If you could put one "chain" restaurant on a ship, what?

Canadians aren't the only ones who get to experience Tim Hortons. Have a bunch in Maine and building more. They got my vote, especially their coffee. Like their sandwiches also. Another vote for Olive Garden and Macaroni Grill. No Dead Lobster please. Couldn't compete locally with the fresh stuff here on the coast of Maine.

rfischel1,

My teenage son is a diehard Sox fan...just showed him the picture in your post and you're allright by him! As for chain food, Cheesecake Factory would be good, as would El Vaquero, a small chain based in Columbus, Ohio. Never have eaten at P F Chang's, but hear they have tasty Chinese food. They can lose Johnny Rockets... :p

I vote for none! Keep the ships individual. If I want to eat at a Cheesecake Factory or Carrabba's, I can do that at home. Why take a cruise and pay extra to eat there? This county has already become homogenized enough with all these chain restaurants and Walmarts ... PLEASE keep them off the cruise ships!

Ernie

What's with all of the steakhouse ideas? There already is one on the new ships. I guess they've never been to Chops. The last filet I had there I could cut with my fork. Can't say that about my last time at Ruth's.

And as far as none of these chains being better that RCI's food, I'd have to ask what decade you are living in. Perhaps it's the 80's, back when cruise food quality was at its peak. Now there are several quality chains that I would rate better than the food I've had on RCI, Carnival, or Princess. Chains have gotten better, and cruise food has gone from gourmet to banquet food. But that's a whole 'nother thread....

Your post really contradicts itself...Chops on board is better than Ruths....

Well...Yeah..Thats what I was saying....

And having many cruises starting in 82 till present.I see no real change in food.More mass produced...but still basically the same.

And believe me.I have been behind the scenes in more "quality chain" restaurants than you can name...They all serve largely frozen,prepacked products.With most of them in any given area,getting products from the same distributor.

Chains just give you more.More grease,cheese ,butter,all you can eat breads fried this and that...And huge servings.So you think you are getting a better meal.

And since you asked ...I live in the decade of all experiences past and present.:rolleyes:

I've always enjoyed Applebee's, but nothing they serve compares to RCI food. I just enjoy the atmosphere and the Hollywood memorabilia posted on their walls.

Another restaurant I thoroughly enjoy is Cheeseburger in Paradise. They serve over 200 drinks and it is very similar to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. I always feel like I'm on vacation when I dine there. Their burgers are paradise. Seriously.

Your post really contradicts itself...Chops on board is better than Ruths....

Well...Yeah..Thats what I was saying....

Maybe I should have clarified. Chops (along with Sabatini's on Princess) was one of the FEW times in the last several cruises that I felt was special. I guess that is why you pay extra for them. By that same token, I also believe that there are chains out there that are better than what you get in the main dining rooms.

And having many cruises starting in 82 till present.I see no real change in food.More mass produced...but still basically the same.

And believe me.I have been behind the scenes in more "quality chain" restaurants than you can name...They all serve largely frozen,prepacked products.With most of them in any given area,getting products from the same distributor.

I guess I'll believe your experience, if you say so. But you can say the same things re:frozen, prepacked products from the same distributors being used on cruise ships. I may have not been behind the scenes like you but I watch the Discovery channel. They don't exactly shop for their food at the local fresh foods co-op.

Chains just give you more.More grease,cheese ,butter,all you can eat breads fried this and that...And huge servings.So you think you are getting a better meal.

And ships don't do the same thing? "Does that ranch/royal steak taste like a tire, sir? Have another entree! In fact, have as many as you like! Can I get you another roll?"

And since you asked ...I live in the decade of all experiences past and present.:rolleyes:

Sorry, didn't mean that personally. :o I guess it all comes down to taste, which is very subjective (if that isn't a Cruise Critic cliche I don't know what is). Obviously there are a lot of people that think that there are chains out there that serve certain types of food that taste better than what you get on ships. Otherwise this thread wouldn't be this long. I guess as long as the ships keep getting bigger, there will be room for everyone's tastes.

P. F. Changs is good or a quick bite at Daphne's Greek Cafe if you're going for fast food.

Hey Bleacher - I wanted to ask about the song in your signature. I know the tune and the second verse. Were you part of the TMB?

What's TMB???? I just found the song on the web....

White Castle White Castle White Castle!!!!!!!111

What is needed is a chain with a good theme because the food will always reflect RCCL. By that I mean that I felt JR's burgers were the SAME as the Windjammer's but in a different venue that reflected something fun (the juke boxes, dancing wait staff, and 50's diner motif)

Many of the other recomendations are great regionally, but unknown otherwise and some go for a middle-of-the-road dining experience to account for homogenous taste. Most of us in the NY/NJ area think that Olive Garden and Pizza Hut are AMERICAN restaurants offering something other than what is real. (And if you think that's incredible come and visit and I'll take you to a REAL pizzeria!).

I agree with Cold Stone because Ben 'n Jerry's is a falling star in the ice cream world and RCCL would do well to get ahead of the curve with CS.

I love Chipotle, but we have a chain called CHEVY'S that offers good Mexican food in a well acclimated Mexican ambiance. Their offerings are simple, ingredients common and the experience is satisfying.

Bleacher Creature, it is obvious that you are familiar with White Castle... but I thought it was the burgers that repeated themselves.

White Castles... the gift that keeps on giving...:D

AND the coffee is pretty good, too!:)

If it weren't for this diet I'm on I'd go and buy a sack.

Bleacher Creature, it is obvious that you are familiar with White Castle... but I thought it was the burgers that repeated themselves.

White Castles... the gift that keeps on giving...:D

AND the coffee is pretty good, too!:)

If it weren't for this diet I'm on I'd go and buy a sack.

Here in Tampa, I'm going thru withdrawal. I need a sack.

Some of you guys are cracking me up. I don't think we need to get so hot under the collar and take offense to naming what chain restaurants we would like to see on a cruise ship. My goodness, we are just messing around. And anyway, it's not like anyone is saying that dining room should go, just that other options exist for those that want it. ;)

Now, for my choices. Living in CT, I would have to say that Olive Garden and Macaronni Grill are fake Italian. You have to go to a good locally owned Italian restaurant to get some good stuff. Straight from Momma's kitchen.

Cold Stone Creamery is awesome just because you can get creative and add what ever crazy concoction you want.

And if they have to have burgers, I would rather see Red Robin or Checkers. Much better the JR's.

Some of you guys are cracking me up. I don't think we need to get so hot under the collar and take offense to naming what chain restaurants we would like to see on a cruise ship. My goodness, we are just messing around. And anyway, it's not like anyone is saying that dining room should go, just that other options exist for those that want it. ;)

Now, for my choices. Living in CT, I would have to say that Olive Garden and Macaronni Grill are fake Italian. You have to go to a good locally owned Italian restaurant to get some good stuff. Straight from Momma's kitchen.

Cold Stone Creamery is awesome just because you can get creative and add what ever crazy concoction you want.

And if they have to have burgers, I would rather see Red Robin or Checkers. Much better the JR's.

I certainly don't take any of this to heart. After all, I consider this fooling around and killing time until it's time to cruise.

Beth

I certainly don't take any of this to heart. After all, I consider this fooling around and killing time until it's time to cruise.

Beth

If I said the words "Nina Alert" would you know what I mean :D

I guess I don't consider Emeril's and those type specialty or very limited restaurants to be "chains"

There are obviously many many fabulous restaurants...That do a great job,quality fresh product,imports etc.But the likes of Olive Garden etc...I would just as soon eat on the ship!Some places are fun,just for the atmosphere..but

not much in the way of quality cuisine.

Now for Italian..Don't even know if its there any longer.But Mamma Leone's in NYC.

i would have to vote for no chain restaurants...half the fun of going on a trip is eating at new/different restaurants :)

just my opinion...

I agree with Dihead and the other 5 or so (out of 148, wow).

:cool: Absolutely NO unlink.gifCHAINSunlink.gif for me on a cruise, thanks! :cool:

If I said the words "Nina Alert" would you know what I mean :D

I guess I don't consider Emeril's and those type specialty or very limited restaurants to be "chains"

There are obviously many many fabulous restaurants...That do a great job,quality fresh product,imports etc.But the likes of Olive Garden etc...I would just as soon eat on the ship!Some places are fun,just for the atmosphere..but

not much in the way of quality cuisine.

Now for Italian..Don't even know if its there any longer.But Mamma Leone's in NYC.

Yikes!!!! Time to duck for cover. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Beth

Archived