Luggage

jskinsd

That is always confusing. In reality, there is no limit on pieces of luggage imposed by NCL. Give all you wish to the porters or carry on what you wish (it has to fit through a scanner if you carry on though). Do try to adhere to the 50 lb limit though. The ship crew has to carry all of this and you don't wish to over load them.

Agree with above posts. Nobody weighs them at the pier. Carry over from airline rules.

As to carryon- the scanners pierside accept way larger bags than the airport does. I have seen fullsize bags rolled aboard. Not suggesting it, but it can be done.

My e-docs says two bags per person and no more than 50lbs. What happens if you are over weight or to many bags?

It means you're bringing at least twice as much as you need to :)

Thank you for all your responses. Athough I may be packing to much, I am willing to take it to the porter and then again take it back to my car. Mostly beverages on the way in.

It means you're bringing at least twice as much as you need to :)

Depends on what you're bringing and why. We've had this discussion before, where some people believe carrying anything more than a single 24" bag is overkill, but some of us carry a formal dress aboard...or sodas (not everyone likes Pepsi products) or wine. A lot of times, when I travel, I am bringing work aboard with me or presenting a class at a conference. Or I'm packing costuming for a conference. This time, in particular, I have my 25th Anniversary aboard, so I'm packing extra items for that event.

All told, my husband and I could go aboard with just a suitcase each for clothing, shoes, etc. and a carry-on for meds and such that you don't want to check. But this time, we're going heavier on bags than we ever have before or likely ever will again. Shrug. Since NCL said there was no way to do a package catch aboard, as I often do when traveling heavy (at hotels), there's no option but to take it to the pier with us.

DML

And...ironically, since the site says this... We got our baggage tags from NCL the other day. There are two tags MARKED with my name, two marked with my husband's, and two more that have our room information on them but are not marked with a name. By that, it's almost as if they are encouraging people who need to travel heavy to feel free to do so.

DML

We got our luggage tags for our cruise this weekend a while back and received 8 of the priority ones. As tempting as that is I'd have to take out a mortgage to fly the rest of my bags with me from North America to Europe. I am a heavy packer so could easily do it but have never been limited by a cruise line as to how much you can bring with you. The cruise lines don't really care within reason just don't forget about how much room you have to store your stuff once you get on board.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

We got our luggage tags for our cruise this weekend a while back and received 8 of the priority ones.

Maybe it WAS 8 and not 6. I just remember looking at it and saying there was no way I would need that many. :D

DML

Maybe it WAS 8 and not 6. I just remember looking at it and saying there was no way I would need that many. :D

DML

Besides our two suitcases (one for each of us) we also put tags on our carry on's, my purse, and hubby's CPAP in case those get separated from us. So we use 6 of the tags.

Besides our two suitcases (one for each of us) we also put tags on our carry on's, my purse, and hubby's CPAP in case those get separated from us. So we use 6 of the tags.

Hmmm... Hadn't thought of using their tags on the carry-ons. I usually just use one of my own luggage tags on those, but having the cruise line one on there saves them searching for my room #. Interesting idea!

DML

Me too ! Better safe than sorry...;)

There are plenty of luggage tags to grab, fill out, and attach to your bags while dropping off bags with the porters or checking-in. I'm not aware of anyone ever commenting, much less noticing excessive luggage.

Best advise I heard was to lay out all of the items you want to take on your trip, then eliminate half of them, pack the rest up to take with you! You almost ALWAYS use less than you take, and you almost always pick up more stuff along the way.

Thanks again everyone. I am always overpacking. I hate having to buy something because I forgot. And I forget a lot less now. The hardest part is fitting everything in the car. Sailing on the Sun on monday and I already have to much.

My 16 year old daughter is bringing her prom drew for drew up night. Do we have to lug it arou d with us when we board (we plan on arriving pretty early at the pier) or is there someplace we can store it or can we put it In the closet or Our room even if it isn't quite ready?

My 16 year old daughter is bringing her prom drew for drew up night. Do we have to lug it arou d with us when we board (we plan on arriving pretty early at the pier) or is there someplace we can store it or can we put it In the closet or Our room even if it isn't quite ready?

Are you in a suite or standard cabin? I know suite guests have the ability to drop carry-on luggage before lunch. Spinnakers on Dawn, I think? I don't know about other guests, but there is probably somewhere you can drop it off. If the room isn't clean yet, I'm not sure they'll let you drop it there, but someone who has tried it probably has a definitive answer to that question.

DML

Thanks again everyone. I am always overpacking. I hate having to buy something because I forgot. And I forget a lot less now. The hardest part is fitting everything in the car. Sailing on the Sun on monday and I already have to much.

LOL! I jokingly told my husband we might have to take my van to the pier instead of his car. I AM joking, though, since I know for a fact all the luggage will fit in his car.

DML

Our last two recent cruises, rather than having to wait until the "rooms are ready" announcement, we were told that we could go to the rooms after boarding and put things in them if we wish, being aware the room stewards were still very busy cleaning and preparing. I don't know if that was just for the Pearl or all NCL ships now. In any case, there will be a place to store carry on items if you wish. As you board just ask one of the smiling faces that will be greeting you.

Our last two or three cruises the hallways have been closed and entry blocked until cabins were ready. There is a storage place when you board to leave your carry on baggage. You will get a claim check and retrieve you stuff when the rooms are cleared.

Archived