If you could put one "chain" restaurant on a ship, what?

I would suggest a Ryans Steak House or a Golden Coral. Since there are so many people cruising now who have a distain for dressing up this would give them a perfect outlet for the nasty formal nights. They could fly their favorite nascar numbers and colors. Of course caps would be permitted in these self serve locations. Just think of the possibilities, the cruise line would be moved to take on staff who fit the bill of the typical wait staff in these establishments. The "Flo" type who has a smart remark and is always trying to slip out the back for a smoke break. The steaks would be on the tuff side and kinda thin, well cooked and complete with a char-broil flavor. Not for me mind you, I love the formal nights...but for those who just can't toe the mark.

I would suggest a Ryans Steak House or a Golden Coral. Since there are so many people cruising now who have a distain for dressing up this would give them a perfect outlet for the nasty formal nights. They could fly their favorite nascar numbers and colors. Of course caps would be permitted in these self serve locations. Just think of the possibilities, the cruise line would be moved to take on staff who fit the bill of the typical wait staff in these establishments. The "Flo" type who has a smart remark and is always trying to slip out the back for a smoke break. The steaks would be on the tuff side and kinda thin, well cooked and complete with a char-broil flavor. Not for me mind you, I love the formal nights...but for those who just can't toe the mark.

I knew there was a good answer for those that dislike dressing up! I think it's a great idea. More room for those of us that think formal dining is an event to be savored.

Of course this is hypothetical, but say you were asked what one chain restaurant would you like to see aboard ship, what would you pick?

I would probably say Pei Wei. Love them lettuce wraps...yum!

Is Pei Wei the only restaurant that doesn't accept tips?

. Since there are so many people cruising now who have a distain for dressing up this would give them a perfect outlet for the nasty formal nights.

There is an outlet for those that distain formal night...its called "the buffet".

:rolleyes: ;)

Is Pei Wei the only restaurant that doesn't accept tips?

BB, don't take offense to this, but no self-respecting southern boy would be caught dead eating a rabbit-food wrap..................

Bring on the real stuff!

Stretch

I would also vote for P.F. Changs ( their lettuce wraps are awesome), and for some good pizza, Papa Gino's . I also love The Cheesecake Factory, but they would have to scale down their menu. It is just toooo huge. BTW, they have really good lettuce wraps, too. I love lettuce wraps--can you tell???!!! Maybe just the cheesecake!!!!

On a side note--it is interesting to hear all the names of the chains in different parts of the country. Some I have never heard of, but good info in case I ever get to that "neck of the woods"!!!!

P.S. To Stretch-- you put MEAT in the lettuce and they have really MANLY hot stuff to dip them in or slather on. I think you'd like 'em !!!!

I'm very glad to read I'm not the only one with a disdain for Olive Garden. We've only eaten in them 3 times (all different locations) and have never had a decent meal there. The last time we had a gift certificate, so we didn't have to pay much, thank goodness.

I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, I really like mom and pop places with special dishes. Out of all mentioned here, probably PF Changs has been the best. We have our favorite places all over town and some of them crack us up, we love the burgers at Denny's if you can believe that! We have a little pannini (sp) we frequent, a Chinese place, Rubios is always good for fish tacos, Round Table Pizza for their gourmet veggie pizza. Our favorite place to meet up for dinner is actual the local Nordstrom Cafe, awesome tomato soup, great salads, tasty pasta dishes, all at a very reasonable price. The only chain Italian restaurant we like is Buca de Beppo, a bit pricey, but they do have some nice specials.

I don't think there should be chains. Eating all the different meals is part of the experience. Besides, who would want one of those fake italian restuarants on the ship?? If you think Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill is good, you need to try a real Italian restuarant!!

Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, etc....a real Italian wouldn't be caught dead in one of those restaurants!!:eek:

Capital Grille! Perhaps if we had a Ruth Chris closer, it might be in the running, but honestly, I don't think it is EVEN close--from the times we've tried it. Any good steak house has good steaks, I love the appetizers, salads and desserts...yummmm!

Grand Lux Cafe

It is owned by the Cheesecake Factory but is more upscale. Their menu is pretty diverse - Thai, Mexican, American, European, etc. Portions are huge so they would need to cut down on the volume. Desserts are heavenly (the Creme Brulee Duo - one vanilla and one chocolate :p). I wouldn't classify this as a chain since there are only 5 in the whole country - 1 of which happens to be in my favorite mall in Dallas. Shopping and great food is a powerful combination - kind of like being on a cruise. The prototype is in The Venetian in Las Vegas.

They also have a great bakery.

Any great tex-mex place, Mecardo Juarez, Don Pablos, or On The Border!!!!!!!!!!!

On the Border by Six Flags is the best,ever.

Whats the place in DT FW (stockyards)...Suppossedly where the margarita was born...Only used to serve Fajitas?? yumm..

I don' t get it...I know we all have our favs...But come on..None of these places are any better than the Food on RCI...more variety granted...More "comfort" food... But I am fine the way it is...

Well unless someone will come up with AYCE Seafood buffet that rivals Sartins

Beaumont?Pt Arthur Texas area :)

What's with all of the steakhouse ideas? There already is one on the new ships. I guess they've never been to Chops. The last filet I had there I could cut with my fork. Can't say that about my last time at Ruth's.

And as far as none of these chains being better that RCI's food, I'd have to ask what decade you are living in. Perhaps it's the 80's, back when cruise food quality was at its peak. Now there are several quality chains that I would rate better than the food I've had on RCI, Carnival, or Princess. Chains have gotten better, and cruise food has gone from gourmet to banquet food. But that's a whole 'nother thread....

Archived