Which Ports are the Fjordiest?

I'm planning on taking a Norwegian Fjords cruise next summer, and for once, I'm completely at a loss when it comes to ports of call. The ports don't have the same name recognition for me as, say, the Med, so I'm a bit lost for what/where to look for. Flam seems quite cool, with it's beautiful fjord and train excursion, but it's not on all itineraries... but maybe they have ports that are just as beautiful??

Now, I should say right now that this cruise will be part of a longer European trip, and so the dates I can sail will probably be limited by other non-cruise related factors. As well - and to a point, consequently - I will probably be looking at snagging some sort of last-minute deal, which if things go the way they are this year, seems to be possible (I know, I know, but a girl can hope, right???) That said, I'm trying to get a handle on the various itineraries so that I can prioritize which cruises to keep an eye on, and because I'm a bit of an obsessive planner... :D

To give this thread some focus (which I don't seem to have at the moment :rolleyes:), here are the ports from the itineraries I'm looking at (I'm looking at too many different itineraries right now to list them all individually):

Alesund

Andalsnes

Bergen

Eidfjord

Flåm

Geiranger

Hellesylt

Kristiansand

Olden

Oslo

Skjolden

Stavanger

I'm looking for stunning beauty - that can easily be seen from our private balcony :D (MamaTwick has wonky knees, so isn't into lots of physical activity). Maybe a few easy excursions that can be done on our own. Charming architecture wouldn't go amiss. And puffins. I would really like to see puffins.

Any and all opinions welcome!

The ones I have been to in the Fjords are

Flåm

Geiranger

Hellesylt

Other ports we have visited are

Bergen

Kristiansand

Oslo

Stavanger

Easily walkable around the town or a HOHO in Oslo/Bergen

It depends on how bad Mrs Twickenham's knees are

I did a bit of walking in those ports with 1 wonky knee

Just depends on what is of interest to you

Kristiansand they had a touirist train at the dock for a small fee to take you to the downtown are with shops & a nice church to look in

I'm planning on taking a Norwegian Fjords cruise next summer, and for once, I'm completely at a loss when it comes to ports of call. The ports don't have the same name recognition for me as, say, the Med, so I'm a bit lost for what/where to look for. Flam seems quite cool, with it's beautiful fjord and train excursion, but it's not on all itineraries... but maybe they have ports that are just as beautiful??

Alesund

Andalsnes

Bergen

Eidfjord

Flåm

Geiranger

Hellesylt

Kristiansand

Olden

Oslo

Skjolden

Stavanger

Now, I should say right now that this cruise will be part of a longer European trip, and so the dates I can sail will probably be limited by other non-cruise related factors. As well - and to a point, consequently - I will probably be looking at snagging some sort of last-minute deal, which if things go the way they are this year, seems to be possible (I know, I know, but a girl can hope, right???) That said, I'm trying to get a handle on the various itineraries so that I can prioritize which cruises to keep an eye on, and because I'm a bit of an obsessive planner...

To give this thread some focus (which I don't seem to have at the moment, here are the ports from the itineraries I'm looking at (I'm looking at too many different itineraries right now to list them all individually) I'm looking for stunning beauty - that can easily be seen from our private balcony. (MamaTwick has wonky knees, so isn't into lots of physical activity). Maybe a few easy excursions that can be done on our own. Charming architecture wouldn't go amiss. And puffins. I would really like to see puffins. Any and all opinions welcome!

As detailed on the below live/blog with lots of pictures, we have been to Alesund, Bergen, Flåm and Hellesylt-Geiranger, plus many other stops in our cruise all of the way up the Norway coast to the North Cape, seeing lots of puffins there, doing the great, dramatic Lofoten Islands, etc. We also visited Oslo in July 2008 as a part of a Baltics/Russia cruise. No dramatic "real fjords" there in Oslo. Nice city in a so-called fjord, but nothing too dramatic there.

Yes, Flam is wonderful for its rail adventure and wonderful scenery. We did Hellesylt-Geiranger that allowed us to do a "Roof of Norway" tour between these two stops and saw lots of interesting sights, loving the "up country" looks, etc.

You can always look and hope for a last-minute deal, but the better cruises in this area do tend to book up earlier and might not be available when you seek and hope. The better weather tends to be in July, plus a little earlier and slight later. In May and September, the options are more limited and the weather can be more iffy.

Below are some visual samples, including for the wonderful puffins. The blunt reality is that to see "more" on your wish list means going farther north than just a cruise in the southern part of this coastal area where many fjords are located. How do you balance your budget desires . . . versus . . . being able to do/see more, sail farther north, etc.??

Below are some added notes, pictures, etc. Tell us more for your reactions, comments, added questions, etc.

Our cruise went in the morning to nearby Helleysylt. From that part of the fjords, we did a ship tour called “Overland from Hellesylt to Geiranger”, an eight-hour adventure. We saw stunning natural beauty of the “Roof of Norway’”. This drive went through the verdant hills and into the mountains. This includes the Raftevold Hotel, overlooking the Hornindals-Vannet Lake at approximately 1,700 feet. This crystal-clear lake is as deep as Lake Tahoe. Then we went to the emerald-colored Styrn Lake, seeing near the Jostedalen Glacier, Buldrefossen Waterfall; going up the Styrnefjell Road, a masterpiece of engineering that opened in 1895. It has nineteen hairpin turns and then we cross the Jølbrua Bridge, located 328 feet above a gorge., one of Norway’s most spectacular views. We stopped at the Jostedalsbreen National Park with great views, even on a cloudy and foggy day. The rains had stopped by this point in the tour. This park has the largest glacier on the European mainland and covers 510 sq. miles with the glaciers covering about 310 sq. miles. The main visitor's "centre" building was constructed in a manner similar to Viking longhouses where pillars rather than the walls are supporting the roof. This Centre in Oppstryn shows how the glacier and the landscape were shaped by water and ice through films, videos, computer programs and models. Its website for more information is:

http://www.jostedalsbre.no/engelsk/senter.htm After lunch at the Videseter Hotel, we drove past the Tystigen Glacier, saw a popular summer skiing site before reaching Mt. Dalsnibba. There was a photo stop is at a 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. But that day, the mountain top was fogged over. Sorry! That can happen A small village with a population of about 600, Hellesylt lies at the head of the Sunnylvsfjord, which is a branch of the Storfjord (Great Fjord) and nearby to the famous Geirangerfjord. Mountains and valleys surround the village, the settings of Ibsen's play, Brand.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

Alesund’s architecture is characterized by its turrets, spires, medieval-romantic frontages . and other whimsical touches that give this town its distinctive style. It is like something from a fairytale. On the night of January 23, 1904, the town, built largely of wood, was totally destroyed at night by gale-aided flames. Only one person died, but more than 10,000 people were left without shelter. Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm vacationed nearby and sent four warships with materials to build temporary shelters. The town was rebuilt in stone, brick and mortar in Jugendstil or Art Nouveau, the architectural style of the time. This design reflects a “romance with the past” and highlights Nordic mythology along its winding streets. To honor Wilhelm, one of the most frequented streets of the city is named after him. The town has an unusually consistent architecture, most of the buildings having been built between 1904 and 1907.

More Alesund area info at:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,564 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Sailing from the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, this is the first of many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

Here is a different view as you are sailing from Geiranger and approaching the famed “Seven Sisters”. This is the view from the top of the ship as we are turning in this narrow fjord and first seeing some of this famous waterfall. Great majesty from nature in an amazing setting. This is the 39th tallest waterfall in Norway. The waterfall consists of seven separate streams, and it is located four miles west of Geiranger. The tallest of the seven has a free fall that measures 820’. The total height above the water from the top is 1,350'. The legend is that the seven sisters dance playfully down the mountain, while a single waterfall opposite, the Suitor, a male onlooker, flirts playfully from across the fjord.:

GeirFjord7SistersApproach.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

There are two fjords on the UNESCO world heritage list: Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord. So you could consider those the "fjordiest."

Geirangerfjord is quite beautiful and your ship will transit the UNESCO listed fjord on the way in and out of a Geiranger port call. (Hellesylt is basically just a drop-off port for people doing longer overland excursions around Geiranger, so I wouldn't really consider that a port. It sounds like you would be better served staying on the ship for the scenery on both the sail-in and sail-out (especially if you have a side-facing balcony) rather than doing an overland trip.) I would recommend finding a way to get up into the hills around Geiranger (either on a ship's excursion, or I believe there's a HOHO bus in the high season now, since it sounds like a rigorous 45-minute uphill hike is probably not an option.) The view looking down into the fjord is much different than the sea-level view and very spectacular. Views from above the fjords are pretty much picture-postcard Norway.

Nærøyfjord means "narrow fjord," and it is the steepest, narrowest fjord in the world. It's actually a small side fjord off the Sognefjord near Flåm, but only a few small ships call at Gudvangen - the town at the end of that particular fjord. The Sognefjord sail-in to Flåm is pretty and will definitely give you some very nice iconic scenery, but it's not quite as dramatic as Geiranger.

Bergen and Stavanger are both cities by Norwegian standards, and you will have some scenic cruising on the way in and out, but it will not be fjord sailing as both are on the coast. It's more sailing through small coastal islands. However, both have some nice culture and history and are small and easily explored on your own.

As much as I love Oslo, I think it fits better on a Baltic sailing than a Norwegian fjords trip. You will lose a few days of valuable cruising time getting around to Oslo from the west coast. Although Oslo is technically on a fjord (the Oslofjord), this fjord is huge and doesn't look at all like the dramatic western fjords. There are 2-hours of scenic cruising getting into Oslo from the open sea, but it's more typical coastal scenery with small hills and a few islands, rather than the towering steep fjord walls on either side. It's a very easy city to navigate by public transit, and there's plenty to see, but it's not very fjordy!

Kristiansand is also more of a coastal town rather than a fjord destination.

The rest are an assortment of ports in fjord country. Eidfjord would have you sailing down the Hardangerfjord, Skjolden is another side fjord from Sognefjord in a different direction than Flåm, and Olden takes you through Nordfjord and is one of the closest ports to the Jostedalsbreen glacier.

Andalsnes and Ålesund are closer to the outer coast, so you wouldn't have as much fjord sailing on the way in.

Oh, and as for puffins, I think you'll have better chances if you head farther north beyond the fjord region.

Thank you all for your responses and wonderful pictures (with a special nod to kaisatsu for running with my lame wordplay ;)). It really is helpful to get a better concept of what's on offer.

The blunt reality is that to see "more" on your wish list means going farther north than just a cruise in the southern part of this coastal area where many fjords are located. How do you balance your budget desires . . . versus . . . being able to do/see more, sail farther north, etc.??

Well, that is the issue, isn't it? Ultimately, I think schedule/time will be the deciding factor, for as much as I would love to take one of the 10-14 day cruises that goes all the way up to, say Tromso, I'm not sure I'll have the available vacation days for that. So, what I'm trying to do is get an idea of what's on offer, and try to prioritize.

As for puffins, maybe I can get myself over to Newfoundland or something... :D

As for puffins, maybe I can get myself over to Newfoundland or something... :D

Probably easier for you to do the Gaspe area than northern Norway ;)

A long weekend may do the trick

Terry, as usual, your photos are beautiful, and narrative quite helpful. We go to Aalesund and Geiranger in about a month - can't wait.

You have a photo of a black and white lighthouse - was that anywhere near the Aalesund/Geiranger area? I'm a bit lighthouse nut and would love to see it. I know there are a couple on islands on the approach to Aalesund, but that's about all I've found so far that we might possibly see.

To the original poster: I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread to get a reply from Terry! By the way, I was told that, as to puffin sightings, things really slack off considerably starting in early August in both the Shetland Islands (Scotland) and Runde Island, which I believe is Scotland, too, but reachable by fast boat from Aalesund.

Well, that is the issue, isn't it? Ultimately, I think schedule/time will be the deciding factor, for as much as I would love to take one of the 10-14 day cruises that goes all the way up to, say Tromso, I'm not sure I'll have the available vacation days for that. So, what I'm trying to do is get an idea of what's on offer, and try to prioritize. As for puffins, maybe I can get myself over to Newfoundland or something... :D[/color][/size][/font]

Yes, that old questions of "time versus money" can be challenging. To do the North Cape, Lofoten Island, north of Arctic Circle, etc., does take more time. No way around it. Can't make that happen in just a one week or even a ten-day cruise. Good luck in your planning.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,836 views.

Terry, as usual, your photos are beautiful, and narrative quite helpful. We go to Aalesund and Geiranger in about a month - can't wait. You have a photo of a black and white lighthouse - was that anywhere near the Aalesund/Geiranger area? I'm a bit lighthouse nut and would love to see it. I know there are a couple on islands on the approach to Aalesund, but that's about all I've found so far that we might possibly see. To the original poster: I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread to get a reply from Terry! By the way, I was told that, as to puffin sightings, things really slack off considerably starting in early August in both the Shetland Islands (Scotland) and Runde Island, which I believe is Scotland, too, but reachable by fast boat from Aalesund.

Appreciate your added and nice comments. The only recent posting that had a lighthouse, maybe, was the one from the sail-out area south of Oslo. See below. Is that what you were thinking of seeing previously?

Sorry, not close to Alesund/Geiranger, nor the western coastal areas. Any other hints if that picture is not the one?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,836 views.

Here is a closer look at that unique and cute Oslo harbor island with its special structure. Doesn't look exactly like a lighthouse, but it is very interesting!!:

OsloHarborIsleBldgCute_zps6e808766.jpg

We've been to:

Alesund - lovely art nouveau port. You can walk from the pier to the center of town and take a tourist train trip to the overlook.

Bergen - the "big city." Nice HoHo bus and you can take a ride on the funicular.

Geiranger - tiny town -- really just a few shops and tourist bureau in a beautiful fjord. Great views of the waterfalls from your balcony. This was my husband's favorite port.

Olden - another pretty fjord. Town with good walking paths to the "new" church (old church is near the port) and rapids.

Oslo - big big city. Ships dock just below the fortress which has a very interesting Resistance Museum. Have visited the museum twice and would go back again.

Skjolden - tiny town. My favorite fjord. Trip is 125 miles and just beautiful. Sat on the balcony for hours.

Stavanger - bustling community with bright white wooden houses. Tucked behind the Cannery Museum is a workers cottage that is open to the public.

So for the fjordiest I'd vote either Geiranger or Skjolden.

Some links to my recent videos from Vision of the Seas Norwegian Fjords, June 2013: Alesund, Geiranger, Flam, Bergen - and Oslo Fjord, june 2011

Alesund, Link to video:

alesund.jpg

Storfjord and Geiranger Fjord, Link to video:

geiranger_fjord.jpg

Geiranger, Link to video:

geiranger.jpg

Sognefjord and ndsfjord, Link to video:

sognefjord.jpg

Flam, Link to video:

Flam Railway, Link to video:

flam_rail.jpg

Bergen. Link to video:

bergen.jpg

Crusing Oslo Fjord, Vision of the Seas, June 2011

Link to video:

There are two fjords on the UNESCO world heritage list: Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord. So you could consider those the "fjordiest."

Geirangerfjord is quite beautiful and your ship will transit the UNESCO listed fjord on the way in and out of a Geiranger port call. (Hellesylt is basically just a drop-off port for people doing longer overland excursions around Geiranger, so I wouldn't really consider that a port. It sounds like you would be better served staying on the ship for the scenery on both the sail-in and sail-out (especially if you have a side-facing balcony) rather than doing an overland trip.) I would recommend finding a way to get up into the hills around Geiranger (either on a ship's excursion, or I believe there's a HOHO bus in the high season now, since it sounds like a rigorous 45-minute uphill hike is probably not an option.) The view looking down into the fjord is much different than the sea-level view and very spectacular. Views from above the fjords are pretty much picture-postcard Norway.

Nærøyfjord means "narrow fjord," and it is the steepest, narrowest fjord in the world. It's actually a small side fjord off the Sognefjord near Flåm, but only a few small ships call at Gudvangen - the town at the end of that particular fjord. The Sognefjord sail-in to Flåm is pretty and will definitely give you some very nice iconic scenery, but it's not quite as dramatic as Geiranger.

Bergen and Stavanger are both cities by Norwegian standards, and you will have some scenic cruising on the way in and out, but it will not be fjord sailing as both are on the coast. It's more sailing through small coastal islands. However, both have some nice culture and history and are small and easily explored on your own.

Andalsnes and Ålesund are closer to the outer coast, so you wouldn't have as much fjord sailing on the way in.

Thanks so much for the details. We will be on the Emerald Princess cruise on Aug 9, 2014 out of Southampton with stops at Stavanger, Alesund, Flam, and Bergen. Sad that Gerainger is not on the itinerary but I really want to go on the Flam railway :)

Flam would be tops in our travels so far.

Alaskanb: Thanks so much for the details. We will be on the Emerald Princess cruise on Aug 9' date=' 2014 out of Southampton with stops at Stavanger, Alesund, Flam, and Bergen. Sad that Gerainger is not on the itinerary but [b']I really want to go on the Flam railway[/b]

YES, the Flam rail trip and nearby fjord areas are super wonderful. Below are a few of my visuals and details from there and in this excellent area.

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” The chief attraction here is the 73-year-old Flam Railway. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. In 2010, this railway was chosen as one of the top ten most beautiful train journeys in Europe by National Geographic Traveler Magazine. In 2012, there was a new passenger record of 635,368 riders carried. That is a big jump up in ridership from 475K in 2005 and 380K in 1994.

Railroad website with more history and technical details for its construction, operations: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,955 views.

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Here is also the view at the hotel deck of the nearby mountains. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

FlamHotelDeckMount.jpg

After visiting Flam, here are some more samples of the spectacular Sognerfjord as sailed to our afternoon in nearby Gudvangen.:

FjordMntskyView.jpg

FjordMntWfallFarmView.jpg

Thanks again for all the wonderful pictures - visuals does make it easier to plan!

Flam would be tops in our travels so far.

The more I see/read, the more I'm thinking it's going to be my 'must-have' port...

Some links to my recent videos from Vision of the Seas Norwegian Fjords, June 2013: Alesund, Geiranger, Flam, Bergen - and Oslo Fjord, june 2011

Gorgeous videos! Thank you so much!

Sad that Gerainger is not on the itinerary but I really want to go on the Flam railway :)

That's really the issue, and the main reason I started this thread: it's a real give-and-take with all the different itineraries out there. It's all about choice, and prioritizing...

Thanks Terry! Here's hoping for such lovely weather --if not the rain gear will be with us!

Twickenham: Thanks again for all the wonderful pictures - visuals does make it easier to plan!

Appreciate the comments from Twickenham. Yes' date=' visuals do make a difference. [/i'] That is one of the reasons why I like the Eyewitness and Insight books. Seeing is believing. Easier than just reading lots of text.

Good luck to Alaskanb for your Norway weather. Remember, you might get some rain on that day, but it might be there and pass in an hour or so . . . hopefully!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,955 views.

Archived