what passes for formal wear these days?

So in summary there seems to be several ways of looking at this:

- Some people think the dress code is a rule that should be enforced.
- Some people think the dress code is a suggestion that if you don't follow is disrespectful.
- Some people think the dress code is a suggestion that they can choose to follow or not.
- Some people think that if you choose not to follow the dress code you should eat in the WJ or elsewhere.
- Some people aren't bothered one way or the other.
- Some people seem to be unsure what they think.

Seems to me that what ever is said here we will all continue to have different views on this subject which we are all free to have.

I for one am happy that I have the good fortune to be able to go cruising and enjoy myself. Like everyone else I'm also free to make choices about what I do and what I wear when I like and if my choice upsets anyone then unfortunately that as they say is life.

Miopyk Edited by miopyk

[quote name='CRUISEFAN0001']This was [B]POST # 3[/B] in this thread.

WOW....more than 200 posts later...they were right from the beginning.[/quote]

You act surprised. lol. :D This is one of the most highly debated topics on this forum.

[quote name='CRUISEFAN0001']This was [B]POST # 3[/B] in this thread.

WOW....more than 200 posts later...they were right from the beginning.[/quote]

Of course it was right from the beginning. All of us who've been here a while knew it would play out like this. A simple question like "what passes for formal-wear?" always brings out those with an agenda to do away with formal-wear, rather than answering the question. ;)

[quote name='Paul65']Of course it was right from the beginning. All of us who've been here a while knew it would play out like this. A simple question like "what passes for formal-wear?" always brings out those with an agenda to do away with formal-wear, rather than answering the question. ;)[/QUOTE]

I changed my mind about you. You're actually quite amusing. I'll bet you'll be along again in a moment to respond to this as well.

Miopyk

[quote name='Paul65']Of course it was right from the beginning. All of us who've been here a while knew it would play out like this. A simple question like "what passes for formal-wear?" always brings out those with an agenda to do away with formal-wear, rather than answering the question. ;)[/quote]

Paul, you've got it all wrong. It's not an "agenda", but an inevitability. Society moves along for good or bad (depending on your viewpoint) and there is really no stopping it.

[quote name='CruiseTobey']Paul, you've got it all wrong. It's not an "agenda", but an inevitability. Society moves along for good or bad (depending on your viewpoint) and there is really no stopping it.[/quote]

There was a wink at the end of my post for a reason. But, truly there are some people who try to push the idea of ignoring the suggested dress in order to hurry along these changes in society.

[quote name='Paul65']Of course it was right from the beginning. All of us who've been here a while knew it would play out like this. A simple question like "what passes for formal-wear?" always brings out those with an agenda to do away with formal-wear, rather than answering the question. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree do away with formal wear!

[quote name='S.S.Oceanlover']Thank you for pointing out those options. I am not opposed to going to the surcharge eateries.:)

I have read a lot about the Park Cafe that sounded like my wife would love it for breakfast and coffee.

Bill[/quote]

Disclaimer I did not read all 209 posts to see if anyone addressed this but the Park Cafe is NOT open for dinner

[quote name='molly361']Disclaimer I did not read all 209 posts to see if anyone addressed this but the Park Cafe is NOT open for dinner[/QUOTE]

I assumed that they'd gotten confused between Park Cafe and 150 Central Park

I worked my way through high school and college selling women's formal wear (gowns - wedding, ballroom, etc.). What is "formal" by today's standards would not have even been considered "dressy" at that time. So I always have to smile when I read posts.

The people to decry the loosening of standards have kind of lost touch with reality. Even decades ago ('80s when I was on my first cruise) the number of gentlemen wearing tuxedos was limited (40-50% maybe) and most women's dresses were long but pretty much standard off-the-rack and/or recycled bridesmaid dresses. Now days from a practical matter we just do not have the luggage space to pack a long dress, heels, hoisery, and jewels needed to pull off even that level of "formal".

On the other side, we have the "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want to folks" who if we were to follow them to the logical conclusion that implies would cause anarchy. Every civilized society has some standards of behavior (including standards of dress). Asking folks who care to dine in the MDR to adhere to a certain minimum standard of dress. And most cruise lines "minimum" is really not that onerous (no more so than requiring long pants for ice skating, or requiring you wear a shirt in the bars)

To the OP -- generally you'll find most men in suits and ties -- some with dress shirts and ties only but that is the "mode" average level of dress. For women, dressy dresses (cocktail) or the equivelent panted outfit is the norm -- something "glittery" always seems to help

You may find some folks in tuxes and long dresses, and others in dockers with polos, but by-and-large -- you'll fit in nicely in the outfits you'd wear to a nice wedding or cocktail party. Enjoy!

[quote name='justjim312']Yeah, I agree do away with formal wear![/QUOTE]why not just leave it as it is. In my experience there are more people that dress for formal night than go casual. The way it is allows for those who wish to dress and those that don't. There's no issue on the ships, just a major discussion issue on the boards and CC is a very small minority of cruisers.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Onessa'].... and others in dockers with polos, but by-and-large -- you'll fit in nicely in the outfits you'd wear to a nice wedding or cocktail party. Enjoy![/QUOTE]What are dockers! Pants are underwear as far as I'm concerned!

The UK. I love how American language can be so totally amusing for us Brits. Fanny packs are another one. Do not look it up unless you are prepared to be shocked!

Still don't know what dockers are.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

[quote name='Canugess']The UK. I love how American language can be so totally amusing for us Brits. Fanny packs are another one. Do not look it up unless you are prepared to be shocked!

Still don't know what dockers are.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app[/quote]

You can't say to not do something as that usually means one, as dumb as I, will usually go and look it up.

:eek:

And Dockers is a clothing/shoe line here in the US. I figured they were a worldwide company. Guess not?

EDIT: Here's a link for ya. Yes, it's work safe. lol. [url]http://us.dockers.com/home/index.jsp?camp=DRSearch[/url] Edited by G85 SS

[quote name='Canugess']Well you were warned! I shall go have a look at that link. Thanks for posting it.

Cg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app[/quote]

Google Image search was safe. But I know the meaning now. lol. As for the link, you're welcome.

And my thoughts on what is formal wear is Suit and Tie / Tuxedo. Some say do away with it. I happen to like the formal nights on my cruises and I tend to spend most of my evening dressed up taking advantage of all of the photo opportunities.