LIVE BLOG Explorer May 16-28 Bermuda and Caribbean

My husband and I have booked this cruise for August again this year. We always booked a jr suite on Explorer but this time we thought we would book a GS so please let me know everything you think about your GS.

Well Rested at last!

Had a great night's sleep and am enjoying the Solarium. Lovely weather, although apparently it's a bit windy on the other side. However, I just overheard someone say that - to find out for sure I'd have to get up... and walk over there... maybe later.

We had coffee (tea for me) juice, some fruit, toast and cream cheese and lox for DH in the concierge lounge this am. I've mentioned I'm not allowed at a buffet because I will want it ALL. But the small spread in the CL was just right for me.

to XmasLady - I'll keep you in mind and let you know as we get more acclimated. I realize yesterday's report was a bit of a downer - but it was new and a little overwhelming which I didn't expect because we're not total cruising virgins. today feels much calmer.

It’s good to be me. Life is good, DH is good, cruise is good. It’s good to be me.

Today was a sea day. It was pretty breezy up on the Solarium. Some people were sun bathing – but some people were under their towels. We found a table out of the wind and read for a while, then sat in the hot tub – which was segregated… no not that way – the jets were only working on one side so we had the bubbly champagne side of the tub and the “plain old hot water” side. I think we had more fun with the whole concept than we would have had with the bubbles.

IMG_20130517_103441_147.jpg

Lunch in the MDR – on advice of many CCers, had the tutti salad. Very very good.

An about two hours all together was spent by yours truly dealing with Internet issues. Not common ones, but bizarre ones - to the point the phone operators and several people at the front desk knew who I was. WARNING TO ALL – RCCL Wifi does not work with Chrome. After two hours we figured that out. I have to log in on Internet Explorer and then I can use Chrome as my browser. DH had no problem with Firefox, but the IT guy said “if you have IE, use it to log it, it’s most likely to work.”

We went to the gym, did about ½ our normal work out… sat in THAT hottub (can you tell we like hot tubs) and while DH used the sauna, steam room and shower there, I came up to the cabin for my shower.

Shower report for those to whom these things are important. A+ for the shower. The GS has a standard size tub with a shower at one and a bench at the other – which I adore so you don’t have to balance your shampoo and wash cloth and stuff on narrow railings. Not to mention it’s great for shaving your legs. AND there’s a towel rack high up at the end so the towels stay dry but you can dry off without climbing out of the tub.

The down side is you have to climb INTO the shower - not a good choice for those who can’t do so.

Water?? Yes it’s hot as can be and the water pressure was fantastic. Sorry to spend so much time on this but it’s important to me.

I’ll be uploading more bathroom and suite pictures either when I get home or when we get to Puerto Rico where I hope my wifi hotspot will give me a good cheap connection.

So far we’ve had smooth sailing. The sea looks a bit choppy but up here on deck 10 there’s just the slightest rocking to let you know you’re not docked. As sunny as it was this morning – it’s now grey out. But Captain Loy said tomorrow in Bermuda is due to be mostly sunny but with a chance of intermittent showers.

Oh, and I forgot – we missed the M&M. I didn’t realize it would be such a quick event. We were a few minutes late and apparently the festivities were over, and although there were some people sitting around chatting, I was on the hunt for getting my internet access fixed so we left.

Also I will scan and upload the whole cruise's menus when I get home

Nice to see you are having much better weather than we did. Gale force winds and closing of outside decks. Many people sick. Even though it was much nicer on the way back to nj, nott so sure i would rush to book this one again. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your cruise via live post. Thanks!

An about two hours all together was spent by yours truly dealing with Internet issues. Not common ones, but bizarre ones - to the point the phone operators and several people at the front desk knew who I was. WARNING TO ALL – RCCL Wifi does not work with Chrome. After two hours we figured that out. I have to log in on Internet Explorer and then I can use Chrome as my browser. DH had no problem with Firefox, but the IT guy said “if you have IE, use it to log it, it’s most likely to work.”

Thanks for that tidbit, very helpful info. :)

Sorry for the spontaneous cessation of blogging. Not only did we have internet issues - but my husband fell ill, spent 30 hours in the medical facility and is now i in the hospital in st. Maarten. And while I'll have much to report eventually - not much more about the cruise, and nothing now. I haven't slept in 2 days and if I weren't so overtired, I'd be asleep right now.

HOpe to get home in the next day or two,

Guest maddycat
Sorry for the spontaneous cessation of blogging. Not only did we have internet issues - but my husband fell ill, spent 30 hours in the medical facility and is now i in the hospital in st. Maarten. And while I'll have much to report eventually - not much more about the cruise, and nothing now. I haven't slept in 2 days and if I weren't so overtired, I'd be asleep right now.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's illness. I hope that he is improving. I also hope you have travel insurance.

I was really enjoying your cruise blog. I love your sense of humor. Please let us know how everything turns out. Good luck.

Also I will scan and upload the whole cruise's menus when I get home

THANKS!!! If you were feeling a bit extra generous, perhaps fresh cruise compasses??? Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: I just now saw your posting about your husband! I'm so sorry I hope everything works out. We once had to end a cruise short for a medical emergency in Puerto Rico. Hope he is feeling better :(

Gosh! That's terrible. I hope your husband is better soon and you have a safe and uneventful flight home.

Sorry to hear about your husbands illness. I know exactly what you are feeling as we were on this ship in November and my husband became ill in Haiti and was airlifted to Dominican Republic to the hospital. It is a scary time for everyone. Try and get some sleep. Hope you husband has a sppedy recovery and you have a save trip home.

Thanks for all your good wishes. It brings tears to my eyes to see "words from home" My poor husband is in such pain and we dont know what's up yet other generally. Hopefully this afternoon when the doctor reviews new xrays and tests.

The only good news is the hospital has free, but very slow wifi and I got the international data package on my jetpack which is slightly faster so I have 2 online options.

And I slept last night.

Thanks again - I relayed every single message.

Thanks for all your good wishes. It brings tears to my eyes to see "words from home" My poor husband is in such pain and we dont know what's up yet other generally. Hopefully this afternoon when the doctor reviews new xrays and tests.

The only good news is the hospital has free, but very slow wifi and I got the international data package on my jetpack which is slightly faster so I have 2 online options.

And I slept last night.

Thanks again - I relayed every single message.

Prayers for a speedy recovery, SuitCaseBears. Lots of good thoughts being sent to you. Let us know if you need anything searched quickly that may be difficult with a slow connection.

Good news - after getting worse he was diagnosed, procedure done and he's better.

We're in Miami, FL USA.

Instead of a cruise blog i'll be posting a "what I learned about what RCCL does when you're put ashore because of illness" clue... they were great.

Archived