update on little boy who nearly drown on disney ship

hlb76

You're absolutely right. Interestingly, an African-American Olympic gold medal winner (Culllen Jones) learned how to swim after a near drowning and now he sponsors, with conjunction with USA Swimming, a program geared to that community. I guess I just have a very healthy respect for the water.

Reading the posts I realized it was not geared towards other races and cultures. My kids are competitive swimmers (da Amish part I guess) and i still hear I that I chose a 'white' sport. Let's put this out there, you are African American and spent a day and a few hundred dollars to get your hair done, you ain't getting it wet, unless the Amish or some other side side insist on it from the get go. We are not spending that much time around sun and water since many don't need the tan. Certain things go beyond money but buried deep into race and culture.

Just a different perspective.

where you all are getting your stats from. I am black, my family is black. Friends black, wife black, kids black and most of thier friends black and they all swim. I have a pool at my house, my sister has a pool at her house. You all are spreading a myth.

My prayers go out to the young kid and his family! May God comfort you all!

Reading the posts I realized it was not geared towards other races and cultures. My kids are competitive swimmers (da Amish part I guess) and i still hear I that I chose a 'white' sport. Let's put this out there, you are African American and spent a day and a few hundred dollars to get your hair done, you ain't getting it wet, unless the Amish or some other side side insist on it from the get go. We are not spending that much time around sun and water since many don't need the tan. Certain things go beyond money but buried deep into race and culture.

True :D:D From one swim mom to another.

Having been at Disneyworld hotels many times, and on 3 Disney cruises, we have seen how well-trained their lifeguards are. We constantly watched the lifeguard supervisors throw in "dummy" children/adults, or shirts stuffed with weights, and then they time the lifeguards to see how long it takes them to react, whistle the accident in, and get the "body" out. The lifeguard supervisors actually asked my husband to "go under" and hold his breathe as long as possible, (at Wilderness Lodge) to see if he was spotted and rescued within the time limit. He was spotted (in a crowded pool) and "rescued" very quickly. That being said, my prayers go out to the family of the little boy.

where you all are getting your stats from. I am black, my family is black. Friends black, wife black, kids black and most of thier friends black and they all swim. I have a pool at my house, my sister has a pool at her house. You all are spreading a myth.

Good for them, not myth but numbers. SMH, how will it change if we won't even acknowledge. I will take back the part about da hair, that might just be ME.

The numbers stand for themselves, 70 percent of African American children are non-swimmer, 3 out of 10, almost twice that of whites. Where is the myth because 100 percent of mine can????

http://blogs.ajc.com/momania/2013/06/11/report-70-percent-african-american-kids-cant-swim-often-fear-passed-down-by-parents/

http://www.atlantadailyworld.com/201306136746/Original/is-parents-fear-the-reason-70-percent-of-black-children-can-t-swim

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/more-blacks-learn-to-swim-but-numbers-are-still-lacking/article_ad4ed0de-d03f-57f3-8258-700298524c76.html

Handsome, gorgeous, whoever here are the stats you asked for. I ASSUME you are younger and among the rising number. Also old fold don't go with use screen name like handsome!

Lets work together to acknowledge and change this!

to debate. My Prayers goes to the family and thier young kid in his brave fight!

As mine does but also acknowledge the kids are who also at risk of this happening.

Please use the stats you asked for in hopes of changing the numbers.

7 out of 10 is not a myth but a sad and harsh reality.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-05-01-swimming-minorities_N.htm?POE=click-refer

3x more likely to drown.

SHM!

Oh, wow.:(

All moms everywhere can remember a time when they lost sight of their child(ren) for a second and, thankfully, nothing bad happened. They can certainly put themsleves in this Mom's shoes.

My heart goes out to this family!

I consider myself a very good mom. BUT yes, I can recall a time or times that I have lost sight of my child for a second. My heart goes out to this mom.

My prayers and thoughts out to everyone who has lost a love one to near drowning.. one of the hardest things one has to endure.

I worked in a long term nursing home for children...a lot were near drowning, --

these little ones were unattended for a quick minute or two. Yes, they were all caucasian and one teen (who knew how to swim) she was african american.

Most of these precious children that I was truly blessed to have in my life were in a semi-veggie state. All were a true unfortunate accident.

As for swimming lessons... don't judge.. cause nobody knows who had them and don't. For those did have swimming lessons...you can still be a victim of drowning.

First things first...... I hope this little boy makes a full recovery.

Secondly, to all the parents that shared their accidents with us, may god be with you.

My daughter was born in 1983, at 3 months old I took her to the Y for swimming lessons. It was the best thing I ever did. She was always so much fun in the water and I'm glad we always had good memories around a pool.

She was stabbed while walking with my father down at the Baltimore zoo in 86 by some little boy carrying a razor blade. She was HOLDING his hand and this still happened.

Not a myth.

"A recent study commissioned by the USA Swimming Foundation and conducted by the University of Memphis found that nearly 70% of African American children and nearly 60% of Hispanic children have low or no swim ability, compared to 40% of Caucasians, putting them at risk for drowning."

Excerpt from this site

Hopefully someone 'handsome' is better informed as a result of it. As parents we feel the lost and can only hope never again because of swim lessons and being more vigilant. We can't change what we don't recognize and we don't want this to keep happening. The wonderful power of the internet.

Secondly, to all the parents that shared their accidents with us, may god be with you.

My daughter was born in 1983, at 3 months old I took her to the Y for swimming lessons. It was the best thing I ever did. She was always so much fun in the water and I'm glad we always had good memories around a pool.

She was stabbed while walking with my father down at the Baltimore zoo in 86 by some little boy carrying a razor blade. She was HOLDING his hand and this still happened.

I am so sorry that happened to her. No guarantees in life, no matter how well we try to protect them.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Did she survive? Not being nosy but lost my boy at 21, his bd is on Sunday. Even after 6 years its not easy. It's tough because after the funeral you are supposed to be just fine. Toss 21 years of good times and your done. Mb being a single dad and putting him on and off the bus for years I get some credit. But no don't bring it up around family and friends. Get over that was 6?years ago. Ok carry on , sorry to be a buzzkill. .

Not a myth.

"A recent study commissioned by the USA Swimming Foundation and conducted by the University of Memphis found that nearly 70% of African American children and nearly 60% of Hispanic children have low or no swim ability, compared to 40% of Caucasians, putting them at risk for drowning."

Excerpt from this site

We actually have a lot of surf groups that give lessons. Free every weekend. Just had one for wounded warriors. It was 13 surfers for each ww.

I realize these are more about self esteem. But the wounded smile all day.

You should probably look up the stats.

But I taught my youngest to swim at 4.

It didn't stop some kid from holding her under the water when she was 6, not 5 feet from me on a Carnival ship.

It's funny that you say that because many of my close friends and relatives feel the same way. One of my co-workers and I took swim lessons a few years back and truth be told, I didn't at all have an issue with the hair getting wet. Even more so now that I'm "natural". My co-worker, on the other hand, was trying her best to keep her head (and hair) above water.

My son took swim lessons at the YMCA and I'm about to sign him up for "refresher" courses. He can swim somewhat but I'd feel better if he was just a little stronger at it.

I truly feel for the family of that little boy and I continue to pray for his recovery.

Archived