Confirmed: Century Drydock Coming in February 2014 !

Andy

I'm sure excited. I live in Southern California so just booked the California Coastal cruise for March 29. It's spring break for my grandkids so we invited them and our daughter and SIL to join us. Sure is easier than flying to Florida and taking a 7 day cruise with just 3 ports. I'm REALLy happy!! Gail:D

So did I. Never heard about the dry dock and first time on this ship. Love any new cruises from LA/Long Beach!

Just off the Century and we were told by the Captain that he does not believe Century will be Solsticized. While she can definitely use some upgrades, the worn carpet and other imperfections are something you need to look for. We have spent 27 days on her this year and the crew is amazing and the officers are highly visible.. I would sail on Century "as is" any day!;)

Just a reminder that Celebrity's rumor mill is horrible. The last time Century went into drydock the big rumor from Captains and others on board was that she would be stretched. Basically cut in half and a section put into the ship. Many other rumors.

Bottom line is don't believe anything until there is an official announcement of what is being changed. This includes those who are concerned about the Crystal room.

Personally, it makes no sense to me that the ship would go into dry dock for a month without having the S class elements placed on it. They could just take it out a few days and do the maintenance that has to be done with the ship out of water. If not S class makeover, pretty much anything else can be done while in service.

I wonder if this means we have a chance of Celebrity returning to Baltimore?

j

It really would be terrific if Celebrity had a ship sailing from Baltimore, our favorite and best run port! We sail at least twice a yr out of Baltimore on RCCL and when Celebrity had the Zenith and Mercury. Please bring a ship, preferably the Century to Baltimore!

Question....

Will there be a change in decor much? My mom is considering this cruise and feels it looks very blah.....LOL.

Thanks

The ship will be out of service for a long time so I am guessing yes,

new carpet and probably some new drapes.....possibly new chairs,

etc.....furniture......"the dry goods" will probably be updated.

But as for giving you a 100% answer of what will be done? Nobody

here on Cruise Critic can tell you. All we can do is guess;)

It really would be terrific if Celebrity had a ship sailing from Baltimore, our favorite and best run port! We sail at least twice a yr out of Baltimore on RCCL and when Celebrity had the Zenith and Mercury. Please bring a ship, preferably the Century to Baltimore!

Hi,:) not sure if you saw all her new itineraries going through part of

2015? She is going a long ways away from the United States after

her Alaska itinerary in 2014. So to sail from Baltimore? It would have

to be in 2016.......and who knows where she will be at that point.

I don't know anything about future plans for Century, but if I had an eighteen year old ship that didn't have all the bell and whistles of the newer builds and was investing considerable money in I would be planning on using her on itineraries that are not covered by more competitive vessels. I would put my money into projects that would drive increased revenue per passenger then use her on more exotic cruises world wide. I wouldn't be putting her on itineraries like R/T out of Baltimore where it would be easy for passengers to get to more up to date ships within a reasonable flight time.

There is some emotional attachment to Century, but those numbers are diminishing as newer style ships come on line.

Just My opinion.

Edited by sanjoseca

I don't know anything about future plans for Century, but if I had an eighteen year old ship that didn't have all the bell and whistles of the newer builds and was investing considerable money in I would be planning on using her on itineraries that are not covered by more competitive vessels.

How about using Century for Celebrity's first round-the-world cruise? They could test the waters, so to speak, using a smaller vessel that would be easier to fill and go to places Celebrity has never gone before. Of course those who would fill the cabins wouldn't fit with Celebrity's latest hip-and-trendy demographic push, but those passengers would have the time and money to make it worthwhile for them.

So the cruises after the drydock are open for booking, how do you book "new" cabins?

I would guess that right now you can't. They only announced the drydock in the last couple of months and there is probably a good chance all the changes are not even ironed out on Celebrity's end. At some point on the computer there will be a tab which will allow you to book with dates prior to the drydock and after the drydock. When they do appear on the computer the one after the drydock will show the new cabins or changes in cabin categories.

Edited by dkjretired

They must know which cabins are available, because we booked without even knowing ours was the first cruise after drydock!

It would show on the computer, they have done this many times in the past. You can probably book the existing cabins but I checked the computer and no changes are indicated for after drydock. I would watch it carefully as it may change.

Well, we see what they decide on cabins. I guess they are only adding cabins which may make it not a big deal.

If they are removing cabins or adding public space, some bookings may be impacted I would guess.

Strange that it's less then a year away and they don't post the changes yet...

Edited by happy cruzer

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen the date of January 20th offered, (15 day Eastbound Panama Canal) and then nothing for February 4 on the Century. Then, 11 days later, up pops February 15th, with an Eastern Caribbean itinerary leaving from Ft Lauderdale.

So, am i to understand that the total drydock time is to be 11 days?

I have seen the date of January 20th offered, (15 day Eastbound Panama Canal) and then nothing for February 4 on the Century. Then, 11 days later, up pops February 15th, with an Eastern Caribbean itinerary leaving from Ft Lauderdale.

So, am i to understand that the total drydock time is to be 11 days?

Hi:)...no, something is wrong on the web.:eek: The ship is supposed to be out of service the entire month of February and the beginning of March.

Are you looking at the Celebrity site? Nothing would surprise me on

there:rolleyes:....you would think by now they would have Century's correct

itineraries.

Her drydock is supposed to be way longer than 11 days and that her last cruise

would probably be that January 20th (before her drydock).

Edited by Lois R

The X website is not known for its' accuracies; I realize that. I really hope that is all it is.

thanks for responding,

Lisa

Hi Lisa:)...I am looking at it right now......

This is what I see....a January 20th Panama Canal Cruise which goes

From Calif to Florida......then I see nothing else until March 6th.

So, it looks like (to me) that after that Jan cruise she will be in

Drydock until March 6th. So, not sure what was on there for

February...but Feb 4th is the end of that cruise and she will be in

Florida so they will probably send her down to Freeport for the

drydock.

It is on the X site, it's not looking good for the big changes we thought the Century would get:( Maybe they have decided to sell or transfer the Century after all. I will be bummed, I love the Century, I wish I could hop on the itinerary with St. Bart's but I'll stick with my Pacific Coastal.

It is on the X site, it's not looking good for the big changes we thought the Century would get:( Maybe they have decided to sell or transfer the Century after all. I will be bummed, I love the Century, I wish I could hop on the itinerary with St. Bart's but I'll stick with my Pacific Coastal.

Hi Beth:) what are you referring to? Maybe I am missing something.

What is on the web? I don't see anything after Jan 20th....next

thing I see is March 6th.

thing I see is March 6th.[/QUOTe

Hello Ladies,

When I search by "ship" and then by "date" the other itineraries pop up, along with pricing, availability

15 Feb, 8 day Carib

23 Feb, 8 day Carib

3 Mar, Bahamas, 3 day

6 Mar, 15 WB Panama

Don't understand, but I am sure you are correct Lois. Just a software glitch due to the search pattern.

Hello Ladies,

When I search by "ship" and then by "date" the other itineraries pop up, along with pricing, availability

15 Feb, 8 day Carib

23 Feb, 8 day Carib

3 Mar, Bahamas, 3 day

6 Mar, 15 WB Panama

Don't understand, but I am sure you are correct Lois. Just a software glitch due to the search pattern.

This is what I saw also. It would be nice to get an official announcement about Celebrity's plans for Century.

Hello Ladies,

15 Feb, 8 day Carib

23 Feb, 8 day Carib

3 Mar, Bahamas, 3 day

6 Mar, 15 WB Panama

Called Capts Club and they confirmed that this is the schedule. Said that the dry dock is now planned to end on Feb. 11th. Hope that they are correct.

WOW....Caribbean sailings in February?:eek:....I didn't see that but

I didn't look for CENTURY in February:confused:......weird, weird, weird.:rolleyes:

Now I wonder if they are going to have ANOTHER press release:eek:

I went to see what ya'll are referring to and oh yes....now I see it!

WOW....that is a change. So when is the drydock supposed to take place?

I have never been to St Barts or Grand Turk!

Edited by Lois R

The X website is not known for its' accuracies; I realize that. I really hope that is all it is.

thanks for responding,

Lisa

Hi Lisa, looks like I am wrong.......checking the website and

as you can see from the other folks on here.....looks like CENTURY

has cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale in February.

So, I have no idea what/if/when they will be doing something to her.