Pre-Cruise Hotel Recommendation - Fort Lauderdale

I am looking for a pre-cruise hotel recommendation in Fort Lauderdale before our cruise on Oasis. I would like a hotel that has an airport shutting and port shuttle to make it easier. I don't mind paying an extra fee for the shuttle, I just want to simplify the number of reservations I need to make.

Our flight doesn't get in until 10:20 p.m. the night before our cruise, so I don't need many amenities or restaurants, just a place for our family of 4 to catch some zzzz's before we leave.

We've stayed at both the Springhill Suites and Fairfield Inn in Dania Beach. These both have free airport shuttle, free WiFi, and free breakfast. They have a shuttle to the ship which is and extra charge of something like $6 or $8 per person.

I have been researching the same for our upcoming Oasis trip. I like the Embassy Suites on 17th street. However, we will be a party of 20 with kids and grandkids so the free cocktails and breakfast might not be of interest to you.

I am looking for a pre-cruise hotel recommendation in Fort Lauderdale before our cruise on Oasis. I would like a hotel that has an airport shutting and port shuttle to make it easier. I don't mind paying an extra fee for the shuttle, I just want to simplify the number of reservations I need to make.

Our flight doesn't get in until 10:20 p.m. the night before our cruise, so I don't need many amenities or restaurants, just a place for our family of 4 to catch some zzzz's before we leave.

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites - but used the cocktail hour, etc.

We have also stayed at the Crowne Plaza (Holiday Inn group). More of a business location, but very nice. It is not a beach type hotel. However, with such a late arrival it may work.

One thing to check - Crowne Plaza has free airport shuttle - as do many of the hotels - but with such a late arrival you may want to check if any of the shuttles run 24 hours regardless of the hotel you use. Crowne Plaza has a nice bar, restaurant - good staff - we were very satisfied. Also has a morning shuttle to the port, which you pay for - run by an independent company.

We have found that many hotels have free airport shuttles but charge for port shuttle. It has always been easier for us to take a cab to the port - usually works out cheaper too than paying $10 or so each for a shuttle.

We just stayed at Hyatt Place near convention center (17th street). They have airport shuttle (free) and port shuttle (small fee). We used a cab - cheaper for 3 people and we were at the ship in minutes. There is a Publix and Total wine within 5 minute walk. Only issue is with getting in that late.. I think their airport shuttle may end at 11pm. You may want to keep that in mind for any hotel you choose.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites - it was very close to the pier and you can request a room that has a view of the cruise port. They have a great hot buffet breakfast each morning that is included - great value for a family!

Debbie

There are lots of cabs in Fort Lauderdale, at the airport and near the hotels, so don't worry about needing transportation reservations. Crowne Plaza is the newest hotel in Fort Lauderdale, and it's right between the airport and port. Hampton Inn north FLL and Holiday Inn Express Convention Center have free 24 hr airport shuttles, in case your flight gets in very late.

On a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale in April we stayed at the Hampton Inn pre-cruise for one night; both the airport shuttle and cruise shuttle are included (no extra charge). It worked well for one night.

We spent several days in Ft. Lauderdale upon our return, and then stayed at the Riverside Inn. We were very pleased with the Riverside and its staff, ambience and location.

Someone gave me very good advice which was to check the port schedule for the day of departure for your cruise. If there are a number is ships in port, then book your pre-cruise hotel night sooner rather than later.

When staying in Fort Lauderdale, A SHUTTLE IS A NON-ISSUE. If you stay in the downtown/17th street area, which is generally the preferred area for pre-cruise, then taxis are very cheap and much more convenient. Everything is really close and it is about $10 each way. Even if I had a free shuttle, I would take a taxi anyway.

A shuttle would not make things simpler, it would make things more complicated. You need to go on their schedule, not yours. You have to wait, possibly in the hot sun, because the shuttle is running 10 minutes late. You need to wait while all the other passengers load with their luggage. When you finally leave, then you may need to stop at other hotels to collect other passengers with their luggage. When you arrive at the port, you may need to stop at other terminals and wait for the passengers to unload with their luggage before they get to your terminal.

If you take a taxi, you just go outside at your convenience, and a taxi should be waiting. You hop in, and you are standing at your terminal with your luggage just three minutes later.

When staying in Fort Lauderdale, A SHUTTLE IS A NON-ISSUE. If you stay in the downtown/17th street area, which is generally the preferred area for pre-cruise, then taxis are very cheap and much more convenient. Everything is really close and it is about $10 each way. Even if I had a free shuttle, I would take a taxi anyway.

A shuttle would not make things simpler, it would make things more complicated. You need to go on their schedule, not yours. You have to wait, possibly in the hot sun, because the shuttle is running 10 minutes late. You need to wait while all the other passengers load with their luggage. When you finally leave, then you may need to stop at other hotels to collect other passengers with their luggage. When you arrive at the port, you may need to stop at other terminals and wait for the passengers to unload with their luggage before they get to your terminal.

If you take a taxi, you just go outside at your convenience, and a taxi should be waiting. You hop in, and you are standing at your terminal with your luggage just three minutes later.

I couldn't agree more! We always take a taxi, even when the hotel shuttle is sitting outside waiting for passengers......:D

Archived