Shooting up in MDR?

curious_st

I live in a dying rust belt city. As long as it's not an actual shoot up in a restaurant I'm happy.

Moving on :D.

You mean those restaurants where all the patrons hit the floor when a car backfires? Big hint is when the menu includes "Broken Leg of Lamb" Been in a few of those. :D

I got the impression from the OP that she did not want to offend anyone with her need to inject and was looking for a solution so she could enjoy the MDR. You can't control or change someone's reaction to this, so I thought some of the suggestions were pretty good. I would also suggest that if she was self conscious about it, she could wait until the food arrived, excuse herself to the nearby ladies room and then beat it back to the table right afterwords. Several years ago one of the ladies at our table left at the same time right after her food arrived. At the time I thought she was going to use her inhaler but it could have been insulin.

She could probably get it taken care of at the table without anyone knowing, so I think either way would work.If there were children at the table the restroom would probably be a better solution though.

.If there were children at the table the restroom would probably be a better solution though.

My granddaughter who is now in 5th grade goes to school w several kids who are diabetic and have to inject themselves several times per day. She knows all about the disease and that they do their own injections. I do not know if she has actually seen them do it as they may have to do it in the nurse's office but I am confident that it would not bother her if she saw it. It certainly does not bother her when I check my blood sugar in front of her. Would that bother you?

I guess that kids are more tolerant, more accepting, and less opinionated than adults.

I should also add that when my other daughter breast fed her kids when daughter @1's kids were around, she did not try to hide what she was doing. She treated breath feeding in a manner of fact manner and so did the kids.

DON

I have a daughter who would probably feel faintish at the sight of a needle, but I doubt that she would notice it. If she did, I would consider it a lesson for her. Sometimes we will see things that we don't enjoy, can't easily stomach or just plain disapprove of. That is life and we need to learn how to manage our own offense and reactions.

I appreciate common courtesy and manners in life, but I don't demand them. There are any number of necessary things that could be done rudely or considerately. This isn't any different. Do what you need to do. It wouldn't offend me or my family.

Have a great vacation :)

I have a daughter who would probably feel faintish at the sight of a needle, but I doubt that she would notice it. If she did, I would consider it a lesson for her. Sometimes we will see things that we don't enjoy, can't easily stomach or just plain disapprove of. That is life and we need to learn how to manage our own offense and reactions.

I appreciate common courtesy and manners in life, but I don't demand them. There are any number of necessary things that could be done rudely or considerately. This isn't any different. Do what you need to do. It wouldn't offend me or my family.

Have a great vacation :)

How kind, yet so thought provoking.

If you use an insulin pen (or pre-loaded syringe) discreetly, it's unlikely anyone would notice, unless you draw attention to it yourself. With a pen, no one can see an actual needle unless they are looking very closely and watching your every move. (which would be way more rude than taking insulin at the table, IMO.)

Oh, and my mother is insulin-dependent diabetic and has recently moved from one assisted-living facility to another. Surprisingly (to me) just the fact of her room being a longer walk from the action has wrecked havoc on her sugar levels, so for some people, the walk between the restroom & the table in the MDR could actually cause an issue - they are that finely tuned. For all you sqeamish folks, would you prefer a discreet injection (that you probably won't notice) or a full-on insulin reaction which you will definitely notice?

Being squeamish at anything is an involuntary reaction. Some people faint at the sight of blood. Others are not bothered.

I don't think a squeamish person should be sent to therapy to 'conquer their condition' just in case they are seated at a dining table with an insulin dependent diabetic who may be injecting at the table. Not necessarily the best use of health care funds. IMO

With that being said, those who are bothered need to depend upon the diabetic to be subtle and discreet in taking care of themselves. They should 'assume' any strangers at the table could be bothered and try to save them any discomfort. Just plain good manners on the part of both usually will win the day.

JMO

Some of the posters in this thread are offended if you sneeze. Do whatever you normally do at restaurants. You don't need permission from posters on cc.

I realize that .I have severe allergies that cause an asthma attack so I whip out my inhaler anywhere necessary . When your lungs are closing down there is no time to run to a ladies room.

What are your thoughts on someone taking a shot (or 3) at the table in the MDR?

I take insulin shots for diabetes at each meal. At breakfast and dinner, I take 3 shots each and at lunch I take 1 shot. One of the shots at each meal is a rapid acting insulin. This means that I have to be eating a dish that contains at least 15 grams of carbs within 10minutes if taking the dose. If my levels are a little low before the meal, I cannot take the shot until I have already eaten 15 - 30 grams of carbs. So, I need the shots at the table when the food arrives to keep from getting sick. I actually avoided the MDR on my one and only cruise partially due to this issue.

You can share our table anytime.

Please reread the OP's original post. They state they need to take 3 shots at the table for breakfast and dinner and one for lunch. You cannot do 3 shots at the table discreetly. They clearly state that they only have a short time for the shots. It is simple to excuse oneself for a few (5 tops) minutes to take care of business.

Thank you! I was reading threw these, watching people get so mad that people wouldn't like this and all the talk about using an insulin pen and how discrete they are!

For those who are flipping on people who would care, it does not seem like we ARE talking about your discrete little insulin pens!

When my I was in 3rd grade, my best friend disappeared for almost 3 weeks. 2 of these weeks were because she was in a diabetic coma. She had to take insulin 3+ times a day before all of these new things for it. I remember being out with her and her family, and even port-a-potty's being used to take the insulin, never once had an infection. I can't see how a cruise ship bathroom would be dirtier..

That being said, a quick and discrete pen injection wouldn't be an issue. Worse comes to worse, I can sit them on my right side where I can't see anyways. But when you are talking about 3 shots threw out the meal, that really is a different story. I understand it's a medical condition and it needs to be done, but things CAN go wrong even to the most experienced with it. Those who would be do okay with it, how would you feel in the situation like one person posted about the accident with the insulin spraying? What is something was hit wrong and there was a spray of blood? Again remember it does NOT seem like we are talking about a PEN here!

For the OP, I would suggest attempting to get a table for just your party threw either an Any Time dining option or explaining to the Matre'D why you would really like to be switched to a specific size table.

I see folks (especially at breakfast) swallowing pills, so for me, it's not different to take a shot of insulin. I wouldn't be any more offended than the pill-swallowers.

You do what you can to stay healthy. Diabetes is nothing to fool around with!

Being discreet would be appreciated, however.

Archived