Confirmed: Century Drydock Coming in February 2014 !

Andy

Re:I have been on two cruises right after, and two right before one. In all cases, some parts of the ship are like a construction zone. If you don't have the right attitute, it can effect how you perceive the inconvenience. If you're the carefree, "go with the flow" type of person, you'll always enjoy yourself :D! If in doubt :eek:, I would change my plans and be happy it's before final payment.

I'm concerned about the possible construction zone...we sail on the Jan 5-20 Panama Canal trip. (You mentioned that this has occurred on 2 cruises prior to drydock). We are easy going but I also booked another couple that are sailing with us. I'm wondering if the same would apply if we decided to change our trip to another date. The couple I booked are very excited about the trip and I'm hoping everything will go well. :D

Thanks, Andy!

While it would be nice if Century went to Baltimore, I am just thrilled she will be kept in the Celebrity fleet and that the renovations will be done well before our Alaska cruise in September 2014.

Too bad about potential cabin cramming. Changes regarding potential Solsticizing would be nice, however. I would especially like to see a Bistro on Five and Qsine or Silk Harvest. Muranos serves too much food, but it would be nice to have a "group" lunch with friends at Bistro on Five, Qsine, or Silk Harvest, plus the long Bistro on Five hours are very desirable for flexibility. If anyone hears anything about specific enhancements, please share. I know you will as we all like to talk about our beloved ships.

Kathy

I have been calling (as well as my travel agent) and writing Celebrity Customer Service for over 2 months concerning the pending dry dock of the Century.

Kept in the dark for this long of a time, while I could have re-booked on another cruise while a decent selection of cabins are availablee....

I called again on May 17th to ask about my booking as it disappeared from my Celebrity Captain's Club account. The CS rep stammered when I asked about my booking after a couple of minutes on hold, I was told that my AAA agent had already been called that day and an email was sent confirming the dry dock situation and my travel agent would be handling my reservation.

The CS rep sent me an email of the letter that was sent to my agent and when I contacted her, behold, the date stamp on HER email was the same as mine and she had not received any telephone notification of the dry dock!

She had NEVER experienced such inadequate handling of a situation before, either to an agent or a customer!

I was told I was welcome to book the March 6, 2014 cruise at the same rate and the same stateroom with (I am told, the same itinerary), BUT the published itinerary would not be out for at least three weeks. The compensation offer of $400 room credit is expiring May 30th, before the publishing of the new March 6, 2014 Panama Canal sailing!

I feel Celebrity REALLY dropped the ball here not only with their booked customers but their AAA agents as well! I must say their compensation offer is generous, but the whole manner of keeping all of the booked passengers AND agents in the dark for such a long time is really unacceptable!

I have attached a copy of the memo my agent received at WHILE I was speaking to the Celebrity Captain's Club Customer service rep!

Has anyone else (customer OR agent) experience this level of poor service??

I would appreciate any and all comments....???? Thank you for hearing me out!

Celebrity Memo.docx

I completely agree 2GWM. This was handled very very poorly :mad:.

Although they are honouring the 123 promotion, all the prime cabins are gone on the offered sailings.

We booked this back in November 2012 for our 30th anniversary. We wanted the 14nt Hawaii which is not on the new schedules. We can't go on the December sailing because my DH has to book his 2013 vacation in 2012.

The only comparable sailing for timing and with an available Sky Suite is not on the list of price guarantee sailings and it is going to cost me more than the offered OBC to book it. And it isn't Hawaii :(.

If they had offered this in February there would have been some more availability:mad:.

Truly, truly disappointed with how celebrity handled this whole thing :mad::mad::mad:.

I just got an e-mail saying the two new Century cruises were planned in March of next year. Is the dry dock still going as scheduled?

I guess they changed something, but these is still a gap in sailings from Feb 4 through March 6.

I have not had an email yet and am out of town so don' t know if they phoned. I have a 350.00 obc already so now it will be $750.00. Just not much time to make a decision! I am already booked ahead on cruises and don'g want to lose the deal. Is there a final date the cruise can be taken?

I guess they changed something, but these is still a gap in sailings from Feb 4 through March 6.

Those dates are the GrandBahama shipyard drydock booking.( 5th feb to 5th march)

She's heading out on a full Panama transit back to the WestCoast 6th March

I just got an e-mail saying the two new Century cruises were planned in March of next year. Is the dry dock still going as scheduled?

Last I heard, it's on schedule. Those are new sailings scheduled after the Drydock. Hope this helps !

I am glad that the ship will be refurbed before we get onto it in late 2014. Also good that they are offering the compensation for canceled cruises, I think that it is quite reasonable. I would imagine there would be some dissappointed people anyway (as some have already posted).:D

I'm sure excited. I live in Southern California so just booked the California Coastal cruise for March 29. It's spring break for my grandkids so we invited them and our daughter and SIL to join us. Sure is easier than flying to Florida and taking a 7 day cruise with just 3 ports. I'm REALLy happy!! Gail:D

I do hope they won't destroy the Crystal Room. Adding more cabins and having less public space rather spoils the uncrowded feeling of Century.

Host Andy can you comment on the Crystal room? I am reading that they will remove Crystal room to make room for more cabins. If they do that, where would they host events that currently take place there? Any info you can find out would be greatly appreciated. I know official news may not be released for awhile but you have inside knowledge to some of this stuff.

I do hope they won't destroy the Crystal Room. Adding more cabins and having less public space rather spoils the uncrowded feeling of Century.

I hadn't thought of that, I was thinking refurbished carpets and furniture, a spruce up of the ship.:D

Host Andy can you comment on the Crystal room? I am reading that they will remove Crystal room to make room for more cabins. If they do that, where would they host events that currently take place there? Any info you can find out would be greatly appreciated. I know official news may not be released for awhile but you have inside knowledge to some of this stuff.

From the Celebrity web page: "The Crystal Room -A glamorous setting with polished brass, fine woods and chandeliers, for dancing and after-dinner enjoyment."

We have not yet cruised on the Century and are/were considering a Japan cruise in 2015.

We will most likely cancel our plans if this room is removed to add more cabins, as we enjoy ballroom dancing - and this room appears a perfect fit for us.

Not to mention how the overcrowding on our just-past Millennium cruise negatively impacted the enjoyment and atmosphere on that ship. That overcrowding was caused by all the new cabins recently added to her.

Unfortunately there are those at Celebrity who believe ballroom dancing entertainment does not fit in with their latest hip-and-trendy image.

:mad:Thank you for the update. My wife and I were looking for a February / March round trip sailing from California to Hawaii, and it looks like we are out of luck. We just obtained our Diamond status on RC in March and are now considered Elite on Celebrity. Unfortunately, RC quit the round trip Hawaii sailing a few years ago, and now we don't have a Celebrity option. I realize Princess is another choice, but we wanted to continue with RC or Celebrity with out status. We are on the Equinox in December this year. We are both retired and will be doing 3 to 4 cruises a year. I sincerely hope Celebrity will have the Hawaii cruises back on the agenda before summer, or we may start looking at Princess for future sailings. My wife is on Princess with friends for an Alaska cruise in 2 weeks. I will be interested in hearing what she thinks. I think the way Celebrity handled this really stinks! I had called them, and they pleaded ignorant. Their web search showed no Hawaii cruises on the Century for 2014, but some travel agencies were showing 2 cruises and they are apparently are now cancelled. I ordered a Hawaii book from Celebrity 2 months ago and never got it. I guess it all makes sense now.

:mad:Thank you for the update. My wife and I were looking for a February / March round trip sailing from California to Hawaii, and it looks like we are out of luck. We just obtained our Diamond status on RC in March and are now considered Elite on Celebrity. Unfortunately, RC quit the round trip Hawaii sailing a few years ago, and now we don't have a Celebrity option. I realize Princess is another choice, but we wanted to continue with RC or Celebrity with out status. We are on the Equinox in December this year. We are both retired and will be doing 3 to 4 cruises a year. I sincerely hope Celebrity will have the Hawaii cruises back on the agenda before summer, or we may start looking at Princess for future sailings. My wife is on Princess with friends for an Alaska cruise in 2 weeks. I will be interested in hearing what she thinks. I think the way Celebrity handled this really stinks! I had called them, and they pleaded ignorant. Their web search showed no Hawaii cruises on the Century for 2014, but some travel agencies were showing 2 cruises and they are apparently are now cancelled. I ordered a Hawaii book from Celebrity 2 months ago and never got it. I guess it all makes sense now.

sorry to hear your dissappointment. There are some Celebrity ships going to Hawaii (just not round trip). The Solstice,the millenium and the Century are all passing through Hawaii, just not round trips.:D

The Refit is going to usher the Century into the "Solstice zone" which ultimately means more money that celebrity can get and charge. Right now I have spoken to several persons, both staff and travelers and the Century is not in great shape and is need of this refit, also for mechanical systems etc. This drydock is going to be BIG works going on and the "punch list" is HUGE.

I WOULD however love to try her out once she is unveiled....I am sure she will be beautiful. With a smaller ship like this....newer suites, different dining venues....in a way Celebrity will have a little Regent ship in it's fleet if they can add in some inclusive perks....I am very curious to see which way this goes...Way of Azamarra or way of Solstice class..... I am hopeful she will visit some smaller new ports for those of us who have seen most of the others......

Cheers! Happy Sails!

The Refit is going to usher the Century into the "Solstice zone" which ultimately means more money that celebrity can get and charge. Right now I have spoken to several persons, both staff and travelers and the Century is not in great shape and is need of this refit, also for mechanical systems etc. This drydock is going to be BIG works going on and the "punch list" is HUGE.

I WOULD however love to try her out once she is unveiled....I am sure she will be beautiful. With a smaller ship like this....newer suites, different dining venues....in a way Celebrity will have a little Regent ship in it's fleet if they can add in some inclusive perks....I am very curious to see which way this goes...Way of Azamarra or way of Solstice class..... I am hopeful she will visit some smaller new ports for those of us who have seen most of the others......

Cheers! Happy Sails!

Yes, the optimist in me says it will be better than before.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers! Happy Sails!

Just off the Century and we were told by the Captain that he does not believe Century will be Solsticized. While she can definitely use some upgrades, the worn carpet and other imperfections are something you need to look for. We have spent 27 days on her this year and the crew is amazing and the officers are highly visible.. I would sail on Century "as is" any day!;)