Odds of little kids in the MDR....

darlacat

..thanks so much. We would have never chosen a vacation like this if we were anti-kid :-) Thanks to those of you who confirmed that we've increased our chances of avoiding noisy kids by taking the late seating and the responder who mentioned that the MDR is not exactly a quiet place was very helpful as well - I hadn't thought of that. With lots of other noise - I'm thinking that kid noise just becomes part of the din - in my head, I imagined the MDR to be a quiet, elegant, more adult setting. I did not imagine it to be populated with strollers etc. - I think I watched too much "Love Boat", lol.

Now if there is only a way to decrease my chances of being placed with boors who talk with their mouths full or make a lot of disgusting smacking noises and who blow their noses at the table - that would be good - but I'm thinking that this requirement could only be met by room service :-)

Thanks one and all for the feedback - very much appreciated.

Made our reservations on the Breeze and requested late seating ; however, didn't give much thought that this year our 1 1/2 yo grandson is sailing with us. We like late seating because we like to maximize our time on the ports of call and don't like to rush back to the ship. I am hoping they give us a table for 4 (me, wife, daughter, son in law) and a high chair for the baby.

..thanks so much. We would have never chosen a vacation like this if we were anti-kid :-) Thanks to those of you who confirmed that we've increased our chances of avoiding noisy kids by taking the late seating and the responder who mentioned that the MDR is not exactly a quiet place was very helpful as well - I hadn't thought of that. With lots of other noise - I'm thinking that kid noise just becomes part of the din - in my head, I imagined the MDR to be a quiet, elegant, more adult setting. I did not imagine it to be populated with strollers etc. - I think I watched too much "Love Boat", lol.

Now if there is only a way to decrease my chances of being placed with boors who talk with their mouths full or make a lot of disgusting smacking noises and who blow their noses at the table - that would be good - but I'm thinking that this requirement could only be met by room service :-)

OMG!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates it when people blow their nose at the table!!! I thought it was just me!

OMG!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates it when people blow their nose at the table!!! I thought it was just me!

Oh my God - remind me not to fart or burp in front of you - KIDDING. Seriously though folks, if your nose is running just a little can you not just give a little blow (very discretely mind you) not the fur ball clearing type. I truly have seen much worse behaviour and just turn a blind eye - wait until your kids are 17-18 and you wish you could have the old years back - believe it is not a killer

Oh my God - remind me not to fart or burp in front of you - KIDDING. Seriously though folks, if your nose is running just a little can you not just give a little blow (very discretely mind you) not the fur ball clearing type. I truly have seen much worse behaviour and just turn a blind eye - wait until your kids are 17-18 and you wish you could have the old years back - believe it is not a killer

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Unless you expect someone with a runny nose to get up and leave (and maybe the earlier poster does), the only alternatives are to snort, which I think is a lot more disgusting than nose-blowing, or simply let the mucus dribble down your face, which I don't think is anyone's first choice.

and the responder who mentioned that the MDR is not exactly a quiet place was very helpful as well - I hadn't thought of that. With lots of other noise - I'm thinking that kid noise just becomes part of the din - in my head, I imagined the MDR to be a quiet, elegant, more adult setting.

I second the suggestion of the above poster who recommended the steak house. I think you will find it is much more the setting you are looking for, and if this is something important to you, it may be worth the extra cost to go multiple times.

The atmosphere in the main dining room is somewhat frenetic, IMHO. And definitely not quiet or particularly elegant. And that has nothing to do with kids being there or not.

Also, even if you request a table for two, you could possibly end up sitting about a foot away from the people at the next "table for two" (the tables themselves are like three inches apart) - it is somewhat awkward to pretend like you are in your own space and can't hear the conversations on either side of you. You could also get lucky and get an actual table well separated from others - but it is not guaranteed.

.....for the first night. And I'll be okay with the MDR - with all its noise and crowds - it wasn't what I was picturing - but knowing what to expect is half the battle.

And nope, on the nose blowing - I pretty much perform all of my bodily functions away from the table where people are eating - so yes, if I badly had to blow my nose, I would excuse myself for a moment. If I had an on-going issue with a runny nose, I'd probably avoid other people altogether, as I wouldn't want anyone else to be exposed to whatever I had and risk ruining their vacation.

I think most people do this, don't they? I was kind of joking about the nose blowing, talking whilst mouth full etc.... but I've clearly hit a nerve

And nope, on the nose blowing - I pretty much perform all of my bodily functions away from the table where people are eating - so yes, if I badly had to blow my nose, I would excuse myself for a moment. If I had an on-going issue with a runny nose, I'd probably avoid other people altogether, as I wouldn't want anyone else to be exposed to whatever I had and risk ruining their vacation.

I think most people do this, don't they? I was kind of joking about the nose blowing, talking whilst mouth full etc.... but I've clearly hit a nerve

I agree with everything you've said.

It's particularly gross when the napkin is used as a tissue. :eek: Oh no you didn't! Ewww!

Now if there is only a way to decrease my chances of being placed with boors who talk with their mouths full or make a lot of disgusting smacking noises and who blow their noses at the table - that would be good - but I'm thinking that this requirement could only be met by room service.

There's a way to increase your chances, and that's by selecting Anytime Dining. Instead of having Carnival pick the table and having a set time, Anytime Dining allows you to go to dinner whenever you feel like and to select a table for 2. We always do ATD and love it!

will there be kids in the mdr during late seating ? Yes

your on carnival which promotes a family vactation.

I have always done Late seating, and we always go with others so in 11 or so crusies we have always had private tables.

Never had a bad expierence with unruly children or adults for the matter,

We tend to use dinning in the mrd as catch up time with our crusie mates.

To busy enjoying food and others company to tbe inpacted by other diners , their habits, dress or their conversations.

With LATE seating you won't find very many young children.

You made a good decision.

LuLu

~~~~

True, except if you are cruising in Europe. There you will often find children of all ages at late seating, especially if many of the passengers are European.

I was waiting for someone to answer the question posed by the thread title. The odds are almost 100% of having little kids in the MDR, even at late seating. Will there be many? Probably not. Are you likely to have your meal disturbed by little kids? Probably not. But there almost certainly will be little kids in the MDR.

Sorry it took so long for you to get what you thought was a satisfactory answer but just so ya know the post you quoted didn't answer the question. They asked a question. Questions can never ever be considered an answer. You know why? Because there questions. Your search for the answer continues I suppose.

It's Carnival. You would have to be very unlucky to be stuck sitting with the boors you describe, but it is NOT elegant.

You can absolutely get a more elegant experience in the Steak House. I recommend booking that for at least one evening.

Lol, our first cruise (late dining) the table next to us had 8 people every night and one of them was 2-3 years old by my guess. To entertain him they gave him both lids to the butter dishes and let him bang them together (picture the monkey banging symbols) until dinner arrived. I couldn't believe that they did that. It took all of my might not to say something to them. :rolleyes:

I would have said something and if they did not do anything, I would have asked for a different table. I love kids, but to me, that was a lazy way for the parents not to considerate of others.

We had someone comment on my sons behavior on the Lido deck one day at lunch. It totally ruined my whole trip. He has autism and had dropped his cupcake and started to cry. Mind you we were on the Lido deck at lunchtime with lots of other people. Some guy approched my son and said, "Some of us would like a quiet lunch" What an A**. I just started crying told him that my son has autism and ran back to our cabin. He is a very well behaved boy and was just upset about his cake. We ALWAYS take him out of a situation if he gets upset and would expect the same from others.

I feel so bad for you. I know if I made a comment(I would be a lot nicer if I made a comment, like to the kid banging the butter lids as mentioned before) and the parent told me about a medical condition, I would be so apologetic and feel bad. Sorry you had to go back to your cabin.

...first cruise is coming up fairly soon. We scheduled the late dinner seating, hoping that there will be fewer or no little kids there. Is this a good strategy? I love toddlers as much as the next person, (raised a couple myself), but would prefer to minimize the potential to hear screaming, crying, whining whilst trying to enjoy a nice dinner. I'm hoping that this is too late for most little kids - is it?

I have had all dining times over the years and there have always been some kids in both early and late. Though there are fewer in late. The only time that I have been annoyed by young children was at a wine tasting and unfortunately the couple wasn't asked to leave with their whining fussy kid.

Have you thought about doing the supper club each night? It's always kid free.

I don't want to open another topic of discussion, but on Carnival, the "supper clubs" are not kid-free. Children of all ages are permitted to have their dinner at the steak house, as has been discussed pro and con many times on these boards. We have had dinner a number of times at the steak house with our own teenagers, and there have been families there with much younger kids as well. So you too may run into families with young children during your meal at the steakhouse.

We had someone comment on my sons behavior on the Lido deck one day at lunch. It totally ruined my whole trip. He has autism and had dropped his cupcake and started to cry. Mind you we were on the Lido deck at lunchtime with lots of other people. Some guy approched my son and said, "Some of us would like a quiet lunch" What an A**. I just started crying told him that my son has autism and ran back to our cabin. He is a very well behaved boy and was just upset about his cake. We ALWAYS take him out of a situation if he gets upset and would expect the same from others.

I'm 64, and I'd still cry if I dropped my cupcake.

Next time, if someone makes a comment like that....respond with "if you want a quiet lunch...charter a private yacht".

Do ATD...so if they seat you near children, you can request another table.

True, except if you are cruising in Europe. There you will often find children of all ages at late seating, especially if many of the passengers are European.

They are going to the Western Caribbean on a Carnival Ship. ;)

LuLu

~~~~

We did late dining on a Princess cruise recently and their were toddlers at the tables on both sides of us. They were pretty well behaved so they didn't bother us. The only thing I saw was one of the tables let their toddler wander around a bit and I was afraid a server was going to trip over her. On Carnival I don't recall ever being bothered by young children at late seating.

Archived