Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Good points. It's really hard to say. One thing seems certain to me, and that is likely this is an afterthought. If there is one criticism of QUANTUM already, it's limited connection to the sea. The outdoor promenade deck is gone and the upper decks are mostly filled with attractions. Lines like NCL and Carnival have fantastic outdoor promenade decks with restaurants, hot tubs, bars, loungers, etc. lining them all with a great connection to the sea. Cruise lines are finally realizing that people want to see, smell, and hear the ocean when they take a cruise, and ships designs are starting to reflect this. The Quantum & Oasis Class do not reflect this trend, and generally they are considered inward facing ships. Perhaps these little "verandahs" so to speak on QUANTUM are a small attempt to incorporate some connection to the sea into the existing design?

Totally agree. DH is asking, where's the open deck space on this ship?

I know I might start a discussion on this one, but I remember back when the first rumors came out regarding "Project Sunshine" that it was thought that the ship design was going to be different to allow for cold weather sailing. Currently when the Explorer of the Seas has been sailing out of Bayonne, people were not happy because they lost at least full day in the winter going south and the same coming north. There were also times that the open deck spaces needed to be shoveled clear of snow.

"Project Sunshine" was being talked about as a design to allow those leaving from "cold" ports to have the ability to enjoy the ship for almost the entire trip. From what I am seeing in the Quantum class, this is just that concept. There is less open deck space to see the ocean such as a promenade deck, etc. but you do get the ability to have enclosed pools from sailaway to return and also other areas that are enclosed that used to be open such as SportsPlex.

As for the loss of space for the lifeboats, maybe they could have had a "safety deck" where you had the lifeboats and other non-outside services and still have a promenade deck, but I think that would have lost an entire deck of cabins or it may have made the ship too high to get under the bridge and would have prevented it from coming to NJ.

I love the ocean view as much as anyone and I thoroughly enjoy my sea days. If I really want it to find a spot to view the passing ocean, I will find it. I can get it from my balcony, the pool deck and many other locations (possibly the spaces outside the solarium over the bridge wings). My favorite spot on a ship is the bow but I guess I will have to wait until I board Quantum to see if I can get there since we are still not sure.

I do know one thing. If my wife can be in the solarium pool as we sail under the bridge at the start of our cruise, she will be one very happy person.:D

I know one thing, if my wife can be in the solarium pool as we sail under the bridge, she will be one very happy person. :D

"Project Sunshine" was being talked about as a design to allow those leaving from "cold" ports to have the ability to enjoy the ship for almost the entire trip. From what I am seeing in the Quantum class, this is just that concept. There is less open deck space to see the ocean such as a promenade deck, etc. but you do get the ability to have enclosed pools from sailaway to return and also other areas that are enclosed that used to be open such as SportsPlex.

That's a good point... We might actually be getting exactly what we expected all along. These are not ships designed to sail year round in the Caribbean in nice weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

I know I might start a discussion on this one, but I remember back when the first rumors came out regarding "Project Sunshine" that it was thought that the ship design was going to be different to allow for cold weather sailing. Currently when the Explorer of the Seas has been sailing out of Bayonne, people were not happy because they lost at least full day in the winter going south and the same coming north. There were also times that the open deck spaces needed to be shoveled clear of snow.

As for the loss of space for the lifeboats, maybe they could have had a "safety deck" where you had the lifeboats and other non-outside services and still have a promenade deck, but I think that would have lost an entire deck of cabins or it may have made the ship too high to get under the bridge and would have prevented it from coming to NJ.

I love the ocean view as much as anyone and I thoroughly enjoy my sea days. If I really want it to find a spot to view the passing ocean, I will find it. I can get it from my balcony, the pool deck and many other locations (possibly the spaces outside the solarium over the bridge wings). My favorite spot on a ship is the bow but I guess I will have to wait until I board Quantum to see if I can get there since we are still not sure.

I do know one thing. If my wife can be in the solarium pool as we sail under the bridge at the start of our cruise, she will be one very happy person.:D

I know one thing, if my wife can be in the solarium pool as we sail under the bridge, she will be one very happy person. :D

Good post. Looking forward to my cruise on her in Nov.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Obviously my wife will be very very happy if I posted it twice. Did not see that line as typing ... needed my morning coffee. :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

If I'm ever leaving Bayonne during a blizzard on a Quantum Class ship I will totally be in my bathing suit in a solarium pool just because LOL. That would be something else!

Just tweeted by RCI PR

Richard Fain showing David Pogue where the North Star will go. [emoji1]

1dbc71532a494df90eb9b7cbbf748bd7.jpg

"and if you close your eyes, you can just imagine..."

What a waste of time. They should have had the North Star in place for the media.

I wonder if the delay in schedule to move her out of the shed caused delays in getting things like North Star in place.

If that's true, I wonder if there will be delays in her inaugural cruises.:confused:

What a waste of time. They should have had the North Star in place for the media.

I wonder if the delay in schedule to move her out of the shed caused delays in getting things like North Star in place.

If that's true, I wonder if there will be delays in her inaugural cruises.:confused:

One would tend to guess that the ship will leave the yard on time and on schedule. The reasoning being is that if the ship is late because of the yard it will cost them money.

One would tend to guess that the ship will leave the yard on time and on schedule. The reasoning being is that if the ship is late because of the yard it will cost them money.

Yeah I'd be very surprised if they were late. I seem to recall MW having a good reputation for delivering on time, at least lately.

Or they could be installing the North Star while the media is there and if not installing it maybe "revealing it".

I do think though that they are still on schedule.

Thank you folks for posting these great pics. Who wouldn't want to challenge Fain to a bumper cars duel?

I have noticed, as others have already mentioned, that the RCI PR twitter handle has been especially busy tonight. Calling in CC and the Cruise Guy for tomorrow's announcement, I hope that there is something new, and not the same old stuff that folks here have already heard!