Deceived by Viking River Cruises

CruisinGert

I would agree that you should have been told what was going on and allowed to make an "informed" choice. While at your hotel/on the ship, you also could have done some internet searches on your own to ascertain what was going on and approached someone with that information.

The worst part is that corporate is in (sometimes) an entirely different continent than the boat. They need (must) rely upon those that are there to make decisions. Maybe they though the water would recede, maybe they just planned to make your vacation the worst possible and let the bad PR go unnoticed. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I would agree that anyone can look good when things are going well. The true test of a business is what they do when things go wrong! Without a doubt, people will remember how companies reacted to this and will act according to their conscience.

Still no boats on the river...is that because of the damaged locks or the water height?

Which river?

If you are talking about the Danube, there are certainly boats passing Passau.

Ron

I was also on this June 2nd trip and completely agree with the comments. Viking was fully aware of the problems prior to us leaving on June 2nd and did nothing. Viking took our money knowing they couldn't satisfy the posted agenda. THere are a lot of cruise companies, I would recommend that you look at what happened on our June 2 trip before you decide on what cruise company best looks after its customers.

As someone who carefully reads the Grand Circle Travel Forum, I have not seen a single complaint about the flooding. This is not to say that people got the trip that they wanted, but that the problems were properly addressed to the travelers satisfaction. We have taken 14 trips with them and never had an resolved problem. We have had instances of low water, where they warned us, lightened the load where possible, and completed the cruise while other lines were held in dock or stacked up on the river.

Just checked viking website which is updated daily and as of today june 19 they still say the lock will be fixed by june 21 and no problems anticpated on any cruise after june 21.

Other sites say closed lock until june 28.. Sounds disruptive to me!

Uniworld hasnt updated their website for days

Hello cruise company people?! ! Be transparent and open and honest!

As someone who carefully reads the Grand Circle Travel Forum, I have not seen a single complaint about the flooding. This is not to say that people got the trip that they wanted, but that the problems were properly addressed to the travelers satisfaction.

Interesting... CC did a poll about which is your fav river boat company. I think they should do a poll about which river boat company best handled the flood crisis. We all vote with our money anyways so it is good info to have,,,ie who communicated the quickest, most honest, most transparent to its passengers.:confused:

Just checked viking website which is updated daily and as of today june 19 they still say the lock will be fixed by june 21 and no problems anticpated on any cruise after june 21.

Other sites say closed lock until june 28.. Sounds disruptive to me!

Uniworld hasnt updated their website for days

Hello cruise company people?! ! Be transparent and open and honest!

Uniworld has posted here with updated and correct information.

Terri

Uniworld has posted here with updated and correct information.

Terri

Maybe so but their website has NOT been updated. This is what it says today June 19, note the website has june 13 as the last update

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Updated message on June 13, 12:00 p.m. PDT

We have an update on the following two cruises that we’d like to share with you:

June 16, 2013 sailing of the River Ambassador, Highlights of Eastern Europe, Vienna to Belgrade

Regretfully, the above referenced sailing has been canceled due to the closure of the lower Danube River south of Budapest that has just occurred as well as the closure of the Gabcikovo Lock between Budapest and Bratislava for repairs. The lock is expected to reopen on June 19.

As a result neither the River Empress nor the River Ambassador can be in Vienna for embarkation on June 16, and we have no other alternate vessel available. We are processing a full refund and offering a $500 per person Future Cruise Credit valid on another Uniworld Europe or Russia River Cruise in 2013, 2014 or 2015. We are in the process right now of contacting all bookings affected by this cancellation

June 16, 2013 sailing of the River Beatrice, Enchanting Danube, Budapest to Passau

This sailing is currently scheduled to operate though the potential exists for sailing schedule deviations to occur. Contingency plans are in place if needed.

Thanks once again to our guests and travel agent partners for your continued patience and understanding. It is truly appreciated.

Please do not hesitate to contact your travel agent or a Uniworld representative at 1-800-733-7820, Monday – Friday, 6:00 am to 6:00 pm PDT, and 6:30 am to 3:00 pm PDT on Saturdays, if you have any questions. Should there be any further changes we will post an update to keep you informed.

With kind regards,

The Uniworld Team

Uniworld updated website 7:40 PST today, as well as posting the same message on CC and a note on Facebook.

It appears they've done as good or better than other lines in keeping their clients informed AND reimbursed.

We, along with 188 other passengers anticipated our Viking River Cruise on the Idun departing Nuremberg on June 1. The cruise turned into a very expensive and deceptive bus trip through Europe. Unfortunately, the passengers had not done full due diligence prior to arriving to realize that the Danube river was ALREADY closed to river traffic and the ship would NOT be able to depart the canal it was on. The crew professed no prior knowledge of this and each day we had to see what the contingency plan was for the next day. The ship actually departed the canal dock in Nuremberg and sailed a short distance to Redensberg where we then proceeded to bus to either planned destinations or destinations such as Munich that VRC offered to keep everyone busy.

The horrible part was the lack of information by the crew to the passengers and a continued message of optimism that the water levels would lower and we would sail. This was impossible as they did not even crest until after our 'cruise' had ended.

VRC acted irresponsibly in transferring all guest by motor coach ( over 7 hours ) to Bratislava, Slovakia to the Viking Njord which was holed up in a totally flooded commercial shipping slip where passengers had to access the trip through a flooded parking lot walking on railroad ties and on a corrugated tin utility access cover that covered the electrical controls for the gantry crane that ran beside the ships. At 50 we were probably the youngest on the trip and there were many with disabilities that had to either stay on the ship or chance the path. VRC dropped one passengers suitcase in the water and did not even inform them.

They used the Njord as a 'hotel' for us for two nights and bussed us back and forth to Vienna from Bratislava instead of DOING THE RIGHT THING and putting people in a hotel in Vienna instead of saving money this way and wasting even more of our time on busses.

Everyone was empathetic to the situation the crew was in HOWEVER, the cruise that was scheduled to sail the next day from ours gave the passengers the option to go home / full refund or take the 'bus cruise'. VRC should have or fully knew the situation and pushed to get us through the system and out the back door.

VRC offered passengers a 75% cruise credit (time expired in 2015) to people that saved years for this trip and/or will never do another river cruise again. A few communications with VRC in California resulted in a reinforcing letter that they feel they did everything to accommodate and compensate according and that they will not move from this position.

BEWARE OF VIKING RIVER CRUISES. Competitive cruise lines did the right thing and cancelled cruises and/or offered refunds and compensation where VRC weight the options of the impact on its business and made a fiscal decision, not a customer focused decision.

Boat was good. Crew was good. Food was good. If the water was fine, it would have been good however a corporation is judged by how it reacts when things to WRONG and there are hundreds of very disappointed and upset passengers that feel that we were tossed along like hot potatoes, outright lied to and misled by the crew ( even to the point that the transfer to Bratislava was with the 'hope' that we would sail to Budapest form there ( THEY KNEW THE RIVER WAS CLOSED AND RISING ) but did not communicate that to the passengers.

The cost of doing the right thing would have been much less than the loss of business they will encounter from this. Even a partial refund in cash vs a time expired credit would have been the right thing.

Peed off in the North

Very well wriiten "review" of your horrible experience.

It is too bad that one of your 188 passengers didnt check here on cc during your "cruise" for up to date and accurate info about the changing, worsening and rising water conditions. Our four ccers from germany would have been able to tell you the truth.

I hope you get a better compensation from viking..

I am going on Skadi in November. All I can say is that first I cannot get my money back. secondly. I am sure that Viking has learned from this situation and will handle it differently the next time. I am confident, that this being a major river cruise company will not allow something like this to happen again. ( I hope)

Cens

I am going on Skadi in November. All I can say is that first I cannot get my money back. secondly. I am sure that Viking has learned from this situation and will handle it differently the next time. I am confident, that this being a major river cruise company will not allow something like this to happen again. ( I hope)

Cens

But it DID happen before..2005.

While some cruise lines are new to the world of river cruising and maybe could be excused for not having the past experience, Viking is not. I sailed Viking in 2001.

Cens

Here's a thread that discusses how Viking handled the low water situation on the Rhine in late 2012.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1533517&highlight=viking+refund

If you read the thread you'll see similarities.

All river cruise lines have to face high water and low water situations. As one would expect, each company's policy for service recovery varies - some better, some worse.

Here's a thread that discusses how Viking handled the low water situation on the Rhine in late 2012.

All river cruise lines have to face high water and low water situations. As one would expect, each company's policy for service recovery varies - some better, some worse.

There is really nothing I can do at this point except to lose all my money...and that I will not do. Lets hope all is good when I do go in Nov...

That was a good link and reminder to us all that high water/ low water is an ongoing problem with river cruises. This years flood of course was exceptionally bad.

I will copy and paste the carrier contract that we all " agree" to when we purchase a river cruise. None of us read it but it is all laid out in black and white...you buy a river cruise but that is maybe not what you get sadly.

There are carriers rights but there should be passenger rights too. Note the words in BOLD " if you have NOT EMBARKED" they can cancel the cruise and refund you in full with no further liability. Maybe that is why they " embarked" even tho as some posters noted they never CRUISED.:confused:

CARRIER’S RIGHTS. The Ship, either before embarkation or at any time thereafter and whether or not required by any maritime necessity, may remain in port, proceed by any route and deviate from or change the advertised or intended route at any stage of the voyage and may proceed to and stay at any places whatsoever, although in a contrary direction to, or outside of, or beyond the usual route, one or more times, in any order, for loading or discharging fuel, stores, laborers, stowaways, Passengers, or members of the Ship’s company, for this, or any prior or subsequent voyage and/or for any purpose whatsoever that we, as Carrier, or Master may deem advisable. Any such procedure shall be considered not to be a deviation but within the voyage herein intended as fully as if specifically described herein. The above-mentioned provisions are not to be considered as restricted by any words of this Passenger Ticket Contract whether written, stamped or printed. The Ship may adjust compass, drydock or go

on ways before or after commencement of the voyage and may sail without pilots, tow or be towed, and assist vessels in all situations and deviate for the purposes of saving life or property. If the performance of the proposed voyage is hindered or prevented (or in the opinion of the Carrier or Master, is likely to be hindered or prevented) by war, hostilities, blockage, ice, labor conflicts, weather, surf, shallow waters, insurrections, disturbances, on board or ashore, restraint of any Governmental Authority, breakdown of the Vessel, congestions, docking difficulties or any other cause whatsoever, or if we, as Carrier, or the Master of the Ship consider that for any reason whatsoever, beyond the control of the Carrier, proceeding to, attempting to enter, or entering or remaining at any port may expose the Ship to risk of loss or damage, or be likely to delay the Ship, you and your baggage may be landed at any port or place at which the Ship may call, in which event our responsibility shall cease and this Passenger Ticket Contract shall be deemed to have been fully performed, or if you have not embarked, we may cancel the proposed Cruise and refund your Cruise Fares as paid, with no further liability of any nature.

VIKING RIVER CRUISES, INC.: Viking River Cruises, Inc. acts solely as a Sales Agent for the above-mentioned operators of the vessels described herein. Viking River Cruises, Inc. neither owns nor operates any of the vessels described herein and thus assumes no responsibility or liability for acts or omissions of the vessel owners or operators in regard to the cruises described herein.

The whole contract is at http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/pd...t_EU.RU.UK.pdf

I will copy and paste the carrier contract that we all " agree" to when we purchase a river cruise. None of us read it but it is all laid out in black and white...you buy a river cruise but that is maybe not what you get sadly.

Although I can't support the more hyperbolic posts of a few days ago, more recent detailed posts have shown much more merit in seeking further compensation.

With that in mind, do remember that different countries have different levels of consumer protection and different rules regarding contracts of adhesion.

In the UK for example pretty much all of the terms that you listed which give the carrier the right to ignore what they sold and deliver what they want would have little or no impact on their actual liability.

I've appreciated all contributions to this thread ... even though some weren't what I wanted to read!

Proppilot, I share your experience & your anger. It is the intentional deceit & lies of omission that have left such a bitter taste in my mouth.

In hindsight, could/should I have done more to protect myself? I honestly don't think looking here at CC would have helped me. Even had I read the 2 postings that someone copied onto this thread ... what would I have done with that information, given that I was already enroute to Amsterdam? I might have called Viking when I arrived ... & probably been given the same false assurances & sugar coated truths I was given on June 2nd, the day we embarked. Had I decided to not embark, I would have been totally out the cost of the cruise. I would not have done that, I know. I would have gone anyway & hoped for the best.

I hoped for the best for 5 days, listening to the cruise director tell us the waters were receding. I trusted Viking, I believed him. Even when we boarded buses, I still thought that this was just one of those bumps in the road ... & then our cruise would go on pretty much as planned. I didn't realize the cruise was actually over. When I finally realized that, & understood the gravity of the flooding, I left the ship for home. Some people were satisfied with continuing on the bus tour, believing it to be an acceptable alternative. I am thankful I got home safely & out of an area which was being evacuated. I believe the death toll due to the flooding is now up to 34. I am grateful it was only a vacation I lost.

I did try to access the internet while on board the Tor & Skadi, to try & learn more about what was happening on the rivers. The free internet was virtually useless. Everyone else on board was trying to do the same thing, so the internet was so slow it was impossible to access. We couldn't access it from either our iPad or from the ships computers.

I read the contract. I accepted the risks. All adventures have inherent risks. It's the nature of adventure, after all. One of my favorite lines in the Viking contract was, "...we retain the right to overbook Passenger accommodations. In the event that the Passenger accommodations referenced in the Passenger Ticket Contract is overbooked, or if we determine that the Ship is overbooked, we may, at our discretion, deny boarding to any Passenger and, at our further discretion, refund all monies paid or offer another cruise in substitution." Wow ... can you imagine showing up at embarkation & being told, "Sorry, no room for you."?! I actually would have been better off.

I have been trying to give Viking the benefit of the doubt. Everyone has perfect hindsight & it's so easy to be a great arm chair general. But when you're the one in the moment, the one making the decisions, it's a far different field of vision. The question that remains with me is, "What did Viking know & when did they know it?"

So, no, I'm certainly not recommending anyone to cancel their cruise w/ Viking. I don't have any answers. I guess "Buyer Beware" is the final truth. A very long winded post ... sorry.

I believe that the best weapon is publicity and the publishing of as many experiences as possible.

Clearly a number of companies were overwhelmed by events.

Hopefully on reflection they will reconsider their policy for those travelling during the first half of June.

I note that Viking have gone quiet on these boards, maybe that is a sign that they are reconsidering their position and I wish you all good fortune.

VIKING RIVER CRUISES, INC.: Viking River Cruises, Inc. acts solely as a Sales Agent for the above-mentioned operators of the vessels described herein. Viking River Cruises, Inc. neither owns nor operates any of the vessels described herein and thus assumes no responsibility or liability for acts or omissions of the vessel owners or operators in regard to the cruises described herein.

The whole contract is at

I have to admit to being very surprised to read that Viking DO NOT own their own ships. Was anyone else aware of this? They certainly have given the impression in the past that the Viking line in Europe was owned and operated by Viking. Seems that is not so.

I've read many angry and frustrated reviews of water levels and unfair and uncaring treatment by Viking.

It is only fair that for those who are reading and perhaps deciding not use Viking to present another side of Viking customer service and policy.

We were booked on a Danube Waltz cruise for Nov 2, 2013 -- booked over a year in advance on the Viking Sky. Viking cancelled that cruise and when they contacted us I was expected a refund of my deposit but nothing more. I would simply rebook on another boat or date. Not a big deal.

Imagine my grateful surprise when Viking not only allowed us to rebook our cruise, we were told we could rebook it at any date. We had booked Nov 2, because it was the lowest price offered. Our Sales Rep told, "You don't have to worry about that anymore. What date would you like to go?" We moved to Sept 6 sailing thus receiving a cruise at less than half of what we would have normally paid, and a cabin upgrade as well.

So you see, there is a flip side. Viking does in fact have outstanding Customer Service. They follow Cruise Critic reviews and often respond.

On the cruises themselves, they have followed suggestions proposed: like free water to take during the day tours, cookies, coffee...more evening games like Trivia Challenges. They do listen, and they do respond.

I have no doubt that Viking will contact those who were stranded and disappointed in their vacation, and make it right.

We will soon be taking our 3rd Viking cruise, and have China booked for next year. I totally recommend Viking to anyone.

we have done 6 river cruises with avalon and enjoyed the experience. it is very sad to read these reports but quite an education. we are all now more aware of locks, even the names of locks. plus many more webcams plus other websites that give current info re river levels etc.

this is an exceptional event. many have suffered and more will be its over. consumers have bought a product and not received what they paid for. some have suffered discomfort and inconvenience and feel aggrieved.

the legal issues are interesting around contracts and terms and conditions. time will tell if any will test those terms and conditions. many will be given as is already the case, go away money/compo.

some cruisers have the ability/knowledge and skills to get a satisfactory outcome...some will need help.

some of the stories are appalling. consumers are more educated about their rights and will pursue them. travellers will be informed by these events and their decisions about future trips will be governed by that knowledge.

good luck to all. it is troubling to see people treated badly, particularly vulnerable or elderly ones.

I noticed that the link provided a few posts back included a pdf of the Viking Contract but the extension was' uk' and that is the one I copied and pasted here.

I just found the pdf of my own 'contract' that was included in my Dec 2012 Viking Danube cruise and I will attach it. The wording is quite different from the UK one but no clearer or more promising as far as what the customer aka passenger can expect to receive in the form of compensation.

Pretty much you are hooped so better pray your cruise goes ahead as you have planned cuz otherwise....not looking promising. Here is the California contract:

VIKING RIVER CRUISES, INC. BINDING CONTRACT

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: THIS WILL CONFIRM YOUR PURCHASE OF A VIKING RIVER CRUISES, INC. RIVER CRUISE.

PLEASE READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AND VIKING RIVER CRUISES, INC.

THIS CONTRACT CONTAINS SUBSTANTIAL PENALTIES FOR CANCELLATION, AS WELL AS SPECIFIC LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY.

PLEASE REVIEW THIS CONTRACT CAREFULLY, SO THAT YOU UNDERSTAND BOTH YOUR AND OUR RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES.

General Conditions: THIS CONTRACT IS SOLELY BETWEEN YOU (THE GUEST ON A VIKING RIVER CRUISE) AND VIKING RIVER CRUISES,

INC. (“VIKING”), WHICH ACTS SOLELY AS A SALES AGENT FOR THE OWNERS AND OPERATORS OF THE SHIPS DESCRIBED IN THE VIKING

RIVER CRUISES BROCHURES, WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL (“VIKING ADVERTISING”) AND FOR ALL TRAVEL

SERVICES, INCLUDING LAND, AIR AND WATER TRANSPORTATION, ACCOMMODATIONS AND EXCURSIONS WHICH COMPRISE A VIKING

RIVER CRUISE, ALL OF WHICH ARE PURCHASED FROM THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS UNRELATED TO VIKING, WHICH NEITHER OWNS NOR

OPERATES ANY VESSELS OR OTHER MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION, ACCOMMODATIONS OR OTHER TRAVEL OR LEISURE FACILITIES.

VIKING ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ACTS OR OMISSIONS OF THOSE PERSONS PROVIDING TRAVEL SERVICES,

ACCOMMODATIONS OR ANY OTHER ELEMENT OF A VIKING RIVER CRUISE. YOU AGREE THAT PASSAGE ON ANY VESSEL UPON WHICH

VIKING IS ACTING SOLELY AS A SALES AGENT IS GOVERNED BY AND SUBJECT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE PASSENGER

TICKET CONTRACT ISSUED TO YOU WHICH LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS AND SETS FORTH LIMITATIONS WITHIN WHICH CLAIMS MAY BE MADE

AND/OR SUITS MAY BE FILED AGAINST A PARTICULAR VESSEL, ITS OWNERS, OPERATORS AND VARIOUS OTHER THIRD-PARTY

PROVIDERS. YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT YOUR RIGHTS AS A GUEST OF VIKING RIVER CRUISES ARE GOVERNED SOLELY BY

CONTRACTS BETWEEN YOU AND ALL THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS FORMING COMPONENT PARTS OF EACH VIKING RIVER CRUISE. ALL

AGREEMENTS TO WHICH YOU ARE SUBJECT ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE AT http://WWW.VIKINGRIVERCRUISES.COM. SPECIFICALLY, IN MAKING A

DEPOSIT FOR ANY VIKING TRIP, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ALL PROVISIONS CONTAINED IN THE APPLICABLE AGREEMENTS

COMPRISING YOUR VIKING RIVER CRUISE, INCLUDING SPECIFICALLY THOSE PROVISIONS RELATING TO VENUE, JURISDICTION,

GOVERNING LAW AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION AS WELL AS LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY.

Dispute Resolution: This Contract is governed by the laws of the State of California, exclusive of conflicts of law provisions. All disputes relating to this

Contract directly or indirectly shall be litigated if at all in and before any court of competent jurisdiction located in Los Angeles County, California, USA, to

the exclusion of the courts of any other jurisdiction and you agree to be bound by and submit to the venue and jurisdiction stated in this Contract.

Deposit Policy: A cruise fare deposit of $500.00 per person is required to secure a confirmed reservation. The deposit applies to the cruise fare portion

only and does not apply to air purchased. Air seats are limited; airfares are subject to change and are not guaranteed until full payment of air is received.

When more than one cruise is booked, deposit and payment policies apply per cruise fare. The final balance is due no later than 90 days prior to

departure. Promotions may have different payment terms. Please refer to the offer. All reservations are subject to cancellation and/or cancellation

charges if payments are not received by the due date.

Payments/Revisions: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, checks made payable to Viking and e-check (Electronic Funds Transfer) are all

acceptable forms of payments. Once a cruise booking has a deposit or air is paid in full, all changes are subject to a $30.00 charge per change. See

Cancellation Policy section for additional details on situations which are classified as cancellations rather than changes.

Cancellation Policy: For any cruise/tour booking, whether under deposit, partially paid, or paid in full, or air paid in full the following Travel Agent or

Guest-requested situations are considered cancellations and penalties will apply as noted below: changes to departure date; substitutions of itinerary;

substitution of another person for original booked guest(s); or changing to a promotional fare. All cancellations must be in writing. For all air-inclusive

packages cancelled after issuance of an airline ticket, the air portion of the refund, if any, will be processed only after the return of airline ticket. The

following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received prior to departure up to the scheduled time of departure. The

following charges will apply to cancellations received as follows (Viking Strongly recommends the purchase of the Travel Protection Plan):

Cancellation received Charges will apply

121 days or more prior to time of departure: $100.00 per person

120-90 days prior to time of departure: 15% of Full Fare

89-60 days prior to time of departure: 35% of Full Fare

59-30 days prior to time of departure: 50% of Full Fare

29-0 days prior to time of departure: 100% of Full Fare

Full Fare is defined as the full cost of any cruise, land or air component purchased from Viking.

Travel Protection Plan: We highly recommend adequate personal and baggage protection as well as trip cancellation travel protection plan for all

guests. All trip cancellation policies will be strictly enforced. Applications for the Travel Protection Plan are provided upon request.

Travel Documentation: All guests must have passports valid for six months following disembarkation and necessary visas when boarding. It is the

guest’s responsibility to ensure that they have all necessary documents to participate in the cruise or tour which they have purchased and Viking accepts no responsibility for obtaining required visas nor for advising guests of visa or other immigration requirements. Travel documents are issued 3 weeks prior to departure. Documents required prior to 3 weeks will be charged a $25 processing fee.

Responsibility and Liability: Viking accepts no liability or responsibility for any activity comprising a Viking River Cruise, except that of a sales agent

promoting, selling and otherwise administering river cruises consisting of those travel services and facilities noted above, all of which are furnished by

third-party providers unrelated to Viking. Those persons providing travel services and/or accommodations for Viking River Cruises are independent

contractors and are neither agents nor employees of Viking, which is not responsible for direct, indirect, consequential or incidental damage, injury, loss,accident, delay or irregularity of any kind, occasioned by reason of any act or omission beyond its control. All arrangements made for you as a guest in a Viking River Cruise with independent contractors otherwise referred to as third-party providers are made solely for your convenience as a guest at your sole responsibility and cost. Under no circumstances shall Viking be construed as a carrier or as a provider of travel services or accommodations of anynature, it being understood that all such services and accommodations shall be governed by agreements between you as the guest and each such third party provider as an independent contractor.

Viking shall not be liable for delay or inability of any third party provider/independent contractor to perform any travel service or accommodation referred to in the Viking Advertising or any part thereof caused by or arising out of strikes, lockout or labor difficulties or shortages whether or not the carrier is party thereto, or explosion, fire, collision, standing or foundering of the vessel or breakdown or failure of or damage to the vessel or its hull or machinery or fittings howsoever and whosesoever any or the same may arise or be caused, or civil commotion, riot, insurrection, war, government restraint,requisitioning of the vessel, political disturbance, act or threats of terrorism, inability to secure or failure to obtain supplies including fuel, Acts of God, or other circumstances beyond their control (the “events”). Upon the occurrence of any such event an increase or decrease in the purchase price may be required and in such case you shall be provided with an explanation of the changed circumstances, together with a partial refund or a supplemental invoice, which you agree to pay when received. This Contract may not be otherwise modified except by a writing signed by an executive corporate officer of Viking.

Cancellation by Viking: Viking reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a cruise or to make changes in the itinerary involving any travel services

and accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, conditions warrant. In the event of charters of the vessels, truces, lockouts, riots or stoppage of

labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Owner or Operator of the cruises identified in the Viking Advertising may, at any time, cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled cruise and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another facility or itinerary and Viking shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement.

Viking shall not be required to refund any amount paid by any cruise guest who must leave the cruise prematurely for any reason, nor shall Viking or the owners or operators of the cruise identified in any Viking Advertising be responsible for lodging, meals, return transportation or other expenses incurred by such guest.

Services Provided by Airlines: Viking reserves the right to choose the air carrier, routing and city airport from each gateway city. Any changes

(including name changes) made to an issued airline ticket will incur a $50.00 per ticket change fee. Any additional costs including penalties for

cancellations/rebookings

will be made at the guest’s expense. All airline tickets issued by Viking are refundable only to Viking, therefore, all tickets should be returned to: Viking,

Attention: Air Refunds. Viking will determine the amount of any refund due. If the air ticket is lost, the guest is responsible for the cost of its replacement.

Viking has no responsibility for altered travel plans caused by airline delays or for any act, omission or event occurring while not on board. Viking cannot

confirm airline seating assignments, add frequent flyer numbers to airline records or request special meals; these services should be arranged by a

guest’s travel agent or directly with the airline. Baggage fees may apply.

Physically Challenged Guests: You must report any disability requiring special attention while on your Viking River Cruise to Viking at the time the

reservation is made, All vessels and motorcoaches are equipped to European standards. Most transportation services, including the vessels and

motorcoaches, are not equipped with elevators or wheelchair ramps. Viking will make reasonable attempts to accommodate the special needs of

disabled travelers, but is not responsible in the event it is unable to do so nor is it responsible for any denial of services by vessel operators, air carriers,

hotels, restaurants, or other independent suppliers. We regret that we cannot provide individual assistance to a vacation participant for walking, dining,

getting on and off vessels, motorcoaches and other vehicles, or other personal needs. A qualified and physically able companion must accompany

travelers who need such assistance and must assume full responsibility for their well being. The passenger assumes the full risk of use and of any

prohibitions imposed by vendors. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable on international tours. Guests who have any medical, physical or other

special needs must contact Viking at 1-877-66VIKING to obtain our Policy Statement prior to the commencement of any Viking River Cruise or Viking

Tour.

California Seller of Travel: Viking is registered in California as a seller of travel. Viking’s seller of travel registration number is 2052644-40. Registration

as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by the State of California.

United States Tour Operations Association $1 Million Travelers Assistance Program: Viking, as an Active Member of USTOA, is required to post

$1 Million with USTOA to be used to reimburse, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the USTOA Travelers Assistance Program, the advance

payment of Viking’s customers in the unlikely event of Viking’s bankruptcy, insolvency or cessation of business. Further, you should understand that the

$1 Million posted by Viking may be sufficient to provide only a partial recovery of the advance payments received by Viking. Complete details of the

USTOA Travelers Assistance Program may be obtained in writing to USTOA at 275 Madison Ave, Suite 2014 New York, NY 10016 or by email to

information@ustoa.com, or by visiting their website at http://www.USTOA.com.

California Travel Consumer Restitution Fund: This transaction is covered by the California Travel Consumer Restitution Fund (TCRF) if the seller of

travel was registered and participating in the TCRF at the time of sale and if the guest is located in California at the time of payment. Eligible guests may

file a claim with TCRF if the guest is owed a refund of more than $50 for transportation or travel services which the seller of travel failed to forward to a proper provider or such money was not refunded to you when you required. The maximum amount which may be paid by the TCRF to any one guest is the total amount paid on behalf of the guest to the seller of travel, not to exceed $15,000. A claim must be submitted to the TCRF within six months after the scheduled completion date of the travel. A claim must include sufficient documentation to prove your claim and a $35 processing fee. Claimants must agree to waive their right to other civil remedies against a registered participating seller of travel for matters arising out of a sale for which you file a TCRF claim. You may request a claim form by writing to: Travel Consumer Restitution Corporation, P.O. Box 6001, Larkspur, CA 94977-6001; or online

at http://caag.state.ca.us/travel.

VRCINV10 DEC09

Now I am thinking...what corners did they cut on building those ships? Vikings integrity is so questionable. Are their ships even safe?

That's a remarkable accusation made presumably on the basis that your cruise was affected by 500 year high flooding.

This sort of statement detracts from your case rather than adding to it.

Toys and pram come to mind

I will copy and paste the carrier contract that we all " agree" to when we purchase a river cruise....
[/b] I have to admit to being very surprised to read that Viking DO NOT own their own ships. Was anyone else aware of this? They certainly have given the impression in the past that the Viking line in Europe was owned and operated by Viking. Seems that is not so.

Viking’s parent company is known as Viking River Cruises, Ltd. and under this umbrella there are subsidiary companies, which do own vessels. The portion of the Passenger Ticket Contract that has been copied and quoted here comes from the middle of the document, which does previously state the names of the Viking entities that make up the corporation.

Viking River Cruises, Inc. as you have quoted it, is specifically the U.S. sales subsidiary of the Viking corporation. And as stated, this subsidiary does not own the vessels.

We hope this explanation has been helpful in clearing up any confusion on whether or not Viking owns and/or operates vessels; the answer is, yes, we do. The full Passenger Ticket Contract can be found on our website here: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/about-your-trip/contract.aspx. We can also be reached at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Archived