Lodging in Rome

texas bound

We are planning to go to Rome a couple of days early to do sightseeing. When looking for lodging there are very wide ranges of prices. We don't have to have the best but we don't want a dump either.

Can you give me some suggestions in the $100/night price range? If I stay that low, will the lodging be a dump?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595 More info there!!

We stayed at Hotel Canada (A Best western) And wow, for a 150 Euro It was a super nice hotel!! I have stayed in some pretty $$$ hotels (thanks to points and being lucky,lol) and this one was super!! Close to the Termini train station! We walked back from the Colosseum (thank you transit strikers) and at a slow pace, stopping for a beer (only required 1 as it was large, :D) took maybe 40 minutes! http://www.hotelcanadaroma.com/

They spoke English--super nice!! AND get this--we arrived around 10 am only had to wait 10 min for our room to be ready! We were just expecting to be able to drop off our luggage, but nope, since the room was rdy, they allowed us in to it! Super nice of them!

I cannot recommend the Maison Giulia more highly. It is in your price range, is a small boutique type hotel who have great owners and staff. Location is great being a couple of blocks away from Campo di Fiore. Decent small breakfast included in the price. Promised the owners that I would do what I could to sing their praises, thus my message to all who read this.

You will not get much at all for $100, if anything. Also, you will want to stay in the central area, which I learned through personal experience is NOT anywhere near Termini.

Check out www.relaisteatroargentina.com. It was 180 euros a night including breakfast, and a five to ten minute walk from all the major sites, i.e. Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Forum, Colosseum, and Vatican. The hotel is just 6 rooms, but they are spacious and the baths are great--and the location can't be beat.

I have heard that www.the-beehive.com is a decent hostel in a decent area, not stayed there but have friends who have.

Do yourself a huge favor--stay someplace central, so you can enjoy the flavor of the city and not waste your time schlepping back and forth to out-of-the-way places. Rome is a fantastic city!!

search hotels in rome on Tripadvisor. Good luck. The room Flames 9 speaks of is going to run $200 a night. We stayed in Hotel Mozart which was comparably priced.

We don't tire of Rome. Enjoy your time there.

Although well above the $100 range, the Albergo del Senato is wonderful. It is right next to the Pantheon, and within walking distance of so many Rome sights. Perfect location, beautiful hotel, and very friendly, helpful staff.

I would suggest using the site venere.com. We used them to find a B&B near the Termini. The Termini area the place to catch a train to or from Civitavecchia. There are many reasonable places to stay in this area. We stayed at the Tropical. It may be a little rustic for some, but very clean and the owners are wonderful. The only problem is noise from the streets (no air conditioning). Check out places on Trip Advisor also. We are in our late 60s and had no problem walking the streets at any time.

Although well above the $100 range, the Albergo del Senato is wonderful. It is right next to the Pantheon, and within walking distance of so many Rome sights. Perfect location, beautiful hotel, and very friendly, helpful staff.

We stayed at this hotel on June 2nd and it was fabulous, but well over the $100 mark. The staff were excellent. Only one problem the roof top bar and the pigeons!! Excellent location and as you write within walking distance of so many of the sites. Even the Colosseum isn't that far to walk to if you just amble along and pace yourself.

Pamela

Hi - we are staying at the Hotel Mondial (also managed by Best Western) this upcoming July / August before and after our cruise.

We got an awesome rate (85 EUR per night) which includes breakfast. It is walking distance to Roma Termini train station and the reviews seem good enough.

UNA Hotel Roma is great and its a block from Termini and a Metro station. I recall it wasn't much more than US$100 a night, but that was in November. Summer may be a different story. We booked a special through the hotel's site.

Very friendly staff who spoke English, quiet and modern room, great breakfast buffet.

We stayed at this hotel on June 2nd and it was fabulous, but well over the $100 mark. The staff were excellent. Only one problem the roof top bar and the pigeons!! Excellent location and as you write within walking distance of so many of the sites. Even the Colosseum isn't that far to walk to if you just amble along and pace yourself.

Pamela

We too noticed all the pidgeons. But the rooftop views were just wonderful, especially the Pantheon at night!

We recently booked Hotel Londra And Cargill near Terminni station. I think the cost was $135 a night and got great reviews on tripadvisor.

We aren't there until the end of July but will try to provide a quick review for you if you don't travel until after then.

We have stayed at the Hotel Sonya twice and I'm sure we will stay there again if we return to Rome. You'll find many fellow cruisers there as well. If you look at their website: http://www.hotelsonya.it/default.html and click on "Special Offers", check for the Rick Steves rate. It's one of his recommended hotels and they offer a discount for his fans. It's convenient and clean plus it offers a lovely breakfast and free wifi.

Hi, we were in Rome a couple of years ago for a few days of sightseeing and we stayed at the Best Western Roma Globus. The hotel was in a nice neighbourhood with restaurants and cafes close by (5 min walk). Also, the hotel offered a free breakfast which was much better than the free ones you get in North America. The termini was about a 10 min walk from the hotel and 2 stops from the Colosseum. Outside this termini they have hop on hop off buses available which we took. I believe it cost around $20.00 for 24 hours which was definately worth the money. We took the bus and stayed on through the whole tour which was in the evening and then the next day we knew where we wanted to stop and took the bus the next day touring the city. Also, if this is your first time in Rome, at the Colosseum, people will approach you to try to get you to join their group. Don't, It is not worth the money. Get in line and the hosts at the Colosseum will give you a headset so you can do the tour yourself. ...Enjoy your trip and let me know where you ended up staying! Depending on when you are going, this hotel today shows a $99.00 price tag... Enjoy!

Okay. Albergo del Senato, while beautiful, will be triple or more the proposed price.

Yes, you can find cheaper hotels near Termini, but it is inconvenient to the major sites (about a 15-20 minute walk to the Colosseum, much farther to other sites) and if you only have a few days, why would you want to spend your time so far away from where you want to be?

We stayed near Termini for a week; on our most recent visit, last month, we stayed in the Centro Storico and the difference in the experience was huge. Everything about it was better--it wasn't seedy as the Termini area can be, the restaurants were much better, and everything was close by. From our hotel near Termini, we had to walk 10 minutes just to get the bus to take us to the places we wanted to go!!

We have stayed at the Hotel Sonya twice and I'm sure we will stay there again if we return to Rome. You'll find many fellow cruisers there as well. If you look at their website: http://www.hotelsonya.it/default.html and click on "Special Offers", check for the Rick Steves rate. It's one of his recommended hotels and they offer a discount for his fans. It's convenient and clean plus it offers a lovely breakfast and free wifi.

We are considering the Hotel Sonya for our pre cruise stay in Nov. My husband has a scooter. Are there many steps to get into the building?

we stayed at a small boutique hotel about 1 block behind the Piazza de Republica. It was a very central location. There were not many rooms but they were lovely, quiet and had air conditioning. The receptionist was very helpful with directions, and places to eat, making reservations for us. They stored our luggage for us the day we checked in and it was in our room when we returned. It's about $200 per night.

Good luck!

Okay. Albergo del Senato, while beautiful, will be triple or more the proposed price.

Yes, you can find cheaper hotels near Termini, but it is inconvenient to the major sites (about a 15-20 minute walk to the Colosseum, much farther to other sites) and if you only have a few days, why would you want to spend your time so far away from where you want to be?

We stayed near Termini for a week; on our most recent visit, last month, we stayed in the Centro Storico and the difference in the experience was huge. Everything about it was better--it wasn't seedy as the Termini area can be, the restaurants were much better, and everything was close by. From our hotel near Termini, we had to walk 10 minutes just to get the bus to take us to the places we wanted to go!!

Good post. Pay an extra 100 E to make things easier. Money well spent.:)

$100 a night will not get you a very satisfactory room in Rome. You have two things working against you...

1) Major European cities are very expensive to begin with.

2) The dollar to euro conversion is not in your favor.

In the US you may be able to find a decent night's sleep for $100 in some places, but not likely in Rome. To be completely honest I would consider moving your target price to $175 and see what that gets you. You may get lucky at $150, but I think you have a better chance slightly north of that... but definitely north of $100.

Depending on when your trip is - low season (Nov 1st and later) will provide some better room pricing. But don't go too cheap. Make sure you research through tripadvisor and weigh out the glorious reviews against the negative...somewhere in the middle will be the truth - unless all reviews are glorious and go way back in time..then the hotel probably is glorious. Get a room with some sort of breakfast included - even juice and coffee can set you back if you have to pay for it.

If you have never been to Rome and if it is unlikely you will be returning - why not splurge a little.

We have stayed on two separate occasions close to the train station and plan on doing so again this coming November. Love the location and found the area as safe as any where else you might lodge. The bus system can get you anywhere (just keep a hand on your wallet at all times - or better still get AND use a money belt). I had my wallet stollen out of my zippered purse and never felt a thing..this by the way did not happen near the train station but in the centre of Rome.

We are planning to go to Rome a couple of days early to do sightseeing. When looking for lodging there are very wide ranges of prices. We don't have to have the best but we don't want a dump either.

Can you give me some suggestions in the $100/night price range? If I stay that low, will the lodging be a dump?

I am staying in Rome for 6 nights at the end of October 2013 prior to a westbound TA on the Celebrity Reflection. This time frame is still considered the "high season" and hotels are still terribly expensive. I decided to book an apartment through Airbnb.com. Lots of selection at every price range and locations throughout the city. You can get some places for as few as 2-3 days.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile LTE 4G network using Tapatalk Beta 4

Archived