Are you considering other cruise lines

are you considering switching cruise lines  

406 members have voted

1. 1. are you considering switching cruise lines

• yes, are considering other lines
    • have already made the switch
    • no, would never change
    • switched and came back to Carnival

We've always sailed with Princess or Carnival and we like both lines for different reasons. We have a Carnival Cruise booked, and I'm sure we will continue to cruise with Carnival in the future, but at this point they are not necessarily my first choice. I know this horse has been beat and I feel very tedious saying this, but it pretty much breaks down to the food for me! While I'm not too concerned with the overall quality, it really comes down to the availability and choices, availability being #1! We sailed the Spirit last year, and will be sailing her sister ship the Miracle this year and I must say, the hours that food, REAL food is available, is downright ridiculous! We don't eat at "peak" times, so by 3pm when we were hungry, there was NOTHING available except Pizza (I hate pizza) the Grill (Nasty fried crap food) and Room Service (although I enjoy the Fajita wrap as much as anyone, you can only eat it so many times!) I'd hate to admit it, but a BIG part of cruising is/was, the FOOD! Trying things you never had before, eating at all hours of the night, the big beautiful midnight buffets, the incredibly artistry of the Gala buffet, and my absolute favorite? Screwing anything and everything about my self control and diet choices! Loved eating all of those wonderfully yummy foods all hours of the day and night and not concerning myself with keeping in shape, or healthy choices! Carnival offers NOTHING spectacular food wise. If I'm not wowed at some point by the cuisine, or if I am repeatedly inconvenienced by the hours the buffet is operated this time around, I WILL be looking to other cruise lines for next year. At least Princess offers REAL food 24 hours a day! Eventhough they no longer partake in the midnight buffets, the buffet is still open at midnight and offers a variety of things from snacks like chips and guacamole, to a pasta dish, soup, full salad bar (which Carnival lacks heavily here) and meats, vegetables etc! Not to mention my absolute favorite, a full spread of deserts!!!! Please get your act together Carnival! I don't want to leave, but you may force us to! That's 6 adults, in 3 balcony staterooms you'll be losing yearly! I get the recession and the need for cutbacks, but we ARE in a recovery now and your company is back to full ships and capacities, bring some things back!!!!! Its time!!!! No more using the recession as a crutch and excuse!!!!

Try Celebrity.

On Princess, I noticed the serving size was smaller. I inquired and was told it was to prevent waste. I am a decent cook and some of the meals I got was fantastic but a few I decided not to eat and waste calories on. The stations has to close down at some point to clean up but I did notice the gap when I wanted something specific but had to wait. For what I pay to cruise on Carnival I expect average to a few above average dishes. I don't expect to pay Carnival price and get gourmet food or decent food 24/7. I hope for a few choices that may blow me away. No, no need to go back, we just need to move away to what pleases us more. Going back means having all the doo-dah but many cruising less or worse waiting until they retire. You should leave because at a different price you can get what you desire. Maybe consider land vacations with dedicated staff catering to fewer people. Cruising used to be about the food, now it's about bigger and grander ships. Find the smaller ships, with less people, and finer foods, at a much higher price.

I just got an offer on Princess for 7 nights for $399, that's $57 per night. It cost me $65 each week to fill me tank up with gas just to drive around town. Date night with movie was $85. For that I am willing to help out in the kitcehn:D

RCL - 8x, Princess 2x, Carnival 4x, plus too many land resorts in Mexico and Jamaica. Change is a beautiful thing!

Food is always available on Carnival. Pizza and room service are available 24 hours. I think the grill is open until 6 pm and the deli is also open until late.

I'm not concerned about CCL's food....I have no issue with quality, quantity or availability HOWEVER, those things...Room service and that 'pizza'?? IMO, do not qualify as food.

I'm not concerned about CCL's food....I have no issue with quality, quantity or availability HOWEVER, those things...Room service and that 'pizza'?? IMO, do not qualify as food.
Different strokes... I really think the "new" pizza is an upgrade. The line-ups can be nasty but I like Carnivals pizza.

I haven't noticed much more of a food choice on Celebrity or RC (except the promenade café) during the off hours.

Food is always available on Carnival. Pizza and room service are available 24 hours. I think the grill is open until 6 pm and the deli is also open until late.

Good to know...thanks!

Breakfast I'm pretty much a fruit, toast and juice person.

Lunch, I'm happy with salad, fruit and tea.

Dinner I'll splurge a little and get their fish or chicken out of the MDR. Or, on the upcoming Breeze, I'll get a Guy's Burger, go to the Mongolian Wok, maybe go to the Cantina.

I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to food.

Good to know...thanks!

Breakfast I'm pretty much a fruit, toast and juice person.

Lunch, I'm happy with salad, fruit and tea.

Dinner I'll splurge a little and get their fish or chicken out of the MDR. Or, on the upcoming Breeze, I'll get a Guy's Burger, go to the Mongolian Wok, maybe go to the Cantina.

I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to food.

You MUST try the pastrami on rye from the deli (and I think room service has it also)

The best I have ever had in my life I actually crave them :)

You MUST try the pastrami on rye from the deli (and I think room service has it also)

Of course now I have to hit the local Kosher deli. Damn you! :p

IMO the pizza and room service is just fine

Loved it and thanks to AT dining I could fill up but still enjoy a later dinner. The turkey and ham or something like that, was pretty good as well.

When the Splendor was on the West Coast we loved to drive and cruise.

Now that we have to fly, a whole world of choices have opened up to us.

We'll be waving to the Splendor from the Oasis of the Seas in St Thomas a month from now.

I haven't noticed much more of a food choice on Celebrity or RC (except the promenade café) during the off hours.

That's not something that I even notice (on any line)...I'm just not one who eats 'off hours' anyway. I imagine for people that like to snack, it could be an issue.

That's not something that I even notice (on any line)...I'm just not one who eats 'off hours' anyway. I imagine for people that like to snack, it could be an issue.

What, people eat more often on a cruise?:eek:

So there are two of us. Hello, kettle meet pot.

Have never really wanted to admit to being a slut, ... but here I go.

Hello, (ahem) ladies. ;)

Boy there are a lot of us amoral types !

BTW - Just booked a Celebrity cruise. Carnival charged us an extra 5 % for paying in Canadian $'s for our most recent cruise

Celebrity ? NADA ! Actually it was $1 less.:D Thank you RCCL.

What, people eat more often on a cruise?:eek:

It isn't even that people eat more/more often, it's that when they DO go to eat, they act like they haven't eaten in a week.

Bizarre, 'It's included in my fare' behavior....

:p:p

Airfare takes a big chunk out of our vacation budget. We have stayed with Carnival due to the reduced rates for our return business. If there was a cheaper way to get from the Pacific NW to the Caribbean, we would try another cruise line. Carnival is budget friendly.

Archived