Weird question....

While I would not go on a cruise with my mother ever again, that is more because she is one of those people who have to do EVERYTHING free on the ship. I am a happy balcony reader and would rather never leave it except for meals and to go off somewhere on an island.

That being said, I am 32 with 2 kids and a husband. I would LOVE to get my Grandmother to take a cruise with me/us! I ask her constantly. We tend to book farther out, and keep getting told "I might not even be still alive then!". This has been the answer for 5 years now :rolleyes:

I actually am going to have a chance to attend a college graduation ceremony (mine even yeah!) in winter of 2016. It's in Miami, and I am so not going to Florida w/o taking a cruise :p I think I might just book her a room and not tell her until a lot closer to the sail date if things go well!

I am about 99.9% going to be going on a cruise with my parents. I am 30-years-old, married and have a child. I live out of state so this will be our time together... However, is it really strange for just myself going with my parents being this old and married??? Just curious and be honest...Thanks! :)

Go! And cherish every single day on the ship with them! Take many, many pictures, you will be SO GLAD you did later on. You may never have this opportunity with them again.

Not crazy at all.

Vacation with Mom (Sis tags along) at least once a year and leave the DDs at home with DH. We've been doing it for almost for almost 20 years.

Other times it's been the whole extended family. Nothing better than watching your FIL win the Hairy Chest contest for the third time with the grandkids watching.:p

Nope, not unusual at all. You will find others doing the same. On my last cruise the "oddest couple" we kept running into was a 20 something young man who was always with a 70 something woman. We assumed it was grandson/grandmother. He was always there to help her on and off the bus and they always seemed to be having a great time together. And they weren't the only ones doing the same thing. You'll have a great time!

Curious as to why you and you are not taking your family as well? Can you not all go with them? None of our business, but you did bring it up.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Not the OP, but I do like spending time with my mom without my hubby sometimes. When he's along, I find myself balancing my time and attention to a degree between them. Without him, it's just me and mom. I wouldn't do it often, but once in a while is fun.

I am about 99.9% going to be going on a cruise with my parents. I am 30-years-old, married and have a child. I live out of state so this will be our time together... However, is it really strange for just myself going with my parents being this old and married??? Just curious and be honest...Thanks! :)

This is wrong. 30 is definitely NOT OLD. :)

Have a great cruise!

You won't have any regrets, believe me! I hadn't ever vacationed with just my mom, until we did a Celebrity southern Caribbean cruise (too many years ago!). And yes, we left my DH and my Dad behind! Those memories will last me a lifetime! They are now in their 80s and I'm so glad for each trip that we've taken together.

Just a side note- you may want to surprise your parents with something on board, like dinner at Chops Grille (wonderful!). Enjoy your parents and your cruise with them! :)

Good idea to surprise with with something considering my fare is a fraction of what they are paying! :)

Curious as to why you and you are not taking your family as well? Can you not all go with them? None of our business, but you did bring it up.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Money and time off work for husband! :) We just got off the Liberty in March so to swing 2 cruises ( verses one cruise being 3rd passenger) in a year among other financial obligations would be difficult! Trust me I would if I could! :)

While I would not go on a cruise with my mother ever again, that is more because she is one of those people who have to do EVERYTHING free on the ship. I am a happy balcony reader and would rather never leave it except for meals and to go off somewhere on an island.

That being said, I am 32 with 2 kids and a husband. I would LOVE to get my Grandmother to take a cruise with me/us! I ask her constantly. We tend to book farther out, and keep getting told "I might not even be still alive then!". This has been the answer for 5 years now :rolleyes:

I actually am going to have a chance to attend a college graduation ceremony (mine even yeah!) in winter of 2016. It's in Miami, and I am so not going to Florida w/o taking a cruise :p I think I might just book her a room and not tell her until a lot closer to the sail date if things go well!

Thanks for the laugh....:) Good for you and a cruise is a MUST since you'll be in Miami! Congrats on your degree.

Picture your child 30 years from now. Imagine that you haven't seen him/her for a while (let's assume for the sake of this post that it's a "she"), and not for an extended length of time. Wouldn't you want some quality time, just with your kid, without her having to split her attention with her significant other?

That's how your parents feel.

And besides, a little "Daddy - kiddie" time is a great thing, both for your kid and for your husband. He'll see (even if he's an involved dad) how hard it is to take care of a kid alone!

Very true and brought tears to my eyes! I can only hope my son will want to travel with me when he is older! AND OMgosh yes... He thinks he knows how hard it is but really he has no idea! I am going to laugh!

You'll be so glad that you did if you go. I went on a cruise last year with my parents. My husband stayed home. We had a blast. My parents and I have always got along great. They seem to need a tour guide along to plan everything. They're having some more health problems now and I don't think we're going to be able to do it again.

I think it is a great way to have some quality time with your parents but in a location where you won't have to be "joined at the hip" and do everything together.

Exactly! Our daugther is almost 29 and still goes with us. She is not married and is happy to room with us and save money. The last cruise we did together her good friend came too and they got their own stateroom which she does prefer to do-but if it is just us and her, she stays with us so she does not have to pay a double fee.

My sis's husband's brother is in his 40's, been married a good 15 years or more and still goes on a cruise with his inlaws every year. I think it is great he is willing as at some point his wife will lose her parents or they will become too ill to go.

I know we went once with both of my inlaws. My FIL wanted to go to Alaska, hubby and I was not as keen, (we were fairly new to crusing back then- 12 years ago- and the Caribbean had not lost it's "gloss" for us yet) but we went tp please him, and we found we loved the beauty of Alaska coast. Not only that, but 7 months later he had a sudden stroke at age 68 and passed away right after his yearly checkup and a clean bill of health too. We were very glad we had gone.

Your parents may not be that old and most people do live into their 80's nowadays but you just never know what the future holds. So go and enjoy!

My mom and I went on a cruise when I graduated from college ten years ago. One of my favorite times ever! We had the best time!
Now I am about to go with my dad's side of the family (34 of us!!) later this month. I know this is time I will remember and talk about for a very long time!

[quote name='sparks1093']If you can grab some quality time with your parents then go for it![/quote]

The women in my family have a horrible track record with marriage and we've all cruised together for YEARS now, solo, married, divorced...you name it. It's really not unusual at all. There's really no "traditional" family that's the same anymore. In fact, we now take along my son-in-law's Mom, even when he's not going with us. His Mom and I share a cabin. It's a great way for everyone to be able to do their thing with or without each other during the day, have a fun time at meals together in a fun relaxed atmosphere..no stress. No cooking meals, no deciding where to go for dinner, no one having to clean up the mess, no trying to figure out where everyone will sleep and ALL THOSE BEDCLOTHES to wash (lol). It will give ALL of you fun memories for years to come.

Archived