Which hotel in Long Beach?

barante

We stayed at the Pacific Inn in Seal Beach. Nice place with easy walk to their main street lots of shops and restaurants and beach. We were allowed to park our car there while on the cruise no charge. The have a shuttle van and will drop you off at the cruise port. Took about 15 minutes. Breakfast was included. I thought Long Beach looked a little too much concrete jungle for my taste. The staff is very friendly.

Podmon sent this from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Bruin Steve you mention there are two hotels in San Pedro, you mention the doubletree but dont say the name of the second one. Is it the Crowne Plaza? Is the Crowne Plaza a nice place. We were able to get the Renaissance for a couple days before our cruise on 4/5 but unable to get anything in Long Beach when we get off the Crown Princess on 4/11. We want to be somewhat close as our husbands will be going to the Grand Prix on Sunday. We prefer a 3.5 - 5 star hotel. Please advise:)

Bruin Steve you mention there are two hotels in San Pedro, you mention the doubletree but dont say the name of the second one. Is it the Crowne Plaza? Is the Crowne Plaza a nice place. We were able to get the Renaissance for a couple days before our cruise on 4/5 but unable to get anything in Long Beach when we get off the Crown Princess on 4/11. We want to be somewhat close as our husbands will be going to the Grand Prix on Sunday. We prefer a 3.5 - 5 star hotel. Please advise:)

You'd have to go back a couple of posts to my previous post. Yes, the Crowne Plaza is the other...

Grand Prix weekend in Long Beach is tough... If you can't get Long Beach that weekend, San Pedro is not a bad alternative... The Crowne Plaza is, IMHO, nice...maybe not quite as modern as the Long Beach Renaissance, but definitely a hotel I would stay at...especially just before or after a cruise out of San Pedro.

We'll be taking a Carnival Miracle cruise to Mexico Dec. 1, followed by a voyage to Hawaii and back. We invite recommendations for a suitable hotel near the pier.

Also, does Carnival sell shuttles to LAX airport at the conclusion of the cruise? Thank you.

There is Courtyard by Marriott, at the corner of Atlantic and 1st.

Who is allowed to use the Carnival Code you provided? It comes up as a corporate code in the reservation system......

Anyone who is cruising Carnival, we've used it many times and will be again in November.

Ok Thanks. The rates seem too good to be true....LOL It would be very uncomfortable to be asked for some type of ID card, KWIM?

We have never been asked for proof we were on a Carnival cruise, but while we're checking in, we also sign up for the shuttle to the port for the next morning, so I guess they know we're on a Carnival cruise since Carnival is pretty much the only one cruising out of Long Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be sailing in May 2014 and was going to stay in San Pedro but

Long Beach seems to be nicer:)

This is a very informative thread and it will be fun to research

things!:D

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is great, thanks for all the info.

Just want to add my 2 cents:

Our last Carnival cruise we stayed at the Hotel Maya. It was a great place and we were able to walk to the ship. Also using the code we got a rate of under $100. Some friends of ours stayed at the Queen Mary using a code as well and got the same rate. They liked that hotel/ship as well.

This time I went through the list posted above and got an even cheaper rate at the Courtyard Marriott! Wow, thanks

Agree about sticking to certain areas. Parts of Long Beach can be sketchy. We found this out on the last cruise when someone told us to go to a Wal Mart to get our sodas and odds and ends before boarding. Eek!

• 2 weeks later...

Bruin Steve - thank you so much for all of the info!

On a separate note, we would like to take a wine tour for the day possibly to Temecula Valley - can you recommend a tour group that we would be able to take that would not require a car? Thanks again!

Bruin Steve - thank you so much for all of the info!

On a separate note, we would like to take a wine tour for the day possibly to Temecula Valley - can you recommend a tour group that we would be able to take that would not require a car? Thanks again!

That's a tough one...

Most of the outfits that do Temecula wine tours are located in Temecula...and you'd have to get there somehow to join the tour.

Doing a google search, I did find this one offering Temecula wine tours with an LA area pickup, but they are pretty pricey:

anothersideoflosangelestours.com

Remember, it will be a one and a half to two hour drive each way...more if there's traffic...

The only tour company I know based in Long Beach is Sunseeker Tours...and they don't advertise a Temecula wine tour...but they do customize tours, so, you might try contacting them and asking what they can put. Together...never hurts to ask...

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

That's a tough one...

Most of the outfits that do Temecula wine tours are located in Temecula...and you'd have to get there somehow to join the tour.

Doing a google search, I did find this one offering Temecula wine tours with an LA area pickup, but they are pretty pricey:

anothersideoflosangelestours.com

The only tour company I know based in Long Beach is Sunseeker Tours...and they don't advertise a Temecula wine tour...but they do customize tours, so, you might try contacting them and asking what they can put. Together...never hurts to ask...Good luck...

Thanks a bunch for the info - you are right about the company being pricey! I've left a message with Sunseeker. We might end up getting a car for the day - it appears that it would be an easy drive - correct? Once in Temecula Valley, do you have any recommendations about which group to join - there appears to be quiet a choice! Thank you again for all of your help!

• 1 month later...
Here is my standard advice:

There is a very limited area of Long Beach in which you want to stay...and, therefore, a limited number of hotels.

The BEST places to stay are the Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance and Hyatt at the Pike …These put you right in the heart of the tourist area with very convenient walks to restaurants, shops and attractions and easy access to the free "Passport" shuttle...and those ARE th nicest hotels in town. Doesn't necessarily mean they are higher priced, though...and you can often get a real deal via Priceline...

Slightly further away, but still in decent walking distance, are the Hilton, the Marriott Courtyard and the Best Western Long Beach Convention Center...

Just across the bridge (on the same side of the channel as the Carnival Pier) are the Marriott Residence Inn Downtown and the Maya Doubletree...The Queen Mary is across the bridge as well...and right next to the Carnival Terminal...however, I am not a big fan of the Queen Mary--unless you are on there for nostalgia's sake...It's not exactly a first class hotel by today's standards--the rooms are small, condition questionable, etc.

Getting to any of these hotels from LAX, you'd either have to take a taxi or a shuttle...Try Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle...From hotel to pier, some of these hotels may have free shuttles, but policies change time to time, so I would check individually with the hotel...

http://www.longbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1003

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbrn-renaissance-long-beach-hotel/

http://thepikelongbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-long-beach-and-executive-meeting-center-LGBLHHF/index.html

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbcy-courtyard-long-beach-downtown/

http://bestwesterncalifornia.com/index.html

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbri-residence-inn-long-beach-downtown/

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hotel-maya-a-doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-LGBMYDT/index.html

One word of warning: Do NOT go looking for bargains outside of this short list of hotels...Long Beach is a BIG city...there are lots of different areas, some better, some worse...some not so close to the port or the tourist areas...That bargain hotel MAY tell you it's near the Convention Center or near the port...but it may not be...it may be in an undesirable area or location. You want to have a pleasant stay--stick to this list.

This area of Long Beach means you will have a large choice of restaurants nearby, you will have nice shops and picturesque scenery and places to walk and enjoy...You will be close to sites like the Aquarium and the Queen Mary if you want to have a little sightseeing...Long Beach runs a free shuttle service called the "Passport" which will take you all over the Downtown area:

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

glad to find this, Thanks

I will be sailing in May 2014 and was going to stay in San Pedro but

Long Beach seems to be nicer:)

This is a very informative thread and it will be fun to research

things!:D

Lois, so glad to find you post. Looking into doing the pacific coastal out of LA in April 2015 and starting real early studying and searching.

Marcy:)

• 1 year later...

How far in advance are people booking the Hotel Maya with the Carnival corporate code? I noticed there are a lot of dates in Nov,Dec, Jan and they slowly fade out. Do they not let you book that rate until a certain number of days before your cruise?

• 1 month later...

For my cruise on the Miracle departing 12/21. I used no code. I told them I was cruising on Carnival. I have 2 rooms for 1 night and get to leave my car there for the week. Am paying the Carnival rate of 119 for one room and 139. For the other.

• 6 months later...
If you do book the Hotel Maya, use the corporate code 0560018220 for the Carnival parking package/room.

I typed in this code and there was an awesome Carnival Crew rate 123.00. Is that rate only for crew?

• 1 month later...

I have an email to the general manager of the Maya. I used to be able to call and get a great rate when going on a cruise (called the end of June) and got a balcony water view room for $170ish. A friend tried calling and was unable to get the same rate. Was told they didn't do it anymore. I'll post back when I get a reply.

Edited by vwrestler171