TA doesn't want to book princess cruise

beamqueen

Since this is an Alaskan cruise, the ships going there are more alike than different. In fact, IMO, the Princess line wins out here.

In the Carr., yes, the huge RCL's are there and that is indeed a different picture. So look at the itineraries and I suspect you'll wind up with Princess. As for NCL, I've not sailed them, but the I don't believe the newer NCL's are cruising AK. So, you may not be as satisfied with them. And I only know friends that have went with HAL and indeed they are the most laid back of the options.

So check the ships and itineraries and go from there. I'm still thinking you'll wind up on Princess.

You can't compare a Caribbean or Mexican Riviera cruise to one to Alaska. VERY different no matter what ship or cruise line you decide on. Having surfing, rock climbing, water slides, etc. is pretty meaningless unless you happen to luck out with the weather. Even MUTS is questionable. Comparing a Caribbean with an Alaskan cruise is like comparing Key West with NYC. They're not comparable. Both great but very different.

Alaska is a family cruise destination whether you book Carnival, RCCL, Princess or HAL. That means all ages onboard, from young-to-old. It's cold, particularly when you're not in port. You won't be doing too much basking in the sun. So, scratch beaches, pool games, etc. It's going to be quieter and more sedate regardless of ship/cruiseline.

When deciding what ship, forget about your Caribbean experience and the age groups you had there. It doesn't matter. The ship is incidental other than considering cabin, cost, food and dining preferences. What matters is where the ship sails, what naturalists or Park Rangers are onboard, etc. If the ship and onboard activities are more important, go to the Caribbean.

TA was providing good general advice. Princess and Celebrity are more geared to middle aged customers. I would advise 25 year olds to look at Royal Caribbean first, unless itineraries and pricing are more favorable elsewhere.

I went on Princess when I was 26. I really enjoyed that my husband and I could relax in the quiet. There were less than 20 people that were under the age of 18. I don't know if I'd like Royal Caribbean.

I am a very young 58 yr old. I went on my first Princess cruise going to Alaska about 7 years ago. I went with a group of older friends. I also am now a Platinum member of Princess. I am going to be totally honest. I would hesitate to take my 30 yr old children on Princess because sometimes I get board at night when I go on the long trips to Europe, etc. I like to stay up late. I'm not a partier but I just like to stay up late. People go to bed early. I just finished a Caribbean cruise on Princess and we danced and had a riot with a much younger crowd. If you are going for the itinerary and the excursions, Princess is wonderful. You will not find a more organized, structured cruise line. Everything is perfect. I went on Norweigan last year and I didn't like the freestyle everything. Princess was perfect on our Alaska trip. There was a forest fire and they took us off the train and had us on buses in 20 minutes with a dinner credit and a refund waiting for us. Carnival might have younger people but nothing is as nice as Princess. I just booked a l4 night cruise to Alaska in September.

I've been sailing on Princess since I was 22 and I'm taking my 5th cruise next year (I'll be 31). I've always enjoyed Princess and it would take a lot for me to consider another cruise line I enjoy it so much! Friends of mine who are the same age as me have also enjoyed cruising with Princess!

If you haven't cruised other lines then you really don't know what you are missing. The sheer innovation and design of RCCl ships will leave you jaw dropping speechless. If you want to have drop it like it's hot fun and party, Carnival nightlife can't be beat. To experience what different lines have to offer is an adventure in itself. I am knocking at 50's door and still need a Carnival fun fix once in awhile, not to often due to aging:-). I might try Norwegian but I don't think freestyle cruising is for me. In 17 years I have sailed RCCL (8x), Carnival (4x) , Princess (2x).

Just got off a 1 week to Alaska on the Golden. 4th time on Princess. 1st cruise was at 24 and now I'm 36. Princess always offers things to do at all times. Its much more subdued than a Mexican or Caribbean cruise, even on a Princess ship. I was never bored, but I'm also content laying on my couch in my stateroom and watching the world go by. Our table mates were your age and while I think they liked the trip overall, they mentioned a few times they had issues finding things to do. Its really all about what you are into.

I agree with all regarding Alaska, Princess is the way to go. Just know its going to be a bit more chill.

[quote name='Blk_Amish']If you haven't cruised other lines then you really don't know what you are missing. The sheer innovation and design of RCCl ships will leave you jaw dropping speechless...To experience what different lines have to offer is an adventure in itself.[/QUOTE]While I agree with you that comments regarding other lines should be taken with a grain of salt if some has not sailed or experienced them. However, "jaw dropping" is a matter of taste. One person thinks neon and flash is "Wow!" and the next will think that the design of the new Royal Princess Atrium is "Wow!" I've been on four different RCCL ships and never felt wowed in a good way. I'm a 3-star Mariner on HAL and have had cabins when I said, "Awesome!" I've also been on Celebrity and been unimpressed. I like the way Princess' ships give you the feeling that you're not sailing with thousands of your (not) closest friends. I don't miss RCCL and the big open crowded mall feeling. Different strokes for different folks and it's great we have choices.

Pam, I think when it comes to cruising you are in a class by yourself:D The key is you gave yourself the opportunity to experience them. I love the sheer elegance of Princess ships, almost the way cruising was meant to be. I am impress that Princess came up with a new/different design for the Royal Princess. Unfortunately Princess doesn't offer the nightlife I crave at times, or the off the rock wall, down the flow rider, experience. While I prefer RCCL, I could not resist giving Princess a chance once the itinerary or rate was right. The same for Carnival, and eventually the Southern Caribbean on Celebrity. I alternate between land vacations and cruises, so I am easily impress when my land experience is on board.

RCCL manged to recreate Central park on a boat is kinda a wow moment for the sheer ingenuity. Whether or not you enjoy having Central Park on a ship is something else. So jaw dropping as in the innovation, something other lines haven't done. With age and being directionally challenged , I am becoming less of a fan of the mega ship and resorts.

[quote name='beamqueen']Thanks everyone for some really good advice! My current TA is a family friend. She is very nice but I felt like I knew more than she did just from researching before we met with her. She also did not offer any OBC or anything...and from what I can tell we should be able to get something? My fiancé and I will be on our honeymoon so we are really looking to get some quality time together...almost everywhere I have read recommends Princess for Alaska, so I think I may need to just do it regardless!![/quote]

Congratulations, Beamqueen, on your upcoming wedding & honeymoon!

Our first cruise was to Alaska and yes, it was on Princess. Our TA was a friend of a friend. Things started well & then the TA got ill. As a newbie to cruising I got really frustrated trying to get answers about cruising - friends told us to just go and have fun, but I wanted specific logistical answers :confused: that I couldn't get from the cruiseline and well, our TA was ill. Boy did I wish I knew about Cruise Critic - it sure would have helped us. Because of that experience, we book our cruises through the cruiseline ourselves or through Costco (& you get OBC) or through Alaska Airlines (they give milage and OBC). Don't get me wrong, having a TA can be quite helpful. We once used a different TA that specialized in cruising (online resource) to get on an Alaskan cruise the last minute.

That first cruise to Alaska sold us on cruising. We were hooked! Six months later we cruised the Caribbean on a RCCL ship and I have to say - had that been our first cruise, it would have been our last. I will say we are trying RCCL again - Oasis in January 2014 :D

Yes, Princess & HAL have the best Alaska itineraries and go to Glacier Bay (with a Naturalist too) which is wonderful!. We have been on 6 cruises to Alaska, 4 of them on Princess and 2 on Celebrity. Celebrity took us to Hubbard Glacier and that is one beautiful glacier!

Yes, it's true that you may find an older group of people on Princess ships and the entertainment is better on RCCL ships, but I remind you that you have done your research! Trust that. Only you and your honey know what kind of cruise experience you want - check out the RCCL boards like other posters have suggested and base your decision on the info YOU have gathered.

Sounds like you will probably go with Princess. If you do and you book a balcony room - go for the Champagne breakfast when you are in Glacier Bay - you are on your honeymoon! :) Don't forget your binoculars and dress in layers. Have a great honeymoon and cruise.

-Rose

[quote name='Blk_Amish'] RCCL manged to recreate Central park on a boat is kinda a wow moment for the sheer ingenuity. Whether or not you enjoy having Central Park on a ship is something else. [/quote]

The jumping off point of this thread was specific to Alaska. As has been pointed out previously, the ships on the Alaskan itineraries are not the new, state-of-the-art ships with all of these jaw-dropping technological advances. But what if they were? So the ship has an interior atrium where you can walk amongst a couple of trees. I think that getting off the ship in Alaska will afford you a slightly better walk in the woods. So the ship has a 50 foot rock climbing wall. I think Alaska has a few rock walls that are a wee bit higher and more dramatic. So the ship has a water slide. You want some on-the-water fun? How about kayaking around any one of a number of islands in Alaska. I am not disparaging other cruise lines' amenities. But when it comes to Alaska the ship in and of itself should not be the determining factor.
[LIST]
[*]Alaskan cruises are really port intensive, and even your "sea" days aren't typical "lounge around and do nothing" days. They are glacier viewing days where one is looking outward from the decks instead of huddling inside in the atrium shopping malls.
[*]The people who cruise to Alaska are typically looking for a get-in-touch-with-nature experience that goes beyond Johnny Rockets and wave riders. Which is exactly why neither RCCL nor Disney send their newest ships to that area.
[/LIST]As between RCCL's Radiance of the Seas or any one of the number of Princess ships sailing from Vancouver to Alaska, the itineraries are almost identical, except that Princess gives you Glacier Bay and ends in Whittier. The amenities on board are similar and the atmosphere will be too since most people will be getting off the ships every day to go kayaking, whale watching, taking trains and buses to the Yukon territory, riding helicopters and sea planes to mountains and glaciers, going dog sled riding, eagle watching, hiking, and on and on and on. People don't go to Alaska to party until 2:00 a.m. nor do they line up for on-board wave riding in the afternoon. At least, the vast majority of them don't. They want to be up early to photograph the sunrise, then catch their 8:30 excurison to the great outdoors. So knocking Princess for not having these great on-board activities doesn't work when analyizing the Alaskan experience. On other itineraries? Sure. Compare away. But Alaska is truly unique and the "fun ship" atmosphere simply doesn't play as well there. By analogy, is the Hard Rock Hotel in Cancun more fun than a quiet lodge in Steamboat simply because Cancun has parasailing and banana boats and Senor Frog's and people doing upside down tequila shots? Well, if the purpose of your vacation is to to ski, then I'm pretty sure that the laid back atmosphere of the lodge in Steamboat is going to win. Touting all of the state of the art amenities of the beach resort doesn't win the argument if none of those amenities further the experience of the vacationing skier. And none of the really cool amenities on RCCL nor the partying on Carnival add to the enjoyment of an Alaskan adventure. In a different context, then the new amenities may really make a difference. But that is a debate for a different thread.

Jimmy, I am sorry but my post was DIRECTLY to something PAM said. I used her name in the post to make it clear I was addressing her and her comment. I also complimented her cruise experience, I would assume also off topic, but really not my intent. Please go back and READ Pam's post along with post #14 and hopefully you will get a better understanding. I don't get the purpose of your post since I only encouraged someone to experience something different given the TIME and OPPORTUNITY, as Pam and I have done. I WAS NOT KNOCKING PRINCESS and even mentioned the elegance of the Princess line.

Thanks

[quote name='JimmyVWine']. So knocking Princess for not having these great on-board activities doesn't work when analyizing the Alaskan experience..[/QUOTE]

" I love the sheer elegance of Princess ships, almost the way cruising was meant to be"

" I am impress that Princess came up with a new/different design for the Royal Princess."

What greater compliments to be given to any product? So Jimmy, really sorry you missed that in MY post to comment on something FAR LESS relevant and included as an insignificant footnote. Highlighting differences is not knocking a product but being un-bias, when it comes to ALL lines. I am grateful for whichever I am blessed enough to sail. Jimmy, what we respond to does say a lot about us.

[quote name='Blk_Amish'] I don't get the purpose of your post since I only encouraged someone to experience something different given the TIME and OPPORTUNITY, as Pam and I have done. I WAS NOT KNOCKING PRINCESS and even mentioned the elegance of the Princess line.

Thanks[/quote]

Simple. The reference that I was commenting on was in a separate paragraph from the one in which you were addressing Pam, so it appeared as if you were moving back toward the topic at hand. If that is not what you intended, I apologize, but there was no way to know that your last paragraph was intended to be off topic.

[quote name='JimmyVWine']Simple. The reference that I was commenting on was in a separate paragraph from the one in which you were addressing Pam, so it appeared as if you were moving back toward the topic at hand. [COLOR="DarkRed"] If that is not what you intended, I apologize, but there was no way to know that your last paragraph was intended to be off topic[/COLOR].[/QUOTE]

Jimmy thank you

Whenever you not sure simply focus on the positive which was clearly stated, the sheer elegance of a Princess ship is what cruising was meant to be". What more can anyone say to convince someone Princess might be the way to go? Everything is what came after, which is pretty amazing. Is it for everyone, NO, as I also stated I am becoming less of a fan of the mega ships due to age.

[quote name='Blk_Amish']Pam, I think when it comes to cruising you are in a class by yourself:D The key is you gave yourself the opportunity to experience them. I love the sheer elegance of Princess ships, almost the way cruising was meant to be. I am impress that Princess came up with a new/different design for the Royal Princess. Unfortunately Princess doesn't offer the nightlife I crave at times, or the off the rock wall, down the flow rider, experience. While I prefer RCCL, I could not resist giving Princess a chance once the itinerary or rate was right. The same for Carnival, and eventually the Southern Caribbean on Celebrity. I alternate between land vacations and cruises, so I am easily impress when my land experience is on board.

RCCL manged to recreate Central park on a boat is kinda a wow moment for the sheer ingenuity. Whether or not you enjoy having Central Park on a ship is something else. So jaw dropping as in the innovation, something other lines haven't done. With age and being directionally challenged , I am becoming less of a fan of the mega ship and resorts.[/quote]

Ah, but not everyone is interested or even awed by a giant mall on the sea. I grew up in the land of the original malls (the San Fernando Valley part of Los Angeles, and yes, I am a Val), but that's not the experience I'm looking for on a ship. Enjoying a competitive trivia match, listening to live music, having dinner in a traditional dining setting...that's for me. I guess if I really want to climb a rock climbing wall or go on a water slide, I can do a little research and find something like that around here.

If I want flashing lights and wild decor, I can go to Las Vegas.

To each his own. But just don't assume that a large expanse or an ice skating rink makes a ship better than another. It just makes it a different ship than one without those.

[QUOTE=Cruisin' Chick;38626873] [COLOR="Red"]But just don't assume that a large expanse or an ice skating rink makes a ship better than another.[/COLOR] It just makes it a different ship than one without those.[/QUOTE]

I NEVER DID. I touched on the innovation of RCCL as much as I did the elegance of Princess. Someone could argue (that would neva happen:-) that Princess is not elegant and has the same ole, same ole look. Wait that is the RCCL people talking:D. To those who haven't tried the others lines, there is a lot to behold, which was to post #14. Some you might enjoy, others will send you jumping over board. It's a really an amazing time to cruise, cheap too! I am NOT devoted to any cruise line and DO appreciate what each has to offer, the true intent of my post. I LOVE the elegance of Princess, the innovation of RCCL, and nightlife on Carnival.

I now truly apologize for mentioning any other cruise line in my post. Truly sorry!

[quote name='Blk_Amish']I now truly apologize for mentioning any other cruise line in my post. Truly sorry![/quote]

I just wanted to jump in here to support you. I understand the intent of your post and agree with you. This thread has been interesting to me because of all the posters who suggested the OP find a new travel agent for steering her away from Princess. And yet many have never tried certain lines (mainly Carnival or NCL) because their TA steered them away from them.

If you want the Best overall 7 day to Alaska, and don't mind paying a little extra, IMHO this is it (We did this one on the Zaandam and it was AWESOME) and no it isn't Princess:eek:

Book a veranda on Holland America's Volendam or Zuiderdam (we'd pick the smaller Volendam - you can pick which ever dam ship you like) round trip Vancouver with the following ports:

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Inside Passage (Cruising)
Tracy Arm (Twin Sawyer Glaciers), AK (Cruising)
Juneau, AK
Skagway, AK
Glacier Bay National Park, AK
Ketchikan, AK
Inside Passage (Cruising)
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Book a pre-cruise room at Pan Pacific with transfers. No it isn't as fancy as the Four Seasons ... but it sits on top of the cruise terminal. It is difficult to describe how cool it is to sit in your room and watch you ship sail in and then go to the elevator press "C" and get on your ship. :D

No the entertainment isn't the best...:(
Not the ships aren't all big and fancy with malls and rock walls...:p
But:
The ships are smaller and not crowed.
The food is great.
The pools are nice.
The views are great.
Much of the time the bow may be open for access.
They seem to get the best docking locations.

Most importantly they go to BOTH Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay:D

The other option would be the American Spirit out of Juneau.
Juneau, AK
Glacier Bay National Park, AK
Icy Strait Point, AK
Hoonah, AK
Haines, AK
Skagway, AK
Petersburg, AK
Tracy Arm (Twin Sawyer Glaciers), AK
Juneau, AK
But the 220 foot American Spirit would be a completely different experience.

[QUOTE=Suzy'Q;38627834]I just wanted to jump in here to support you. I understand the intent of your post and agree with you. This thread has been interesting to me because of all the posters who suggested the OP find a new travel agent for steering her away from Princess. And yet many have never tried certain lines (mainly Carnival or NCL) because their TA steered them away from them.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, much appreciated.

Mauilvrs (just got back and loved it:-) will definitely look into your suggestion. I will make sure to book Carnival or RCCL prior to HAL to get the innovative and party fix out of my system. After Carnival Dream in April, it will take another 2 years before my body is ready to book again, the reason I was considering Princess for our next cruise:D

Archived