Close call Nieuw Amsterdam?

jakkojakko

According a local newspaper, the Nieuw Amsterdam came close to grounding on a beach in Split Croatia. On the very short video it seems to be very windy and the (stern?) anchor might be dragging.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/06/articles/collisions/did-the-holland-america-line-new-amsterdam-nearly-run-aground-in-split-croatia/

http://dnevnik.hr/vijesti/hrvatska/citateljica-matea-samo-smo-gledali-hoce-li-se-kruzer-zabiti-u-obalu-ili-ne-bila-je-totalna-panika---290080.html

google translation of website:

Readers of our website, 22-year-old Matea Čikeš from Split, sent us a photo cruisers New Amsterdam, Holland America Line Company, who stopped 'bit' too close to shore, only about 150 meters from the famous beach in Split colored light.

It was total panic, not stranded, but came this giant cruise ship to the safety buoys, ma to five meters from the shore, could not get back, there was a ten-minute real panic, it seems that he is the anchor loose, large waves and south it is only carried to shore. Boats carrying passengers from the cruise ships, "he told Matea Dnevnik.hr.

In the Split police have received only one call related to the cruise ship.

"We got a call at 11:10 pm from a citizen that the storm carries cruise the coast, but the cruise is no answer, there was no panic calls of other citizens, the information we immediately forwarded to the Port Authority, has no feedback," said Ana Čepić from the Office of Public Relations PU Split-Dalmatia for Dnevnik.hr

Ministry: There was no danger

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Maritime Affairs, Transport and Infrastructure announced that there was no real danger. "We emphasize that on arrival and stay cruise Dutch flag name 'New Amsterdam' length 291 meters with 2143 passengers and 865 crew members did not come to any threats to the security of passengers, crew, or ship. Also, the minimum distance from the coast cruisers did not at one time was below 500 meters, and is currently the ship is 900 meters from the shore.

Cruise ship sailed this morning at 7.30 am on anchorage port of Split, and sailed from Venice. At 8.00 am started disembarking passengers, and only because of the wind coming up small maneuvers, "the Ministry said in a statement.

http://dnevnik.hr/vijesti/hrvatska/citateljica-matea-samo-smo-gledali-hoce-li-se-kruzer-zabiti-u-obalu-ili-ne-bila-je-totalna-panika---290080.html#

How many times have all of us had in our cars? The Almost accident, the oh my word,,,,,,, that could have been terrible?

We shrug it off and keep driving.

What matters is no injury and no damage.

I find it very interesting that one of the links is from that ambulance chasing attorney asking for more information.

I thought the exact same thing!! Did not mention it because I did not want to be flamed:o Just glad I was not alone in noticing it:)

Joanie

Split can be a tough port in which to tender. I recall in 2008 the Amsterdam had to cancel the port call because of the high winds and high seas. Yet, there were some entertainers or other crew who had to be put ashore at that port. I remember watching the tender taking them to shore bobbing and weaving as it struggled to get from the ship into the harbor, and then back again. If Captain van Zaane had tried to get guests ashore, there would have been many sea-sick folks. The tender crew on that morning earned every penny of their salary!

Archived