Early flight from Vancouver

shofer

Just got back home yesterday and wanted to let you know how well Princess handled our transfer to the airport for our 10:30 AM flight.

We were the first ones off @ 7:45 and it was only US citizens going to US destinations. It was an expedited transfer with Canandian customs meeting us at the pier. Our luggage was trucked to the American terminal where they were unloading it when we arrived.

Alaska Airlines went through the line and announced they would only check in those who were on the 10:30 or 11:15 flights. Which was fine since it was everyone on our bus.

Next through security and American Customs. Because we were so early, there were only 4 people in line for Customs. But Jan and I had gotten Global Entry cards so we went to the kiosk and and zipped right through.

Rather long walk to our gate, but arrived 1/2 hour before boarding. Turbo prop for 1/2 hour trip to Seattle and found out our flight had been changed to American at a different terminal.

No problem as our flight was not for 3 hours. Had lunch at Chili's right across from our gate and took the leftovers with us for our "dinner". Arrived early at O'Hare and DH picked us up.

Princess really has this transfer down well and we felt quite relieved to see this level of organization. I would probably not book such an early flight again but it did work out very well.

I will post a review of our trip to Alaska in a few days.

Sue

Nice to hear that things went so well in Vancouver.

As I mentioned on your other thread, yours is the second post that I have read recently that mentions some type of baggage transfer from Canada Place to YVR being offered by Princess. This service has not been offered for a couple of years in Vancouver so could you please share some details.

We did this three weeks ago and much of what you posted was true for us as well, except that we did not have a customs official at the pier. We were also the first off the ship, though originally they had us coming off around 9:00--I just went to the purser's desk as soon as we received our tags and asked to walk off. We did have Princess transfers and I made sure to tell the folks directing people to the buses that we had an early flight. They put us on the first bus scheduled to leave, but I have to say that we sat on that bus for almost an hour while they waited for everyone to board. In the end we still made it in plenty of time and had the same experience with the security line and the customs line--we were basically the only ones there.

I don't know if I'd take the early flight again, but I have to say that I was happy we did after we made it, lol.

Also could have done early walk off with luggage, turned left out of canada place, walked 5 mins to waterfront station, bought tx for $2.75 and used canada line rapid transit to arrive at yvr in 25 mins.

Did it two weeks ago.

The stars were all aligned and luck was on your side - I would NEVER book a flight that early out of Vancouver when getting off a cruise (and I live in Canada!).

I agree, glad it worked out but too early for me.

Also could have done early walk off with luggage, turned left out of canada place, walked 5 mins to waterfront station, bought tx for $2.75 and used canada line rapid transit to arrive at yvr in 25 mins.

Did it two weeks ago.

I stand corrected...fare is $4 or $2.75 if senior or have a ticket book ( locals do). Trains run every 5-6 mins

Time Walk. Adult.

Canada Line 7:57am 8:23am 26 min. 0.30km $4.00 $2.75

Departing: 8:00am on 05-28-2013

Travelling From: CANADA PLACE, CANADA PL, VANCOUVER

Travelling To: YVR-AIRPORT STATION, GRANT MCCONACHIE WAY, RICHMOND

Step by Step Trip Detail

Departing From: 7:57am - WATERFRONT STATION SOUTHBOUND

On Route: SKYTRAIN - platform sign CANADA LINE TO YVR

Arriving At: 8:23am - YVR-AIRPORT STATION WESTBOUND

We knew about this option but we are 2 older gals with some mobility issues and big luggage we didn't know if we could handle it. As it happened the ride on the bus was ~30 minutes. Getting dropped off at the correct terminal was a big plus instead of having to schlep the bags and walk through the whole airport.

Sue

The stars were all aligned and luck was on your side - I would NEVER book a flight that early out of Vancouver when getting off a cruise (and I live in Canada!).

As it happened, this was the same flight for Princess EZ Air. If Princess were selling it, they had to be committed to you making sure you arrived in a timely manner. We had booked it separately from Princess but my TA did it because it was the same as EZ Air.

Nevertheless, we were sweating it before we boarded. My TA was on tenterhooks wondering if we were going to call that we had missed our flight. The efficient way it was handled on Disembarkation day assuaged our worries at that time.

Sue

My travel agent explained the expedited disembarkation and transfer to the Vancouver airport to us. It is crucial to stay expedited if you have an early flight. This is one of the few ship transfers we take, generally we get our own cabs, shuttle or car service.

Did it two weeks ago.

Yes. My experience has been that as long as you are willing to walk off with your own luggage, there is no reason you can't book an early flight. I know that the prevailing knowledge on this board is to give yourself loads of time, but we catch early flights regularly (in both Canada and the U.S.). Now here's what works in our favour:

• We always walk on and off the cruise ship with our luggage
  • We only occasionally check luggage at the airport (usually we are carry-on only) but when we do, we are very aware of the luggage check-in deadline
  • We always check in online for our flight in advance and have boarding passes in hand
  • We have priority security clearance at most airports (we are frequent fliers)
  • We have NEXUS clearance for customs between the U.S. and Canada
  • We always investigate the various public transit, taxi and car service options in advance so we know what are options are for "Plan B" should "Plan A" start going awry.

We figure ... worst case scenario -- if we miss our flight, there is always another one later. But it's not as easy to get on an earlier flight if you get there with plenty of time to spare. But I can only recall things not working out once, maybe twice, in all our years of traveling. Hope I don't jinx us for the next trip :)!

Our experience is completely opposite (see my post #13) - we regularly book early flights. Most recently a 9:25 AM flight from SEA-YVR a few weeks ago. I too live in Canada, in YYC in fact, like you!

Interesting. I couldn't find a later flight and didn't want to stress about an early flight, so I'm going to have a relaxing day in Vancouver and will fly home the next day. Glad you had good luck. I'm still happy with my decision. Too much worry and stress for me. LOL.

Archived