TA doesn't want to book princess cruise

beamqueen

Thanks for some quick replies! We are not opposed at all to different age groups and many different people! She just made it sound like there was nothing to do on the ship and we would be completely bored. I have browsed many different threads and didn't get that feeling at all, but she seemed so insistent that we might not have the best time on a Princess cruise.

My initial thought was that she gets more commission from the other lines than from Princess.

Thanks everyone for some really good advice! My current TA is a family friend. She is very nice but I felt like I knew more than she did just from researching before we met with her. She also did not offer any OBC or anything...and from what I can tell we should be able to get something? My fiancé and I will be on our honeymoon so we are really looking to get some quality time together...almost everywhere I have read recommends Princess for Alaska, so I think I may need to just do it regardless!!

TAs have the option to discount and/or offer OBC and other perks. Some TAs choose not to and thus make a bigger profit and some TAs book so few Princess cruises that they don't get better pricing to start with or can't put together a group. Either way, you can do a lot better.

Princess is very laid back and the term "escape completely" is accurate. There are very few PA announcements (one in the morning, one with the Noon report, and sometimes an afternoon announcement) and none in the cabin unless it's information that the Captain feels all passengers need to be aware of, such as rough weather forecast, delayed arrival in port, a medical emergency necessitating a course change, etc.

I have to agree with the others who say you need a new TA! There is a very high probability she is getting a higher commission from NCL and RCL and does not enough about Princess.

We have sailed Princess for 13 years and our children cruised with us while in college - along with their college buddies, and they all had a fantastic time. They have also sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean but all of them prefer Princess. Last fall at our son's wedding, one of the guys asked if we could have a reunion cruise on Princess and get everyone together again.

There is as much or as little to do as you want. Not everyone needs, or cares for, the rock climbing walls, zip-lining, etc. Princess is a fantastic cruise line and we will continue to cruise with them - along with our kids and their friends and we will ALL have a great time!

Definitely book with Princess and enjoy your honeymoon and cruise!

I don't think your TA actually has been to Alaska. She is going off of generalities of the cruise lines, most likely in the Caribbean. That being sent, I cruised 4 lines in my 20's (Princess, RCL, Carnival and Celebrity) and I preferred Princess.

All cruise lines in Alaska have "an older clientele". Even Carnival and RCCL are quiet at night in Alaska. You won't find many demographic differences.

I find Alaska more active compared to the Caribbean. I am up early and doing stuff all day in Alaska and probably going to bed by 11. In the Caribbean, you sort of sleep in, do a beach day or go snorkeling and stay up late.

Stick to your guns. Go with the best itinerary which IMO includes Glacier Bay which RCCL doesn't go to.

We are in our late 30's and had a wonderful time on Princess cruise back in November. True, we were one of the youngest people on board, but we are not on a cruise to get drunk and be rowdy.

We also met alot of nice couple on board. I have only done 1 cruise on Princess, but wouldnt hesistate to book again.

Dh and I did Alaska on RCCL and loved it. There were many different age's on board.

I think any cruise will have different demographics depending on the time of year you book. :)

Dh and I took princess to Mexico a few times, same itinerary, all 7 days and one of them was mostly people with walkers and care takers. The difference was the week and month. The other times were clear across the board age wise with many young family's. If you go during school vacation time, you will see younger passengers. Both lines have plenty going on if you want to join in. :D

I don't see how you can lose by going either line but the additional ports do sound enticing to me. Hummmm, maybe I'll book Alaska on Princess next time.

You received good advice from your TA.

Based on what you described, I would book with Princess or Celebrity only if you did not like the itinerary or pricing for the Norwegian or Royal Caribbean options.

Fact is, you'll enjoy your cruise regardless of whichever cruise line you choose, but you'll enjoy it more on lines that cater to a younger demographic.

You've certainly asked an interesting question -- at 14:25, and have this many replies in this short span of time!

As for the question: go Princess -- you won't be disappointed. Lots of things to participate in on the ship, good food, good company, and others posters are correct, in that Princess ships get to different points/accesses in Alaska, than other cruise lines do.

The destination along with time of year has a bunch to do with how your cruise goes. A previous poster indicated that it's not the Caribbean, so it won't be Caribbean "atmosphere". It still will be a memorable cruise, Alaska on Princess.

As for the "age" thing, we've seen a wide diversity of ages in people on Princess ships. Tried Celebrity, it was good, but it wasn't the same somehow (here come the "boo's" from the Celebrity crowd). First cruise was on RCL, it was OK, I'd place it higher for "fun" value than Celebrity, but Princess still wins. As for Carnival, .... we won't be doing any Carnival ships. As someone else said, if you're into seeing excess "Spring Break" action, yeah, then try Carnival. There's also a few other factors against Carnival, in my books.

Admittedly, we haven't yet done the Alaska cruise, but Princess is the way we'll get there. Book yourself a balcony, and sit back and be amazed. Anyway, you're on your honeymoon anyway. Nobody keeps count of the number of times you actually set foot outside of your stateroom!! ;)

I was a travel agent and I could understand where your agent is coming from but at the same time she needs to understand that not everyone is the same. Also, travel agents are not just for getting the best deal they are supposed to mach clients with the right line -- but not insist on it!!!. I would always inform people that such and such a line caters to whatever crowd so that I covered my own ***. Honestly, a travel agent needs to be upfront with their clients and inform them of what each line's on board culture is so the traveler is not misinformed. Because having worked with the traveling public for 10 years if you don't tell them this they will come back or blame you! I have had that happen to me so I can understand what her agent is trying to do but at the same time she should not be insistent. Sadly though some agents also like to sell one line because they may earn more perks or commission for themselves. But not all agents do that, some are salaried and are not paid a commission (I was a salaried agent).

I have been lucky enough to have sailed on 32 cruises which basically covered all the major lines. In my opinion the NEW Royal Caribbean and Norwegian ships are hipper and edgier than Princess. If you are looking for greater entertainment, recreational activities, and dining you will find a greater choice on the new ships of Royal and Norwegian. For example Royal and Norwegian are offering brand name entertainment (Grease, Hairspray, Rock of Ages, Second City, Blue Man Group) and expanded dining. Holland, and Princess from my experience offers a more traditional cruise experience. Now I am 32 and my partner is 34. I like trendy things but at the same time I like a traditional cruise too. I sailed Royal's Allure of the Seas last summer and this Feb. I cruised the Mexican Rivera with Princess. While the Allure was an unbelievable ship I actually enjoyed the Princess cruise in February a bit better. While the Allure had much better entertainment and dining options Princess offered a bit more of a low key atmosphere which is what I am looking for. But there was still entertainment on the Princess ship! It just wasn't to the level Royal had - such as the ice rink and outdoor boardwalk with the diving show found on the Allure. But keep in mind the new Royal and NCL ships that offer a bit more are not even sailing in Alaska. The ships that NCL and Royal have in Alaska are pretty much comparable with what Princess is offering.

It really all depends on what type of personality you both are. Even at 25 I was not into any "scene" so for me I like an "older" more low key crowd, dare I say more educated crowd or well traveled crowd (not saying RCI and NCL attracts undereducated people I have sailed both lines extensively). I like conversations with people and relaxing.

I think you will enjoy your Princess cruise, besides Princess has always been known to have a good Alaska program. I sailed Princess on the 10 night Alaska sailing from San Francisco on the Sea Princess 2 years ago and enjoyed it.

I was a travel agent and I could understand where your agent is coming from but at the same time she needs to understand that not everyone is the same. Also, travel agents are not just for getting the best deal they are supposed to mach clients with the right line. Sadly though some agents also like to sell one line because they may earn more perks or commission for themselves. But not all agents do that, some are salaried and are not paid a commission (I was a salaried agent).

I have been lucky enough to have sailed on 32 cruises which basically covered all the major lines. In my opinion the NEW Royal Caribbean and Norwegian ships are hipper and edgier than Princess. If you are looking for greater entertainment, recreational activities, and dining you will find a greater choice on the new ships of Royal and Norwegian. For example Royal and Norwegian are offering brand name entertainment (Grease, Hairspray, Rock of Ages, Second City, Blue Man Group) and expanded dining. Holland, and Princess from my experience offers a more traditional cruise experience. Now I am 32 and my partner is 34..

Last time I checked, the "hipper RCCL ships" were not sailing to Alaska.... Next year it is the Radiance and the Rhapsody.

I still think the TA is thinking RCCL in the Caribbean and applying it to Alaska. Having sailed the Radiance to Alaska, the demographics onboard were no different than Princess. The Radiance is very similar to Coral and Island Princess, except Coral and Island Princess have better itineraries.

Anyone who says there is nothing to do on Princess hasn't been on a Princess cruise. And after having done both Princess and Royal Caribbean, I can say there is NOT "more to do" on RC. They both can keep you extremely busy, if that's what you want. If you want to just "kick back", that's fine, too. On both. But Princess does have superior food and service to RC, in our experience. Caveat: we haven't done the superships. That might be a completely different experience.

More depends on what ship and what itinerary. As for Alaska, Princess has the best, according to those who have done various lines. We've done it twice on Princess - awesome!!

Thanks for some quick replies! We are not opposed at all to different age groups and many different people! She just made it sound like there was nothing to do on the ship and we would be completely bored. I have browsed many different threads and didn't get that feeling at all, but she seemed so insistent that we might not have the best time on a Princess cruise.

It is what you make it:)! you're smart to pay attention to the activities on each cruise line. Alaska cruises are wonderful. So much beautiful scenery, and the photo ops are amazing. When you are in a different port almost everyday, your entertainment is endless. Princess works very well for us, and though we are not kids anymore, our kids (in their 30's) are jealous as heck. This is one of our favorite trips. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a mom.. Have a great trip

Last time I checked, the "hipper RCCL ships" were not sailing to Alaska.... Next year it is the Radiance and the Rhapsody.

I still think the TA is thinking RCCL in the Caribbean and applying it to Alaska. Having sailed the Radiance to Alaska, the demographics onboard were no different than Princess. The Radiance is very similar to Coral and Island Princess, except Coral and Island Princess have better itineraries.

Exactly, In my post, I stated that the NCL and Royal ships sailing Alaska do not offer the "hipper and edgier" attributes of the newer Royal and NCL ships. I stated that the NCL and Royal ships sailing Alaska are comparable to the Princess Alaska fleet.

This is what I wrote:

But keep in mind the new Royal and NCL ships that offer a bit more are not even sailing in Alaska. The ships that NCL and Royal have in Alaska are pretty much comparable with what Princess is offering.

I agree with you too the agent probably has limited cruise experience and is applying what is found on Royal's new Caribbean fleet with Alaska.

Exactly, In my post, I stated that the NCL and Royal ships sailing Alaska do not offer the "hipper and edgier" attributes of the newer Royal and NCL ships. I stated that the NCL and Royal ships sailing Alaska are comparable to the Princess Alaska fleet.

This is what I wrote:

But keep in mind the new Royal and NCL ships that offer a bit more are not even sailing in Alaska. The ships that NCL and Royal have in Alaska are pretty much comparable with what Princess is offering.

I agree with you too the agent probably has limited cruise experience and is applying what is found on Royal's new Caribbean fleet with Alaska.

You are right - I missed that, sorry!

Or ... of you like doing your own research ... just book it with Princess. It does have the advantage that you have direct access to your booking and don't have to call the TA to call Princess who then will tell the TA what to call and tell you... so you can decide and have the TA call Princess and tell them what you decided. Geeeezzz :eek: No wonder why we like having access to our own booking. After writing that ... I'd have to say book it with Princess ;)

Which is how we wound up on HAL. It was the only cruise that Left from Canada Place AND went to Glacier Bay AND went to Tracy Arm

Actually, our last four cruises I have booked directly through Princess. Hubby and I will check out the deck plans and narrow down what's available vs what kind of cabins and where we want. And I'm willing to talk with Princess and try to find any problems ahead of time and call them again. But for those who are new to cruising or don't want to fight the battles, they might be better off with a good TA. Which brings us to:

The first time I cruised Princess the TA tried to talk me out of it. She kept telling me I would be happier on a different cruise line. I asked her if she cruised on the other cruise line and she said "Yes, all the time". Have you ever cruised on Princess "No, but I've heard a lot of things". Maybe the TA's judgement on which line to use is based on what they have cruised on and they have never been on Princess.

I was wondering if this is the case with the OP's TA. What is she basing her assertions on?

My question is-- are there many younger couples who have enjoyed Princess cruises? We are going to be 24 and 25 at the time of our cruise. Based on my research I had thought Princess would be a wonderful choice...but she had me wondering a bit.Any input would be wonderful!

My husband and I, both 31 at the time, did an Alaskan cruise with Princess last year - it was his first time on Princess (we typically cruise with Carnival and Royal Caribbean). Although we enjoyed ourselves, we didn't expect to book with Princess again any time soon. That being said, we've decided to going with them this summer in the Mediterranean and cross our fingers that our disappointments were anomalies.

We did NOT find it to be an older clientele. Yes, we saw more walkers and wheelchairs than usual, but the ship was still full of younger couples. Possibly fewer families than we've seen in the past. We thought this might actually relate to the destination more than the Line.

What we did notice, is Princess seems to focus more on relaxation than fun. We love games and activities and there were certainly far fewer of them than we've seen on the other lines. There are some lectures, which I thought were a great option and would easily have fit the bill, but frankly, most held more promise than they delivered, with our "Naturalist". We also found the music rather old. Thank goodness for Zumba! It felt to us like Princess was catering to an older crowd, that maybe they had in the past, but no longer represented the breakdown of demographics on board.

That being said, we did enjoy it. If you are going to relax on the ship and enjoy what Alaska has to offer, I think Princess is a great bet. If you want a more lively atmosphere in between full outdoor days in port, you may want to consider another Line.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck deciding!

Jo-Ann

Princess was the first cruise line in Alaska (since the early 70's) and they do have preferential access to Glacier Bay and great excursions. Since these trips are very port intensive, I would think you would prefer a relaxing atmosphere when you're back on board after a busy day. I took my niece on her first cruise to Alaska on the old Regal Princess a number of years ago. She was single, in her 20's, and had a great time. She still talks about it. And the original Regal didn't have half the amenities that the newer Princess ships have.

I think Princess would be your best value for an Alaska cruise. They have a great product, especially their Alaska trips. I would seriously consider talking to other TA's. Good luck. You're certainly doing a good thing by getting info from experienced cruisers.

I have to admit, I keep seeing people talk about how Alaska skews to an older age range, but that hasn't been my experience. I've found that it's a much wider range of ages than I normally see on a Princess ship. I'd probably say it's one of the few Princess cruises that I haven't felt like I was on the younger side of age range (and I'm starting to push 40). Our second Alaska trip especially I felt had a lot more younger people than I was used to, and I'm guessing a lot of that was down to it being a RT Seattle trip (even though it did hit Glacier Bay). At 105 days, my wife and I were in the most traveled group, something I never expected to happen (although we were probably 20 years younger than the next oldest person in that group).

I'd do Princess again in Alaska without any second thoughts. That said, while I haven't been in the HAL train cars, I will say that from the outside they look far more comfortable than I found the Princess rail cars for the land tour, so if you plan on doing a land tour, that's something I'd factor in.

My husband and I, both 31 at the time, did an Alaskan cruise with Princess last year - it was his first time on Princess (we typically cruise with Carnival and Royal Caribbean). Although we enjoyed ourselves, we didn't expect to book with Princess again any time soon. That being said, we've decided to going with them this summer in the Mediterranean and cross our fingers that our disappointments were anomalies.

We did NOT find it to be an older clientele. Yes, we saw more walkers and wheelchairs than usual, but the ship was still full of younger couples. Possibly fewer families than we've seen in the past. We thought this might actually relate to the destination more than the Line.

What we did notice, is Princess seems to focus more on relaxation than fun. We love games and activities and there were certainly far fewer of them than we've seen on the other lines. There are some lectures, which I thought were a great option and would easily have fit the bill, but frankly, most held more promise than they delivered, with our "Naturalist". We also found the music rather old. Thank goodness for Zumba! It felt to us like Princess was catering to an older crowd, that maybe they had in the past, but no longer represented the breakdown of demographics on board.

That being said, we did enjoy it. If you are going to relax on the ship and enjoy what Alaska has to offer, I think Princess is a great bet. If you want a more lively atmosphere in between full outdoor days in port, you may want to consider another Line.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck deciding!

Jo-Ann

I completely agree with billy101. We went on our first cruise in 2006 when I was in my mid-30's on RCCL to the Caribbean. LOVED it! Since we have been on 3 Princess cruises to the Caribbean and are going soon on Princess to Alaska bringing our teenagers this time. Personally, I "prefer" RCCL.

So you're wondering why I've been on soon to be 4 Princess cruises and only one RCCL if I prefer RCCL?? Completely because of itinerary. Fell in love with 10 day Caribbean cruises out of FL which RCCL doesn't offer, and as someone else mentioned, Princess has more "rights" in Alaska which is why we chose their itinerary for AK.

What do I prefer on RCCL? First of all...if you have an inside room, you have MORE room! You get a sofa and coffee table in your room and not just a desk chair and a useless tiny table that you do nothing but trip over all week as you do in the Princess inside rooms. We usually end up putting it in our closet to give us more room! The Princess balcony rooms give you more room, but so does RCCL. Yes, the closet on PC is MUCH larger, but I'd rather have the sitting/relaxing area instead. As billy101 said, there is a mix of people on both lines...didn't really notice more older or younger people on either and there really weren't many kids on either. Honestly, I "notice" the kids more on PC than on RCCL. Hardly ever saw one kid on RCCL even though we had over 300 onboard with us. I think this is because RCCL must have a really great kids program that keeps them busy in their own space.

There were definitely more fun games and activities on RCCL which I miss on PC. BUT there is still plenty to do, just more relaxed things...like a movie by the pool instead of the "Mr. sexy legs" or "belly flop" contest. I also liked the layout of the ship better on RCCL. You can get from one end of the ship to the other on I believe every deck and on PC you cannot which can be a pain at times. RCCL also offers a walking track on top of the ship around nearly the entire perimeter of the ship which is really nice. PC only has a small walking track that you must go around MANY times to get any sort of exercise.

With all that being said, I obviously still love my Princess cruises or I would not continue to go on them! They're fabulous! But if they & RCCL had the exact same itinerary and the same price, I'd choose RCCL for a little more relaxation space in my room and a little more games and activities on board.

And last but not least...NO TOWEL ANIMALS ON PC! :mad:

Hope this helps! Princess is not a senior home! :eek:

My wife and I started sailing on Princess in our late 20's and have always loved it. The passengers to tend to be a little older on average than those on Royal or some of the others. Alaska also tends to attract a little older crowd for what ever reason but again, we did Alaska on Princess and had no complaints about the age of our fellow passengers.

Here is what I will say though. Princess ships are not "alive" with activity all the time. There are no late night parties or crazy antics at the pool. The reason WE like Princess is because we like our vacations to be relaxing and low key. We don't want kids running all over the place, teenagers ruining our experience at the pool or frat parties in the common spaces. We don't go on cruises to get drunk or party in a club... we go to Vegas for that:) So that is why WE like Princess, even in our 20's.

If you want rock walls, water slides, wave pools, belly-flop contests and active dance clubs until 2am, then your TA is right. But I would hesitate to make a judgment based on the age of passengers. Make your call on what you want to get out of your on board experience.

When we are on vacation, we prefer the older passengers and laid back experience of Princess to the herds of kids and pre-adult that some of the other lines attract.

Nothing wrong with the other lines, just not what WE want from our experience. You have to decide what YOU want from yours.

I agree with the others that you need a new TA. She should know that Princess and HAL have the best infrastructure in Alaska as they've cruised there the longest and have the permits to sail into Glacier Bay, which Celebrity and RCCL don't. Glacier Bay is one of the "must do's." In other words, if you want to see Alaska, book on a cruise line that goes to Glacier Bay and has the best Alaskan experience.

If you do book Princess with your TA, make sure she gives you a nice discount in addition to OBC and other perks. You can save 10-20% with a TA that books a high volume of Princess cruises, and get OBC. If your TA won't give you a discount and OBC, you absolutely, positively need a new TA.

I had this discussion with an agent at our AAA a few years ago. 1st sailed to Alaska back in 1980 when your only choice was Sitmar, Princess and HAL.

Wanted a Glacier Bay cruise, said we were a family of 4. Agent said of course you have to sail RCL. I said no I need to go to Glacier Bay and RCL doesn't. Because I have kids I need to sail on RCL, and I am sure if I had asked about one for just my husband and I she would have insisted on Celebrity.

But then again, this is the agency I went to see to book my 1st Disney trip. They really were pushing Universal(perhaps since they were already an Earmarked agency they were working on getting Universal creds). Needless to say I went home found a really great deal for a 2br villa at Disney's Saratoga Springs on Expedia.

Needless to say I haven't booked anything with them. It's sad that I usually walk in with more knowledge about any sort of trip I want to take than the TA.

I really miss my old TA who retired, she knew my tastes and given time to research all came up with the "right" stuff.

Princess was the first cruise line in Alaska (since the early 70's)

Over on the HAL boards, they say the Westours (now part of HAL)

was the first cruiseline in Alaska.

This is the beauty of Cruise Critic -- the 'right' answer depends on

which forum you ask in.

If you want to like royal carribbean for alaska, ask on the royal carribbean forums; if you want to like princess, ask on the princess forums.

Over on the HAL boards, they say the Westours (now part of HAL)

was the first cruiseline in Alaska.

This is the beauty of Cruise Critic -- the 'right' answer depends on

which forum you ask in.

If you want to like royal carribbean for alaska, ask on the royal carribbean forums; if you want to like princess, ask on the princess forums.

I know that Princess was the first cruise line in Alaska because my parents sailed with them to Alaska in 1975. They were avid HAL cruisers at the point but HAL wasn't up their yet and their TA recommended Princess. That's how they got hooked on Princess.

Archived