Confirmed: Century Drydock Coming in February 2014 !

Andy

Below is a message I got from a friend who works in the dining room. I had inquired if they were going to get new chairs in the dining room!

"The dry dock is more of a technical dry dock. That means engine parts replacement. There is no scheduled maintenance for the dining room. So far we have been dusting and sweeping and polishing and feeding the people"

We will be on the 2/23 cruise, we sailed on Century last June and I would have booked the upcoming 8 day even if there was no drydock. I too have low expectations as far as any work being done but we'll have a great time either way :)

Great observation Claude. While watching the webcam, I noticed the same, which is one of the reasons I mentioned that I'm keeping my expectations low. You would think that if they were doing a large amount of soft goods and items such as bedding, there would have been large pallates loaded to the ship. I also did not notice any personnel on the outer/pool decks, so that was curious as well.

One thing though... it's possible the drydock items were delivered to Freeport, and there may be more activity there. We'll see what happens.

Hi, Andy

With the total '' out of service'' time window at 190+/- hours, the 12-13 hours transit to/from GBSY-Freeport can't be wasted. That is why a lot of ''prep work'' is done in transit over to the yard....and a lot of ''last minutes

finishing touches'' are taken care of on the return transit to homeport ( although we all know those ''finishing touches'' quite often run well into the first post-drydock voyage...:rolleyes: ). That also explains why garbage bins are loaded immediately after last disembarkation, as well as ''stuff'' that can be utilized even before entering the yard, as well as pretty well all contractors and skilled labour affixed to that project. They normally get going within an hour of sailaway.

Also, product needed during the yard visit is best delivered right at homeport....cheaper, sooner for useage, and ''handled once'' instead of twice ( unloaded Freeport...then re-loaded on board vessel upon arrival).

As to contractors, specially foreign, arrival and clearance in a major arrival port ( i-e: FLL in this case ) is more practical....and they get to work a lot sooner....and can be available for last minute shoreside meetings before leaving for the yard, with Celebrity's engeenering folks .

All of this to say; : very little will be done above deck here. I suspect a good class hull maintenance and re-treating-painting ++ propulsion components replacement and repairs....possibly shaft/rudder retrueing and maintenance. Related parts were perhaps already loaded thru the deck #1 store doors. I did notice two containers on the pool deck ,forward...but that was it. Thrusters maitenance does not require massive parts delivery,unless she was already operating, shall we say...a bit ''inefficiently''....:cool:..in which case needed parts could be large, i-e;whole unit...

Did you notice her ducktail, previously white, is now dark blue ?

You'll be the best judge onboard on the 12th !!;) Looking forward to your sage impressions

Cheers

And thanks for all your good work.

Claude

:)

Edited by c-legs

Just off the Century yesterday. At Sunday's Oceans Ahead lecture, Captain George commented on the dry dock. He said mechanical and technical repairs would be done and that the hotel and food service areas would be doing 'deep cleaning.' There was no mention of any upgrades or cosmetic improvements.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Everyone,

Have you all seen the thread below? Since Celebrity elected not to make an extensive dry dock for Century, it makes sense that they are actually going to sell her in 2015.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1984058

Bob

Yes, I had heard she will spend summer 2015 in Europe and then adios!!

Is this news is still correct?

A week ago I received my travel documents for March 21 sailing on Century. No cancellation so far.

If you are asking about March 21, 2014 - you should be fine. The rumors about Century's future are for April 2015 and beyond.

I'm on an April 5 th sailing so I hope all goes well and we won't have any glitch in our sailing.

Hi Cruzsnooze,

Im onboard Century tomorrow, and hoping the same :) . Please keep an eye out for updates from the ship. on my "Live From Century" thread. It may not be every day, but I will try to post regularly.

If you are asking about March 21, 2014 - you should be fine. The rumors about Century's future are for April 2015 and beyond.

I found her on Palma Mallorca's schedule yesterday for 2015 through October. She's still under the name Celebrity Century and looks to be doing some smaller ports in Spain. Various dates she's coming from Menorca and Ibiza...hope it's right.