Which hotel in Long Beach?

barante

I have an email to the general manager of the Maya. I used to be able to call and get a great rate when going on a cruise (called the end of June) and got a balcony water view room for $170ish. A friend tried calling and was unable to get the same rate. Was told they didn't do it anymore. I'll post back when I get a reply.

Any response from Maya?

gary

I stayed at the Maya for one night pre cruise in late November, 2014 with the Carnival Cruise rate of $119. I wanted to book the hotel again for a 1/31/2016 sailing and was not able to use the same code. When I called the Maya to inquire about it they said that they are no longer offering Carnival rates for passengers.

There is a big convention in town that weekend in January and the Maya's rate for 1/30/2016 is $309. All of the hotels that I would like are very high that weekend, so we will be staying on the Queen Mary that night which, at $209, seems like a bargain. This is something that I've always wanted to do anyway, so I am happy that it was available at a price I can live with, even though it is a bit high.

Cheers,

Taters

There is a big convention in town that weekend in January and the Maya's rate for 1/30/2016 is $309. All of the hotels that I would like are very high that weekend, so we will be staying on the Queen Mary that night which, at $209, seems like a bargain.

FYI the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown is available for that night for $169. Looks pretty decent and gets good reviews on tripadvisor. Not as close to the "action" as the two Hyatt hotels, but still within reasonable walking distance. There is also a Vons grocery store 2 blocks away if you need any wine or last minute toiletries etc.

FYI the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown is available for that night for $169. Looks pretty decent and gets good reviews on tripadvisor. Not as close to the "action" as the two Hyatt hotels, but still within reasonable walking distance. There is also a Vons grocery store 2 blocks away if you need any wine or last minute toiletries etc.

Thanks so much for this option! However, now that we're booked on the Queen Mary we are really looking forward to it. It will be a lot of fun to spend some time on board this beautiful piece of history.

Here is my standard advice:

There is a very limited area of Long Beach in which you want to stay...and, therefore, a limited number of hotels.

The BEST places to stay are the Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance and Hyatt at the Pike …These put you right in the heart of the tourist area with very convenient walks to restaurants, shops and attractions and easy access to the free "Passport" shuttle...and those ARE th nicest hotels in town. Doesn't necessarily mean they are higher priced, though...and you can often get a real deal via Priceline...

Slightly further away, but still in decent walking distance, are the Hilton, the Marriott Courtyard and the Best Western Long Beach Convention Center...

Just across the bridge (on the same side of the channel as the Carnival Pier) are the Marriott Residence Inn Downtown and the Maya Doubletree...The Queen Mary is across the bridge as well...and right next to the Carnival Terminal...however, I am not a big fan of the Queen Mary--unless you are on there for nostalgia's sake...It's not exactly a first class hotel by today's standards--the rooms are small, condition questionable, etc.

Getting to any of these hotels from LAX, you'd either have to take a taxi or a shuttle...Try Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle...From hotel to pier, some of these hotels may have free shuttles, but policies change time to time, so I would check individually with the hotel...

http://www.longbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1003

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbrn-renaissance-long-beach-hotel/

http://thepikelongbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-long-beach-and-executive-meeting-center-LGBLHHF/index.html

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbcy-courtyard-long-beach-downtown/

http://bestwesterncalifornia.com/index.html

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbri-residence-inn-long-beach-downtown/

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hotel-maya-a-doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-LGBMYDT/index.html

One word of warning: Do NOT go looking for bargains outside of this short list of hotels...Long Beach is a BIG city...there are lots of different areas, some better, some worse...some not so close to the port or the tourist areas...That bargain hotel MAY tell you it's near the Convention Center or near the port...but it may not be...it may be in an undesirable area or location. You want to have a pleasant stay--stick to this list.

This area of Long Beach means you will have a large choice of restaurants nearby, you will have nice shops and picturesque scenery and places to walk and enjoy...You will be close to sites like the Aquarium and the Queen Mary if you want to have a little sightseeing...Long Beach runs a free shuttle service called the "Passport" which will take you all over the Downtown area

You listed so many great hotels, but unfortunately, none seem to offer shuttle from Long Beach airport.

It seems nearly impossible to find a hotel that offers shuttle service from long beach airport and to Long Beach cruise port.

I did come across a couple that do offer shuttle to/from both places, but they are not on your suggested list.

Since you seem very knowledgable of the area, do you have an opinion on Hotel Current and Holiday Inn downtown (next to St. Mary's?). There is also a Best Western that has a shuttle to both locations.

Any advise or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

You listed so many great hotels, but unfortunately, none seem to offer shuttle from Long Beach airport.

It seems nearly impossible to find a hotel that offers shuttle service from long beach airport and to Long Beach cruise port.

I did come across a couple that do offer shuttle to/from both places, but they are not on your suggested list.

Since you seem very knowledgable of the area, do you have an opinion on Hotel Current and Holiday Inn downtown (next to St. Mary's?). There is also a Best Western that has a shuttle to both locations.

Any advise or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

It is all very simple. There is nothing magical about "free shuttle". Most Long Beach hotels will not offer free suttles to the airport and to the pier since the two are 12 to 15 miles apart, depending on route taken. The only hotels that might do this do it because they NEED to in order to attract customers.

Here is my take on the two hotels you mentioned:

The Holiday Inn Downtown is just a bad hotel in a bad part of Long Beach.

The Hotel Current is not in that bad a part of town, it's just way on the other side of Long Beach from where you want to be. They offer "Park and Cruise" packages--which appeal to some because of the parking benefit during the cruise--but those people are okay there because they have a car with them.

For those of you flying in to Long Beach and without a car, your best bet is to stay within my recommended list. You will find the hotels nice, the area attractive...plenty of shops and restaurants in easy walking distance...lots of attractions nearby--like the Aquarium, the Queen Mary and Shoreline Village...

Shuttles from the airport are cheap enough. Don't stay somewhere you might regret just to avoid the cost of a cheap shuttle.

Steve, thank you for your quick and helpful response.

Within reason, cost isn't our main concern. I care more about safety, cleanliness, and convenience. Convenient....would be the perfect hotel that offers all of that, plus shuttle to both places. Wishful thinking, it seems. 😊

I will look at shuttle options to the hotels you've listed.

Shuttles from the airport are cheap enough.

It is also worth noting that if flying into LGB airport, the taxi fare is a flat $23 to the convention center area hotels. For two or more people, this is the cheapest (and most convenient) option. The taxi stand is located right across the street from the baggage claim area. Link to Long Beach Yellow Cab rates:

http://rideyellow.com/rates/

It is also worth noting that if flying into LGB airport, the taxi fare is a flat $23 to the convention center area hotels. For two or more people, this is the cheapest (and most convenient) option. The taxi stand is located right across the street from the baggage claim area. Link to Long Beach Yellow Cab rates:

http://rideyellow.com/rates/

Great...thank you for that info. I will definitely check into a taxi for the 4 of us. I think we are leaning toward one of the Marriott hotels; just not sure which one yet. I will decide and book tomorrow.

I love using cruise critic to research and ask advise. Thanks again.

I stayed at the Maya for one night pre cruise in late November, 2014 with the Carnival Cruise rate of $119. I wanted to book the hotel again for a 1/31/2016 sailing and was not able to use the same code. When I called the Maya to inquire about it they said that they are no longer offering Carnival rates for passengers.

There is a big convention in town that weekend in January and the Maya's rate for 1/30/2016 is $309. All of the hotels that I would like are very high that weekend, so we will be staying on the Queen Mary that night which, at $209, seems like a bargain. This is something that I've always wanted to do anyway, so I am happy that it was available at a price I can live with, even though it is a bit high.

Cheers,

Taters

When I was talking to the GM, she said to check back later in the year as Carnival will usually renegotiate a lower rate towards the end of the year. She couldn't guarantee it though.

When I was talking to the GM, she said to check back later in the year as Carnival will usually renegotiate a lower rate towards the end of the year. She couldn't guarantee it though.

1/32/2016 is a hard date in Long Beach. There's a huge convention in town that weekend.

I'm guessing there's a lot of conventions in Long Beach.

I spent much of my weekend researching hotels for our summer road trip -- two specific beach towns were really hard to find a hotel under $300 for a night for three persons. One was Santa Cruz, and I thought it might be because college kids were returning, but I checked their academic calendar and it's not at that time. Hubby said it's just a popular spot to go for a summer vacay (I think he asked me to include SC because he had graduated from there and wants to show the girl his old college).

I was looking for 2/2/2016 and it was still way high.

There is a convention from 1/30/16 - 2/1/16. It is the largest Salon & Spa Expo on the West coast.

I googled Long Beach Convention Center and was able to check the calendar.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Hotel Current is not in that bad a part of town, it's just way on the other side of Long Beach from where you want to be. They offer "Park and Cruise" packages--which appeal to some because of the parking benefit during the cruise--but those people are okay there because they have a car with them.

We stay at the Hotel Current whenever we cruise out of Long Beach (and San Pedro-book the correct package). After the drive in from AZ, we are pooped. We park the car and it stays until we return from the cruise. There is a nice local bar/restaurant, Crooked Duck, a short walk away, and a 7-11 to hit on the way back if needed. The hotel staff is very attentive, the shuttle service convenient. I understand they will also drive you to local attractions like the convention center area. Have not used this myself, check with the front desk if interested. The outdoor pool area is also very relaxing.

• 4 weeks later...

Bruin Steve or anyone familiar with CA ---

Great info! We're coming in 5 days prior and would like to stay on the BEACH. Right on the beach if possible, however, I see a lot of hotels around Long Beach aren't on the beach. Any recommendations? I had to look clear up to Santa Monica when I was just started to research beaches on the coast.

When I think of Long Beach, at least for the waterfront area, I think of the Aquarium, Shoreline Village, the Queen Mary, the Carnival berth. I don't think of a beach. If I want to go to a beach, it would be in the Santa Monica/Malibu stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway...or even further north in Ventura County.

You didn't say when you're planning to come here but real beach weather is usually between late June and early October. A heavy rainy season is predictable (and desired) this year due to El Nino.

If you're staying a few days pre or post cruise and want to see the beach, you can always go to Santa Monica beach or one of the other ones for the day if the weather is nice.

Bruin Steve or anyone familiar with CA ---

Great info! We're coming in 5 days prior and would like to stay on the BEACH. Right on the beach if possible, however, I see a lot of hotels around Long Beach aren't on the beach. Any recommendations? I had to look clear up to Santa Monica when I was just started to research beaches on the coast.

I guess the first question is WHEN are you coming in? Hopefully it's the summer--when the beaches are nice and warm...Of course, the water temperature is never very warm here as we have prevailing "Arctic Currents"...

The problem with Long Beach is that, even though "Beach" is in the name, most of the touristy parts of Long Beach really front on the Harbor, not on any real "beach"...

So, to find any real beachfront hotels, going north, you'd have to go at least to Venice Beach--where there are a couple of Hotels in the Boardwalk area...or up to Santa Monica...and past that, save a couple of small expensive properties in Malibu, you are looking at Oxnard/Ventura...and you are over an hour out of Los Angeles and quite far from the Harbor...

Going DOWN the coast form Long Beach, take a look at Huntington Beach...where there are a few hotels ACROSS THE HIGHWAY from the beach--including the Hyatt Regency, the Kimpton Shorebreak and the Waterfront Beach Resort...

Then, you go further down to Newport Beach--where there are afew more "across the street" from the beach...then Laguna Beach has some small beach hotels...but, again, you are pretty far from LA or from the Harbor...

Good luck...

Thanks for all this information!!! It is so very helpful!!

How about water-view restaurants? Any good recommendations. We're from Michigan so in March are going to love to see water and palm trees. :)

Well...For a nice view in Long Beach, try eating here:

http://parkerslighthouse.com/

If you are up in the Santa Monica/Malibu area...

http://gladstones.com/

http://www.dukesmalibu.com/

Both of the above are right on the beach...but you'll need a car or taxi from any hotel you are staying at...and reservations, of course...

Right in Santa Monica...at the Santa Monica Pier...is this one:

http://thelobster.com/

This one is on the Beach where Venice meets Marina Del Rey:

http://www.venicewhaler.com/

Though I prefer C&O Trattoria across the street (but no view of the beach)...

But there are lots more...When you know where you'll be, ask again...

Again, we so appreciate this information!! Our friend's son lives in Costa Mesa, so we may be stay somewhere in that area or Long Beach. Still researching hotels. But any restaurant recommendations in that area would be so appreciated!! If we stay in Santa Monica, which I like some of the hotels there.... I'll write again.

Again, we so appreciate this information!! Our friend's son lives in Costa Mesa, so we may be stay somewhere in that area or Long Beach. Still researching hotels. But any restaurant recommendations in that area would be so appreciated!! If we stay in Santa Monica, which I like some of the hotels there.... I'll write again.

Replied to your post on a different thread....a unique suggestion is a beach cottage at Crystal Cove State Park, about 15-20 minutes from Costa Mesa. It definitely requires a car, however.