Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

DH prefers an inside - and it has nothing at all to do with cost. I haven't read all the posts, but those who assume all folks who prefer insides are "poor" or "cheap" really need to stop generalizing. It's just not true.

I don't have a preference. There are good and bad qualities to inside, outside, and I haven't been in a balcony cabin yet, so I can't comment on that. We booked an ocean view balcony for our upcoming Oasis cruise and I'm curious if I'll like it. I've read so many complaints about smokers that I hope I'm not already prejudiced :rolleyes:

You will love the balcony..no comparison...one cabin is dark & boring, the other bright, airy, romantic and when you're sitting out there on a day at sea, tell me when you come back it wasn't mesmorizing? I assure you,MESMORIZING is not a word associated with inside cabins..you are right, both may have advantages...But, I find the biggest difference in a balcony ( as I mentioned in an earler post ), is the connection you have to the sea..sorry, but you just don't have the same connection to the sea in an inside cabin with no light, no salt air...don't forget to order breakfast on your balcony- days at sea are best, and it is free..you can order the night before in your cabin by filling out the order form ( usually on the wall or table..)..give the waiter a few bucks tip ( cash always) and have him set it up outside on the coffee table...don't miss HAIRSPRAY...best show at sea we've ever seen an don't miss the diving show in the Aquapark...also, walk in Central Park ( deck 8 ) at night..it's really beautiful on a nice night...have a great cruise...anymore questions, let me know..we have cruised both Oasis & Allure...

Interesting. We always have plenty of space for 4 suits.

We had a promenade cabin last time and picture this, two people, two wet suits, two rash guards, two pair of board shorts wet towels AND a swimsuit top ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL in one very small bathroom. No place to put them, which was my point in my original post as to why we prefered a Jr. Suite because it has a large walk in closet, large bathroom AND a balcony to get the damp out of everything before we go off to dinner :)

JUST swimsuits would be no problem but I don't do a bikini on the Flowrider ;)

Thanks for this thread as I have booked an inside cabin for my first cruise in September and was wanting to upgrade to a balcony but royal were wanting an extra £1500 for this pleasure and I simply couldn't afford it but as we will be full of busy and only using the cabin to sleep in I now feel the inside will be satisfactory x

It will be fine..have done inside..outside and balcony. We don't spend a lot of time in room. Too much going on in ship!!

As one lady said on here..hang me on a hook in the engine room..just put me on that ship!

LOL! TRUE..

depends on the size of the suits, i imagine. :eek:

We hang ours outside because they dry a whole lot faster, and they are in the way if they are hanging while you're showering.

exactly! :)

Edited by Raptor2010

It is NOT a put down....have you ever been in a balcony cabin? If you have and didn't enjoy it,fine...I am saying the reason you don't spend any time in your cabin, is there is no reason to IF it is an inside cabin...I didn't when we had an inside cabin..but when we have cruised in balconies, then we LOVED being in our sanctuary...I don't care what people say, if you think a small, dark ,boring cabin is exciting, you're in the minority....facts are when people have been asked to choose a cabin if both are the same price, one study showed 94% chose the balcony...studies also show that how much you enjoy the cruise and the kind of cabin you have are directly related...if you have never been in a balcony cabin, don't knock it till you try it as the saying goes...I have been in an inside, so I can speak from experience. Plus, my wife & I work hard- staying inside a dark, 150 sf cabin with no window, no light, no fresh air, is not our idea of exciting & romantic for our vacation...that would be like going to Burger King or McDonald's for our Anniversary dinner- cheap, not bad tasting, but not very exciting nor adventurous is it? No reason to get so sensitive- I'm just trying to point out the advantages of treating yourself ( and maybe someone else ) on vacation and having a reason to really enjoy your cabin- I believe everybody should...

Hey I'd go for it if it was the same price as the inside. But I am cheap, lol. I've stated i would even sleep in crew quarters if i could. We've had ocean views, but only if it was a marginal price difference, like $50. We don't spend time in the cabin, not because its an inside, but because we like to go out and do the different activities, sometimes we like to sit out somewhere and read, or go to a quiet place & read like the library or something.

I never knocked a balcony, nor am I sensitive.

I always joke with my wife that I want to live in a small apt like an inside. I'm a minimalist, I don't need much.

Hey I'd go for it if it was the same price as the inside. But I am cheap, lol. I've stated i would even sleep in crew quarters if i could. We've had ocean views, but only if it was a marginal price difference, like $50. We don't spend time in the cabin, not because its an inside, but because we like to go out and do the different activities, sometimes we like to sit out somewhere and read, or go to a quiet place & read like the library or something.

I never knocked a balcony, nor am I sensitive.

I always joke with my wife that I want to live in a small apt like an inside. I'm a minimalist, I don't need much.

I like your honesty..LOL....why don't you one day surprise your wife with a balcony cabin and NEVER tell her about...I did that with my wife for our anniversary cruise and she flipped out..remember luis, women don't like cheap- in my 60 years, I've NEVER met one who says, "yes I love my husband...he's great, and soooo cheap!"..on top of that my wife is from South America..they like NICE....she will LOVE it..think about it..there isn't as much difference as you think when it come down to per person, per day....do it for her, not for you....

I like your honesty..LOL....why don't you one day surprise your wife with a balcony cabin and NEVER tell her about...I did that with my wife for our anniversary cruise and she flipped out..remember luis, women don't like cheap- in my 60 years, I've NEVER met one who says, "yes I love my husband...he's great, and soooo cheap!"..on top of that my wife is from South America..they like NICE....she will LOVE it..think about it..there isn't as much difference as you think when it come down to per person, per day....do it for her, not for you....

Maybe, we'll see. Lol. But she has the same feelings about it. She knows I'm cheap & frugal. We would rather just use the money for an excursion or something, we don't buy souvenirs. We do ok, but can't afford to just throw our money around, we really plan every detail in a cruise. We've had to do cruises where all we could afford was the cruise.

I do everything for her ;). I've learned early to let her do her thing & not worry about it.

Whatever she wants to do is fine with me, seriously. I live to make her & our kids happy. :)

Maybe, we'll see. Lol. But she has the same feelings about it. She knows I'm cheap & frugal. We would rather just use the money for an excursion or something, we don't buy souvenirs. We do ok, but can't afford to just throw our money around, we really plan every detail in a cruise. We've had to do cruises where all we could afford was the cruise.

I do everything for her ;). I've learned early to let her do her thing & not worry about it.

Whatever she wants to do is fine with me, seriously. I live to make her & our kids happy. :)

Remember- she cannot like what she knows nothing about...balcony cabins are a totally different experience, and you see the cruise from a different perspective- from the perspective of the sea and the sunshine, not 4 walls..I like how you protect your family..LOL...surprise her, do something different..my father once told me, "being cheap is NOT something to be proud of...be cheap at home,a big shot on vacation- you deserve better....." I never forgot that..I was 16 when he told me not be frugal with girls..guys, OK, not girls..it has worked...28 cruises later, there is no other option for us..

We have cruised insides. I have no problem with them. They do not feel like closets. I willl admit on the Majesty, those insides were so small. I'm so glad i went on that cruise without hubby. I'm not sure how he would have fit. LOL!

I will agree that it is very hard to tell what time of day it is in an inside.

However, I maybe the only one. I prefer an inside over an ocean view. I don't like being at the bottom of the ship. Yes, there are some oceanviews on higher levels but these are hard to come by.

It's either inside or balcony or JS for us.

Remember- she cannot like what she knows nothing about...balcony cabins are a totally different experience, and you see the cruise from a different perspective- from the perspective of the sea and the sunshine, not 4 walls..I like how you protect your family..LOL...surprise her, do something different..my father once told me, "being cheap is NOT something to be proud of...be cheap at home,a big shot on vacation- you deserve better....." I never forgot that..I was 16 when he told me not be frugal with girls..guys, OK, not girls..it has worked...28 cruises later, there is no other option for us..

We are actually traveling with family this trip coming up. 2 of them have balconies, so we'll be able to check it out.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Inside cabins! I do not like light when I am trying to sleep. It is quiet and private.....LOVE IT! I usually book an inside handicap cabin. They are super oversized and have a Gigantic Shower and Bathroom.

The Best! It is true that you may be moved if a true handicap person needs it, but that has Never happened yet. I HIGHLY recommend you get a white noise machine to reduce engine noise. I actually recommend it for any cabin because of the noise outside your room of people talking in the hallway or doors slamming. I would Not worry about engine noise at all. You definitely will need your own alarm clock, as it is true, sometimes you can't tell what time of day it is. But it is great to turn on the tv and see the sunny lido in the morning........That'll get you going!

And that's what makes us humans unique -- I embrace how we all enjoy different experiences doing the same thing. On another post some of us said how we enjoyed exploring the ships looking at the wonderful artwork, another cruiser said they wouldn't waste a second doing that if it took away from deck time. Once again variety is the spice of life.

For me the Viking Crown Lounge is the most important thing for me. For me there is nothing better than sitting up there admiring the view, in air conditioning, while reading my kindle. Which is why I book interiors....we are never in the cabin (or outside) to enjoy the balcony.

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Yes! LOL ;)

Actually I sail in them too from time to time, but while in them I am wishing I had a balcony. :D

We always book a balcony partly because DH is claustrophobic (guess who puts on the crawl suit to check out things under the house?) and partly because our life in the suburbs of Los Angeles is very busy. Opportunities for interesting activities abound in the year-round wonderful weather here.

Cruises are our time to decompress, relax and spend time together. We spend a tremendous amount of time in our room and on our balcony because it's quiet, not nearly as windy as the deck areas, and we can snooze, talk, read or whatever.

Truly, if the shows, pools and entertainment committee evaporated from the ships, we wouldn't miss them.

We tell non-cruising friends that the very best thing about cruising is that we can do as much or as little as we like on each trip and always leave the ship feeling that we've had a wonderful vacation.

I have booked inside; ocean; balcony and suites. When we sailed Allure the inside cabin was plenty big for the two of us, we like the darkness in the cabin for sleeping

My bookings vary based on the ship, I will do my research first to see what size the largest inside cabin is, for instance its not worth booking a inside cabin on Princess their cabins are way too small, I book only balcony on Princess

Holland America has large inside cabins and those are my first choice

RCI again depends on the ship, the inside cabin would have to be like the Allure cabin, if not then a balcony or a family ocean view.

For us it comes down to value. As I've stated previously we've only had one non inside cabin in our 20+ cruises. The outside cabin, a balcony looking out off the rear of Radiance of the Seas. It was a great cabin. And wait for it, it was a surprise for my other half. We originally booked an inside cabin but the price dropped so much I stumbled across the aft cabin for about $20.00 more after two price reductions on the inside. As I said we loved the cabin, but it didn't become a necessity for either of us. If the pricing was equal, yes we'd take the balcony just for the occasional view, but we're still quite happy in our insides. Even with the balcony, I don't like to sit in the room/balcony and just hang out. I like to be out and about. For our upcoming transatlantic cruise, we booked a balcony as the difference in pricing with the inside after our Diamond discount was only about $400.00 total for a 15 night voyage. We thought that was worth the upgrade; however, inside cabins over the last two months have dropped dramatically so we switched to an inside and saved $1800.00 That $1800.00 difference no longer made the balcony a value for us. The savings actually paid for our 10 day precruise land tour. Everyone spends their hard earned money in ways that maximizes their own personal happiness and I wouldn't want it any other way.

We always book a balcony partly because DH is claustrophobic (guess who puts on the crawl suit to check out things under the house?) and partly because our life in the suburbs of Los Angeles is very busy. Opportunities for interesting activities abound in the year-round wonderful weather here.

Cruises are our time to decompress, relax and spend time together. We spend a tremendous amount of time in our room and on our balcony because it's quiet, not nearly as windy as the deck areas, and we can snooze, talk, read or whatever.

Truly, if the shows, pools and entertainment committee evaporated from the ships, we wouldn't miss them.

We tell non-cruising friends that the very best thing about cruising is that we can do as much or as little as we like on each trip and always leave the ship feeling that we've had a wonderful vacation.

Agree 100% on the decompress time...you know when we love the balconies? When you go to the pool deck on a sea day and spend many hours there..have lunch, maybe in the Windjammer..then back out and listen to the reggae band...hit the hot tubs & have a drink...then, maybe around 3 or 4 PM, back to the cabin. After hours of loud noise from music, kids, and basically thousands of passengers, I remember the first time my wife & I came back to our first balcony cabin & went out on the balcony- it was a beautiful day, there was a light wind blowing the salt air in your face ( now THAT you won't experience in an inside cabin!), and it was sooooo quiet...all you hear were the waves and the birds..WOW! What a memory!! We sat out there, away from the thousands of people..away from the noise..talk about decompressing!!!! And yes Zach1213, I too, pull the curtains and like the cabin pitch black when I sleep..BTW, of the 28 cruises we've done, 25 have been balconies of some kind..the only times I'ever had noise coming from other cabins were all on Carnival- and all were window/inside cabins...who says you sleep better in inside cabins? Not me....

I usually book an inside handicap cabin. They are super oversized and have a Gigantic Shower and Bathroom.

The Best! It is true that you may be moved if a true handicap person needs it, but that has Never happened yet

So you are saying you book handicap accessible cabins even though you don't need one only because they are bigger??????

Wow!

What does "true handicap person" mean? I truly hope this is some kind of sick joke?

It's a known fact Royal Caribbean never bumps people out of HA cabins so you are essentially taking away an opportunity for someone such as myself to be on that cruise.

Booking or being assigned one AFTER final payment date is one thing but if you are booking these cabins months in advance only because you have more room, I'm begging you to please stop.

Edited by ryano

Sorrrrrry...Ryano...no can do! All is legit...ask Royal themselves.

Happy Cruzing!

Pathetic. And no, no it's not legit! You are NOT suppose to be booking these cabins months in advance unless you need one! I don't care what some uninformed CS rep told you. Call the Special Needs dept and see what they have to say about it.

Karma is a *****! I hope you sleep well knowing you are keeping someone that needs that cabin out of it because of your selfishness.

Edited by ryano