Confirmed: Century Drydock Coming in February 2014 !

Andy

It seem like Celebrity the company is lost, floundering, rudderless since Michael Bayley took over the helm. Why make a formal announcement of a 4 week dry dock, cancel peoples vacations and all that entails including enticements to get these people to rebook other cruises. Then basically cancel the dry dock. Yet no notice as to why, what etc. It seem to me that he needs to take control of this floundering company and figure out what he is doing with it. What ships is he going to keep, upgrade etc. What direction in terms of atmosphere and type of guest does he want to attract because he is slowly driving away some of us with loud music, staff reductions, food quality etc. I have been loyal to Celebrity for the the last six years but.... has been on a down hill slide. I realize that tne economy has been tough. But Celebrity seems to have grown too fast and too big for themselves. I hope they find their direction soon!

This is the second time they have changed their mind on dry dock options for Century. It seems like mismanagement to me.

We've been toying with the idea of sailing her Pacific crossing in Sept 2014, but it's speculation at this point if she'll actually make the voyage.

We've booked on this sailing and can't wait, it should be wonderful. Not sure what's happening with the Century dry dock, but I can't imagine that she will leave the Celebrity fleet any time soon. When she arrives in Australia Oct. 2014, she is committed here for 3-4 months, before heading for Singapore and cruising out of there at least until mid-April, 2015. Celebrity had the Solstice in Australia for our last summer period and 35,000 passengers sailed on her in the 3 months she was here. As demand out-stripped supply, Celebrity have announced the Century will be joining the Solstice for our summer 2014/2015 (Australian summer is Dec-Feb, our seasons are opposite to northern hemisphere countries). I think Celebrity are doing the numbers and whilst the economies of North America and Europe have been sluggish of late, Australians are still spending money like there's no tomorrow. Good business economics dictate that you go where the money is.

Hope you rethink the Pacific crossing as it should be a heap of fun and it would be great to see you on board.

This is the second time they have changed their mind on dry dock options for Century. It seems like mismanagement to me.

It could also mean that economic conditions have changed.

A sound business plan involves reacting to changing economic times.

Century is the least efficient fuel consumer (miles/passenger/$) in the fleet.

If the investment of a complete overhaul with projected revenues was no longer profitable, then it would be a smart move to reduce the investment and market new itineraries... just thinking out loud. ;)

In my opinion, she is scheduled to transfer to CDF croisieres, joining Horizon and Zenith in 2015, hence the shorter drydock.

Pullmantur is getting Monarch and Majesty as They are more mainline than premium CDF.

It seem like Celebrity the company is lost, floundering, rudderless since Michael Bayley took over the helm. Why make a formal announcement of a 4 week dry dock, cancel peoples vacations and all that entails including enticements to get these people to rebook other cruises. Then basically cancel the dry dock. Yet no notice as to why, what etc. It seem to me that he needs to take control of this floundering company and figure out what he is doing with it. What ships is he going to keep, upgrade etc. What direction in terms of atmosphere and type of guest does he want to attract because he is slowly driving away some of us with loud music, staff reductions, food quality etc. I have been loyal to Celebrity for the the last six years but.... has been on a down hill slide. I realize that tne economy has been tough. But Celebrity seems to have grown too fast and too big for themselves. I hope they find their direction soon!

thumbs up!

My question, with the drastic reduction in drydock time, is what exactly they are planning to do with her? Obviously, the grand plans for adding cabins and venues can't be done in 10 days! :rolleyes:

They've already replaced the cloudy windows in the hemisphere lounge. The dated, worn carpeting throughout the ship is in desperate need of replacing. But, what else can we look forward to on our Feb. 15th sailing? (Hoping for a little of that "new ship" smell, lol). :cool:

My question, with the drastic reduction in drydock time, is what exactly they are planning to do with her? Obviously, the grand plans for adding cabins and venues can't be done in 10 days! :rolleyes:

They've already replaced the cloudy windows in the hemisphere lounge. The dated, worn carpeting throughout the ship is in desperate need of replacing. But, what else can we look forward to on our Feb. 15th sailing? (Hoping for a little of that "new ship" smell, lol). :cool:

Hi all,

I've just been in touch with Celebrity's PR department, and the dry dock will actually run from February 4 - 11 (only seven days). During that time, "new carpeting and upholstery will be installed in various venues and suites; marble and wood surfaces will be freshly polished; balconies and the pool area will be repainted, and a variety of routine marine technical work will be completed."

Hi all,

During that time, "new carpeting and upholstery will be installed in various venues and suites; marble and wood surfaces will be freshly polished; balconies and the pool area will be repainted, and a variety of routine marine technical work will be completed."

That's the exact wording in the response I received on facebook.. I just wish there was an explanation for the previous plans..

Hi all,

I've just been in touch with Celebrity's PR department, and the dry dock will actually run from February 4 - 11 (only seven days). During that time, "new carpeting and upholstery will be installed in various venues and suites; marble and wood surfaces will be freshly polished; balconies and the pool area will be repainted, and a variety of routine marine technical work will be completed."

Ashley,

Please ask the PR department why they are no longer doing the full Solsticization that was announced a few months ago:

"In order to incorporate a series of new guest-inspired enhancements – including new staterooms, new luxury suites, and a new look reflective of Celebrity’s award-winning Solstice Class fleet in the restaurants, bars and lounges on Celebrity Century -- the ship will enter a drydock period beginning February 4, 2014. The sailing previously scheduled on that date, as well as three successive sailings – February 19, March 6, and March 21, 2014 – have been canceled, in order to allow for the four-week drydock and to modify the latter itinerary to offer two Coastal cruises, based on guest demand."

We all presume this means that Celebrity has decided NOT to keep the Century.

Thanks in advance.

That's the exact wording in the response I received on facebook.. I just wish there was an explanation for the previous plans..

carpeting in the suites...not the other levels of cabins? When we were on her this past April the carpet in our balcony was literally "thread bare" in many areas! And no mention of new bedding? LuAnn

Ashley,

Please ask the PR department why they are no longer doing the full Solsticization that was announced a few months ago:

"In order to incorporate a series of new guest-inspired enhancements – including new staterooms, new luxury suites, and a new look reflective of Celebrity’s award-winning Solstice Class fleet in the restaurants, bars and lounges on Celebrity Century -- the ship will enter a drydock period beginning February 4, 2014. The sailing previously scheduled on that date, as well as three successive sailings – February 19, March 6, and March 21, 2014 – have been canceled, in order to allow for the four-week drydock and to modify the latter itinerary to offer two Coastal cruises, based on guest demand."

We all presume this means that Celebrity has decided NOT to keep the Century.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Tommy:)....I asked her the same question over on the other

thread too....and are they going to have an "UPDATED PRESS RELEASE"?

They could position her in Baltimore as Carnival is pulling the Pride out in April of 2014. Baltimore will be down to Grandeur of the Seas after that.

Highly unlikely. Due to upcoming envirommental rule changes (which is likely part of the reason why Carnival is pulling Pride out of Baltimore), the changes will be very costly for cruise lines, in certain regions. Century is already scheduled, as she's headed back to the west coast, after a few weeks of Ft Lauderdale sailings.

Of course, schedules can change, but I wouldn't bet on Century headed to Baltimore.

Hi all,

Hi Ashley,

Interesting, but the math does not work. As of now, Century's first post Drydock sailing is Feb 15th. What will Century be doing from Feb 11th - Feb 15th ? Will a 4 night sailing be added to the schedule ? Thanks.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Ashley,

Interesting, but the math does not work. As of now, Century's first post Drydock sailing is Feb 15th. What will Century be doing from Feb 11th - Feb 15th ? Will a 4 night sailing be added to the schedule ? Thanks.

I called Capts Club and was told the dry dock would be completed on the 11th. You are right about the 4 missing days. Perhaps we need to find out.

I called Capts Club and was told the dry dock would be completed on the 11th. You are right about the 4 missing days. Perhaps we need to find out.

We do:eek:...but lets see what they decide to do......:rolleyes:

It appears that she is slated to sail out of Fort Lauderdale on February 12th, but no information yet on where she is going for 3 days. Another Bahamas mini-cruise?

I believe that many would make it a B2B with the 15th if that was offered. Would be a good move for Celebrity.

Perhaps another of these opportunities:

Celebrity Century from LA!

May 3-10, 2014

Itinerary: 8 Days and 7 Nights

Leaving from the Port of Los Angeles on the Celebrity Century with stops in Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, and Ensenada before returning to LA.

Join over 2,000 people on one of the classiest and most upscale cruise ships in the world for this full ship charter, couples only, clothing-optional cruise.

It appears that she is slated to sail out of Fort Lauderdale on February 12th, but no information yet on where she is going for 3 days. Another Bahamas mini-cruise?

Why rush her out of drydock? It's not like she couldn't use the extra time.:confused:

Why rush her out of drydock? It's not like she couldn't use the extra time.:confused:

I know.

I just returned from the Century on July 7th, and as wonderful as she is, I was really looking forward to the results of a more extensive drydock. I just thought that if they were keeping her in the fleet, they would be doing more to bring her in line with the rest of the Celebrity ships.

FYI, for those interested in the newly posted sailings on the Century in February 2014:

There has been a price drop this morning for Captain's Club members on the 8-night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Century for February 15th, 2014. As for the "Loyalty Rate".

For those that are not Captain's Club members, there is also a price drop (not quite as good) for Florida residents.

There also appears to be similar price drops for the February 23rd cruise on the Century.