Cabin Security

Oldnslow1

Are personal items generally safe in your cabin? I am concerned about leaving electronics and similar items behind while in port. Of course I will not be leaving cash or jewelry but I want to know about other things?

Oldnslow1

Not sure what cruise line you are sailing on and I would have posted this on the cruise line board for the cruise line you are sailing.

We've never had a problem. Some items I leave out and others in a draw.

Keith

I've been cruising for many years and have never had a problem with a cabin safe.

I never leave anything of value out when I leave the cabin -- everything goes in the safe if it's not on/with me. Before I leave the cabin I also double check the safe to ensure it's locked.

We always leave binoculars, cameras, laptop, tablets and even loose change on our desk or night tables without anything having ever gone missing. Money, jewelery and passports (if any) should go in your safe of course. If you have a concern place your electronics and alike in a drawer out of site.

I am confident using the in room safe on the major cruise lines but with the warning to all that I've found other people's stuff left in a safe when I started to use it for myself.

The safes are often in a location where it is difficult to see the interior. Check completely for your items when you ultimatly depart your room at the end of your cruise.

I turned in the left-behind items but would never ever leave loose jewelry in the safe. Put your items in a container so that you know what is what.

Money, jewelry and the passports go into the safe. Everything else and I travel with many thousands of dollars worth of electronics and photo equipment gets left wherever it is convenient.

Knock wood - no problems so far.

DON

I am confident using the in room safe on the major cruise lines but with the warning to all that I've found other people's stuff left in a safe when I started to use it for myself.

The safes are often in a location where it is difficult to see the interior. Check completely for your items when you ultimatly depart your room at the end of your cruise.

I turned in the left-behind items but would never ever leave loose jewelry in the safe. Put your items in a container so that you know what is what.

I agree and what I have taken to doing before we leave the cabin for the last time is to run my fingers around the perimeter of the safe and under the lip that often exists under the door opening of the safe.

You might want to put things out of sight, since the cabin stewards do leave the door open and the room unattended for short intervals.

Putting things in drawers is the best idea, but only those drawers well away from the door. In the cabins we have that means the night tables which lock. Friends of ours always put their laptop in their suitcase zipped up under the bed.

The idea is to discourage someone who might be thinking of a very quick trip into a cabin to grab what is close and in sight.

Archived