Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

As a smoker (especially with recent smoking policy changes) a balcony affords me that opportunity to light up before and after bed without hiking across the ship to some designated spot.

Of course I always bring one of those long cardboard tubes left from wrapping paper so I blow smoke onto the neighboring balconies. Wouldn't want the former smokers nearby to not hate me. LOL

That last part is obviously a joke.

We have had insides, oceanviews and balconies. I do love a balcony, but we still do insides, or oceanviews to save some money so we can cruise several times a year. It all depends on what the cost difference is between the inside, oceanview and balcony. When we have a balcony, we do tend to spend more time in our cabin, and on the balcony. When we have an inside or oceanview, we tend to get out and socialize more with fellow passengers, activities and the crew!

As others have said, it is all personal preferance. That is why there are different types of cabins! As long as I can be on a ship, it doesn't matter really, what type of cabin it is.

I have never seen a thread from an inside cabin dweller complaining about their neighbors leaving the lights on, smoking, making whoopee, talking at 2 AM, etc. on their balcony.

Ain't that the truth! I swore I would never waste money on another balcony after our 1st experience, for several of the reasons you mention. I broke down and tried it again, and now book inside or balcony, depending on cost and itinerary.

Sorry, Inside=Ewwwww.

If I don't have a balcony I won't cruise. Who wants to sit in a small dark box with no fresh air? Not my idea of a vacay at all. But if you like it, more power to you!! I wish I had 'cheap' tastes, but alas, I never have. I need to be able to step outside and feel the wind, sitting in a windowless box would freak me out!

Really? Cheap tastes? Why do the "balcony only" posters feel it necessary to not only state their preferences, but put down those who have a different opinion? Of one thing I am certain, YOU have YOURSELF convinced you are right.

Really? Cheap tastes? Why do the "balcony only" posters feel it necessary to not only state their preferences, but put down those who have a different opinion? Of one thing I am certain, YOU have YOURSELF convinced you are right.

:confused: I'm a balcony only person and I didn't put down anybody in my previous post! So not all put down people that book inside!

no balcony to put wet rash guards, board shorts and shorty wet suits on.

And you are the reason they repeatedly announce not to do this. You have decided it doesn't apply to you, so you know better. That applies to lesser people, not you.

By the way, some people have said they don't spend much time in their cabin if they choose an inside cabin.. the reason you don't spend much time in your cabin, is because you have a crummy cabin! When we stayed in an inside cabin once, I coudn't stand going back to my jail cell..but now that we only book balconies, we can't WAIT to get to our cabin..as soon as we walk in there's the sunshine!! And then you open those doors and WOW- the sea, or a beautiful port!! Remember, 35-40% of your time is IN YOUR CABIN...why not enjoy it? If you've never had breakfast brought to your balcony on a cruise ( especially on a sea day!!), you are missing a piece of heaven!! My wife & I make it a point to have breakfast on the balcony at least once on our cruises ( AND IT'S FREE!!)...how about seeing the moonlight and stars from your PRIVATE verandah...yes, I know some of you will say, "you can see it from other areas on the ship"..true, but it's not your private sanctuary, and for sure, it's not nearly as romantic when you're out there with dozens of other people and the noise, etc...

You keep saying PRIVATE (in all caps, too) verandah over and over in your posts, but I'm not sure you know what that word means. I've never seen a balcony in all my cruises that was what I'd call private. You are either across from another ship or building in a port or there are people 2' from you that can here everything you do or say. I'm not arguing that it is YOUR balcony, but I wouldn't call it private.

And beyond that, I don't agree with anything you said in your post. At all.

Sorry, Inside=Ewwwww.

If I don't have a balcony I won't cruise. Who wants to sit in a small dark box with no fresh air? Not my idea of a vacay at all. But if you like it, more power to you!! I wish I had 'cheap' tastes, but alas, I never have. I need to be able to step outside and feel the wind, sitting in a windowless box would freak me out!

Wow. How very insulting. Liking an inside room doesn't mean your photo needs to go on peopleofwalmart or something. Sorry if that means all those people are so far beneath you.

I would hate to have to get dressed to do that. Same at night... sitting out in my jammies and listening to the waves makes the expense worth it.

Depends on the person and the jammies on whether I approve this message or not.

Of course I always bring one of those long cardboard tubes left from wrapping paper so I blow smoke onto the neighboring balconies. Wouldn't want the former smokers nearby to not hate me. LOL

That last part is obviously a joke.

You laugh, but I'm pretty convinced this happens! hahahahaha

Edited by poncho1973

By the way, some people have said they don't spend much time in their cabin if they choose an inside cabin.. the reason you don't spend much time in your cabin, is because you have a crummy cabin!

Not true at all. I love insides. It's cheap & I DON'T spend much time in it. Sleep & shower. No reason to put down my preference because you don't like it.

I am the one who posted about noise on the bottom decks. Have had to be there on a couple of occassions due to booking late and not wishing to spend the cost of a suite. In the back you hear the engine and thrusters quite clearly. In the front, you hear when they let the anchor out and other noise from about 4am on. Bring earplugs.

Sorry, Inside=Ewwwww.

So the inside cabin people are put down. Nice. I don't have cheap tastes, I just prefer to spend my money elsewhere. Hope that's ok with you.

The irony of an Energizer-branded flashlight that never needs batteries

makes me laugh, though... :D

I quite agree!

Kinda like shooting their battery business in the foot, I guess.

As a clever device, it works very well!

A techie friend tells me that the user cranking thing does not charge a small internal battery

-it charges a capacitor!

When you first pick it up off the shelf, it still has way-enough charge in it

(from the factory, whenever that was!!)

to shine the light when you click the On-button!

CrankLight-316.jpg

I keep one in the car, and one at the side of my bed

but they're going cruising with me on the 19th.

My wife and I made the decision that we would not cruise without a balcony.

Definitely not an inside, probably not an outside...we need a balcony.

Her and I prefer time to ourselves, and aren't the people who view the room as someplace to crash and nothing else;

rather, we're the type that view it as a place to relax, read on the balcony, watch the world go by from our bedroom.

For that reason, if we couldn't do a balcony, we wouldn't be going. Simple as that.

On behalf of the shareholders and bean-counters

let me say that we love you. :)

Please sail with us again and again.

Might we interest you in a suite, next time?

And you are the reason they repeatedly announce not to do this. You have decided it doesn't apply to you, so you know better. That applies to lesser people, not you.

And I would care about you and your silly opinion because?????????? :cool:

Also, WHERE does it say in my cruise contract that I cannot put a wet towel and/or shirt on my chair on the balcony. Last time I looked, they actually PROVIDED towels for our lounge chairs on the balcony. Who are you the balcony police? You really need to take a chill pill :)

Edited by Raptor2010

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Put us in the 'no balcony, no go' category.

The balcony cabins do come with drapes.

Have never been bothered by the sun shining in, but then again, I am an early riser.

We've also never been bothered enough by noise for that to matter either, besides noisy people can show up anywhere. Inside room ... no guarantee of quiet.

The ocean has to be pretty darn rough to cause me seasickness, and it would have nothing to do with "looking at the swell".

I really like being able to 'feel' the weather before we head out.

I sit out there while he's showering, etc. Can't imagine being cooped up in a windowless (balconyless) room waiting. Nah!

We all have our preferences. No right. No wrong.

Happy cruising! :)

And I would care about you and your silly opinion because?????????? :cool:

Also, WHERE does it say in my cruise contract that I cannot put a wet towel and/or shirt on my chair on the balcony. Last time I looked, they actually PROVIDED towels for our lounge chairs on the balcony. Who are you the balcony police? You really need to take a chill pill :)

Not to get into the fray ... they do advise against leaving items on the balcony.

Edited by WetToes

Hohoho! A thread like this is bound to provoke different views and it has been highly amusing reading them all.

Who said class distinction disappeared with the Titanic (or maybe QE2)? It is alive and well on cruise critic RCL boards!

I must remember on my next cruise to skulk out of my inside crummy jail cell (which in most cases isn't any smaller than a standard balcony cabin) and doff my cap to anyone I see coming out of a balcony and perhaps bow and scrape to those in suites.

If I could afford it I would probably sail in the higher grades too but as I can't I content myself with an inside. I'd like to think I wouldn't look down upon those sailing in inside cabins if I ever made it to balcony status!

I enjoy the darkness as it is easier to get to sleep. I do laugh at people who say they don't want to spend time in a dark jail cell. When we are in our cabin we generally are either in the shower or getting ready to go out or sleeping - we do that with our eyes shut so can't really enjoy the delights of the outside cabin in those situations.

As for enjoying the expense and privacy of a balcony, the majority of people on balconies are sitting less than 2 feet from your neighbour and it is a space large enough only to accommodate 2 chairs and a table.

If you can afford it and enjoy it, good luck to you. I hope to be able to try a balcony at least once but in the meantime will continue to enjoy everything the ship and cruising in general has to offer from my much cheaper hole in the wall.

On behalf of the shareholders and bean-counters

let me say that we love you. :)

Please sail with us again and again.

Might we interest you in a suite, next time?

:)

Suites are a bit much. Honestly we don't cruise much, partly because we prefer land vacations, but also because of our balcony rule. A balcony isn't a splurge to us like a suite would be, but it's enough that we don't so it multiple times a year. So sure, we spend more, but we do it less often.

Not to get into the fray ... they do advise against leaving items on the balcony.

Oh, I get that; however, when we go back to the cabin, we put them outside while we are getting ready for dinner (securing them to a chair) and then before we leave for dinner, we bring them inside and hang them in the bathroom.

I simply took took umbrage to his snarky comments ASSUMING we think we are above others and that could not be further from the truth. Bottom line is I don't like putting on a cold wet wetsuit in the morning and an inside cabin does not have a lot of room to hang things up.

He was rather rude about many posts and me thinks he needs a drink or maybe something stronger ;)

Guest maddycat

When we started cruising we always booked an inside cabin. It was all that we could afford. We didn't mind it. We didn't know any better. Since it was so dark you could sleep later. We also didn't spend much time in the cabin other than sleeping, dressing and bathing.

On one cruise we got a free upgrade to an outside. We really liked having a window. So we started booking outside cabins. Then, we became platinum on RCI and got the platinum balcony discount. From then on we only booked balcony cabins. We love having the entire wall of windows. It makes the cabin seem so much larger. We love walking out onto the balcony to check the weather. We love just sitting out on the balcony.

What is interesting is that the Quantum will have "Large Interior State" rooms. From the deck plans, they look like they will be twice the size of the balcony rooms across the hall from them (deck 12). So people who prefer an inside cabin can get an even bigger one? I never noticed if other RCCL ships have these larger interior cabins too.

On our two previous and one upcoming, we have gotten balconies. Both my sister and I need a quiet place to hang out, especially since our last cruise was the week of Thanksgiving and our next the week of Christmas. We enjoy the balconies. However, on our last cruise a friend traveled with us and she had an interior cabin and really enjoyed the dark and the quiet.

Oh, I get that; however, when we go back to the cabin, we put them outside while we are getting ready for dinner (securing them to a chair) and then before we leave for dinner, we bring them inside and hang them in the bathroom.

I simply took took umbrage to his snarky comments ASSUMING we think we are above others and that could not be further from the truth. Bottom line is I don't like putting on a cold wet wetsuit in the morning and an inside cabin does not have a lot of room to hang things up.

He was rather rude about many posts and me thinks he needs a drink or maybe something stronger ;)

Gotcha! ;)

We do the same with our suits. Sssshhh.

Interesting. We always have plenty of space for 4 suits.

Not true at all. I love insides. It's cheap & I DON'T spend much time in it. Sleep & shower. No reason to put down my preference because you don't like it.

It is NOT a put down....have you ever been in a balcony cabin? If you have and didn't enjoy it,fine...I am saying the reason you don't spend any time in your cabin, is there is no reason to IF it is an inside cabin...I didn't when we had an inside cabin..but when we have cruised in balconies, then we LOVED being in our sanctuary...I don't care what people say, if you think a small, dark ,boring cabin is exciting, you're in the minority....facts are when people have been asked to choose a cabin if both are the same price, one study showed 94% chose the balcony...studies also show that how much you enjoy the cruise and the kind of cabin you have are directly related...if you have never been in a balcony cabin, don't knock it till you try it as the saying goes...I have been in an inside, so I can speak from experience. Plus, my wife & I work hard- staying inside a dark, 150 sf cabin with no window, no light, no fresh air, is not our idea of exciting & romantic for our vacation...that would be like going to Burger King or McDonald's for our Anniversary dinner- cheap, not bad tasting, but not very exciting nor adventurous is it? No reason to get so sensitive- I'm just trying to point out the advantages of treating yourself ( and maybe someone else ) on vacation and having a reason to really enjoy your cabin- I believe everybody should...

Interesting. We always have plenty of space for 4 suits.

Depends on the size of the suits, I imagine. :eek:

We hang ours outside because they dry a whole lot faster, and they are in the way if they are hanging while you're showering.

DH prefers an inside - and it has nothing at all to do with cost. I haven't read all the posts, but those who assume all folks who prefer insides are "poor" or "cheap" really need to stop generalizing. It's just not true.

I don't have a preference. There are good and bad qualities to inside, outside, and I haven't been in a balcony cabin yet, so I can't comment on that. We booked an ocean view balcony for our upcoming Oasis cruise and I'm curious if I'll like it. I've read so many complaints about smokers that I hope I'm not already prejudiced :rolleyes: