do the book one in each cabin with me and DH thing

and then we just traded keys. ;)

Incorrect. If someone is under 21, they need a person 25+ in the cabin. If both are 21, you can book.

Bill

Or a passport card or Enhanced Drivers License. (But the 8 day itinerary we are considering on the Splendor in 4/15 is round trip from NY with a port stop in San Juan.)

Archived