Tipping statistics

Really!? What was the complaint about it. At least you know who is getting what percentage (and the staff know if anyone has stiffed them ;) )

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Most upmarket Cruise lines have NO tipping.

Only because it is already included in the price and they call it a service charge. This way you still pay tips and you can't adjust them as you want to or remove to pay in cash. So regardless of what line you sail you are paying tips. It's just each line handles it a little differently.

Agreed...People can afford to cruise but don't want to tip? Something is very wrong with that.

That is your opinion.

i have not seen many people on this thread not wanting to tip, most that have complained about being told to tip and how much that tip is.

That is your opinion.

i have not seen many people on this thread not wanting to tip, most that have complained about being told to tip and how much that tip is.

Get used to this lovely twist of words, often done here at CC.:rolleyes:

I'll be tipping by removing my auto tips and handing cash. I've been called someone who is going to stiff, ruin some system that really no one here understands or going to hurt my servers by removing it because someone will think they did a bad job.

I could care less what other people think or how well some twist words around here. A tip is a tip and a personal gift to someone who you appreciate what they did for you. A company should not tip for me. I'll do it myself. It is not called a service charge so as long as they call it 'gratuity', I'll do it myself thank you!!:D

Get used to this lovely twist of words, often done here at CC.:rolleyes:

I'll be tipping by removing my auto tips and handing cash. I've been called someone who is going to stiff, ruin some system that really no one here understands or going to hurt my servers by removing it because someone will think they did a bad job.

I could care less what other people think or how well some twist words around here. A tip is a tip and a personal gift to someone who you appreciate what they did for you. A company should not tip for me. I'll do it myself. It is not called a service charge so as long as they call it 'gratuity', I'll do it myself thank you!!:D

I am with you Mate.

I give money (a tip) to those that look after me and do a great job.

I probably tip most that do a pretty average or poor job because I feel obliged to and realise they are getting basic pay from the Cruise line.

I love it when others tell me I am a Bum because of my thoughts on this.

In Australia people do not pay Tips we do not have under privileged people serving us in fast food joints on $5 an hour that rely on tips to get by, there are Laws with minimum wages.

The whole World is not the USA or lives the same or thinks the same.

But I (we) are wrong and should not Cruise we are cheap skates.................

Agreed...People can afford to cruise but don't want to tip? Something is very wrong with that.

to be told what to tip is a problem. But the actual tipping is not. We have aways got really good service so try to reward that; bad service not so much.

I am with you Mate.

I probably tip most that do a pretty average or poor job because I feel obliged to and realise they are getting basic pay from the Cruise line.

In Australia people do not pay Tips we do not have under privileged people serving us in fast food joints on $5 an hour that rely on tips to get by, there are Laws with minimum wages.

If you don't want people to criticize what you do than don't post it for the world to see:confused:.

I am with you Mate.

You are not a bum. What you need to realize is that tip customs should be respected according to where you travel. I educate myself to the tipping culture of my destination and tip (or not) accordingly (and yes the ship is a unique destination with its own tipping culture) . It is culturally arrogant to take the attitude that you are sticking to the tipping customs of your country regardless of location. By the way, in the US fast food workers are paid at least the prevailing minimum wage and should not expect tips (despite the obnoxious tip jars at some establishments). Wait staff at restaurants are paid a much lower minimum wage and rely on tips. Thats the way it is in the US.

Who was upset about tipping?

Upset does not always mean "angry." Upset can mean out of order.

It seems there are those whose tipping views are upset (out of order) with that of the cruise lines' and other cruisers'.

Anyway, carry on with the discussion.

You are not a bum. What you need to realize is that tip customs should be respected according to where you travel. I educate myself to the tipping culture of my destination and tip (or not) accordingly (and yes the ship is a unique destination with its own tipping culture) . It is culturally arrogant to take the attitude that you are sticking to the tipping customs of your country regardless of location. By the way, in the US fast food workers are paid at least the prevailing minimum wage and should not expect tips (despite the obnoxious tip jars at some establishments). Wait staff at restaurants are paid a much lower minimum wage and rely on tips. Thats the way it is in the US.

I agree with you. What the poster probably doesn't realize is the "basic pay" he talks about in his post above is around $150 a month. RCCL has ALWAYS considered the gratuities and tips to be the dining and bar staff's salaries. It is what it is; and it's been this way since they started in 1969.

I especially like your statement about cultural differences, and that some people believe because they do it a certain way in their home country, that's the way it's supposed to be wherever they go. The UK and Australia in particular pay a much higher "basic pay" to their hospitality/dining industry workers. Therefore, no tipping is required. It doesn't matter what the US does; it's what the cruise line's policies are that matter. And, on RCCL gratuities/tips are the salary.

I just wish they would take it to the next step and call it a service charge and include it in the cost of the cruise. If RCCL did this I think the problem of their staff getting underpaid or stiffed would end. We've been hoping they would do this for the last 15 years!

Pathetic. But I'm sure they were not the only ones. That's why they should call it a service charge and make it mandatory with no way to opt out.

Is that not is happening now with the obligatory pre paid tips? Won't everyone have to pay their tips with their cruise payment or else see the $12 a day pp automatically debited each day to their Sea Pass. I think this is a great idea and hope it works well

Is that not is happening now with the obligatory pre paid tips? Won't everyone have to pay their tips with their cruise payment or else see the $12 a day pp automatically debited each day to their Sea Pass. I think this is a great idea and hope it works well

People can remove them though and Im sure many do :(

Yes, but the daily auto tip can be removed. Those who want to tip only cash are, in effect, stiffing the staff, who are supposed to turn it in. Much easier to do the auto gratuity, and those who wish can tip extra.

These threads make me crazy. Cultural differences include paying a higher price in non-tipping countries. Then there are those service charges added to restaurant bills in Europe. I once heard an American pitch a hissy fit over a $2 pp service charge in an Italian restaurant. It would never occur to me to ask that it be removed.

Yes, but the daily auto tip can be removed. Those who want to tip only cash are, in effect, stiffing the staff, who are supposed to turn it in. Much easier to do the auto gratuity, and those who wish can tip extra.

What proof of this statement do you have?? So, according to CC-not only does RCCL underpay the staff-they also make the staff turn in tips??

and I'm the bad guy for wanting the staff to keep the CASH tip money I give.:confused:

Something is really wrong with this whole scenario!!!

:mad::mad: we always do the prepaid gratuities and tip others as we see fit,I realized long ago that in life,not just cruising, there are people who are all about themselves.They expect everything and give little.Most are selfish,pompous,self absorbed phonies.Usually, I can spot them a mile away,although you get fooled sometimes.I try to avoid them and do not buy into their facade of superiority.To get back the the original post I feel bad for the staff,they deal with these demanding hypocrites and then get shafted.If one cruise would just bite the bullet and build it into the fare,hopefully,others would follow.Until then, enjoy the many fine people you meet cruising and if possible expose the cheapskates.Be nice and appreciative of the crew as well.Hopefully, there is karma working here somewhere.:cool::cool::cool:

What proof of this statement do you have?? So, according to CC-not only does RCCL underpay the staff-they also make the staff turn in tips??

and I'm the bad guy for wanting the staff to keep the CASH tip money I give.:confused:

Something is really wrong with this whole scenario!!!

There's been plenty of threads confirming just this. Rccl requires their employees to turn in cash tips as the tips are pooled then redistributed.

There's been plenty of threads confirming just this. Rccl requires their employees to turn in cash tips as the tips are pooled then redistributed.

I've read almost every thread and not once has anyone posted anything that can claim fact. Just because someone on CC posts it does not mean it is factual. I've read as much great information as I have read false here. You really need to know the context it is being posted.

I've also read way too many threads that have said 'my stateroom attendant told me' and more then once-you come to read that each and every one can tell a different story.

Someone named 'bunnyhop' from 'anytown usa' and all his or her friends is hard to call a reliable source!!;)

I've read almost every thread and not once has anyone posted anything that can claim fact. Just because someone on CC posts it does not mean it is factual. I've read as much great information as I have read false here. You really need to know the context it is being posted.

I've also read way too many threads that have said 'my stateroom attendant told me' and more then once-you come to read that each and every one can tell a different story.

Someone named 'bunnyhop' from 'anytown usa' and all his or her friends is hard to call a reliable source!!;)

LOL. I also heard. Reminds me of the "National Enquirer" always tells the truth. ( as they see it) :eek::eek:

It sounds to me like the issue would go away if the RCI increased the fare prices by the suggested tip amount and pay their staff a fair wage. Those that want to tip for good service can and those that don't won't be called cheapskates by those that tip.

For the record, being Aussies we always pre-pay our tips. It is included in the fare price quoted to us when we purchase our holiday. We may, or may not give extra depending on if we believe staff have gone above and beyond.

I'd also add that my first time to the US was for our honeymoon cruises. I was not a member of CC and I was not aware of the tipping culture. I was more focused on my nuptials than researching my honeymoon destinations tipping culture. Maybe some of those non tipping cruisers are not aware that the cruise line is underpaying their staff.

If the dinning room staff and cabin stewards are on contract while on the ships, does that make them subcontractors to Royal and then not actual employees? If so, would the contract then dictate the compensation ("wages") plus the opportunity to earn extra by the supplemental tips provided by the cruisers?

Just a thought...

Archived