update on little boy who nearly drown on disney ship

hlb76

Oh, wow.:(

All moms everywhere can remember a time when they lost sight of their child(ren) for a second and, thankfully, nothing bad happened. They can certainly put themsleves in this Mom's shoes.

My heart goes out to this family!

True ... it's happened to the most careful of us!

My prayers on the way for this little boy and his family....

LuLu

~~~~

No doubt that kids can be gone in nanosecond, but I did have to comment on this. Swimming lessons are very inexpensive at the local Y or Park and Rec department. In some communities they are even offered free of charge. It is absolutely imperative that children are taught to swim.

Swim lessons are no guarantee.

From age 3 to age 12 I went to day camp 5 days a week for 8 weeks of summer vacation. Starting at age 3, I had swim lessons every day of camp, weather permitting. During our "free swim" period, campers were confined to the shallow end of the pool until they could pass the swim instructor's "deep water" test. Of course I passed the test. In other words, I was a fairly good swimmer.

I must have been 10 when it happened. Public pool in my neighborhood. Jumped off the high board, hit the water feet first. I don't know what happened, but for some reason I panicked when I hit the water, and the life guard had to jump in to rescue me.

No doubt that kids can be gone in nanosecond, but I did have to comment on this. Swimming lessons are very inexpensive at the local Y or Park and Rec department. In some communities they are even offered free of charge. It is absolutely imperative that children are taught to swim.

Not at the y in my area. And I have the brochure they mail me every summer to prove it. Nothing inexpensive about it. And as far as any free lessons, I know of no such thing in these parts for a family like mine with two working parents. And I do my local research. Fortunately for my kids, we can afford the lessons at the swim program through our school system, so our kids have been getting lessons. I don't question the lifelong value in knowing how to swim, but I know from experience that lessons aren't always accessible for everyone. $85 per kid for 5 weeks isn't cheap nor free. More at the Y since you have to also become a member first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Not at the y in my area. And I have the brochure they mail me every summer to prove it. Nothing inexpensive about it. And as far as any free lessons, I know of no such thing in these parts for a family like mine with two working parents. And I do my local research. Fortunately for my kids, we can afford the lessons at the swim program through our school system, so our kids have been getting lessons. I don't question the lifelong value in knowing how to swim, but I know from experience that lessons aren't always accessible for everyone. $85 per kid for 5 weeks isn't cheap nor free. More at the Y since you have to also become a member first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I guess I consider 85. for five weeks of lessons to be fairly inexpensive, especially compared to cigarettes and acrylic nails and other things that people spend money on. And in response to songbird, no, swim lessons are no guarantee against panic but again in my opinion they are imperative.

Living in Florida I am always amazed at people who allow their children (and themselves) to be around water with no swimming skills, tourists and locals (usually grandparents) alike.

Editing to add: A previous poster who commented on the danger of an overly crowded pool hit the nail on the head. I would not let a small child in a pool in those conditions. Both of my children were lifeguards and there is a reason that they have limits on the number of people that can be in the pool or even on the pool deck at any given time.

Gee, my father taught me to swim. Didn't need any expensive lessons.

It is very common in my area for kids to not know how to swim. We don't have a lot of access to water. Many parents don't swim, they wouldn't be able to teach their kids- lessons are how they teach them, if the kids learn at all.

Now, someone with the money to go on a Disney cruise would likely have money for swim lessons, but I don't know what got them on the cruise. Maybe they didn't pay. So I won't judge.

Besides, the boy may have known how to swim. We don't know what happened, and in a crowded pool and a hectic situation, knowing how to swim is no guarantee. He was young, so I doubt he had much in the way of self-rescue skills.

I was taught in motel pools across the country on vacations. You don't need local access to water to learn. It is an essential skill. Even very young children can learn the basics to flip on their back and float. But, in a crowded pool, he probably went in and right to the bottom. Very sad.

I was taught in motel pools across the country on vacations. You don't need local access to water to learn. It is an essential skill.

I agree children should learn to swim, and the fact that this kid was on a Disney cruise probably (but not necessarily) puts him in an SES bracket, where he really should have access- but the idea of staying in motels, while on a vacation trip is completely foreign to the kids I am thinking of who cannot swim. If the schools don't open for breakfast and lunch during the summer, they are likely to miss meals. Swimming is a complete luxury.

They very well might go 'wading' and have played in water they can stand in, but these children, and their parents, and their grandparents, are not able to swim.

Besides- this kid was only 4. Lots of kids don't start swimming lessons until they are 5 or 6, others start at 3 or younger. But there are plenty of 4 year olds who can't swim, and there are plenty of instances where parents lose track of their children for a moment. Most of them just don't go bad.

I feel very sad for this family.

My daughters are 22 and almost 21. As toddlers, they could disappear in an instant. Like when I was standing at the supermarket cash register, opened my bag to pull out my wallet and realized my daughter was no longer at my side, but was looking at a toy display several aisles away. that was maybe 10-15 seconds. :rolleyes:

I guess I wasn't a good parent and should consider myself lucky she lived to adulthood?????

When my son was 4 years old he found a way to jiggle the screen door and unlatch the hook. He took off and I went screaming every where for him. It was the most horrifying experience. I found him hiding between two cars. I sat on the steps of our house with him sitting on my lap and I just cried and cried. I only know how I felt and I know how deeply hurt and guilty his parents must feel. My son is 39 and I still tell him about it every so often. We are lucky songbird and so is the parents of that child.

Lucky you. Swimming lessons here start at about $200-250 for six lessons, and that's at the Y or parks department. Neither cheap, nor enough lessons to master swimming in one session.

I can never assume anyone else will have their eyes on my child. My friend's godson drowned last July 4th at a crowded party because everyone assumed someone else was watching him. So tragic.

I guess I consider 85. for five weeks of lessons to be fairly inexpensive, especially compared to cigarettes and acrylic nails and other things that people spend money on. And in response to songbird, no, swim lessons are no guarantee against panic but again in my opinion they are imperative.

Living in Florida I am always amazed at people who allow their children (and themselves) to be around water with no swimming skills, tourists and locals (usually grandparents) alike.

Editing to add: A previous poster who commented on the danger of an overly crowded pool hit the nail on the head. I would not let a small child in a pool in those conditions. Both of my children were lifeguards and there is a reason that they have limits on the number of people that can be in the pool or even on the pool deck at any given time.

Well I neither smoke or have acrylic nails so I don't know what that was supposed to mean nor is it relevant. When you have two kids yes that amount is expensive plus other fees attached and two sessions each, which is what the center recommends for beginners. and the Y is MUCH higher. The point I was making is that swimming "lessons" are not necessarily accessible and affordable and nobody should assume so. Lots of kids learn in other less formal ways and make out fine. It's whatever you as a child have access and exposure to. The ability to swim is priceless but there's nothing saying they prevent every tragic accident. I totally agree about crowded pools. Just not safe; especially for small children who can easily and innocently go unnoticed.

Again my best wishes for this child and the family and friends who will continue needing strength to support him.

When my son was 8 we went to the public pool all the time and was always right there with him. We don't know how it happened, but it happened. Next thing we saw was a guy carrying our limp, blue, child out of the water. He was dead, no heart beat, not breathing. The life guards didn't know CPR, etc. Thank God that there was 2 angels there. They got him breathing about 5 mins. later, but he was not conscious. Not like you see on TV when they revive the victim.

They Life Flighted him and we were told that there is no possibility that he would come out of this with no brain damage, IF he came to. Well...days later I was resting in the family lounge just outside the children's ICU. They called me and said that somebody was asking for their mommy.

Today he is a 33 yr. old Electrical Engineer! We did see a different personality in him, but "normal" whatever normal is. The doctors say it was a miracle!

This is hope for this little boy that he will recover as quickly! BTW, my son remembers nothing about the accident. The doctors told us that he would never remember because those brain cells are dead. I think that's best. He did go back in the water the same week we came home from the hospital, but we NEVER returned to the City pool.

My prayers are with these poor parents. You're never the same after something like this. We were good parents! Our kids are everything to us!

When my son was 8 we went to the public pool all the time and was always right there with him. We don't know how it happened, but it happened. Next thing we saw was a guy carrying our limp, blue, child out of the water. He was dead, no heart beat, not breathing. The life guards didn't know CPR, etc. Thank God that there was 2 angels there. They got him breathing about 5 mins. later, but he was not conscious. Not like you see on TV when they revive the victim.

They Life Flighted him and we were told that there is no possibility that he would come out of this with no brain damage, IF he came to. Well...days later I was resting in the family lounge just outside the children's ICU. They called me and said that somebody was asking for their mommy.

Today he is a 33 yr. old Electrical Engineer! We did see a different personality in him, but "normal" whatever normal is. The doctors say it was a miracle!

This is hope for this little boy that he will recover as quickly! BTW, my son remembers nothing about the accident. The doctors told us that he would never remember because those brain cells are dead. I think that's best. He did go back in the water the same week we came home from the hospital, but we NEVER returned to the City pool.

My prayers are with these poor parents. You're never the same after something like this. We were good parents! Our kids are everything to us!

Thank God!! Thanks for sharing.:)

This story is heartbreaking.

I have a sister who is 14 yrs younger than me and when I was 17, I took her to the town pool (a very small town pool just a bit bigger than a backyard pool) and I was sitting on the ledge about 3 feet from her while she was in the pool- IN A SWIM RING with my older friend's kids and she slipped out of the ring. Next thing I know the life guard and I are jumping in the pool. Thankfully she was only under for a few seconds (and she thought it was funny) but it was the scariest thing to know that I almost killed my sister.

Accidents happen, let's save the family our judgement and just offer our prayers that this little boy recovers.

Prayers for this family.

A four-year-old should know how to swim? That is the minimum age you can begin lessons at our local rec pool and my child took several six-week sessions before she even began to swim. I have spent a lot of time trying to teach my younger child, but I'm pretty sure she would panic and sink if she fell into a deep pool at age four.

Drowning can happen very quickly and silently with no splashing.

As for ordering a child to stay put, some children do unexpected things. We watched a child who was about six being rescued by a lifeguard immediately after going under water at our local pool this week. While the father was signing the incident report, the child dashed off, ran up the stairs, and would have gone right back down the slide into the deep end had his father not caught him.

EVERYONE who is physically and mentally capable of doing CPR, should learn CPR. Either American Heart Association or American Red Cross. It just takes a few hours and it's not expensive. If someone needs CPR, and no bystanders step up to help, by the time the EMTs get there, it will most likely be too late. Learn CPR!

This article on the instinctive drowning response is worth reading. Be sure to click on the video at the end, which shows how easy it is to overlook someone drowning if you don't know what to look for. Don't worry, someone comes to the person's rescue.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

The Lykkens regularly update Chase's Facebook page. He is very lucky to be alive. Apparently his family lost track of him for quite awhile, and he either jumped or fell into one of the pools and was under for several minutes before someone saw him, the pool was THAT crowded. If there hadn't been some people RIGHT THERE who knew CPR, Chase would be dead. As it is he has a long road ahead of him, but he's making progress and hopefully, eventually, will make a full recovery.

Thanks everyone for sharing all the near-misses they have had. I don't think any of us have not had a near miss in our life. Maybe it was a near miss as a parent, sibling, friend or even for ourselves.

I know how scared I was when I lost my oldest in a store once. We where shopping at the local mall. I was in the kids section picking out stuff for my son. He was in the mall stroller happy as can be. I picked out and outfit for him and asked him if he liked it. He agreed and I noticed I grabbed the wrong size. As long as it took me to hang it and grab the correct size he was gone. I looked around for him and was looking under all the racks where he has hidden before. Of course I could not find a worker in sight to help search. I frantically yelled and searched to no avail/ I finally went out of the store to check outside the mall and sure enough he was by the wishing well watching the water. Who knows what could of happened. He had left the store we where in and went to the center of the mall ( which was right outside the store I was in). I was a mess but happy to have found him. 15 years later I remember it like yesterday.

My youngest we had a more serious accident. We where at Underwater World at the MOA. He had made it through the whole display. We had 6 in our group 3 adults 3 kids. They had one last display to look at right by the escolater. It was a hands on type thing and the kids took turns trying it out. Ethan was just there touching and using the display. Next thing I know my oldest was yelling Ethan NO! I turn around and here is is holding on to the outside of the escolater riding up. He was 4-5 feet in the air before I realized what was going on. My hubby jumped into action and ran up trying to catch him. My BIL yelled Stop the Escolater and I froze watching hiom get higher and higher and then to the top and he had no choice but to let go and I watched him fall crashing to the ground. Then I was able to move and get to him. My husband was back at my side before I knew it and was saying I almost had him he was inches away from grabbing his hands. I was scared to look at him fearing the worse but my natural reaction was to scoop him up in arms and did! I should not of incase he was hurt. No one came to your aid a few watched and walked away. We could nto get staff to help or call for help. We finally had to walk him out and flag down sercuity in the mall who called the EMT. He had no visable signs of issues but they could not hear bowel sounds so in the Ambulance we went rushed off to Childern's hospital ER. Luckily he was fine and no a even a scratch. The DR was amazed as the height of his fall and the concret floor should of done damage. We still tell him he must have 9 lives!

Moral is in an insant your whole life can change. No matter how much you watch your kids and how careful you are they are sneaky curious buggers with a mind of their own! All we can do is hug them and tell them we lve them each chance we get!!

Potentially tragic story with what looks to be a nice ending. Lots of support which is also positive.

But was this preventable? The child is 4. should ahve had some basic swimming lessons. Did he dive into the pool? fall and bump his head? How long was he in the water before someone noticed him? If he fell seems like someone would ahve noticed right away, like the person being splashed. If he dove into the pool it could take up to a minute before signs of drowning are visiable. But it does take a few minutes before brain cells start dying. Seems to me the Mother didn't just have the lotion in her bag or he wouldn't have just "disappeared" in a second or too that it takes to reach into or pick up a bag, unless he was unruly by habit.

This isn't to fault anyone, but the story does provide a good lesson to parents and children whether cruising or at home especially now that pools are open for the summer and schools are out. First is obviously teach your children to swim. Second is if you have to leave take the child with you or have someone nearby watch them. Children from 3 up should be able to understand and obey a simple partental command of "Sit here til I get back". Parents need to be parents.

Of course, simply by staying home or not getting pregnant. If not for the grace of GOD, most parents with kids know this or something else could happen to our children while in our loving care. We turn our back on them while on the changing table to get a new diaper, could fall off and cause brain damage. We left them crawl around the house before making sure every possible bit of object is removed. They are in the bath tub and the phone next to you and we turn to get it, yes possible drowning in a small amount of water. We misjudge size of hot dog or grape, possible choking. We send them to sleepovers not knowing the intimate details of all who might be visiting the house, possible abuse.

As parent we do our best and make mistakes, but hope and pray for the best. If something did not happen to our children it might have simply be through the grace of God. Red, please lets back up and simply pray for this child and family. The ultimate lesson could be if you want to guarantee a child don't get hurt in your care, don't have one. Danger is around every corner and some only escape through grace and luck.

As for parents need to be parents, what about parents need to love and cherish every moment with their child. It could all change in the blink of an eye.

Sit here til I get back, hope there isn't a fire while you are gone or a pervert approaching your child. What if something happens and you can't get back, the child stays put?

If not for the grace of God this story or similar could be mine or many less than perfect parent I know!

Prayers for this family.

A four-year-old should know how to swim? That is the minimum age you can begin lessons at our local rec pool and my child took several six-week sessions before she even began to swim. I have spent a lot of time trying to teach my younger child, but I'm pretty sure she would panic and sink if she fell into a deep pool at age four.

Drowning can happen very quickly and silently with no splashing.

As for ordering a child to stay put, some children do unexpected things. We watched a child who was about six being rescued by a lifeguard immediately after going under water at our local pool this week. While the father was signing the incident report, the child dashed off, ran up the stairs, and would have gone right back down the slide into the deep end had his father not caught him.

Where I live? Yeah, they should. I understand that for many people that don't live near the water swimming lessons can be expensive and that water activities are not part of your normal routine. Here in Florida, many children learn to water safe by two or three and swimmers by the age of four. My own children were going off a diving board by the age of four.

Nothing breaks my heart more than to hear about a child drowning. Many folks retire to Florida, buy a house with a pool, grandchildren come to visit and everyone thinks someone else is watching.

As I stated earlier, an even bigger issue is the overcrowding issue in those pools. You're right, drowning can be silent and sometimes a child is hard to see in the crowd.

Where I live? Yeah, they should. I understand that for many people that don't live near the water swimming lessons can be expensive and that water activities are not part of your normal routine. Here in Florida, many children learn to water safe by two or three and swimmers by the age of four. My own children were going off a diving board by the age of four.

Nothing breaks my heart more than to hear about a child drowning. Many folks retire to Florida, buy a house with a pool, grandchildren come to visit and everyone thinks someone else is watching.

As I stated earlier, an even bigger issue is the overcrowding issue in those pools. You're right, drowning can be silent and sometimes a child is hard to see in the crowd.

Where I come from, yeah they should, but don't, and may never will. I am from the Caribbean, land surrounded by wata, but few swimmers. This is also true for the African American community.

As a pool owner my thing is everyone watching the child means no one is watching. Someone is assigned the responsibility when kids are by pool, the beach, or water park. You start to laugh and talk and before you know, one person assumes someone else was watching. I learned to swim at the young age of 43:D

Where I come from, yeah they should, but don't, and may never will. I am from the Caribbean, land surrounded by wata, but few swimmers. This is also true for the African American community.

As a pool owner my thing is everyone watching the child means no one is watching. Someone is assigned the responsibility when kids are by pool, the beach, or water park. You start to laugh and talk and before you know, one person assumes someone else was watching. I learned to swim at the young age of 43:D

You're absolutely right. Interestingly, an African-American Olympic gold medal winner (Culllen Jones) learned how to swim after a near drowning and now he sponsors, with conjunction with USA Swimming, a program geared to that community. I guess I just have a very healthy respect for the water.

First I truly hope this child continues to improve. It's a very difficult story to read and I don't wish that on any family ever.

As for swimming: First the money argument is a cop-out. I know some very poor people that manage to spend lots of money on stuff they don't need. Unless you are homeless with nothing I doubt you can't swing swim lessons. FWIW you don't need to be a member of the Y to take the swim classes. At least not the ones I've gone to. Lessons are the way to go. No informal teaching by parents etc. are going to give kids the confidence they need, especially in a panic situation such as falling into a pool by accident.

That being said, 4 may be a little young to have had enough lessons. So that leads me to my next point. CHECK THE POOL FIRST. My kids are now 10 and 12. They are awesome swimmers, having had years of lessons. But when I am out around the house and I can't find them I check the pool before any other place. That is what any person should do if a pool is in the area.

Archived