TA doesn't want to book princess cruise

beamqueen

I have to admit, I keep seeing people talk about how Alaska skews to an older age range, but that hasn't been my experience. I've found that it's a much wider range of ages than I normally see on a Princess ship. I'd probably say it's one of the few Princess cruises that I haven't felt like I was on the younger side of age range (and I'm starting to push 40). Our second Alaska trip especially I felt had a lot more younger people than I was used to, and I'm guessing a lot of that was down to it being a RT Seattle trip (even though it did hit Glacier Bay). At 105 days, my wife and I were in the most traveled group, something I never expected to happen (although we were probably 20 years younger than the next oldest person in that group).

I think you're right. Alaska used to be a very old passenger group. It has definitely evolved into an active destination cruise and the demographic have really broaden as many families go now. It's also become way more casual. I think it's actually more casual onboard in Alaska now than the Caribbean. It used to be the opposite.

Hi, I have been a part of this forum for a few months but definitely lack in the area of posting. I read threads every day but i'm a slacker apparently. As far as cruising Princess goes, I love it. I am currently 27 and planning my 6th cruise on the new Royal Princess this December. I'll be finishing my masters in November and taking my wife(her first cruise) so it should be a fun trip to end the year. Ad far as age goes I started cruising when I graduated high school. My parents took me on a cruise to Alaska and I was 18, I must say that I love Princess and have only ever wanted to sail Princess. I can be extremely independent and just sit, relax and soak in the sun or I can be wild and go to the night club, game shows, bingo, pool parties, evening comedy shows, etc., I believe it all depends on your personality. I can get along with just about any one group of people and still have a good time. I have had so many interesting conversations with some of the older crowd that I have met, I still even talk to some from years ago. I think your TA must have something against Princess. The food and service have always been top notch for me, as well as the entertainment; I have never found myself bored on the ship. From the sport courts, to the gym, the pools, sanctuary, and the MUTS; it's always a good time. Alaska is absolutely beautiful! I hope you enjoy. Can't go wrong with Princess.

If you want to like royal carribbean for alaska, ask on the royal carribbean forums; if you want to like princess, ask on the princess forums.
That may be true but chances are that Royal Caribbean cruisers don't know what they're missing since they can't sail to Glacier Bay. Kind of like going to NYC and not seeing the Empire State Building.

Sorry for going way off topic here OP.

I know that Princess was the first cruise line in Alaska because my parents sailed with them to Alaska in 1975. They were avid HAL cruisers at the point but HAL wasn't up their yet and their TA recommended Princess. That's how they got hooked on Princess.

Over on the HAL boards, they say the Westours (now part of HAL)

was the first cruiseline in Alaska.

This is the beauty of Cruise Critic -- the 'right' answer depends on

which forum you ask in.

If you want to like royal carribbean for alaska, ask on the royal carribbean forums; if you want to like princess, ask on the princess forums.

Not sure who was first to cruise Alaska, HAL or Princess, but Alaska Steamship Company began cruising to Alaska in 1895.

See

for a neat video covering their cruises to Alaska.

Canadian Pacific also cruised to Alaska way before Princess Cruise Line existed - here's an newspaper mention of a 1951 voyage:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19510401&id=MGcxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SAAEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1557,729076

It's interesting to note that founder of Princess (Stanley McDonald) chartered a Canadian Pacific vessel in 1964. Because the Canadian Pacific ship was named Princess Patricia, he chose Princess as the name for his new cruise line.

McDonald later leased two Italian ships which included their Italian crews. This started the tradition where many of the officers on Princess are from Italy.

I have to agree with the other posters about your TA. If you would like to read a live blog right now from a couple that cruise all the time and are in Alaska on the Diamond Princess here is her blog: vickieandbernietravelblogspot.ca Then go to Vickies Adventures day-to-day and enjoy. She will answer any questions you have about what goes on during the day and evening. I believe this is her 3rd Alaskan cruise so you can also read her previous blogs. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Hello-So I have posted a few times on cruise critic about our upcoming Alaskan cruise in 2014. We have gone back and forth about which cruise line/itinerary to pick. In my head I had narrowed it down to a few cruises with Princess or Celebrity being strong possibilities.Today I met with our TA for the first time and when I mentioned a Princess cruise she told me that she would book it if we REALLY wanted it but said we would probably really dislike it. I inquired as to why and she told me that the clientele is all older and there are few activities on board. She told me that we were much more suited for Norwegian or Royal Caribbean because of our age.My question is-- are there many younger couples who have enjoyed Princess cruises? We are going to be 24 and 25 at the time of our cruise. Based on my research I had thought Princess would be a wonderful choice...but she had me wondering a bit.Any input would be wonderful!

Princess is more sedate. Are you more interested in high energy things like RCL has to offer or more sedate? You need to decide what you want out of your vacation.

My husband and I are in our late 20s and we went to Alaska on our honeymoon on Princess. We loved it but we aren't big time partiers. We certainly were the youngest couple doing some of the activities (like the Chef's Table and the UST) but we enjoyed the serenity and relaxation Princess provided. The only thing I didn't like was the time at trivia when the older gentleman in our team kept questioning my answers because I was much younger than him. But he had no idea he was on a team with a huge trivia nut with many years of competing behind her.

I have been on a Carnival cruise with my family and while the number of activities was fun, I felt like the only time I had those moments of relaxation was on the balcony reading.

Hello-So I have posted a few times on cruise critic about our upcoming Alaskan cruise in 2014. We have gone back and forth about which cruise line/itinerary to pick. In my head I had narrowed it down to a few cruises with Princess or Celebrity being strong possibilities.Today I met with our TA for the first time and when I mentioned a Princess cruise she told me that she would book it if we REALLY wanted it but said we would probably really dislike it. I inquired as to why and she told me that the clientele is all older and there are few activities on board. She told me that we were much more suited for Norwegian or Royal Caribbean because of our age.My question is-- are there many younger couples who have enjoyed Princess cruises? We are going to be 24 and 25 at the time of our cruise. Based on my research I had thought Princess would be a wonderful choice...but she had me wondering a bit.Any input would be wonderful!

I AGREE with your TA. I have done Princess twice and while both cruises were enjoyable because of my style it remains my least favorite line. Now, my TA advised me against Norwegian but recommend Princess based on what I told him I wanted. I have also sailed RCCL 8-10 times and Carnival 4 times. Will I sail Princess again, yes currently considering one of their sailings because of the itinerary . I also like to change things up and you won't have a bad time but maybe better if you LISTEN to your TA and choose a line best suited for me. There is always something that will give one line the edge over the other for each person. I love the activities on RCCL, the party atmosphere on Carnival and the sheer elegance of Princess. I do prefer RCCL but it's not on the list of my to-do sailings. A good TA is like a good beautician or baby sitter- PRICELESS

If you like to visit different dining venues every night and don't mind paying for them, you don't like dressing up formally at all, and enjoy a lot of nightlife, then your TA might be right. So much depends on your lifestyle.

If you expect really good service, food and an intimate atmosphere by a company that does AK excellently, then Princess is for you. Our sons are in their 20's and really like Princess, but they aren't party animals that stay out until 3am and come back to the cabin drunk either. ;)

But But But -- this is an Alaskan cruise, remember? And Princess offers Glacier Bay and Royal doesn't. End of story.

I went to Alaska on Princess but did not go to Glacier Bay. At the time pricing was a major factor which Princess offered. It all depends on what the interest is about. Some of us just want to take Alaska off the bucket list--check;).

OP- maybe we can help if share YOUR side of the discussion with your TA. It's kind of blind loyalty to a line for anyone to say get a new TA. I am always willing to try something different when the price or itinerary is right. If you wish to drop it like it's hot every night- Carnival; run jump, fly-RCCL; relax and chill-Princess. Stay in one place more than a few hours, land vacations. What are you seeking? Drunken fools book all lines but keep in mind Princess has a more generous take on wine policy. Not saying I drank more, I did, or saw more dunks, wasn't counting!

I did the Alaska itinerary at 30 for our honeymoon.

We really enjoyed our trip and picked it because of the itinerary. Glacier Bay was a big must do. We also did the land portion when got to Alaska for a few days and that was fantastic.

With any trip go with what you want to see and do. Since it was our honeymoon we weren't exactly wanting to hit the disco and such and it was a perfect honeymoon destination for a summer wedding. Ages did seem to be older then us but we got along great with everyone on the ship and enjoyed our time spent at dinner with all different age groups.

Some of us just want to take Alaska off the bucket list--check;).

Sorry, but that just makes no sense. You want to check Alaska off the bucket list, but you don't want to one of the biggest attraction IN Alaska?

Would you check off NY without seeing the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building?

Would you check off Hawaii without going to the beach?

Would you check off Paris without the Eifel Tower?

Would you check off Rome without the Colosseum?

I concede that I may be exaggerating for effect here, but it's a fair argument.

Bottom line, listen to their advise, but don't necessarily do what they tell you to. Do your own research and take the cruise that best fits what you want your vacation to be.

Is itinerary most important (Princess) ?

Is on board activities and night life more important (other lines) ?

Only you know what will make you happy on vacation and if your TA is too stubborn to help you with that.. get a new TA.

I didn't want to cruise. Period. I did it to make my wife happy. I absolutely LOVED it and went again and have booked our third cruise for next May. I would cruise more but I work for the state and, despite what people seem to think about state employees, I'm paid roughly half what the private sector pays. We went on Princess for our first cruise and were hooked.

Having said that, we are not in your age group. On both of the cruises we have taken so far, our son also booked a room. He was 37 on the first cruise and 38 on the second. He found a limited number of people on each cruise who were within his "target" age range. Did he enjoy himself? The answer is a resounding YES. Were there many people in his age group (or younger)? The answer is a resounding NO.

I would never try to discourage you from cruising Princess - especially since you are looking at Alaska as your destination. Alaska is about the glaciers and the ports. Having said that, you have to factor in the sea days. I LOVE sea days but I will wander the ship, sit and read, etc. Going to Alaska we had to bundle up a bit more to sit outside and read. Going to Hawaii it was much different.

Will you like Princess given your age group? Maybe. Probably. However, since people are all so very different, if you are looking for more of a young, party atmosphere, I would (reluctantly) suggest you look elsewhere.

WARNING: If you think Princess is too "old" or too "fuddy duddy" then avoid HAL at all costs. From all I have read (please note that I have only READ this) the clientele on HAL is even older and more sedate than the folks on Princess. We love Princess and would likely like HAL as well but I am 60 and my wife is 61. Neither of us is "slim" but we were both amazed at the sheer SIZE of many of the passengers on Princess. I don't know how it is on other lines as we are obviously cruise n00bs.

Bottom line: Try it out. Pick a line. I have friends who cruised once several years ago and absolutely hated it. The ship was overrun with young "adults" who were out of hand. You may like a party atmosphere or you may want a more sedate atmosphere. If you have the means to cruise more than this one time then TRY a cruise line. If it is too "old" or too "young" or too "whatever" then try another line. I would guess that there IS a line out there that will meet your needs. When you find what you want you will be blown away with the total cruise experience. I really believe there IS a line that will meet your needs and make you happy. If your first cruise doesn't quite do it for you then take that experience, come back HERE to Cruise Critic with your new found knowledge and insight, and ask for assistance given your newly defined guidelines.

I really hope you can discover, like I did, that cruising is absolutely WONDERFUL.

Sorry, but that just makes no sense. You want to check Alaska off the bucket list, but you don't want to one of the biggest attraction IN Alaska?

Would you check off NY without seeing the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building?

Would you check off Hawaii without going to the beach?

Would you check off Paris without the Eifel Tower?

Would you check off Rome without the Colosseum?

I concede that I may be exaggerating for effect here, but it's a fair argument.

Bottom line, listen to their advise, but don't necessarily do what they tell you to. Do your own research and take the cruise that best fits what you want your vacation to be.

Is itinerary most important (Princess) ?

Is on board activities and night life more important (other lines) ?

Only you know what will make you happy on vacation and if your TA is too stubborn to help you with that.. get a new TA.

I am NOT arguing a point but sharing my experience that now you declared make no sense. I dreamed of going to Alaska so when I got the deal I took it, sailing out of Seattle. My dream was to see Alaska (bucket list) and thanks the Princess that dream came true without Glacier Bay. Yes, been to NY without doing the things you mentioned but saw the Colosseum in Rome and Michelangelo's David in Florence. I hate sand and sun so just got back from Maui and Kauai with very little interest in beaches. What I missed youtube made up for. Look at how many things in our own backyard we neglect to see. YOU would be a bad travel agent for me:-)))))

Alaska was still magical without Glacier Bay, imagine that. Sorry you think what I did made no sense but i loved every moment of it. Got to love the internet!

We started cruising with Princess in our late 20's, took our kids while they were growing up, etc. We have always loved it. It's great for couples, ok for families. And for Alaska--probably the best of any cruise line because it's a major focus for Princess. RCI does have some older ships there, but it's an afterthought. HAL does Alaska well, but you truly are too young for them--I've seen their ships board and anyone who doesn't have a walker is a youngster.

If you want exciting nightlife, and really active onboard things (such as a climbing wall, ice skating, flow rider, etc) you will be disappointed. For that you should book RCI---and don't go to Alaska. Book RCI in the Caribbean. Alaska skews old and cold, which puts a damper on these things on any cruise line.

If you want serene beauty, decent food, and a nice romantic trip, book Princess, go to Alaska. Have a great cruise!

I am meeting with my TA on Monday-- but I think we have decided to go with the Golden Princess in June 2014. I feel like it is a good fit for us and thanks to all the wonderful advice I feel excited for a relaxing and romantic honeymoon...and going to see Glacier Bay!! Thanks for all the quick replies and awesome advice, you are all wonderful!

Good choice. We took the Golden last year and also saw Glacier Bay. It was awesome. I think some TA's have their own agenda (comissions) or prejudices towards certain lines. Don't let them steer you to something you don't want.

Good choice. We took the Golden last year and also saw Glacier Bay. It was awesome. I think some TA's have their own agenda (comissions) or prejudices towards certain lines. Don't let them steer you to something you don't want.

You also wonder if they have ever been to Alaska. Some don't know some itineraries are better than others and some lines don't have access to Glacier Bay. They are clueless on Alaska and think the same rule that applies to the Caribbean applies to Alaska. This couldn't be further from the truth.

I am meeting with my TA on Monday-- but I think we have decided to go with the Golden Princess in June 2014. I feel like it is a good fit for us and thanks to all the wonderful advice I feel excited for a relaxing and romantic honeymoon...and going to see Glacier Bay!! Thanks for all the quick replies and awesome advice, you are all wonderful!

This cruise or just about any being on your honeymoon should be fantastic. I went to Alaska, loved it and up until this thread never thought it was a lesser experience with Princess for not seeing Glacier Bay. Food is subjective but did not care for the food on Princess, too saucy and bland. The ship was gorgeous but see one Princess ship seen then all at the time, same design at the time I cruised. In time sail them all and find what works best for you.

So I have been on two cruises. One was 12 day Med cruise with Princess and the other was an 8 night Caribbean with RCL. The crowd was pretty old on our Princess cruise ESPECIALLY my age range (I was 22 at the time). I had a ton of fun though because I was with my family so I hung out with my siblings. There was definitely enough to do that I was never bored. I didn't really understand all that you could do on the ships so I definitely recommend checking out past patters and reading all of the tricks and secrets threads. The cruise with RCL I did not feel like was that different in terms of the amount of people out at the bars and the on board activities. I was expecting it to be a big difference and it was pretty small. I honestly think cruising would be a wonderful vacation for a young couple because it allows you to budget more easily and removes so much stress. Have fun and congratulations.

When you are fortunate enough to cruise many of the lines you will find the cruising experience is more alike than different. Last month I was torn between Carnival and Princess but chose Carnival because my teen was cruising. Next cruise Princess because of the date and itinerary. Some posters recommend against a line they haven't sailed in years, even decades. We all know how the the industry has changed over night. Princess gives you that same ole, same ole good, cruising experience but RCCL will blow you away with innovation and Carnival with fun. Could there be a bias on ALL sides, clearly. I book the line that sails the destination I want at the price I can afford.

Archived