Confirmed: Century Drydock Coming in February 2014 !

Andy

I just booked her for mid-March. I was excited to hear she was going in for dry dock in early February -- but now looks like maybe not such an extensive dry dock if any.

Does anyone know if they will be likely to cancel my March cruise now they have reopened it for bookings. I have to get a back up plan devised just in case.

:confused:

I just booked her for mid-March. I was excited to hear she was going in for dry dock in early February -- but now looks like maybe not such an extensive dry dock if any.

Does anyone know if they will be likely to cancel my March cruise now they have reopened it for bookings. I have to get a back up plan devised just in case.

:confused:

Hi,:) she is going in for a week's dry dock. So, not what would be

called extensive. There is no way to tell you if March sailings will

be cancelled. Looks like March/April she will be doing Pacific Coastal

cruises. Only Celebrity would be able to tell you if everything is

going as planned.

Hi,:) she is going in for a week's dry dock. So, not what would be

called extensive. There is no way to tell you if March sailings will

be cancelled. Looks like March/April she will be doing Pacific Coastal

cruises. Only Celebrity would be able to tell you if everything is

going as planned.

So far, they say she is going and we booked for March. Hope they don't cancel it. The Princess one we were booked on was canceled.

Now, on the other hand, several years ago we were booked on the Mercury and they changed the itinerary. They said they would leave us in our room for $100 off each pax and extended the cruise from 7 nights to 11 nights. No brainer!! What a fun trip that turned out to be. The only trouble for me would be if they interfered with my work schedule and I couldn't get the extra time off.

So far, they say she is going and we booked for March. Hope they don't cancel it. The Princess one we were booked on was canceled.

Now, on the other hand, several years ago we were booked on the Mercury and they changed the itinerary. They said they would leave us in our room for $100 off each pax and extended the cruise from 7 nights to 11 nights. No brainer!! What a fun trip that turned out to be. The only trouble for me would be if they interfered with my work schedule and I couldn't get the extra time off.

I am going on her in February after her drydock out of FLL....I see

you live in San Francisco......I LOVE it out there:D...last time I was

there was May 2011 on Century. She sailed from San Diego up to

Vancouver on a repositioning cruise and we stayed overnight in

SF:)

• 3 months later...

I still haven't heard any new info- I asked my travel agent to send over anything she hears as well. It looks like after she leaves Colombia 4 days from now, that's when the gap in the sailings appears.

http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Celebrity_Cruises/Celebrity_Century/February_2014/

Back in action less that 2 weeks later, so it looks like what we are guessing- Not a major change, but hopefully some nice updates and touches.

I still haven't heard any new info- I asked my travel agent to send over anything she hears as well. It looks like after she leaves Colombia 4 days from now, that's when the gap in the sailings appears.

http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Celebrity_Cruises/Celebrity_Century/February_2014/

Back in action less that 2 weeks later, so it looks like what we are guessing- Not a major change, but hopefully some nice updates and touches.

Hi,:) new information about what? There isn't anything new. The

first cruise after the drydock in on Feb 12th for 3 nights out of FLL,

followed by an 8 nighter. So, whenever she gets to FLL after the

cruise that is going on right now? That is when her drydock starts.

4 more days would be Feb 1st....so she will be in drydock for 10/11

days.

When onboard the Century in December, I asked several of the officers what was planned during the upcoming drydock. The general answer was that it was primarily a "technical" drydock to address ship structural and mechanical issues. No major modifications are planned.

Several officers did say that there would be some upolstery replacement, which is a good thing because the chairs in the Crystal Room and Martini Bar really need some work. In general, the carpeting in the common areas looked pretty good to me and it seemed that they were changing out areas as needed (there was a section of the buffet that was changed during our sailing).

Of course, we won't know for sure until we're back onboard in February...

Well, there are a whole bunch of us (Lois included) who will be onboard for Century's first two cruises, after she leaves drydock. So, we will keep you guys posted. Just stay tuned for reviews of the Feb 12, 15, and 23rd cruises!:cool:

Hi Wwcruisers,

I'm also onboard for the Feb 12th & 15th sailings. Looking forward to seeing you at the Meet & Mingle !

At last a Dry-Dock for the Celebrity Century . . . long overdue.

Hope they do all the staterooms.

Hi John,

I'm on the first sailing after her Drydock, and will try to post some reports from the ship. I'm not expecting an overhaul of the staterooms, probably more along the lines of new carpeting, maybe bedding and soft goods. If it's anything more, I will be surprised, but never say never :)

Edited by Host Andy

Does this mean what I think it means? Just reading some posts before booking the March 21 Pacific Coastal Cruise, and now it's not going? It's still listed on the web sites, sure hope that's not true, please?

Does this mean what I think it means? Just reading some posts before booking the March 21 Pacific Coastal Cruise, and now it's not going? It's still listed on the web sites, sure hope that's not true, please?

Hi Ineke,

At this point, Century has sailings scheduled into April 2015. Beyond that, is anyone's guess. We should know more, when Celebrity releases their 2015/2016 schedule, beginning around the week of February 17th, when Alaska 2015 is scheduled to be announced. Stay Tuned !

Edited by Host Andy

At last a Dry-Dock for the Celebrity Century . . . long overdue.

Hope they do all the staterooms.

I agree with Andy.....She is only in drydock for at most 10 days. I doubt

the staterooms are going to be overhauled in that short amount of time.

Actually she is probably going in now....and week after next is her 1st

cruise....Feb 12th.

Edited by Lois R

I made an error...she will only be in drydock for a week......not 10

days.

She is now sailing EAST from California on a 15 night cruise.

She left on January 20th so she should be in Florida Tuesday....

well into the middle of the night Wed....2/5.

The first cruise is 2/12........hi Maryann and Andy:D

Hi,:) new information about what? There isn't anything new. The

first cruise after the drydock in on Feb 12th for 3 nights out of FLL,

followed by an 8 nighter. So, whenever she gets to FLL after the

cruise that is going on right now? That is when her drydock starts.

4 more days would be Feb 1st....so she will be in drydock for 10/11

days.

Hi Lois, I was referring to any new information about what updates would be planned during the drydock. I'm planning on a trip on the Century this spring, so was just curious as to what they might have a chance to work on. It sounds like they haven't announced any official changes or upgrades, so who knows. It sounds like you and others here on this thread will be sailing on her right after she leaves the drydock, so I'll look forward to any info you guys pass along... Thanks.

We gave up on Celebrity and Hawaii round trip from California. We just booked Carnival for October for their 15 day Hawaii cruise from LA. We liked this a little more than Princess since the Carnival Miracle does 5 days in Hawaii, and the Princess 4 days. Both are 15 days total. We have sailed Carnival before and have not had any problems. Obviously, Celebrity is a bit more upper class, but they had nothing to offer. We were on the Equinox in December 2013 for 11 days in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico and the food could not have been any worse. Everyone at our table complained about the selection and quality, so going to Carnival may be a welcome relief. We are on the Eclipse for 14 days next month (March 2014) and are hoping for much better. The Equinox is a great ship, but the food was far inferior to what we are used to. December's cruise was our first going back to Celebrity after we reached Diamond status on RC last spring. We are now Elite on Celebrity and were hoping for much better. My wife said if it was our first Celebrity cruise, we probably would never go back. The joke at our table of ten is the head chef was on vacation.

Hi Lois, I was referring to any new information about what updates would be planned during the drydock. I'm planning on a trip on the Century this spring, so was just curious as to what they might have a chance to work on. It sounds like they haven't announced any official changes or upgrades, so who knows. It sounds like you and others here on this thread will be sailing on her right after she leaves the drydock, so I'll look forward to any info you guys pass along... Thanks.

Hi LoboJ,

I'm not expecting much, if any "new" news, as Century will only be in Drydock for a week at most - which she's entering today. I'm expecting routine maintenance & technical work, perhaps with some soft goods replacement. At this point, the biggest questions I have, is what (if anything) will be done to the cabins, such as new carpeting or bedding.

I'm keeping my expectations low. If anything exciting happens, I will consider it a welcome surprise. Plenty of Cruise Critic members will be onboard for the Ft Lauderdale sailings, so please stay tuned for updates.

Edited by Host Andy

Saw her leave from Everglades ~~2;00-ish today on her way to the yard in Freeport. Strangely absent were the usual numbers of garbage bins, containers, crates, materials,boxes,etc.etc...usually loaded on board a ship heading for drydock.....nor did I detect the same amount of contractors/workers on board, hanging outside during sailaway, normally observed when a ship leaves the last port of disembarkation for drydock....

Not even a ''hoot'' from the bridge...

I would not expect a lot of ''new''stuff, judging by what I saw, to emerge from the yard visit...

Cheers

Saw her leave from Everglades ~~2;00-ish today on her way to the yard in Freeport. Strangely absent were the usual numbers of garbage bins, containers, crates, materials,boxes,etc.etc...usually loaded on board a ship heading for drydock.....nor did I detect the same amount of contractors/workers on board, hanging outside during sailaway, normally observed when a ship leaves the last port of disembarkation for drydock....

Not even a ''hoot'' from the bridge...

I would not expect a lot of ''new''stuff, judging by what I saw, to emerge from the yard visit...

Cheers

Great observation Claude. While watching the webcam, I noticed the same, which is one of the reasons I mentioned that I'm keeping my expectations low. You would think that if they were doing a large amount of soft goods and items such as bedding, there would have been large pallates loaded to the ship. I also did not notice any personnel on the outer/pool decks, so that was curious as well.

One thing though... it's possible the drydock items were delivered to Freeport, and there may be more activity there. We'll see what happens.

We gave up on Celebrity and Hawaii round trip from California. We just booked Carnival for October for their 15 day Hawaii cruise from LA. We liked this a little more than Princess since the Carnival Miracle does 5 days in Hawaii, and the Princess 4 days. Both are 15 days total. We have sailed Carnival before and have not had any problems. Obviously, Celebrity is a bit more upper class, but they had nothing to offer. We were on the Equinox in December 2013 for 11 days in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico and the food could not have been any worse. Everyone at our table complained about the selection and quality, so going to Carnival may be a welcome relief. We are on the Eclipse for 14 days next month (March 2014) and are hoping for much better. The Equinox is a great ship, but the food was far inferior to what we are used to. December's cruise was our first going back to Celebrity after we reached Diamond status on RC last spring. We are now Elite on Celebrity and were hoping for much better. My wife said if it was our first Celebrity cruise, we probably would never go back. The joke at our table of ten is the head chef was on vacation.

We are E+ on X but equal opportunity cruisers and just did the 15 day Miracle to Hawaii in December and had an excellent time. The longer voyage brought with it a mellower crowd and the food and entertainment was very good. We especially liked the show band which also did sets all cruise in several venues...10 pieces plus a singer!! Very full sounding big band much like all the lines used to have. Have fun.

Great observation Claude. While watching the webcam, I noticed the same, which is one of the reasons I mentioned that I'm keeping my expectations low. You would think that if they were doing a large amount of soft goods and items such as bedding, there would have been large pallates loaded to the ship. I also did not notice any personnel on the outer/pool decks, so that was curious as well.

One thing though... it's possible the drydock items were delivered to Freeport, and there may be more activity there. We'll see what happens.

While I hope you're wrong, I think delivery to Freeport is unlikely as it would likely be more expensive than delivery to the U.S. unless possibly taxes were taken into account. Usually the cheapest way to get cargo to the east coast from China is Boat to LA, Train or Truck from there to east coast, so it uld need to be loaded back on a ship, costing more. Much cheaper to just load it on to century before leaving. Additionally, the ships that sail into the ports in the Bahamas are generally much smaller than the U.S. Cargo ships. Stuff gets delivered first to the U.S. then sent on smaller ships to other ports or even by truck as I stated. If they needed say 10 containers of new whatevers, it would be far from a full load if stuff was ordered in China and a full sized freighter. The islands down there just aren't big enough to consume what we do here and need ships that big directly from Asia to drive the prices down.

We sail on Century in March on the 3 day as a quick get-a-way while we were in FL already. Whatever it is, it will be nice to be on a ship, instead of a hotel :) and the prices are pretty good, even if we paid more than the cabins are going for now.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna