Cunard announce new drinks menus

billyvegas

From the website: "The Cunard wine list has also been redesigned and to help passengers in choosing their favourite wine from our extensive collection, the wines have been listed by style instead of by country."

Is this an American family restaurant around the corner or Cunard?

Sorry, this is not an improvement. What kind of passengers are you looking for?

I too would prefer that Cunard kept the traditional wine list. I have never found the descriptions on these newer lists useful or even all that accurate. But I'm not terribly concerned about the change. More important than how the list is designed are the wines that are on it.

As for what sort of passengers might prefer the new format, perhaps the answer is the same folk who have traveled with us for years and who still need to ask the sommelier for help making the most elementary of choices.

From the website: "The Cunard wine list has also been redesigned and to help passengers in choosing their favourite wine from our extensive collection, the wines have been listed by style instead of by country."

Is this an American family restaurant around the corner or Cunard?

Sorry, this is not an improvement. What kind of passengers are you looking for?

When I want a wine, I want a red or white wine first, then I'll browse by country/region.

The new wine list is whites then Rose, then Reds, but within a style it's organized by country then region. I can live with that.

Do you mean to imply you want (e.g.) a French wine first before you decide red or white? I don't really see what your objection could be in practical terms.

PS: classifiying the Cabernet Savignons with Medium red wines is a bit puzzling, to me at least.

Do you mean to imply you want (e.g.) a French wine first before you decide red or white? I don't really see what your objection could be in practical terms.

Of course the first categorisation "red or white" is reasonable.

Yet if I want for example a white Burgundy I want to look at France subsection Burgundy

and I do not want to have to work through what ever somebody deems to be the right "style" definition I might not even agree with.

Now I find one white Burgundy under

Sommelier's Selection

MEDIUM & Fruity

Bourgogne Bl anc Les Sétill es, Ol ivier Lefl aive, Bu rgundy, France

one under the next set of subcategories

White Wine

Light, Crisp & Dry

FRAN CE

Burgundy

Bourgogne Aligoté, Domaine Roux Pére et Fils $

the next two under the next set of subcategories

White Wine

Medium & Fruity

FRAN CE

Burgundy

Bourgogne Blanc Les Sétilles, Olivier Leflaive

Chablis, Domaine Vincent Dampt

and some more under the next set of subcategories

White Wine

Fuller & Rich

FRAN CE

Burgundy

Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Abbaye de Morgeot, Olivier Leflaive

Meursault Vieilles Vignes, Domaine Roux Pére et Fils

Chablis 1er Cru Côte de Léchet, Domaine Vincent Dampt

Pernand-Vergelesses, Olivier Leflaive

Pouilly-Fuissé Le Moulin du Pont, Maison Auvique

Maybe I missed some of the wines with all these strange categories.

I am not much of a wine drinker, but I thought the job of a good sommelier was to know the wines and answer my questions. I thought part of the experience was discussing it with the sommelier rather than reading it all up and DIYing it. (Please be gentle when you correct my ignorance.)

Soft drinkers might have noticed this:

"Sodas $2.75

Cola, Diet Cola, Lemonade, Diet Lemonade,

Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, Club Soda Water,

Orange Soda, Ginger Beer"

Neither the brand is specified, nor is whether or not is from the tap or can. $2.75 + 15% added. That's one hell of a mark-up.

Soft drinkers might have noticed this:

"Sodas $2.75

Cola, Diet Cola, Lemonade, Diet Lemonade,

Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, Club Soda Water,

Orange Soda, Ginger Beer"

Neither the brand is specified, nor is whether or not is from the tap or can. $2.75 + 15% added. That's one hell of a mark-up.

In UK pubs they make a fortune on soft drinks on the tap thing. You normally pay about the same as a pint of bitter/lager, so about £3 or so for a coke or lemonade etc that is just fizzy water with a bit of syrup that costs about 1p. And of course there is no duty either. The profit margin is massive.

You are kidding with the "chintzy" pictures right, Cunard? The menus look like something from RCI. I also cannot find the particular vodka we liked in the Commodore Club - am I correct in seeing a reduction in brands?

I agree with others about the silly ways of categorising the wines - seems a step backward IMO.

I am not much of a wine drinker, but I thought the job of a good sommelier was to know the wines and answer my questions. I thought part of the experience was discussing it with the sommelier rather than reading it all up and DIYing it. (Please be gentle when you correct my ignorance.)

That would be part of the experience, but having just left QE, finding a sommelier who has time to discuss wines in the MDR is almost impossible as they have so many tables to cover. Even when we pre-ordered our wine the night before it usually arrived after the first course. Not blaming the sommelier - he was running round like the proverbial

MrsH

I too would prefer that Cunard kept the traditional wine list. I have never found the descriptions on these newer lists useful or even all that accurate. But I'm not terribly concerned about the change. More important than how the list is designed are the wines that are on it.

As for what sort of passengers might prefer the new format, perhaps the answer is the same folk who have traveled with us for years and who still need to ask the sommelier for help making the most elementary of choices.

Yikes. I'm new to this board, but this smacks of pretention. Am I a bad person because I need to ask the sommelier for help making the most elementary of choices? I didn't think there was a prerequisite wine knowlege for dining in QM2.

As the most amateur of oenophiles, I'm the last person to be pretentious about wine, or about anything else for that matter! I only meant to say that the previous poster's concern that the new wine list was intended to lure hordes of unsophisticated diners was unfounded. I apologize for not making that clear.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yikes. I'm new to this board, but this smacks of pretention. Am I a bad person because I need to ask the sommelier for help making the most elementary of choices? I didn't think there was a prerequisite wine knowlege for dining in QM2.

Nope, no prerequisite wine knowlege necessary- many of us were born winers :D

Anyway, welcome to the Cunard forum, Dianacm. Buckle up, it can be a bumpy ride, but mostly informative and often fun. Have you planned a Cunard voyage? I think you will find the on-board ship experience very different from the on-line experience.:) Cheers, -S.

As the most amateur of oenophiles, I'm the last person to be pretentious about wine, or about anything else for that matter! I only meant to say that the previous poster's concern that the new wine list was intended to lure hordes of unsophisticated diners was unfounded. I apologize for not making that clear.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree Thaxted. I sure wasn't lured and you'd be hard pressed to find a more unsophisticated diner than me. :D -S.

Fair enough. Apologies for my rush to judgment. We've sailed RCI, Celebrity and Disney, and July will mark our first voyage on QM2. We're looking forward to the journey and if this forum is any indication, traveling with those who are passionate about Cunard.

Hi Dianacm. On QM2, there is sometimes a very informal luncheon option available: Boardwalk Cafe (Deck 12, Stairwell D). It is only open when the weather is good. Chances are, you will find it open at some point during your cruise/voyage in July. The food (self-service) isn't anything to write home about, but it is an amazing place to sit and have a light lunch. Stay hungry until Tea Time in the Queen's Room. Casual attire, including pool-side attire (what's the correct term? -Beach wear?), is acceptable for lunch in the Boardwalk Cafe. But please, wear sunscreen. :)

[We've sailed RCI, Celebrity and Disney, and July will mark our first voyage on QM2.quote]

Just so you know - you may be about to get hooked!:D I hope you have a fabulous time on this fabulous ship.

Archived