It's a SUNSHINE Day

MrPete

Based on the previous reviews of this site it sounds like they have a biased opinion against Carnival.

A biased opinion???? Did you not see the pictured evidence of what was written? As a fellow cruiser on this voyage, I can wholeheartedly confirm what was written. Oh and by the way, the $114 everyone received was NOT compensation...we enquired at guest services what this was for and were told it was because of a reduction in port taxes, so nothing to do with compensation for the appalling condition of the ship.

Seems like a fair review to me. I would understand if there were a few individual cabin issues that got missed, but to have major features closed is a major mistake. Your project managers are really bad if they can't accurately tell you when the main pool and water works will be ready to go, and sending a ship out with those two things closed is ridiculous. I'm still cruising Carnival, but this is pretty poor management. 49 days seems ridiculously short for a major overhaul of this scope, and I am surprised they don't do a dry run like they would with a new build ship to check for problems.

That's why you don't want to do a cruise from any ship from drydock,rebuild until at lease the 3rd sailing. Most of the bugs will have been fixed. And you will enjoy a better vacation.

This was supposed to be the 3rd cruise after drydock.

Unfortunately for pax on this cruise they weren't given an option to cancel after the first 2 were canceled.

Bill

The thing that stands out to me, before Sunshine launched, everyone was saying that it was going to be one crowded ship. That was the one thing that all the naysayers kept saying. I think we now have definitive proof that this is wrong...this article says that the ship didn't crowded at all, and the pictures that Sarge is posting are also not really showing crowds. So, after these hiccups for Carnival are dealt with, the ship should be pretty good.

It's going to be a long five months waiting until we actually sail on her.

No it wasn't overcrowded due in part to all the workers on board taking cabins that paying pax would normally be in.

Sarge's pic indeed paint a pretty picture but it looked pretty for the 10 days of our cruise that it wasn't open, talk about having your nose pressed up to the sweet/candy store window !

I have cruised Carnival before so I know how good they can be, that only added to the feeling of disappointment and unhappiness at the shoddy way we've been used as guinea pigs.

No it wasn't overcrowded due in part to all the workers on board taking cabins that paying pax would normally be in.

Sarge's pic indeed paint a pretty picture but it looked pretty for the 10 days of our cruise that it wasn't open, talk about having your nose pressed up to the sweet/candy store window !

I have cruised Carnival before so I know how good they can be, that only added to the feeling of disappointment and unhappiness at the shoddy way we've been used as guinea pigs.

I believe you are sincere.

And I believe it sucked that your vacation wasn't all you expected. And yeah--- I'm sorry for that.

At the end of the day Carnival was between a rock and hard place. If they don't sail there are probably 2000 Americans in Barcelona without a vacation. THAT---- is the public relations nightmare. Mehh---- the pool not working, the waterslides not working, CNN won't run a story on that. 2000 Americans in Spain--- with no vacation--- no hotels booked--- yeah. Problems there. They'd have to charter a dozen Boeing 777's to fly them home.

I can't say I blame them for sending the ship out. But I'm sorry the vacation wasn't all you wanted it to be.

The thing that stands out to me, before Sunshine launched, everyone was saying that it was going to be one crowded ship. That was the one thing that all the naysayers kept saying. I think we now have definitive proof that this is wrong...this article says that the ship didn't crowded at all, and the pictures that Sarge is posting are also not really showing crowds.

I did notice that too because that's been the main concern a lot of people have shown from the moment the extra cabins were announced.

However, I wouldn't call it "definite proof". I want to see the ship come to New Orleans and start doing sailings at full (all berths filled) capacity. The crowds on a week long Caribbean cruise will be very different than on these longer Mediterranean cruises.

And about Sargent Schultz photos: He does a wonderful job, and the pictures are indeed great. But his pictures are almost "brochure-like". They paint an almost perfect picture of the Carnival ships that he's been on, and they are almost always void of people. So it's hard to say how crowded the Sunshine will be based on his photos.

I'm waiting until the ship starts sailing from New Orleans and more accurate reviews start pouring in before I breathe a "sigh of relief" about the crowds on this ship. I'll be a bit skeptical until then.:o

But it wouldn't be the first time I'm skeptical about how full a ship will feel. I know that I was one of the people that said would never be caught dead aboard an Oasis ship because of crowding fears, yet I did sail on one and realized that I was, not only wrong, but amazed at how wonderful it was. It was one of the least crowded and most spacious ships I've ever sailed on.

I did notice that too because that's been the main concern a lot of people have shown from the moment the extra cabins were announced.

However, I wouldn't call it "definite proof". I want to see the ship come to New Orleans and start doing sailings at full (all berths filled) capacity. The crowds on a week long Caribbean cruise will be very different than on these longer Mediterranean cruises.

And about Sargent Schultz photos: He does a wonderful job, and the pictures are indeed great. But his pictures are almost "brochure-like". They paint an almost perfect picture of the Carnival ships that he's been on, but they are mostly void of people. So it's hard to say how crowded the Sunshine will be based on his photos.

I'm waiting until the ship starts sailing from New Orleans and more accurate reviews start pouring in before I breathe a "sigh of relief" about the crowds on this ship. I'll be a bit skeptical until then.:o

But it wouldn't be the first time I'm skeptical about how full a ship will feel. I know that I was one of the people that said I would never be caught dead aboard an Oasis ship because of crowding fears, yet I did sail on one and realized that I was, not only wrong, but amazed at how wonderful it was. It was one of the least crowded and most spacious ships I've ever sailed on.

I noticed this about SS pictures, too. Where are the people? Seriously, where are they? I have never been able to get pictures of any public places without passengers in them.

I believe you are sincere.

At the end of the day Carnival was between a rock and hard place. If they don't sail there are probably 2000 Americans in Barcelona without a vacation. THAT---- is the public relations nightmare. Mehh---- the pool not working, the waterslides not working, CNN won't run a story on that. 2000 Americans in Spain--- with no vacation--- no hotels booked--- yeah. Problems there. They'd have to charter a dozen Boeing 777's to fly them home.

I can't say I blame them for sending the ship out. But I'm sorry the vacation wasn't all you wanted it to be.

You do realise that it isn't only Americans that are sailing on the Sunshine in Europe?

There are other nationalities that cruise.

You do realise that it isn't only Americans that are sailing on the Sunshine in Europe?

There are other nationalities that cruise.

True. But it's also true that Carnival doesn't market itself heavily in Europe (because their presence is so limited there) so you'll find more Americans on Carnival than other cruise lines sailing in European waters.

Other American cruise lines with a more global presence do market themselves more heavily outside of the USA. Even competitor Royal Caribbean has a more international mix, including sailings out of US ports. One of the things that caught my attention on our last Royal sailing from Ft. Lauderdale was the number of nationalities onboard. The ship publications were available in 7 languages.

True. But it's also true that Carnival doesn't market itself heavily in Europe (because their presence is so limited there) so you'll find more Americans on Carnival than other cruise lines sailing in European waters.

Other American cruise lines with a more global presence do market themselves more heavily outside of the USA. Even competitor Royal Caribbean has a more international mix, including sailings out of US ports. One of the things that caught my attention on our last Royal sailing from Ft. Lauderdale was the number of nationalities onboard. The ship publications were available in 7 languages.

The best I could do was validate a breakdown on the current Legend European sailing.

TOTAL GUESTS 2,185

BRITISH 437

CANADIAN 306

FRENCH CANADIAN 84

RUSSIAN 36

SPANISH 64

Balance were Americans.

After reading that review , the only take away I ended with was

Carnival wasnt ready, with all the issues of late one would think whats under control they would have been 100 % prepared . when a ship comes out of an extended /major refit theres bound to be issues , but not to that magnitude.. Batters not in door locks? exposed wires/cielinng tiles? rooms ( even it was a couple with no water , air or power??

i understand it didnt affect the whole ship . but one would think they would have been way more prepared, way more careful.

I dont think there will be much negative blow back cause its in europe, and while its an issue in Cruise critic, its realy a small percentage of pax.

I must say the serenity looks great.

will be very interesting when its comes back to the US and its booked to full ... and we start getting more reviews

It's interesting that the Sunshine refurb was done so quickly, but when Carnival retired the Holiday and sent it over to Ibero, it spent 4 months in the shipyard for a wall to wall refurb and it came out looking absolutely stunning. Aside from the recognizable hull and blue painted whale tail funnel, it was practically unrecognizable as the old Holiday. You'd think that Carnival would treat itself to a makeover of the same magnitude, considering that they are keeping this ship.

It's interesting that the Sunshine refurb was done so quickly, but when Carnival retired the Holiday and sent it over to Ibero, it spent 4 months in the shipyard for a wall to wall refurb and it came out looking absolutely stunning. Aside from the recognizable hull and blue painted whale tail funnel, it was practically unrecognizable as the old Holiday. You'd think that Carnival would treat itself to a makeover of the same magnitude, considering that they are keeping this ship.

Valid point

I enjoyed that review and thought it was very balanced. The thought I've had since we first started to hear about the problems on Sunshine was would I rather put up with the problems or have my cruise canceled? I think having a few things not open, like the Waterworks, would not have bothered me. But if I was in one of those cabins that had no working toilets, or no hot water, well that would have been a real problem.

The solution could have been to just cancel the people in the cabins that weren't ready or at least give them a choice. It seems like the first mistake was not realizing how long all the refurbs would take. Carnival should have added 3 weeks to the original timeline just to make sure everything was perfect. Most of us have read the problems on ships coming out of drydock and those ships weren't getting the overhaul that was done on Sunshine.

I was very pleased to see how nice the buffet area looked. Seems like Carnival has finally realized there is a better way to manage the crowding in this area. I know I'm probably in the minority but I like to sit in the shade, didn't notice (in Sgt.'s pictures) many shaded spots. I would also withhold judgement on the crowding issue, although the redesign of the buffet area goes a long way in convincing me it won't be a real problem.

I think having a few things not open, like the Waterworks, would not have bothered me. But if I was in one of those cabins that had no working toilets, or no hot water, well that would have been a real problem.

Those are my feelings exactly...I can put up with most anything but issues in my cabin would not be something I could overlook, or blow off, or make lemonade out of. To each his own but I would not want to go for even a short time without hot water or working toilet.....those are deal breakers for me.

I enjoyed that review and thought it was very balanced. The thought I've had since we first started to hear about the problems on Sunshine was would I rather put up with the problems or have my cruise canceled? I think having a few things not open, like the Waterworks, would not have bothered me. But if I was in one of those cabins that had no working toilets, or no hot water, well that would have been a real problem.

The solution could have been to just cancel the people in the cabins that weren't ready or at least give them a choice. It seems like the first mistake was not realizing how long all the refurbs would take. Carnival should have added 3 weeks to the original timeline just to make sure everything was perfect. Most of us have read the problems on ships coming out of drydock and those ships weren't getting the overhaul that was done on Sunshine.

I was very pleased to see how nice the buffet area looked. Seems like Carnival has finally realized there is a better way to manage the crowding in this area. I know I'm probably in the minority but I like to sit in the shade, didn't notice (in Sgt.'s pictures) many shaded spots. I would also withhold judgement on the crowding issue, although the redesign of the buffet area goes a long way in convincing me it won't be a real problem.

They did add 3 weeks to the original timeline and this was the result.

Or did you mean adding 3 weeks to the 2nd original timeline?

Bill

[i agree, although our room was finished and clean, if I were the Management I would have cancelled and offered people 1/2 price on next cruise.

To risk your value and passengers that have been faithful for the almighty dollar and that's just what it is.

But I must say their staff was outstanding and the front line Customer Service took a beating and should be compensated.

The best I could do was validate a breakdown on the current Legend European sailing.

TOTAL GUESTS 2,185

BRITISH 437

CANADIAN 306

FRENCH CANADIAN 84

RUSSIAN 36

SPANISH 64

Balance were Americans.

Could I point out that Canadians are "Americans"?

At work, I refuse to ever play beta-tester for Microsoft, Apple, Google, Adobe, or any of the other software companies that create the tools I use for web development and graphic arts. Others like to do that, and I appreciate their effort, but it isn't for me.

On vacation, I refuse to ever play beta-tester for hotels, restaurants, or cruiselines. Others like to do that, and I appreciate their effort, but it isn't for me.

The more complex a thing is, the more issues that need to be ironed out. That's plain logic, and you have to understand what you're signing up for when something is fresh out of "development."

They did add 3 weeks to the original timeline and this was the result.

Or did you mean adding 3 weeks to the 2nd original timeline?

Bill

I meant the original timeline before they set the date for the first cruise. We now know even that wouldn't have been enough but they would have only had to cancel one cruise instead of two and the ship would have been in better shape for the first cruise. Most ships that come out of drydock have some problems so wouldn't you think that cruise lines would have started adding more time for the drydock.

Thought the review was balanced and well-written. I also felt it was very gentle with criticizing CCL. For the water park to be closed until day 9, for all the cabin issues they seem to have had, for 2 hour long lines at Guest Services - these are situations that could have been aleviated with extra time to finish the ship, and extra staff at Guest Services. There will always be glitches on every sailing - whether the ship is brand new, out of drydock, or old. Thanks for posting the link.

TOTAL GUESTS 2,185

BRITISH 437

CANADIAN 306

FRENCH CANADIAN 84

RUSSIAN 36

SPANISH 64

Balance were Americans.

Sorry, this is way off topic but how did you find this breakdown? Does Carnival do it and make it public? Just wondering how they determine who is Canadian and who is French Canadian. Both had the same passports last time I looked.

Archived