Shooting up in MDR?

curious_st

Insulin pins are so discreet now, that it can be done without anyone noticing.

If that is the case, that is a different story.

If one doesn't make a fuss, no one knows or sees what you are doing, I would feel differently about it.

On one of our cruises a couple of years ago, there was another couple who often joined us for breakfast.

She explained that she needed to get her insulin injected. She had a tiny thing -- I know little about these things - that she slipped out of her purse. I never saw her inject herself -- she was very discreet about it.

She did have to wait for the rolls to arrive.

That can be a problem for some people if food doesn't arrive right away.

Injecting yourself in your cabin -- then making your way to the dining room and maybe waiting who knows how long to get seated and then get a little food -- that could be a problem for those who need to get so many carbs in within a certain time period.

My only concern would be needle disposal.

You can leave the needle on the pen until next time. Just pop the top back on the pen and place it back in the purse or pocket. You can replace it back in the cabin and place it in the sharps container.

If that is the case, that is a different story.

If one doesn't make a fuss, no one knows or sees what you are doing, I would feel differently about it.

Not only can I do it discretely but with today's ultra fine short needle, you can do it one handed (no need to pinch up some skin). I could hold a conversation without even looking away.

Now that I have the pump all you would notice is me dialing up my dosage and most people would think I was consulting a pager. :D

If it's an insulin pen, no problem at all. If you're using a hypodermic, then excuse yourself.

Exactly. Except one friend who makes a grand show of her need to take insulin at mealtime. She uncaps it, holds it high in the air, dials in her dose and then makes sure everyone sees her hit the target. When I scolded her in private she said she refuses to hide her diabetes like it was shameful like me. :rolleyes:

It can be done w/o even noticing unless your one who looks like a conductor getting ready to orchestrate!

I guess there are some of those folks who feel the need for attention:rolleyes:

and if you are take it somewhere else and spare others the drama.

I speak from my experience and I choose to keeping it low key;)

Having been a type 1 diabetic over 30 years, I take my insulin using a pen at the table at restaurants and all over the ship on cruises all the time. For those suggesting using the restroom, why would you suggest using a germy restroom where it is suggested to not touch anything with your bare hands as your leave it? My insulin isn't about your comfort level, it's the only way I can stay alive.

I've been a diabetic for some time now. I use a pen and it is very clear that with a mini needle you do have to pinch the skin, and you must use an alcohol swab with it shot to prevent infections. No way could I do either at the table without it being a bit intrusive. I would always go somewhere discreet for my shot. I would not do it in front of table mates. There are people that are greatly bothered by watching shots for any reason. And at times it bleeds and that is an issue unto itself.

What you should do and what you shouldn't do.....matter of individuality.

I never wiped with alcohol and grabbed a pinch of skin....to dramatic for me. Infections......never had them. No pinching with a ultra short pen needle. Stab, press and go!;)

I've been a diabetic for some time now. I use a pen and it is very clear that with a mini needle you do have to pinch the skin, and you must use an alcohol swab with it shot to prevent infections. No way could I do either at the table without it being a bit intrusive. I would always go somewhere discreet for my shot. I would not do it in front of table mates. There are people that are greatly bothered by watching shots for any reason. And at times it bleeds and that is an issue unto itself.

With the micro needle no pinch required (check the back cover of the latest issue of Diabetes Forecast if you doubt it). The efficacy of alcohol as an infection preventative after a shot or taking a blood sugar reading has be largely been discredited.

With the micro needle no pinch required (check the back cover of the latest issue of Diabetes Forecast if you doubt it). The efficacy of alcohol as an infection preventative after a shot or taking a blood sugar reading has be largely been discredited.

Thanks, I'll let both my doctor and pharmacist know. I just do as they tell me.

Now that you pointed this out I did google and find conflicting information.

Either way, I still don't inject at the table or any other public area, don't see the need to upset the general population.

One of my closest friends is an insulin dependent diabetic and uses a insulin pen EVERY time we got out. She is discreet and comfortable in her skin so she just does it at the table. She does not call attention to herself and always asks me if it is ok. If someone says no she goes to the bathroom but with the insulin pen it very discreet and if you are comfortable doing it at the table go ahead. Others take their pills at the table.

Sharon

My husband is extremely needle-phobic [if that can be accepted as a word] and if he even knew it was being done, let alone seeing it done, he would have to leave the table. I am also diabetic, and I am careful to always keep my injections private from him...not because there's anything wrong or distasteful or messy, simply because it bothers him.

Please don't take the chance of ruining someone else's meal, even though you are discreet, if there is a reasonable alternative. I know, we are all on vacation and deserve to behave as we wish, but I would respect the possibility that others might be disturbed.

I have diabetes that is controlled by diet, exercise and pills so luckily I do not have to take insulin. That said, it would not bother me if you injected yourself as log as you did not make a big production of it. Better at the table than in the bathroom where cleanliness might be an issue. You have just as much of a right to deal with your reasonable medical issues at the table as the people who take pills before they eat.

DON

I had a pump for about 14 years and I had some horrible problems with it stopping delivery for over a year. I had it replaced multiple times, once after malfunctioning in Barbados on a cruise. I just couldn't deal with the pump malfunctioning all the time.

I usually inject straight through my clothes these days. The needles are so much better then they were 30 years ago. I haven't had a problem. There was a study comparing adverse reactions and infections between those who injected with the alcohol wipes and those who injected their insulin through their clothes in the last 6 years. There was no difference between the two groups, so when I went back to injections, I started injected through my clothes.

Archived