Shooting up in MDR?

curious_st

Injecting yourself with a needle at the dinner table is rude and gross. I realize it's not gross to the person doing the injecting because they're used to it, but it is to me. I don't want to know your medical history or hear about the port you have sticking out of your abdomen right before I'm about to eat. TMI.

BTW, I'd be a little more forgiving if the person were a type 1 diabetic as opposed to type 2, which was probably brought on due to obesity and poor eating habits. So if you do decide to shoot up, at least tell us what type of diabetes you have so we can decide how annoyed with you we should be.

I file this under the same category as blowing your nose at the table, picking your teeth, coughing without covering your mouth, or changing your colostomy bag...all things that shouldn't be done around food.

Wow. Just....wow.

An amazing wow.

I know. A big WOW. I was going to leave a comment as well, but decided to bite my tongue. (or cross my fingers). Not even going to bother. Unreal

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

interesting this rant as post number 2? obviously someone without the 'boys' to post under their real screen name. would love to be seated with this guy when he went into this rant.

I would never say anything to anyone I saw doing this at the table because I'm not rude, unlike the people injecting themselves with needles in front of others at dinner. I'd just smile and assure them I have no problem with it all if they asked.

There's just no reason for someone to HAVE to do this at the table, so I don't see why it's even an option for them to do it there.

I would never say anything to anyone I saw doing this at the table because I'm not rude, unlike the people injecting themselves with needles in front of others at dinner. I'd just smile and assure them I have no problem with it all if they asked.

There's just no reason for someone to HAVE to do this at the table, so I don't see why it's even an option for them to do it there.

My, oh my.........unless you have X-ray vision, there is no way you would be able to see me inject myself as I can do it under the table out of your line of vision. You would never see me set the dose on my insulin pen, you would never see me discreetly pull up my pants leg or skirt or lift the bottom of my shirt (all while leaning forward at the table) and see me inject myself and then slip the pen or used syringe into my skirt or pants pocket.

I hope and pray that you NEVER have to find yourself with diabetes that needs to be controlled with timed injections......and needing to eat within 5 minutes of injecting yourself. Until you walk a mile in a diabetic's shoes, keep your misguided judgments to yourself.

I'm extremely squeamish, and have fainted due to a blood draw,.

I get blood drawings regularly because of my diabetes. There is a trick that I use. The phlebotomists who do the drawing are always really good and you barely feel the needle going in so what I do is to close my eyes and look away. I feel a tiny prick at most, they get their 3 or 4 vials of blood, and it is over in just a few seconds.

Works for me. Try it some time.

DON

Injecting yourself with a needle at the dinner table is rude and gross. I realize it's not gross to the person doing the injecting because they're used to it, but it is to me. I don't want to know your medical history or hear about the port you have sticking out of your abdomen right before I'm about to eat. TMI.

BTW, I'd be a little more forgiving if the person were a type 1 diabetic as opposed to type 2, which was probably brought on due to obesity and poor eating habits. So if you do decide to shoot up, at least tell us what type of diabetes you have so we can decide how annoyed with you we should be.

I file this under the same category as blowing your nose at the table, picking your teeth, coughing without covering your mouth, or changing your colostomy bag...all things that shouldn't be done around food.

So obviously you are young and in good health. Well, good for you! Clearly you have no one young or old that you care about that have any health issues. You are very lucky indeed.

My advise for you.... GROW UP! You think giving the comments you made make you sound like an adult. You sound like an immature uniformed conceited individual. I could go on, but you wouldn't get it anyway.

Years ago I talked to this guy who said he never pulls over for emergency vehicles. I said, "great... I hope that the next time it happens the person insides dies and I hope that person is your grandmother, mother or sister". He asked why I would say such a horrible thing. I said, well, if you don't care if someone else's loved one dies, why would I care if someone YOU loved died. He thought about it for a minute and said.... wow, I never thought about it that way and from now on I will always pull over. Moral of the story, try putting yourself into someone else's shoes. Get off your high pedestal.

Thumpers... you are a lot more ruder than you think you are if this is how you talk and think. Good luck in life.

If you were sitting next to me, I'd notice your injecting yourself. It's rude and a turnoff at the table. I'd feel the same way if I were sitting in the MDR and a person started to breastfeed, or blow their nose and cough continuously, or burp, or scratch a body part, cry, etc. These are all human behaviors and human needs. But, at a dining table shared with others? no way! Yes, I would ask to be moved. Manners are manners.

I am very empathetic to all of the bodily needs listed above (and, many more not mentioned). I really don't mean to sound harsh. But, it is less than a minute's walk to the restroom or even the deck, or some other discreet area. But, please not at the MDR table.

If you were sitting next to me, I'd notice your injecting yourself. It's rude and a turnoff at the table. I'd feel the same way if I were sitting in the MDR and a person started to breastfeed, or blow their nose and cough continuously, or burp, or scratch a body part, cry, etc. These are all human behaviors and human needs. But, at a dining table shared with others? no way! Yes, I would ask to be moved. Manners are manners.

I am very empathetic to all of the bodily needs listed above (and, many more not mentioned). I really don't mean to sound harsh. But, it is less than a minute's walk to the restroom or even the deck, or some other discreet area. But, please not at the MDR table.

To notice when I used to do it you would have to be staring somewhere between my belly and crotch, questionable behavior on your part at best. :p When I was using the pen at the family dinner table where everyone knew and nobody really cared, I was asked several times if I had forgot. They missed it entirely. Next time I am in a theoretical debate about diabetics overstating thier paranoia about the way they are treated at times I wil reference this thread especially your post and the one by my friend Thumpers. :rolleyes:

Those of you with extreme reactions to shots and needles, might I suggest some therapy? When I was in the Air Force and we had to get lots of immunizations, we had one airman who was so terrified three fellow airman had to accompany her to the clinic to hold her down. She was in the therapy group that met at the same time as the one I was in for "creepy crawlies" I was so phobic about snakes, I could not bring myself to even walk on mowed lawns. I knew I licked it when I actually held Charmin, a very charming boa :D. The young airman was sucessful too, she even participated in practicing giving injections in simulated battle conditions.

Wow again. Simply amazing.

Clearly, you haven't read all the replies. Sometimes it is something they have to do then and there. And many people can do it quite discreetly.

Please reread the OP's original post. They state they need to take 3 shots at the table for breakfast and dinner and one for lunch. You cannot do 3 shots at the table discreetly. They clearly state that they only have a short time for the shots. It is simple to excuse oneself for a few (5 tops) minutes to take care of business.

Gosh, after reading some of the responses by the overly squeamish in this thread, I would suggest getting all of your meals via room service and never entering any of the dining rooms! :rolleyes:

To notice when I used to do it you would have to be staring somewhere between my belly and crotch, questionable behavior on your part at best. :p When I was using the pen at the family dinner table where everyone knew and nobody really cared, I was asked several times if I had forgot. They missed it entirely. Next time I am in a theoretical debate about diabetics overstating thier paranoia about the way they are treated at times I wil reference this thread especially your post and the one by my friend Thumpers. :rolleyes:

Those of you with extreme reactions to shots and needles, might I suggest some therapy? When I was in the Air Force and we had to get lots of immunizations, we had one airman who was so terrified three fellow airman had to accompany her to the clinic to hold her down. She was in the therapy group that met at the same time as the one I was in for "creepy crawlies" I was so phobic about snakes, I could not bring myself to even walk on mowed lawns. I knew I licked it when I actually held Charmin, a very charming boa :D. The young airman was sucessful too, she even participated in practicing giving injections in simulated battle conditions.

Pretty mean post. I tried to be respectful. And, for the record, the "family dinner table" is not the main dining room table that you are sharing with strangers. Like I said, good manners. Has nothing to do with being squeamish.

Pretty mean post. I tried to be respectful. And, for the record, the "family dinner table" is not the main dining room table that you are sharing with strangers. Like I said, good manners. Has nothing to do with being squeamish.

You have read nothing about how discreet we can be have you?:rolleyes: Personally I have only done it once in all our cruises and no one noticed that one time.

BTW, I'd be a little more forgiving if the person were a type 1 diabetic as opposed to type 2, which was probably brought on due to obesity and poor eating habits.

Totally wrong - there are many Type 2 Diabetics who are not overweight and who practice good eating habits and there are lots of overweight people with poor eating habits who are not and never will be diabetic.

The question of the OP was :

"What are your thoughts on someone taking a shot (or 3) at the table in the MDR?"

I answered respectfully. The rudeness and mean spirited posts of Doug R. is amazing to me. We can agree to disagree on this one.

OMG!!! Some of you people are too much! I would have absolutely NO problem with him taking his shot. Or perhaps I would have no problem because I am in the medical field and see all sorts of issues.

Lighten up. Better to inject at the table than to inject in the restrooms where many people don't even wash their hands...smh.

:D

The question of the OP was :

"What are your thoughts on someone taking a shot (or 3) at the table in the MDR?"

I answered respectfully. The rudeness and mean spirited posts of Doug R. is amazing to me. We can agree to disagree on this one.

If that was respectful I would hate to see you being disrespectful. :eek: How worse can it be than comparing it to belching, nose blowing and BREASTFEEDING???? (feel free to have at him moms)

Originally Posted by Donder1

Diabetic myself, and went to lunch with colleagues regularly. I'd pre-load a syringe and tuck it into my pocket. When the plates hit the table, I'd take my shot right through my shirt or slacks.

As long as the fabric is thin enough and of a color that wouldn't show a dot of blood, good to go.

After 40 years, I don't fuss around with alcohol swabs or prep. I figure I was clean when I put on those clean slacks, and it's good enough. Aside from an occasional tiny spot on my blouse, I've never had an issue.

Gosh, I'd like to see some of you seated with my family on a cruise. There are 5 type 1 diabetics who require insulin right before they eat.

Consider how many times you've placed a food order on a cruise or in a restaurant and sat and wondered where your food was. If you're offended by someone giving themself a very discrete shot, I would just love to see the terror on your face when someone at your table seized because they got their insulin too soon. Or is seizing rude and offensive too? Should we (diabetics) be seated in a different dining room so you couldn't possibly be offended?

Gosh, I'd like to see some of you seated with my family on a cruise. There are 5 type 1 diabetics who require insulin right before they eat.

Consider how many times you've placed a food order on a cruise or in a restaurant and sat and wondered where your food was. If you're offended by someone giving themself a very discrete shot, I would just love to see the terror on your face when someone at your table seized because they got their insulin too soon. Or is seizing rude and offensive too? Should we (diabetics) be seated in a different dining room so you couldn't possibly be offended?

Bravo and thanks for sharing! Personally I get agitated then turn potential serial killer when I am very low not a pretty sight.

I give up, some people will never understand or develop a sense of understanding and compassion. :(

Archived