New menus coming

I haven't have the duck entree in a while - last time was 2011 and haven't been on a cruise long enough since, but it has been on the 7 day menus at least a couple of times. Sooner or later it will be back.

I really like the duck appetizer - if you want more order 2 or 3 or ?

On the 3/4 menus the duck starter is offered first night. I like it with the starter size lasagne.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I love Spam too.......I make it as Spam salad at least 2 times a month. I grate it, add mayo, a bit of dijon, some finely minced onion, dill relish and garlic powder. I eat it on Ritz crackers or put it in cored out cherry tomatoes.

I just don't agree with you.....I've been sailing for a long time, but only continually since 2001....but even then it was before all the menu changes started........the only thing I miss is the Beef Wellington.

I love the addition of the Everyday menu. There are just nights that I want something a little more everyday. We cook meatloaf, fried chicken, beans and cornbread at home all the time. I like having the option now on a ship.

I don't often order steak (regardless of type) because I grew up in a grilling household and you just can't beat the steaks we grill at home.

Your spam salad sounds a lot like my shrimp salad I make with baby canned shrimp.I may have to try it :)

I'd actually LIKE to see sloppy joes for lunch at the buffet!

DW prefers the food on RCL, and I like it better on CCL.

We both agreed, the food on Celebrity is overrated

I definitely agree with the food being overrated on Celebrity. We were on a 12-nt Med cruise on the Solstice in Nov. 2011 and several nights we actually couldn't find anything fit to eat, either in the MDR or the buffet. And we eat anything! We felt they were trying to be TOO haute cuisine, with all the curly cues of sauce and such but no real substance to the entrees. Not for us.

Yuck. Much rather Have something like this:

dry-roasted legumes ground into an artisan paste and smeared across house-baked, flame-licked ciabatta with a pairing of dew-kissed Concord sun-cured vine fruit stewed into a sweetened preserve and hand-carved into butterflied Isosceles paninis.

Well Said. Sometimes a P&J is pretty good.

I would like for the beef medallions to come back, but then My DH explains that was on Princess..Not Carnival.

On Carnival..........something really go on Day 3.4 and 5. One dish.

Chicken Keiv. (That should not be so expensive) Really good chicken Parm..instead of the Veal.9ugh) Some good, fat ravoli.

All in all...I find something I like to eat almost every night. And I love lunches in the MDR. Best meals of the day. And I never miss a meal. They must be doing something right.

Take the Gater mess off.

Maybe a Chinese dish. For Real. Chicken Cashew. Orange Chicken.

Pork fu Youg

Something good Mexican. Like Green Chicken Enchilados. Or real tamales....done in the corn husk.

Fry the fish one night out of seven or eight.

bbq the chicken one night out of seven.

make the desserts sweeter. Who ever makes the chocolate cookies on the dessert buffet in the Buffet nn the Life Deck..Make the Head Dessert Chef. He or She Knows cookies.

With the prices Carnival charges, yes, you DID just pay for a ride to the islands, and got an AMAZING deal in that it includes food and lodging.

I just did a quick comparison on a cruise from Norfolk to the Bahamas vs flying into Nassau.

Cruise for 2 people starts at $750 (total, both people, including taxes and fees)

Flights for 2 people start around $870 (total, both people, including taxes and fees)

So it actually is far less than "just a ride to the islands."

If you want exceptional food, that is your perogative, but there are cruise lines you can go on that will accomodate that and will, of, course, be priced accordingly.

~Katy

Katy, I have been on 24 cruises with Carnival, and if I didn't love cruising with them, I would have chosen another line. However, the fact that they are looking at the menus is a good thing. They changed them once. And trust me, if you have not cruised for many years with Carnival, you don't know what you are missing:). Food is food. But it does matter when you cruise that your food have great taste and variety, as they always did before. Carnival's food was beyond exceptional.... I don't need another line that will "accomodate" me. I don't need you to explain what a cruise is and what is included. Remember, I have been on 24. And have loved every one. If not, I would change it up. I didn't just pay for a ride to the islands. I paid for my experience on the ship also. which includes food, entertainment, and much more. A cruise is not just "a ride to the islands". If it were, I would just hop on a ferry and go to one, or a plane. I happen to love the cruising experience and always will and yes, I would much rather pay a little more and have the cruiseline that started my addiction go back to what they were known for.... food and entertainment above exceptional, with stops to exotic islands, and yet still had very good pricing, instead of the discounts they are having to do now because the product has gone downhill a bit... I will say I cannot wait until they bring Carnival back!!!

Bring back the "Delice of the Ocean". I am pretty sure they still have it, but it has changed also. It was a meal I looked forward to on every cruise. It had pasta and shrimp in what I think was a fettucini sauce, then around the edge of the plate was a potato ring, all around and was browned or toasted or something. That was my very favorite Carnival MDR dish for years...:)

Really? I've had it several times

Grilled Ribeye Steak Tyrolienne

DSC_6394.JPG

Also a nice NY Strip more than once

DSC_2019.JPG

Is this during the past 5 years or so? I have been on many cruises with Carnival and have not seen the Ribeye on any dinner menu... except the specialty steakhouse, or dinner club, or what ever they call it now.

I would like to see the menu, showing this from a few years back, and now also. Just curious as I have not seen it or I would have ordered it. Dang it looks good!

Those were from prior cruises and not standard 7 day cruises. On our 9 day Carnival Sunshine cruise ribeye, NY strip, prime rib were all served in the standard MDR.

I fully expect to see them again on our 12 day Carnival Legend cruise coming up. We happened to eat in the steakhouse the night the NY Strip was offered on our recent Carnival Sunshine cruise, but here is my ribeye from the next night, May 22, 2103.

DSC_0146_Zyde.jpg

DSC_0148_Zyde.jpg

Exactly! not on a 7 day , 8 day , or shorter... on the Sunshine because it is longer ....

Would be nice to see the Wellington show back up! I miss those :(

Sent from iPhone 4S

Me Too! I loved the Beef Wellington.

Beef Wellington was always a "Cruise Food" for me and I have missed it for nostalgia reasons as well!

Exactly! not on a 7 day , 8 day , or shorter... on the Sunshine because it is longer ....

They have been in the past and could be in the future. "New" menus usually mean mostly shuffling things around and minor changes. I woud expect some things from the longer cruises to move to the 7 day menus and vice versa.

Is this during the past 5 years or so? I have been on many cruises with Carnival and have not seen the Ribeye on any dinner menu... except the specialty steakhouse, or dinner club, or what ever they call it now.

I would like to see the menu, showing this from a few years back, and now also. Just curious as I have not seen it or I would have ordered it. Dang it looks good!

Day 1 of 7 day menu, Carnival Pride, Feb, 2008. Note also that a hamburger was on the always available menu.

d1b.jpg

from Carnival Sunshine, Day 5 (Menu 15)

D15.0512.jpg

I think it would be nice if they had a set menu like they have now that has some every day items and some that switch daily on a cruise schedule and then have one specialty appetizer, entrée, and desert daily that rotates daily on a monthly schedule so if you go on more than one Carnival Cruise you get a chance for some different options from your last cruise to keep things interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Any update as to when Carnival would be getting new menus? Specifically for Chef's table? I was thinking about booking a reservation for my trip in a few weeks, but don't want to do it again if it is the same menu as last summer.

Thanks for the info.

Caro-

I just got back from the Dream. And the food was just awful. I only ate 5 times a day . Matter of fact it was so awful that I have booked the Valor in October to remind me of just how awful it was. But this time since I know it was awful I think I will eat 6 times a day.

We were on the same cruise with you! I agree about the food. It was so terrible I had to have multiple appetizers, entrees, and desserts every meal!

Day 1 of 7 day menu, Carnival Pride, Feb, 2008. Note also that a hamburger was on the always available menu.

d1b.jpg

from Carnival Sunshine, Day 5 (Menu 15)

D15.0512.jpg

Okay, am I missing it? I don't see ribeye on that menu either. Strip is a great steak. The "New York Sirloin" should be a strip steak but sometimes regular sirloin is served as New York. Unless I see "strip steak" I don't necessarily expect a real strip steak. In either case, none of these is a ribeye.

You could count me on the bring back the wellington bandwagon...loved that.

Personally, for me, as someone surrounded by alot of good food (and exotic food) on a daily basis, I have found much of the current menu to be "eh." There isn't anything on the Didja menu I haven't already had except for the Frogs Legs (which I will never have). Am a little surprised that sushi is still considered exotic. I have found the soups to be almost uniformly amazingly good. And my favorite MDR dish of the whole cruise the last time was the Indian vegetarian meal...but then, I LOVE Indian food and generally found most other options bland. Understand why, because they have to cater to the masses...but again, "eh" for me. I love my Aunt Cecile's fried chicken, and unless Carnival's smuggled her aboard, whatever they serve would fall short.

I would look forward to a new or revised menu for the chance to try some new things. It was on a Carnival Cruise ship that I first had not only beef wellington, but escargot.

As for the Iceberg...I grew up eating it. Would rather eat grass than pay for a single leaf of it now. And the grass would probably have actual nutrients.

Bottom line...you need to find a way to please folks who are foodies, folks who live and die by their cut of beef, and folks who would eat comfort food every day of their lives, on the same ship. Not easy. All in all, I think Carnival does okay, when you consider that.

You could count me on the bring back the wellington bandwagon...loved that.

Personally, for me, as someone surrounded by alot of good food (and exotic food) on a daily basis, I have found much of the current menu to be "eh." There isn't anything on the Didja menu I haven't already had except for the Frogs Legs (which I will never have). Am a little surprised that sushi is still considered exotic. I have found the soups to be almost uniformly amazingly good. And my favorite MDR dish of the whole cruise the last time was the Indian vegetarian meal...but then, I LOVE Indian food and generally found most other options bland. Understand why, because they have to cater to the masses...but again, "eh" for me. I love my Aunt Cecile's fried chicken, and unless Carnival's smuggled her aboard, whatever they serve would fall short.

I would look forward to a new or revised menu for the chance to try some new things. It was on a Carnival Cruise ship that I first had not only beef wellington, but escargot.

As for the Iceberg...I grew up eating it. Would rather eat grass than pay for a single leaf of it now. And the grass would probably have actual nutrients.

Bottom line...you need to find a way to please folks who are foodies, folks who live and die by their cut of beef, and folks who would eat comfort food every day of their lives, on the same ship. Not easy. All in all, I think Carnival does okay, when you consider that.

Nice post. I agree with the soup comment.

Archived