Family Suite, No Balcony on Dawn

• 1 month later...
I understand there is special seating for the Dawn suites. Can anyone tell me if the chairs are comfortable? I have heard that they are benches?:(

Thanks, gracett1;)

They were comfortable but I wou say to go as far in the row as you can for the best view. I did notice when wearing a shorter skirt that the fabric was rather scratchy on the skin

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app

I understand there is special seating for the Dawn suites. Can anyone tell me if the chairs are comfortable? I have heard that they are benches?:(

Thanks, gracett1;)

Yes, they are benches. I didn't think they were very comfy at all. If you're unlucky enough to get an end seat, you have to sit at an angle and won't have any back support. Whoever designed the balcony never had to sit there. :rolleyes:

I booked an SJ family suite for DH and myself on the Star for a 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise. It sounds like we'll have lots of room. I hope we don't get bumped out for a family since we're only 2 people in that cabin.

Edited by cruzsnooze

... I hope we don't get bumped out for a family since we're only 2 people in that cabin.

I can not imagine that happening. Many cabins hold more than what is booked in them. You paid for THAT cabin. It is yours no matter how many people are in it.

If somebody with 5 people come along, they have to take what is still available. If they had some sort of pull, they MIGHT contact you and offer an upgrade to help them out, but the cabin is yours.

Handicap is a different story.

I can not imagine that happening. Many cabins hold more than what is booked in them. You paid for THAT cabin. It is yours no matter how many people are in it.

If somebody with 5 people come along, they have to take what is still available. If they had some sort of pull, they MIGHT contact you and offer an upgrade to help them out, but the cabin is yours.

Handicap is a different story.

I sure hope so because i actually like the idea of sitting in my air conditioned room looking out that huge picture window with no exposure to the sun or wind or rain or whatever the weather throws our way.

• 1 month later...

We just booked SJ 12016. Just the two of us. Anybody have any specific info on that room? eg. squeeky doors swinging at night, overhead noise from joggers or lounge chairs, anything?

We had John D'souza this last cruise we just got off of on june 6th, 2014. He was beyond our expectations for what he did for us, anyway, he had us in priority seating in the balcony. Tim Kaminsky was a comedian on the ship. During his shows he will go out into the crowd and get you. Not up in the balcony though. I liked it up there.

• 7 months later...

Hi. We just got of Dawn in Jan. 11, 2015. We were not in that room but in the same area. There is plenty of room for the two of you. You will enjoy the butler and other amenities. We had no problems with noise nor view, except, SJ 12516 had a broken seal and one of the windows was dripping water. It seems it has been that way for about two years. It was the last family SJ Suite with three beds so we had no choice but to book it. Only thing be careful when the ship is moving a bit in the Gulf of Mexico because the shower door comes open and can hit you in the back while using the sink closest to the door. Yes, balcony seating was exceptional. They check your room key before you go into the balcony area. All beds were exceptionally comfy. One of our members who had an inside room said even the fold out beds were more comfy than her bed.

Family suite abroad Dawn out of New Orleans Jan 4 to 11 2015. 12516 was wonderful with 3 beds, sleeps 6. We only had 4. Bathroom luxurious with double sinks, bathtub, and shower. Toilet is not separated, but if people get in and out fast, dress in their private area, or by closets, everything is fine.66ccc7bccf81b82aa6b9e92d0f189cd1.jpg

Family suite abroad Dawn out of New Orleans Jan 4 to 11 2015. 12516 was wonderful with 3 beds, sleeps 6. We only had 4. Bathroom luxurious with double sinks, bathtub, and shower. Toilet is not separated, but if people get in and out fast, dress in their private area, or by closets, everything is fine.66ccc7bccf81b82aa6b9e92d0f189cd1.jpg

Most of them do!

We were in an SJ last week (12010 - on the other side of the ship) and loved it. Ours was a mirror image of this room.There was only two of us and we got lost in all the space, but we also had windows that were too full of condensation, they were virtually impossible to see through clearly.

Loved the room though, and for what we paid and what we got (all three offers) it was amazing value too!

Edited by Guindalf

We just returned from the Dawn trip to Bermuda, Family Suite, no balcony, Room #12018. LOVED it. The room was nicely sized for our family of 5----it never felt crowded unless we forgot to put shoes away and tripped on them. . .The Murphy bed was great for two of my kids and the room steward would close it up each day to give us that space back. The sofa bed didn't strike me as super comfy but my 10 yo loved it. That wasn't folded up every day but it didn't get in our way as it was against the glass windows. Our bed was wonderful and there is a folding "wall" on one side and a curtain on another, so you can kind of close off the main bed from the rest of the room. The bathroom was great---double sinks, stand-alone shower and full tub. Lots of storage. Walk-in closet area outside of bathroom. I loved being on Floor 12---right down the hall from the pool and not far from Cagney's where suite guests can eat breakfast and lunch. Our Butler brought us treats every day and the little suite perks really make you feel special. We joke that we've ruined our kids for "real cruising" now that they've had priority treatment for embarkation and seating at shows. Hope this helps!

How did you find noise to be in this cabin? We are booked in the same Cabin and sail in 8 days.

Most of them do!

We were in an SJ last week (12010 - on the other side of the ship) and loved it. Ours was a mirror image of this room.There was only two of us and we got lost in all the space, but we also had windows that were too full of condensation, they were virtually impossible to see through clearly.

Loved the room though, and for what we paid and what we got (all three offers) it was amazing value too!

We will be in this cabin on 3/1. Was there condensation in all the windows? Did the condensation stay the same or were there times when you could see out the windows?

The priority seats were pretty terrible in my opinion anyhow.....

I would rather endevour to get here a few minutes early and sit on the mai level, not off to the side in the air:)

I know that this is an old post, but I'm going to concur with it anyway. The view from the "VIP" section of the theater is not as good as parts of the main section.

I know that this is an old post, but I'm going to concur with it anyway. The view from the "VIP" section of the theater is not as good as parts of the main section.

I agree. We've only sat in the VIP section as a last resort. The seats don't face the stage, so you're sitting with your head twisted to the left, and the glass railing obstructs the view.

How did you find noise to be in this cabin? We are booked in the same Cabin and sail in 8 days.

Comment about cabin noise:

Cabin 12018 is out of the traffic pattern (around the corner and up the starboard

passageway) sufficiently away from the forward elevator bank and stairs.

Foot traffic on deck above would be minimal as there are stairs to climb

to a series of sunning/observation half decks.

Noise is a bigger issue starting from the library starboard forward 12032-30-28-26

and port side 12532-30-28-26 are right under the old jogging track

running thru the tunnel/passageway on deck 13 (just under the Bimini Bar).

It is no longer a jogging running track like on the NCL STAR but NCL does not

do a good job of controlling the running jogging traffic at all hours of the day

and night. Was in 12030 recently and the thumpa-thumpa-thumpa pounding

of foot traffic was quite a distraction and not conducive to quality sleep.

Regarding fogged windows both the NCL STAR and the DAWN share the same

problem with the suites with floor to ceiling windows. The damage is on the

inside membrane between the two glass plates. Hopefully when these ships

go thru dry dock NCL will addressed and fix this problem area. My cabin 12030

did not have the issues but my neighbors in 12016 on the STAR only had one

visible window to view out of. Sort of like being in an INSIDE SUITE !

Concerns about theatre noise from Decks 6 and 7 is not a problem as there are

4 decks of insulation below your cabin.

Enjoy your suite life cabin and if you need a breath of fresh air just go up one

deck (13) and you will get plenty especially if the ship is running into the wind.