First time cruiser leaving in 23 days!

Nessaraye

I am getting pretty nervous the closer the day gets and I am afraid I am forgetting something or haven't learned everything I need to know! Any advice is greatly appreciated! We need to know what all we need to take and what we need to do before leaving as well. We all have our passports!

Don't be nervous.........maybe you should list what you have done so we can help you fill in the blanks so to speak. Passports and filling out on line everything you need at embarkation are primary........prescriptions, over the counter meds.........then you can go with what you might normally take on any vacation........

have a great cruise.

So far we have our Passports, printed our Boarding Passes, Have our hotel for night before, Motion sickness meds, Lanyards for Sign & Sail card, Credit cards set up for those as well. Are we forgetting anything? Do we need any other documents if we are taking passports? Sorry for all the questions just don't want to forget anything that can't be bought there.

Don't be nervous.........maybe you should list what you have done so we can help you fill in the blanks so to speak. Passports and filling out on line everything you need at embarkation are primary........prescriptions, over the counter meds.........then you can go with what you might normally take on any vacation........

have a great cruise.

What all do we need to fill out online, just so I can make sure I have done all that!!

So far we have our Passports, printed our Boarding Passes, Have our hotel for night before, Motion sickness meds, Lanyards for Sign & Sail card, Credit cards set up for those as well. Are we forgetting anything? Do we need any other documents if we are taking passports? Sorry for all the questions just don't want to forget anything that can't be bought there.

Thanks for asking these questions Nessaraye. We're new cruisers, too. Lanyards, though? What's that for? Thank you.

Thanks for asking these questions Nessaraye. We're new cruisers, too. Lanyards, though? What's that for? Thank you.

Many people put their cruise card on a lanyard. It makes it much harder to loose, eliminates search for it in pockets or bags and lkeeps it way from things like your camera that will demagnetise the card.

What all do we need to fill out online, just so I can make sure I have done all that!!

I am not familiar with Carnival and their on line documentation. Usually you fill out credit card information that you want to charge on board expenses, usually an information form on emergency contact, things like that.

I'm sure a Carnival cruiser can tell you specifically what on line check is available for you.

I've been on two carnival cruises. check in online - you may do so now. Very easy to do. You can check in for both you and your travel companion. Have with you your passports and the credit card you will be using to pay for onboard expenses.

you will only have to print out one boarding pass as it covers all travelers in the same cabin (you will see both names on it).

If you and your travel companion are putting all onboard expenses on the same credit card, you will have the opportunity during check in to give permission to each other to charge to that card. (reverse is also true - if you are using separate credit cards, you do not have to authorize the other person to charge against it.).

Also have available emergency contact name, address, phone # - you will need that at online check in as well.

Have a wonderful first cruise. You will be hooked!

There are a few ports that require passengers to carry passports ashore. If you are at one, you will be told.

For all others, we leave our passports in the safe in our cabin. For me it is a question of which is more likely, that I would miss the ship and thus need the passport or that it would be lost or stolen. I feel the latter is more likely. In addition, if you are missing the ship, Princess will send an officer to your cabin to get the passport and leave it with the ship's representative in port.

You've been given some great advise and it sounds like you are already well prepared:) Just be sure that you do not pack your passports, keep them on your person for when you embark. I carry my drivers license and a copy of inside page of passport when getting off in a port, unless it is one that absolutely requires passport. I leave passport locked in safe in the cabin. I was nervous as a cat prepping for my 1st cruise, turns out it was way easier and I stressed for nothing:eek: Relax and have an amazing time:D:D

It sounds like you are on top of things. I hope you will have a wonderful cruise and will fall in love with it!

One of the best tips I learned from the boards, other than just going with the flow and not trying to do every activity, was to cross pack your suitcases for traveling and getting on the ship. If one suitcase goes missing, you each have something you can wear. I also spread out my and my DH's shoes between suitcases/carryons, so we won't be caught short.

Do we need to take our Drivers License off the ship at port or our passports? Or should we leave both in the Cabin?

Most of the ports in the Caribbean that I have been to require a picture ID to get back to the ship.

I always leave the PP in the safe and take my DL on shore.

Regarding packing -- perhaps you have already seen on these boards the advice that you mix up your stuff and your husband/traveling companion's stuff in your various checked bags, so if one bag gets lost by the airline, you have some of each person's stuff when you board. Good to put a little of everything -- casual, swim, toiletries, dinner clothes -- for at least the first day or so in carry-on, as well, if you can, so you know you have at least that with you!

You mentioned sea-sickness meds -- if you think you may need them, take one in the morning before you cruise. You'll get a jump on any queasiness, as it takes four or more hours for the meds to kick in.

Also, I, too, am curious to hear the answer to your question about transfers you have purchased. Is it true that the cruise line only provides transfers from the airport, not from your hotel? Hopefully someone will let you know about this. Otherwise, call the cruise line to find out (as I will do, if I ever buy transfers...)

Of course, for future reference, many hotels in the vicinity of ports provide free car service to the port, as they frequently have cruisers staying overnight.

Remember, everyone who cruises was a first-time cruiser, once! ;)

I would definitely go on the website for your cruise line. Read the FAQs, learn about your ship. As someone stated, there's probably an online form for your to fill out your passport info, emergency contacts, etc.

Even when I'm going on the same cruiseline, I'll do this before every cruise. Princess requires you to input your passport number and contact info before it allows you to print out boarding passes and luggage tags.

Have your logistics in place (your ride to the airport or where to park if you're driving).

Put together a list of your itinerary, with your flight number, which hotel, which ship and cabin number, phone numbers for hotel and ship, your cell phone numbers. I put this together and we give to a couple of my neighbors, my sister, hubby's brother, plus I print ones to put in our suitcases and in my purse (with confirming numbers, just in case).

I also make a list of things to do (get my hair cut, put in a mail stop) and hubby does the same, including turn off the water, lock the garage.

I try to keep the checklist and packing list on the computer so I'm not inventing the wheel the next time we go on vacation.

Doing these things keeps me organized and really isn't a whole lot of work.

Do we need to take our Drivers License off the ship at port or our passports? Or should we leave both in the Cabin?

Passports stay in the safe, with a spare credit card.

Photo ID's/driver's license go ashore with us.

If you have a beach day. you can get a waterproof neck pouch to hold your cash/cruise card/id/credit card while you are in the water (check Amazon)

Don't forget batteries or charger for camera.

Archived